UP English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Third Topic

+14
Florian MICHEL
audreyl
Amandinelau
Naima Sais
Romane Aubinel
AlexiaChambinaud
Gaëlle
Alex Lasserre
Marjorie Braud
Emma Herry
Manon Lopez
Anaël Maublanc
Eloïse B
Admin
18 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The Third Topic Empty The Third Topic

Post by Admin Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:09 pm

With no lesson next week or the week after I'll put this up now so that you don't forget me. Crying or Very sad

Cosmetics? Make of that what you will.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

The Third Topic Empty Re: The Third Topic

Post by Eloïse B Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:00 am

I remember watching a video called "Can it be feminist to wear makeup?" by Buzzfeed, and I say yes! I love wearing makeup, but I hate when it is tested on animals. There are several other ways to test a product without having to test it on animals. My cosmetics (makeup, hygiene) and most of my household products are cruelty-free. This is very important to me, there is absolutely no reason why someone should suffer for me to feel pretty! Well I could type an Alex-long message (this could become a unit of measure Wink ) but as this is the first post I don't want to frighten anyone ^^

Eloïse B

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:51 am

It's actually quite a good question isn't it?

There is 1 sex which predominantly wears makeup. Why do they do that whilst the other doesn't? If it's due to the pressure to look better to the other sex doesn't that make it a question of feminism?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Anaël Maublanc Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:39 pm

To beginning this new subject, I just want to add at the age of kings, courtiers, nobility and so on, only men could wear makeup. In fact, they applied makeup to their face (they covered their face with white powder to give semblance of pure face), their eyes... It was a sign of wealth and power. They never went out without to stay hours on their bathrooms whereas it was forbidden for women to wear wakeup... Society reversed the trend several years later.

However, I don't think it's in link with a question of feminism. Actually, we can meet women who don't apply makeup to their face, they prefer stay natural without trick. Why can't we judge them as feminist too? Because they refuse to follow "custom" of society.
Cosmetics are means of expression yes but for me it's more to take confidence and take care of yourself than to be feminist.

To finish, I just come back to the Eloïse's speech, I totally agree with her in that cosmetics shouldn't test on animals for beauty of women. In fact, cosmetics stay artificial and not vital. I use cosmetics but as Eloïse, it's impossible for me to imagine a poor animal suffers for me, suffers for my personal desire... That's why I use "bio" cosmetics which are certifed "no testing on animals".

Anaël Maublanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Manon Lopez Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:33 pm

Hello everybody,

I constat that we wanted to make pleasure to girls with this subject…

Personnally, I love the make up when it’s discreet, you’ve got to understand with discreet that’s the make up we apply during many hours in our bathroom and that nobody notices…
Sometimes I find that some people use so much make up and it’s not really beautiful when you’ve got a foundation circle on the face after having said hello to a girl, or if she let a visible mark of lipstick on your cheek..

But I must admit that the make up is usefulness, I say that because nothing else gives you the opportunity to seem awaken when you just slept 2 hours the night before, Too, it’s thanks to it that you can go out with a big acne in the middle of the face (except in exceptional cases where you can’t fight..)
Even though women use more make up than men, it seems that the make up is more and more used by men because marketing advances incite them to use creams or other cosmetics for their skins, it’s finished the time where men went out on Sunday with only their jogging and sweat, when they were natural.

So I say yes to make up, but in a small amount.

Manon Lopez

Back to top Go down

Post by Emma Herry Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:52 pm

Hi Mr. Cox!

Don't worry, we will not forget you and it's gonna be nice for you, you will take a break from us and you'll be able to go back to Soulac-Sur-Mer! Smile

So let's talk about cosmetics!
Did you ever wore makeup? (I'm sur you did, when you were in a famous band ahahah)

I'm not agree with Anaël when she says that "Society reversed the trend " because yes women are allowed to wear cosmetics now but men too! and some men wore it everyday! (Actors, anchorman, artists, regurlar men,..)

Cosmetics is great invention! Oh my God! It's saves my life everyday! (like foundation is magical ahahah) The makeup makes you feel prettier, makes you have more confident and can reveal some aspects of your personnality.
Women (or men) you choose to not wearing makeup is great too, because they don't need these "help" "tricks" to be themselves.

The thing is, like everything else, makeup can be bad: when they use it on animals or use animals to create it. So you need to be careful about what you are buying but Brand should be aginst it too!

One bad thing too, is people who are not good at makeup: let me explains, people who are wearing makeup but badly, like wrong colors, too much on your eyes and lips (Christina C, say it: if you apply makeup on your eyes, you don't touch the lips!) or we have an expression in French (that i love it) : Etre maquillé comme un camion volé.

Anyway, have a grat week, and great holidays!

See you soon!

Emma Herry

Back to top Go down

Post by Anaël Maublanc Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:17 pm

Yes I know men wear cosmetics today too but I would to say before they used it more than women and actually it's the other, but yes more and more we can see men who use makeup and so on Smile

Anaël Maublanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Marjorie Braud Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:04 pm

Hi everybody! I hope you had a good weekend !

To my mind, I don’t have a clear opinion regarding cosmetics. On one hand I love to put on make-up, but on the other hand I hate to have to remove it, especially in the evening while my only desire is to go to sleep. So this is an issue for me. That is why I use to put on make-up only on weekends.
Anyway, to my mind there is two ways to use make-up: the one that has for purpose to make more beautiful and the other way that is to hide imperfections. If make-up is used lightly, then the result should be good. But if it becomes excessive, the result is quickly disappointing. I really hate girls that cover their face with a huge quantity of cosmetics and others artifices such as fake eyelash. To my mind this is lying about “the goods”.
So, girls don’t necessarily have to put on make-up to be feminine, as it is only a “trick”.
Finally, I am also against tests on animals. I hate the idea that lipstick or nail polish could be tested on animals for something such futile as cosmetics. Animals never asked for a such thing!

See you tomorrow ! (Oh no, we don't have class of english Crying or Very sad It's so bad)

Marjorie Braud

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:19 am

Anaël Maublanc wrote:To beginning this new subject, I just want to add at the age of kings, courtiers, nobility and so on, only men could wear makeup. In fact, they applied makeup to their face (they covered their face with white powder to give semblance of pure face), their eyes... It was a sign of wealth and power. They never went out without to stay hours on their bathrooms whereas it was forbidden for women to wear wakeup... Society reversed the trend several years later.

Good point.

So why did men stop using make-up? - my history of cosmetics is very poor - sorry.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:20 am

Manon Lopez wrote:Hello everybody,

I constat that we wanted to make pleasure to girls with this subject…

That is always my desire. Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:24 am

Emma Herry wrote:Hi Mr. Cox!

Don't worry, we will not forget you and it's gonna be nice for you, you will take a break from us and you'll be able to go back to Soulac-Sur-Mer! Smile

So let's talk about cosmetics!
Did you ever wore makeup? (I'm sur you did, when you were in a famous band ahahah)

I'm not agree with Anaël when she says that "Society reversed the trend " because yes women are allowed to wear cosmetics now but men too! and some men wore it everyday! (Actors, anchorman, artists, regurlar men,..)

See you soon!

STAPS class at the moment - they have a video comprehension test - but I'm looking forward to Thursday afternoon and a short vacation.

Cosmetics for work - good point. And it's true more men are using cosmetics outside of work but I'm sure it's still a small percentage and mostly under 30's.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:26 am

Marjorie Braud wrote:Hi everybody! I hope you had a good weekend !

but on the other hand I hate to have to remove it, especially in the evening while my only desire is to go to sleep.

See you tomorrow ! (Oh no, we don't have class of english  Crying or Very sad  It's so bad)

Yeah what a bind to have to spend time cleaning it off when you just want to go to bed, but the hours some ladies spend putting it on amazes me.

No English this afternoon - enjoy your Packaging - I hope it's interesting.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Anaël Maublanc Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:26 pm

M. Cox wrote:So why did men stop using make-up? - my history of cosmetics is very poor - sorry.

I don't know exaclty when this change appeared but I suppose it's due to changes of society (evolution of the women's position, politics change, war, different stratums etc.). In fact after the period of the king's court (much more later), men left to war or worked to mines for example whereas women stayed at home. It was unsuitable men using makeup because their activites changed, aristocracy disappeared with period of king too. That's why I think customs change with different republics...

Anaël Maublanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Anaël Maublanc Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:27 pm

[quote="Anaël Maublanc"]
M. Cox wrote:So why did men stop using make-up? - my history of cosmetics is very poor - sorry.

I don't know exaclty when this change appeared but I suppose it's due to changes of society (evolution of the women's position, politics changes, war, different stratums etc.). In fact after the period of the king's court (much more later), men left to war or worked to mines for examples whereas women stayed at home. It was unsuitable men using makeup because their activities changed, aristocracy disappeared with period of king too. That's why I think customs have been transformed with different republics...

Anaël Maublanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex Lasserre Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:25 am

Let's talk about make-up and cosmetics shall we ? Well, it looked like John was feeling a bit lonely around that many womens so I thought I could come by Wink

Well, I'm not exactly an expert on cosmetics or make up in any kind of way but I think that for some people, men or women, these products are like a mask to hide what they don't like about their face for example. On a personal level I'm just not a big fan of girls wearing way to much make-up. A bit is cool, too much has the opposite effect and instead of looking attractive (which I guess is sometimes the point), they look just bad. I don't have much to had, but I wanted to ask something. How do you feel when a men tells you that he uses cosmetics or make-up ? Here I'm not talking about doing it for work or anything, just in the normal, regular daily life. Because, even though I know guys are doing it, I feel like it's kind of a taboo so I wanted to have your thoughts about it.

Have a good day Smile
Alex Lasserre
Alex Lasserre

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaëlle Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:54 am

Hello everyone !

I don't really know what I can say about cosmetics, I'm not a huge fan of it. Of course I'm using some but it depend of my mood, I can easily say that some morning I really don't care about what I look like and so make up isn't my first priority (I'm more used to spend time on my hair...).

Mr Cox what about that question ?
Emma Herry wrote:Did you ever wore makeup? (I'm sur you did, when you were in a famous band ahahah)

We don't have your answer...  Very Happy  

Have a nice day Smile

Gaëlle

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexiaChambinaud Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:02 pm

Hello, on cosmetics there are so much to say. To me, makeup/cosmetics is a real passion, It's art.

I note that more and more girls wear makeup. In addition, we see two trends, the Americans who want a makeup conspicuous, they play on shadows, they add fake eyelashes and the French wear a makeup to appear natural.

After each person uses makeup for some reason it good or not. Some girls wear makeup to give good face to hide her acne, its buttons, its tasks, to appear more beautiful, to feel better about herself or for fun changing face somehow.

I use makeup to have a bright complexion  but also to hide my buttons. However, since I see Youtubeuses for two years now makeup has become a real passion, especially lipsticks.

In the morning, I love to get up and tell me how I do my makeup today, what outfit I'll match with such a lipstick.

It's impossible for me to go out without makeup.  I prefer to give a image of a girl who takes care of herself. Some people think that makeup is useless or that it's superficial, I don't agree, everyone does as he wants and it's a way to have self-confidence.

However, I agree on the fact that girls who have perfect skin don't  need to put the foundation, what interest? focus your eyes or your lips Very Happy

This is super important for everyone even for boys, is to clean the skin and moisturise. The skin all day is going to be in contact with the pollution, it is important to clean it at night to remove all impurities and avoid having pimples. And moisturising is the second most important step, especially in winter. However it is better to favor products with good composition.

To conclude, I look right now the Halloween makeup and I really told me that makeup is really art and work, we must be patient, have the right tools, stand out from others and be crazy Very Happy.

Happy holiday Razz

AlexiaChambinaud

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:38 am

gaelle.vasse wrote:Hello everyone !

Mr Cox what about that question ?
Emma Herry wrote:Did you ever wore makeup? (I'm sur you did, when you were in a famous band ahahah)

We don't have your answer...  Very Happy  

Have a nice day Smile

You can call me John,

Yes in the 70's and 80's men in rock groups wore makeup. No I don't have a picture to post! tongue

Nowadays it's only on a Friday night with the high heels Shocked
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:41 am

AlexiaChambinaud wrote:

To conclude, I look right now the Halloween makeup and I really told me that makeup is really art and work, we must be patient, have the right tools, stand out from others and be crazy Very Happy.

Happy holiday Razz

We look forward to the pictures.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Romane Aubinel Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:56 pm

Hola, Hello, Buongiorno, Bonjour

I love this topic !!!!!!

For me, the makeup is synonymous of beauty, elegance and attraction ... (very small amount) as Emma would say I'm not talking of people made up like "camion volé"

For me cosmetics give the impression of a healthier person and enjoying a better career success.
I even read on a survey that we would more willingly confided to a well made-up person.
For me, makeup is a fun first and then it helps me to erase my impurities, strengthen its depth and radiance. So treated, it seems more "healthy" and "beautiful".

But do not forget that the most beauty is that of the heart !! hihihihihihi Laughing

Romane Aubinel

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaëlle Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:24 am

I saw this ad and then I thought about this topic, Japanes are crasy Razz !

Gaëlle

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:51 am

gaelle.vasse wrote:I saw this ad and then I thought about this topic, Japanes are crasy  Razz !

I think checking your internet history file would probably be fun - did you search "androgynous makeup" or "shemale comestics"?

The sad thing is I thought those girls looked very attractive! Embarassed

Is it as easy to do for western men? Could I become a passable lady? Suspect affraid
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaëlle Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:04 pm

You will be surprised that all those crazy ad I can find are part of a newsletter made by Culture Pub.
I love that website ! If someone is interested in the ads of the week : crazy Ikea ad, Clooney in Nespresso US...

But I think it's easier for asian guy to look like a girl, I would say it's because they have less beard. But be my guest John and have try... Wink

Gaëlle

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:12 pm

gaelle.vasse wrote:You will be surprised that all those crazy ad I can find are part of a newsletter made by Culture Pub.
I love that website ! If someone is interested in the ads of the week : crazy Ikea ad, Clooney in Nespresso US...

But I think it's easier for asian guy to look like a girl, I would say it's because they have less beard. But be my guest John and have try... Wink

Laughing

I've known some stubbly (do you know that word?) girls in my time.

(Not really)

That Clooney ad is funny, The zombie ad was tasty, poo humour is not my thing at all and that Spanish pout and dress are not passive!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaëlle Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:26 pm

Admin wrote:I've known some stubbly (do you know that word?) girls in my time.
 Like  her?

(And Google was my friend for the exact meaning of stubbly ^^)

Gaëlle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum