What are the topics of conversation that make people uncomfortable? What topics do you discuss that might be difficult in other countries?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What are the topics of conversation that make people uncomfortable? What topics do you discuss that might be difficult in other countries?

Post by Naima Sais on Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:57 pm

For my first topic I choose Taboo subject in different countries.
What are the topics of conversation that make people uncomfortable? What topics do you discuss that might be difficult in other countries?

I chose this subject because many of us traveled a lot in different countries so It's interesting for me to share with others the experience that we had and also to be prepared about things that we can discuss with other people and subjects which are better not to speak.

France :
In France, it's very difficult to talk about money because it's too private and it does not consern the public area. And French people won't try to learn more about how much do you earn because they understand how uncomfortable it is to explain this. It will be consider as vanity if you say that you earn a lot and shame if you say that you earn ot enough to live.
There are also other subject which are taboo like sex. In France it dépends on who do you speak with but generally sex is very private and you will be seen as a rude person if you try to know abour sexual practice of other people. It's very personal and there are not jokes about this like we can watch in the American's TV shows.
There is also Policy which is a very sensitive subject because there is so many problems in France about Policy with the attack of Paris or Charlie Hebdo. It's not a good idea to talk about that for now but if you are with friends or family there is no problem to discuss about this subject.
Religion become more and more taboo because of attack it happened in France lately so many people do "amalgam" between muslims and terrorist because they are afraid and they don't try to understand this religion and to consider this religion as the Jewish and Christian religion. And actually Religion is also private. Who care's about the religion, the religion does not defined who you are this is just a part of you, not YOU. So it's very complicated to find  open minded people to talk with but if you find people like that, you can debate and talk easily.

I don"t know if there are other subjects which are "taboo" in France.

Naima Sais

Posts : 22
Join date : 2015-09-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are the topics of conversation that make people uncomfortable? What topics do you discuss that might be difficult in other countries?

Post by Admin on Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:32 am

I think most of the topics you have mentioned for France are the same for England but to different extents. Money is one that I've never really understood. We all talk about wanting equality and a "transparent" society but as you say people don't like to talk about what they earn. I've always been open about this - usually because I earn less than my colleagues for doing more hours (that's without talking about quality). I'm also open with my students about it as it's good for them to understand that teaching isn't a high paid profession in many circumstances, and the inequality of pay for people doing the same job and at different quality levels is outrageous. In the private sector the pay for a teacher is terrible unless you work for yourself and have the right contacts and then it's more like a consultant's pay. When I compare teaching to other professions I'm shocked to see the disparity. I look at the "man hour" pay when I go to a mechanic for my car or for a plumber or electrician and I wonder why I spent 10 years studying at university to earn less than them. I guess it's because we need so many teachers and it's the state that pays for it. or maybe there's truth to the saying "Those that can, Do. those that can't, teach" Very Happy Not talking about pay is the basis of divide and conquer. In my alternative reality people are paid related to the efficient time that they work. Simply because I am more intelligent or adapt at one thing than somebody else shouldn't make such a big difference should it? My intelligence or skill is due to genetics or education or pure chance. It seems wrong that someone who makes as much effort to do their job as I do should be paid less (or more). People who don't try or don't want to work though are a different question.

Sex - I've found that the French are generally much more relaxed talking about sex than their English counterpart. Of course "peer" groups usually have much less problem within for all sectors. Men talk about sex with other men, Women talk about sex with other women the problems arise when it is cross generational or cross sex or cross denomination etc...Again it's hard to understand because it is a basic need for humanity, in fact it's probably more difficult for me to understand than the money problem.

Politics - I think that's easier now than in the past and easier in England than in France. It's something we should all discuss but probably it could be renamed so that we look at certain problems and solutions instead of seeing them as right or left wing. I generally hold liberal views and have leftist ideological sympathies but I also hold certain right wing views ans have benefitted greatly in my life from Right of centre political decisions. I think the bigger problem with politics is that too many of us don't really trust our representatives to do what is best for us (instead of best for themselves) we see corruption everywhere and we see that politics has become very centrist and - in England especially - there is not really much difference between one party and another. So we have lost interest in politics without realising that we have therefore lost our power.

Regarding what you said about Charlie Hebdo attacks and policy, I don't understand your thinking. Surely these types of attacks should make us discuss problems and policies more. Something isn't working properly and we need everyone's thoughts in order to find a good route out of a dangerous situation. We need to look at how we got into this situation what we did and didn't do that affected the situation. sometimes good intentions can lead to bad results.

Religion - is to do with power and control. Over recent years (centuries?) Christianity has begun to lose it's power over the populace of the west. Many of us don't believe, others just pay lip service and religion has become less of a taboo subject. Very recently thanks to technological advances the world has become a smaller place and brought the world population into much closer contact. Islam in the east hasn't seen the same diminution of power as Christianity and political decisions along with religious extremes have resulted in problem's that you mention and as you say religion has become more of a taboo subject. There is a major difference here between England and France. I feel that France has hidden it's head in the sand a little by dissociating Religion and state. This has increased rather than removed the problem. It has prevented educated discussion. In England all religions are taught and discussed within state school. It helps students to understand their peers, it helps people to discuss difference and similarity. To that extent religion is not a taboo subject in England and there are very few racial problems. Sadly due to political decisions and then actions in foreign countries radicalisation to some extent has occured in England in some situations and the problems in France are the same as in England but religion is not a taboo subject.

I guess there are a few more taboo subjects and the extent of their taboo depends on the group of people talking. Health problems or certain "diseases" Cancer - more easily spoken about by women today but probably not men (testicular cancer) - HIV etc... Rape, Death, family violence, the holocaust probably a lot more but I've gone on for long enough. I'd be interested to hear what subjects are taboo in China and the Middle East and South America etc... as I imagine they are different to we vain Europeans.
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 2617
Join date : 2015-01-02

View user profile http://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Re: What are the topics of conversation that make people uncomfortable? What topics do you discuss that might be difficult in other countries?

Post by Anaël Maublanc on Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:08 pm

Hello John, is it possible to talk about a subject I choose here and do not talk on the other web site with unknown... ? I don't know if it will be sufficient to have a mark.

I would like to talk about men or women who change the life of singers or actors... you know such as René Angélil and Céline Dion. I'm talking about them because yesterday it was his funeral and Canada was is national mourning. In fact, as I saw in TV show, couple is very famous and respected there because they represent values of life such as family, respect, love, work and so on. The funerak took place on the same church where they celebrated their mariage 21 years ago. A beautiful symbol... Well I don't know I just would to talk about it because it makes me sad and nostalgic ^^

Anaël Maublanc

Posts : 83
Join date : 2015-09-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are the topics of conversation that make people uncomfortable? What topics do you discuss that might be difficult in other countries?

Post by Naima Sais on Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:42 pm

Yes John i didn't think about health trouble but it's a taboo subject even if you're right when you say that its easier to stalk about it with women because it's a sensitive problem. And also domestic violence in a couple. I saw it and its normal that women or men don't want to express the feeling of shame. Because it is all about it.
I went in China last year for 4 month it was a amazing experience and I saw that the thing that we are not allowed to talk is policy because they are afraid of criticize the actual government. And when you want to learn more about it they change the subject. And one other thing is the relation between girl and boys (it depends on the region in China) it's impossible to see to people kiss each other. And about Charlie hebdo I wanted to explain that people don't make the difference about terrorism and Muslim people because terrorist say the fact that they did it for God. So they don't realized how ridiculous it is to find excuses of their acts. And I totally agree with troubadour your vision of work !

Naima Sais

Posts : 22
Join date : 2015-09-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are the topics of conversation that make people uncomfortable? What topics do you discuss that might be difficult in other countries?

Post by Admin on Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:09 pm

Anaël Maublanc wrote:Hello John, is it possible to talk about a subject I choose here and do not talk on the other web site with unknown... ? I don't know if it will be sufficient to have a mark.

I would like to talk about men or women who change the life of singers or actors... you know such as René Angélil and Céline Dion. I'm talking about them because yesterday it was his funeral and Canada was is national mourning. In fact, as I saw in TV show, couple is very famous and respected there because they represent values of life such as family, respect, love, work and so on. The funerak took place on the same church where they celebrated their mariage 21 years ago. A beautiful symbol... Well I don't know I just would to talk about it because it makes me sad and nostalgic ^^

Yes Anael you can talk about anything you want here to get your mark.

I don't know very much about Celine Dion and even mess about Angélil. What did they do that changed people's lives?
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 2617
Join date : 2015-01-02

View user profile http://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Re: What are the topics of conversation that make people uncomfortable? What topics do you discuss that might be difficult in other countries?

Post by CamilaCristanchoDuque on Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:46 pm

Concerning South America, most specifically Colombia, there are some topics that could be similar to those explained before. For example, in Colombia it is still seen as a taboo talking about money or incomes. This could be explained due to the fact that in our country we know that there is a lot of inequality, so you can find yourself easily in an awkward situation even with your relatives or friends. This type of inequality in the labor environment is not only related with the economic status or the social position of the person, but also it could be presented depending on the kind of profession, age, family name, etc.

Another taboo (very strange for me) is the age of women. In Colombia is extremely weird to find people asking to women their age. Usually this it is seen as rude and a little bit offensive. Actually, since we are young we have been taught to avoid asking the age to our elders, especially if they are women. Of course if you are asking to children, you won't have any problem. However, when should you stop? Well, this is difficult to say but if I have to give a number, I would say that probably you should stop at the age of 25 (good luck trying to guess!). My personal point of view is that this taboo is senseless and this is why the new generations don´t care about this! However, ask me again in 20 years just to be sure!

Additionally, as we have a country with a large Catholic population there are some topics that are inevitably taboo. Some of the most controversial are the abortion and the polygamy. In Colombia besides being prohibited, it is very polemic talking about this. You should have a very close relationship to address these kinds of issues.

CamilaCristanchoDuque

Posts : 40
Join date : 2015-09-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are the topics of conversation that make people uncomfortable? What topics do you discuss that might be difficult in other countries?

Post by Anaël Maublanc on Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:50 pm

John wrote:Yes Anael you can talk about anything you want here to get your mark.

I don't know very much about Celine Dion and even mess about Angélil. What did they do that changed people's lives?

First, it is thanks to Angélil the Celine's musical career has started. In fact he discovered her through a video she sent to him, to his production society because Angélil was manager and artistic agent. And it's in this way he changed the Celine's life. then, couple worked together to produce very famous songs and Angélil little by little has created a star, especialy through the music of the movie "Titanic" you know this song which stays everytime in our head... "My heart will go on". The most funny was that Celine didn't want to sing this music because she didn't like it^^ and finally Angélil succeeded to convince his wife. But the finally song everypeople hear is just the prototype song !!! Good job !
Secondly, I think they are famous especially through their vision of life, of the family... well I mean you know they had difficulties to have children and they stayed understanding. Today it's commonplace, it is the reality of alot families... That's why I can say they are a example for them. Moreover, they stayed and maybe will stay in love until the end of time and it is a very important value for people to see a respectful couple.

Anaël Maublanc

Posts : 83
Join date : 2015-09-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are the topics of conversation that make people uncomfortable? What topics do you discuss that might be difficult in other countries?

Post by Anaël Maublanc on Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:49 pm

Admin wrote:Yes Anael you can talk about anything you want here to get your mark.

I don't know very much about Celine Dion and even mess about Angélil. What did they do that changed people's lives?

First, it is thanks to Angélil the Celine's musical career has started. In fact he discovered her through a video she sent to him, to his production society because Angélil was manager and artistic agent. And it's in this way he changed the Celine's life. then, couple worked together to produce very famous songs and Angélil little by little has created a star, especialy through the music of the movie "Titanic" you know this song which stays everytime in our head... "My heart will go on". The most funny was that Celine didn't want to sing this music because she didn't like it^^ and finally Angélil succeeded to convince his wife. But the finally song everypeople hear is just the prototype song !!! Good job !
Secondly, I think they are famous especially through their vision of life, of the family... well I mean you know they had difficulties to have children and they stayed understanding. Today it's commonplace, it is the reality of alot families... That's why I can say they are a example for them. Moreover, they stayed and maybe will stay in love until the end of time and it is a very important value for people to see a respectful couple.[/quote]

Anaël Maublanc

Posts : 83
Join date : 2015-09-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are the topics of conversation that make people uncomfortable? What topics do you discuss that might be difficult in other countries?

Post by Anaël Maublanc on Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:55 pm

Ok John maybe we can talking about another subject because I know you don't know anything about René Angélil ^^

Well, what do you think about the last french movie "Chocolat"? Will you watch it in the cinema?

Anaël Maublanc

Posts : 83
Join date : 2015-09-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are the topics of conversation that make people uncomfortable? What topics do you discuss that might be difficult in other countries?

Post by Admin on Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:36 pm

Anaël Maublanc wrote:Ok John maybe we can talking about another subject because I know you don't know anything about René Angélil ^^

Well, what do you think about the last french movie "Chocolat"? Will you watch it in the cinema?

I saw something about this movie on the news this morning at 5:30am. What movie do I know the prinicpal actor from?

I guess it's a film looking at the history of race problems is it?

If you recommend it I'll watch it unless it's a musical (or a love story).
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 2617
Join date : 2015-01-02

View user profile http://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Re: What are the topics of conversation that make people uncomfortable? What topics do you discuss that might be difficult in other countries?

Post by Anaël Maublanc on Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:53 pm

The movie is with a famous french actor who names Omar Sy, you know he has a role is the film "Intouchable".

The synopsis of Chocolat is inspired by a real story but it's not a love story in fact it's about friendship. Yes you're right it's also about race problems especially money, play and discrimination where a black man becomes the first black artist in the stage of France.

Anaël Maublanc

Posts : 83
Join date : 2015-09-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are the topics of conversation that make people uncomfortable? What topics do you discuss that might be difficult in other countries?

Post by Alfonzo_Meneses on Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:17 pm

Hi Jhon and everyone here !! I've got some time to write an issue that could be important at least for me. This is about the Zika virus, I don't know if you know something about but i'ts today a big news in America. I have no knowledge of its origin, but which is transmitted by the bite of a mosquito. As well I must to say that I can not speak as an expert, and I'm not right there in this momento, I'm not a doctor neither, but I read some newspaper articles in the world and I 've talked to people in every corner of America , and there is much concern about this virus that it could become an epidemic or pandemic.
I have no knowledge if this virus has arrived in Europe , but in any case I hope not, because it is linked to other diseases as Guillain Barre syndrome.
This is a new story , perhaps interesting to comment.Greetings to all? Carlos Meneses!

Alfonzo_Meneses

Posts : 29
Join date : 2015-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are the topics of conversation that make people uncomfortable? What topics do you discuss that might be difficult in other countries?

Post by Admin on Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:10 am

Anaël Maublanc wrote:The movie is with a famous french actor who names Omar Sy, you know he has a role is the film "Intouchable".

The synopsis of Chocolat is inspired by a real story but it's not a love story in fact it's about friendship. Yes you're right it's also about race problems especially money, play and discrimination where a black man becomes the first black artist in the stage of France.

Something on French TV last night about Celine and Rene. I didn't watch it but I thought about you Wink
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 2617
Join date : 2015-01-02

View user profile http://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Re: What are the topics of conversation that make people uncomfortable? What topics do you discuss that might be difficult in other countries?

Post by Admin on Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:11 am

Alfonzo_Meneses wrote:Hi Jhon and everyone here !! I've got some time to write an issue that could be important at least for me. This is about the Zika virus, I don't know if you know something about but i'ts today a big news in America. I have no knowledge of its origin, but which is transmitted by the bite of a mosquito. As well I must to say that  I can not speak as an expert, and I'm not right there in this momento, I'm not a doctor neither, but I read some newspaper articles in the world and I 've talked to people in every corner of America , and there is much concern about this virus that it could become an epidemic or pandemic.
I have no knowledge if this virus has arrived in Europe , but in any case I hope not, because it is linked to other diseases as Guillain Barre syndrome.
This is a new story , perhaps interesting to comment.Greetings to all? Carlos Meneses!

It's one of the subjects that we may be discussing this afternoon, Carlos. We'll see what others know.
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 2617
Join date : 2015-01-02

View user profile http://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Re: What are the topics of conversation that make people uncomfortable? What topics do you discuss that might be difficult in other countries?

Post by JulieLhommede on Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:51 am

It is à polimical subject but it could be intéressant to know what is your opinion about the "mein kampf" republication in germany
Indeed à german publisher republish this horrible book with some comments written by this historians to better understand the content. This republication only available in german Will be print on 4000 copies. The booksellers have the choice to sell or no this book.
Well for me there is a problem because éven if the publisher recommand it for expert People (professor, historian) everybody can by it ...and without à critical spirit could be share this ideas. ..moreover with this terrorist ambiant ...
What do you think ? Is it good ?
A french publisher have a similary project

JulieLhommede

Posts : 22
Join date : 2015-09-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are the topics of conversation that make people uncomfortable? What topics do you discuss that might be difficult in other countries?

Post by Admin on Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:55 am

JulieLhommede wrote:It is à polimical subject but it could be intéressant to know what is your opinion about the "mein kampf" republication in germany
Indeed à german publisher republish this horrible book with some comments written by this historians to better understand the content. This republication only available in german Will be print on 4000 copies. The booksellers have the choice to sell or no this book.
Well for me there is a problem because éven if the publisher recommand it for expert People  (professor, historian) everybody can by it ...and without à critical spirit could be share this ideas. ..moreover with this terrorist ambiant ...
What do you think ? Is it good ?
A french publisher have a similary project

It's the first that I've heard about it.

I'll probably just read the summary comments. Very Happy
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 2617
Join date : 2015-01-02

View user profile http://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Re: What are the topics of conversation that make people uncomfortable? What topics do you discuss that might be difficult in other countries?

Post by CamilaCristanchoDuque on Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:24 pm

Hi guys!! Today I want to propose you to talk about carnivals!! As you may know, currently there are several carnivals all around the world! One of these has place in Barranquilla, Colombia.

In Colombia this is one of the most important national celebrations. In 2003 it was declared as one of the Masterpieces of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity by the UNESCO. In fact, people living in Barranquilla have 3 days of holidays due to this carnival. So, basically everyone love it!

The carnival officially begins the 16 of January and it last until the prior day to Ash Wednesday. During this time there are street dances, musical and masquerade parades. You may find as well performances of many styles of Colombian music. The Carnival comes to its end with the death of Joselito Carnival, which is the most representative character as the symbol of joy and celebration.

Barranquilla's Carnival slogan is: Who lives it, is who enjoys it (Quien lo vive, es quien lo goza). So I invite you to come at least one in your life ☺

So, that’s a little bit of what is happening in my country these days. What about you? Have you ever been in a carnival? Last year I was in Nice Carnival. For sure it was not what I was expecting, but maybe someone else can share its own experience.

CamilaCristanchoDuque

Posts : 40
Join date : 2015-09-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are the topics of conversation that make people uncomfortable? What topics do you discuss that might be difficult in other countries?

Post by Salvatore VENNETTILLI on Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:24 pm

Topics that make people uncomfortable ? Well, in France money for sure. When i was in ireland, no matter if i was with an american, canadian or australian person they weren't embarassed to talk about money. Which i think is great because money is seen as a curse in France ! Yes money doesnt' make everything in your life, but if you think about it, what can you do without money at the moment ? You can't even drink watter without money...
Well, sexe is also a problem. The people i met in Belfast (yes again but that's where i met open minded people ! ) were quite open about this (after a few drinks), but when it comes to homosexuality it becomes harder. With gay people it's not a problem, but with straight people, it's harder. I mean, we are an open minded generation, but it might be a european thing ! Because with american, or australian, who haven't all aggred on the gay mariage or adoption, the conversation truns pretty quickly into a fight ^^

Salvatore VENNETTILLI

Posts : 42
Join date : 2015-09-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are the topics of conversation that make people uncomfortable? What topics do you discuss that might be difficult in other countries?

Post by Admin on Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:14 am

CamilaCristanchoDuque wrote:Hi guys!! Today I want to propose you to talk about carnivals!! As you may know, currently there are several carnivals all around the world! One of these has place in Barranquilla, Colombia.

In Colombia this is one of the most important national celebrations. In 2003 it was declared as one of the Masterpieces of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity by the UNESCO. In fact, people living in Barranquilla have 3 days of holidays due to this carnival. So, basically everyone love it!

The carnival officially begins the 16 of January and it last until the prior day to Ash Wednesday. During this time there are street dances, musical and masquerade parades. You may find as well performances of many styles of Colombian music. The Carnival comes to its end with the death of Joselito Carnival, which is the most representative character as the symbol of joy and celebration.

Barranquilla's Carnival slogan is: Who lives it, is who enjoys it (Quien lo vive, es quien lo goza). So I invite you to come at least one in your life ☺

So, that’s a little bit of what is happening in my country these days. What about you? Have you ever been in a carnival? Last year I was in Nice Carnival. For sure it was not what I was expecting, but maybe someone else can share its own experience.

I've never really got into carnivals - too much drinking, dancing and happiness - as well as pickpockets. However in England there is an evening in early November where we build a very large community bonfire and have community fireworks whilst drinking mulled wine and eating hot potatoes, burgers, hot dogs.... It is a celebration of an attempt to blow up the houses of Parliament. The children make effigies of Guy Fawkes (the mastermind behind it) and they are burnt on the bonfire.
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 2617
Join date : 2015-01-02

View user profile http://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Re: What are the topics of conversation that make people uncomfortable? What topics do you discuss that might be difficult in other countries?

Post by JulieLhommede on Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:31 pm


Admin wrote:
CamilaCristanchoDuque wrote:Hi guys!! Today I want to propose you to talk about carnivals!! As you may know, currently there are several carnivals all around the world! One of these has place in Barranquilla, Colombia.

In Colombia this is one of the most important national celebrations. In 2003 it was declared as one of the Masterpieces of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity by the UNESCO. In fact, people living in Barranquilla have 3 days of holidays due to this carnival. So, basically everyone love it!

The carnival officially begins the 16 of January and it last until the prior day to Ash Wednesday. During this time there are street dances, musical and masquerade parades. You may find as well performances of many styles of Colombian music. The Carnival comes to its end with the death of Joselito Carnival, which is the most representative character as the symbol of joy and celebration.

Barranquilla's Carnival slogan is: Who lives it, is who enjoys it (Quien lo vive, es quien lo goza). So I invite you to come at least one in your life ☺️

So, that’s a little bit of what is happening in my country these days. What about you? Have you ever been in a carnival? Last year I was in Nice Carnival. For sure it was not what I was expecting, but maybe someone else can share its own experience.

I've never really got into carnivals - too much drinking, dancing and happiness - as well as pickpockets. However in England there is an evening in early November where we build a very large community bonfire and have community fireworks whilst drinking mulled wine and eating hot potatoes, burgers, hot dogs.... It is a celebration of an attempt to blow up the houses of Parliament. The children make effigies of Guy Fawkes (the mastermind behind it) and they are burnt on the bonfire.


Camila, did you ever participate in carnaval, but on a "char", dancing salsa with a costum ? Smile and not only as viewer !!!!

JulieLhommede

Posts : 22
Join date : 2015-09-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are the topics of conversation that make people uncomfortable? What topics do you discuss that might be difficult in other countries?

Post by Admin on Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:19 pm

JulieLhommede wrote:
Admin wrote:
CamilaCristanchoDuque wrote:Hi guys!! Today I want to propose you to talk about carnivals!! As you may know, currently there are several carnivals all around the world! One of these has place in Barranquilla, Colombia.

In Colombia this is one of the most important national celebrations. In 2003 it was declared as one of the Masterpieces of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity by the UNESCO. In fact, people living in Barranquilla have 3 days of holidays due to this carnival. So, basically everyone love it!

The carnival officially begins the 16 of January and it last until the prior day to Ash Wednesday. During this time there are street dances, musical and masquerade parades. You may find as well performances of many styles of Colombian music. The Carnival comes to its end with the death of Joselito Carnival, which is the most representative character as the symbol of joy and celebration.

Barranquilla's Carnival slogan is: Who lives it, is who enjoys it (Quien lo vive, es quien lo goza). So I invite you to come at least one in your life ☺️

So, that’s a little bit of what is happening in my country these days. What about you? Have you ever been in a carnival? Last year I was in Nice Carnival. For sure it was not what I was expecting, but maybe someone else can share its own experience.

I've never really got into carnivals - too much drinking, dancing and happiness - as well as pickpockets. However in England there is an evening in early November where we build a very large community bonfire and have community fireworks whilst drinking mulled wine and eating hot potatoes, burgers, hot dogs.... It is a celebration of an attempt to blow up the houses of Parliament. The children make effigies of Guy Fawkes (the mastermind behind it) and they are burnt on the bonfire.


Camila, did you ever participate in carnaval, but on a "char", dancing salsa with a costum ? Smile and not only as viewer !!!!

If you did we need the photos! Laughing
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 2617
Join date : 2015-01-02

View user profile http://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Re: What are the topics of conversation that make people uncomfortable? What topics do you discuss that might be difficult in other countries?

Post by Yara Bassil on Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:47 pm

woow, very interesting topic!

i would say sexual orientation... it's a little bit of a taboo in many different countries! well i mean the fact that we are still talking about it is ridiculous.
sorry if it's already said but i didn't have time to re read everything...

nice topic


Yara Bassil

Posts : 123
Join date : 2015-09-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are the topics of conversation that make people uncomfortable? What topics do you discuss that might be difficult in other countries?

Post by Admin on Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:01 pm

Yara Bassil wrote:woow, very interesting topic!

i would say sexual orientation... it's a little bit of a taboo in many different countries! well i mean the fact that we are still talking about it is ridiculous.
sorry if it's already said but i didn't have time to re read everything...

nice topic


I wonder if it's becoming more taboo to have any views against the less traditional sexual orientation.
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 2617
Join date : 2015-01-02

View user profile http://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Re: What are the topics of conversation that make people uncomfortable? What topics do you discuss that might be difficult in other countries?

Post by AlexiaChambinaud on Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:37 am

JulieLhommede wrote:It is à polimical subject but it could be intéressant to know what is your opinion about the "mein kampf" republication in germany
Indeed à german publisher republish this horrible book with some comments written by this historians to better understand the content. This republication only available in german Will be print on 4000 copies. The booksellers have the choice to sell or no this book.
Well for me there is a problem because éven if the publisher recommand it for expert People  (professor, historian) everybody can by it ...and without à critical spirit could be share this ideas. ..moreover with this terrorist ambiant ...
What do you think ? Is it good ?
A french publisher have a similary project


I think it's important that this book still exists:
- to not forget
- Aware of the stupidity of Hitler's speech
- Aware of how he managed to establish his dictatorship

However, I think the book should not be sold but rather free access in libraries. It's important to keep track of the history to the younger generations don't forget the stupidity and cruelty of Hitler. Indeed, it's easy that this kind of tragedy to come back if we are not careful and if we forget the past. You can easily fall in ditacture as shown in the film "La vague" Dennis Gansel.

So, personally, I find it important that we still studying in school, the history of the Second World War and passages of Mein Kampf.

AlexiaChambinaud

Posts : 21
Join date : 2015-09-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are the topics of conversation that make people uncomfortable? What topics do you discuss that might be difficult in other countries?

Post by AlexiaChambinaud on Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:16 am

CamilaCristanchoDuque wrote:What about you? Have you ever been in a carnival?

I like so much carnivals, costumes, floats, the atmosphere, the colors, the music, to hang out with friends ...

There are about five years old, I went to the carnival night in Nantes. A friend had her cousin who was playing in a "fanfare". For the moment, this is the best carnival I did. We danced every chariot. Each time, the theme and floats was different but so beautiful and well-worked.

Then when the "fanfare" arrived, we climbed on a wall, we danced, we shouted and took pictures. It's the best memory of the trip to Nantes.

Here are some pictures of the carnival:


AlexiaChambinaud

Posts : 21
Join date : 2015-09-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are the topics of conversation that make people uncomfortable? What topics do you discuss that might be difficult in other countries?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum