Fourth topic alternative

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fourth topic alternative

Post by Admin on Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:54 am

Watch this TED talk and comment:

how to make choosing easier
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 2828
Join date : 2015-01-02

View user profile http://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Fourth topic alternative

Post by Eloïse B on Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:20 am

Hi! Your post looked so lonely in this topic I decided not to leave you alone Wink I watched the video, and recognized the woman talking: I had already seen her other Ted talk "The art of choosing". The talk you posted relates to marketing, which is the art of making people choose and buy your product. It was very interesting to watch because she underlines the fact that we are in a consumerist society, where we are bombed with ads, brands and products. We cannot compare them all, be it because of a lack of time or a lack of knowledge (or anything else), but we still have to choose, and the mechanisms behind this choosing teach us a lot about people. This semester we study how we (and especially kids) learn how to consume, with Inès. We can influence people's choices thanks to Sheena Iyengar's tips, but what I want to remember is the lesson as a consumer, not a professional. We should sometimes take a bit more time to think about our choices, be they for food or life changes, even though not wondering is often easier (you study things once, then you repeat your choice once you have found the right thing for you) and our life changes seem more like an adventure if we do not take too much time thinking them.

Eloïse B

Posts : 60
Join date : 2015-09-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fourth topic alternative

Post by Admin on Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:17 am

Eloïse B wrote:Hi! Your post looked so lonely in this topic I decided not to leave you alone Wink

Thanks.

I knew that I had made an error as soon as I posted the "recommend a website" thread. Still it's important to allow (force) the consumer to make a choice isn't it?
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 2828
Join date : 2015-01-02

View user profile http://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Fourth topic alternative

Post by Laure on Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:42 pm

Ok let's try this one. I wanted to say that my favorite website is youtube because I use it for every problem I have. You can find advises about everything there. But, It's better to work on my listening (Toeic is coming)
I'm aware that we make a lot of choices every day. And of course a CEO makes more choices than me, it's kind of his job, and 9 minutes is a long time!
I liked the "blind joke". Typically, in a grocery store, I love to have choices. Now, when I go to a small shop, I'm disturb, because I don't find what I want. I like to try new things, including food, and if I just have the basic products, I'm disappointed. The only exception is when I'm on vacation.
The marketing study about tasting jam is interesting and good to know. And I disagree when she says that we have the choice between 60 jars of mayonnaise because, we have a background, and we already know that we wouldn't buy a lot of them (budget, I pick the one mommy picked, the packaging is awesome). In my opinion, consumers like to have choices.
About management, Cut is interesting and I will try to remember it (and the numbers about p&G and cat litters). I didn't know Aldi was in the USA.
The road is so scary, but very beautiful indeed.
About the magazines, sometimes I want to buy one when I take a train for example, but I usually leave the shop with nothing because it's too messy even if the seller try to organize them in categories.
I bought a car this summer and it was really hard to choose one but my budget and the timing (I had 2 weeks to find my car) made the choice for me (and also my mom)
Good Night John, See you tomorrow!

Laure

Posts : 108
Join date : 2015-09-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fourth topic alternative

Post by Gaëlle on Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:22 pm

Here is the link to the TED I watched once and I liked Wink Enjoy ! https://youtu.be/c62Aqdlzvqk

Gaëlle

Posts : 257
Join date : 2015-09-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fourth topic alternative

Post by Admin on Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:28 pm

gaelle.vasse wrote:Here is the link to the TED I watched once and I liked Wink Enjoy ! https://youtu.be/c62Aqdlzvqk

You are so verbose with your posts. Very Happy

Aren't you in Olivier's class? Twisted Evil


Last edited by Admin on Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 2828
Join date : 2015-01-02

View user profile http://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Fourth topic alternative

Post by Admin on Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:29 pm

gaelle.vasse wrote:Here is the link to the TED I watched once and I liked Wink Enjoy ! https://youtu.be/c62Aqdlzvqk

Ah! you've met my mother in law then.
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 2828
Join date : 2015-01-02

View user profile http://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Fourth topic alternative

Post by Gaëlle on Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:48 pm

What a nice family you have !
I'm sorry for not being that talkative... it's just that I don't see the point of writing a huge text if my thoughts can ne sums up in two sentences ^^

Gaëlle

Posts : 257
Join date : 2015-09-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fourth topic alternative

Post by Admin on Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:51 pm

gaelle.vasse wrote:What a nice family you have !
I'm sorry for not being that talkative... it's just that I don't see the point of writing a huge text if my thoughts can ne sums up in two sentences ^^

You are quite right. Has your lesson finished yet?
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 2828
Join date : 2015-01-02

View user profile http://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Fourth topic alternative

Post by Laure on Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:11 pm

I heard so much about this video, and thanks to you Gale, I finally watch it. An ok it's fun!

Laure

Posts : 108
Join date : 2015-09-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fourth topic alternative

Post by Gaëlle on Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:46 pm

Laure wrote:and thanks to you Gale


Evil or Very Mad Do I look like him ?!
(I don't think so :p )

Gaëlle

Posts : 257
Join date : 2015-09-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fourth topic alternative

Post by Laure on Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:58 pm

He is sooo cute, you should be proud to look like him Smile

Laure

Posts : 108
Join date : 2015-09-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fourth topic alternative

Post by Admin on Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:00 pm

gaelle.vasse wrote:
Laure wrote:and thanks to you Gale


Evil or Very Mad Do I look like him ?!
(I don't think so :p )

He's tall isn't he? Razz
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 2828
Join date : 2015-01-02

View user profile http://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Fourth topic alternative

Post by Eloïse B on Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:40 pm

Laure wrote:And I disagree when she says that we have the choice between 60 jars of mayonnaise because, we have a background, and we already know that we wouldn't buy a lot of them (budget, I pick the one mommy picked, the packaging is awesome). In my opinion, consumers like to have choices.

I understand what you mean but don't you think it is sometimes just too much? I tend to avoid huge shops because it is just too big, and I know shopping will take too long, so I'd rather go to a medium size shop, where I will spend less time but still find what I need.

Eloïse B

Posts : 60
Join date : 2015-09-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fourth topic alternative

Post by Admin on Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:47 am

If the shop is not too full of people (and there are no long queues at the checkout) I find it quite relaxing to walk along the aisles, looking at mundane products and listening to life bustle around in the large stores. Then again it may be my age as I doubt I was like that 20 or 30 years ago.
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 2828
Join date : 2015-01-02

View user profile http://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Fourth topic alternative

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum