What are the topics of conversation that make people uncomfortable? What topics do you discuss that might be difficult in other countries?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: What are the topics of conversation that make people uncomfortable? What topics do you discuss that might be difficult in other countries?

Post by Naima Sais on Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:15 pm

JulieLhommede wrote:It is à polimical subject but it could be intéressant to know what is your opinion about the "mein kampf" republication in germany
Indeed à german publisher republish this horrible book with some comments written by this historians to better understand the content. This republication only available in german Will be print on 4000 copies. The booksellers have the choice to sell or no this book.
Well for me there is a problem because éven if the publisher recommand it for expert People  (professor, historian) everybody can by it ...and without à critical spirit could be share this ideas. ..moreover with this terrorist ambiant ...
What do you think ? Is it good ?
A french publisher have a similary project

I think it's good because most of us know about this book and it's a good way to do not forget the history and the mistaken which have been done in the past. In germany they are very sensitive about this subject and they don't really know how to react about this because the new generation is not concerned about that but their family perhaps got involved so it's complicated. It's a good idea but it dépends on the use that they will have.

Naima Sais

Posts : 22
Join date : 2015-09-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are the topics of conversation that make people uncomfortable? What topics do you discuss that might be difficult in other countries?

Post by CamilaCristanchoDuque on Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:02 pm

JulieLhommede wrote:
Admin wrote:
CamilaCristanchoDuque wrote:Hi guys!! Today I want to propose you to talk about carnivals!! As you may know, currently there are several carnivals all around the world! One of these has place in Barranquilla, Colombia.

In Colombia this is one of the most important national celebrations. In 2003 it was declared as one of the Masterpieces of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity by the UNESCO. In fact, people living in Barranquilla have 3 days of holidays due to this carnival. So, basically everyone love it!

The carnival officially begins the 16 of January and it last until the prior day to Ash Wednesday. During this time there are street dances, musical and masquerade parades. You may find as well performances of many styles of Colombian music. The Carnival comes to its end with the death of Joselito Carnival, which is the most representative character as the symbol of joy and celebration.

Barranquilla's Carnival slogan is: Who lives it, is who enjoys it (Quien lo vive, es quien lo goza). So I invite you to come at least one in your life ☺

So, that’s a little bit of what is happening in my country these days. What about you? Have you ever been in a carnival? Last year I was in Nice Carnival. For sure it was not what I was expecting, but maybe someone else can share its own experience.

I've never really got into carnivals - too much drinking, dancing and happiness - as well as pickpockets. However in England there is an evening in early November where we build a very large community bonfire and have community fireworks whilst drinking mulled wine and eating hot potatoes, burgers, hot dogs.... It is a celebration of an attempt to blow up the houses of Parliament. The children make effigies of Guy Fawkes (the mastermind behind it) and they are burnt on the bonfire.


Camila, did you ever participate in carnaval, but on a "char", dancing salsa with a costum ? Smile and not only as viewer !!!!

Really good question JulieLhommede!! Actually, I have never participated in a carnival!! I guess I could try... However, have you ever seen the kind of people who dance there? It's insane!!! I think they are all professional dancers. So, this means I have nothing to do there!! I would just be embarrassed of myself. At least it could make some people laugh XD LOL
Anyway, talking seriously, I think I could play some instruments, for example I could play congas or drums. I would not suck that much on this, I swear XD
What do you think if we try together, I can play congas and you can dance samba. It seems really promising.

CamilaCristanchoDuque

Posts : 40
Join date : 2015-09-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are the topics of conversation that make people uncomfortable? What topics do you discuss that might be difficult in other countries?

Post by CamilaCristanchoDuque on Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:12 pm

Admin wrote:
JulieLhommede wrote:
Admin wrote:
CamilaCristanchoDuque wrote:Hi guys!! Today I want to propose you to talk about carnivals!! As you may know, currently there are several carnivals all around the world! One of these has place in Barranquilla, Colombia.

In Colombia this is one of the most important national celebrations. In 2003 it was declared as one of the Masterpieces of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity by the UNESCO. In fact, people living in Barranquilla have 3 days of holidays due to this carnival. So, basically everyone love it!

The carnival officially begins the 16 of January and it last until the prior day to Ash Wednesday. During this time there are street dances, musical and masquerade parades. You may find as well performances of many styles of Colombian music. The Carnival comes to its end with the death of Joselito Carnival, which is the most representative character as the symbol of joy and celebration.

Barranquilla's Carnival slogan is: Who lives it, is who enjoys it (Quien lo vive, es quien lo goza). So I invite you to come at least one in your life ☺

So, that’s a little bit of what is happening in my country these days. What about you? Have you ever been in a carnival? Last year I was in Nice Carnival. For sure it was not what I was expecting, but maybe someone else can share its own experience.

I've never really got into carnivals - too much drinking, dancing and happiness - as well as pickpockets. However in England there is an evening in early November where we build a very large community bonfire and have community fireworks whilst drinking mulled wine and eating hot potatoes, burgers, hot dogs.... It is a celebration of an attempt to blow up the houses of Parliament. The children make effigies of Guy Fawkes (the mastermind behind it) and they are burnt on the bonfire.


Camila, did you ever participate in carnaval, but on a "char", dancing salsa with a costum ? Smile and not only as viewer !!!!

If you did we need the photos! Laughing

LOL sorry to disappoint you!! However, you can ask me again in a couple of weeks. I think JulieLhommede and I are going to debut this year XD

P.S. We still have available places for those who want to join us!

CamilaCristanchoDuque

Posts : 40
Join date : 2015-09-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are the topics of conversation that make people uncomfortable? What topics do you discuss that might be difficult in other countries?

Post by AlexiaChambinaud on Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:55 pm

Anaël Maublanc wrote:Well, what do you think about the last french movie "Chocolat"? Will you watch it in the cinema?

I watch this weekend the movie The Revenant.

I liked this movie, Leonardo Dicaprio deserves his Oscar, he plays really well. One of my favorite scenes is when he fights with a bear. This scene is very realistic and It's triggering factor of the movie. I also found that the other actors are good especially Tom Hardy that I had not recognized. The music is really related to the story. Landscape are magnificent, I recommend this movie.

AlexiaChambinaud

Posts : 21
Join date : 2015-09-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are the topics of conversation that make people uncomfortable? What topics do you discuss that might be difficult in other countries?

Post by JulieLhommede on Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:33 pm

Waouh ! It is horrible, yesturday it Was the super tuesday in the USD' 12 states voted, Donald trump won 7 stats aginst ted cruz (3) and in side the democratic parti hilary Clinton won on 7 stats too against sanders (4)
Américan are so stupid to vote trump and his FN revendication whereas they could vote for a democratic à few socialist but Who propose the free éducation... ??!

JulieLhommede

Posts : 22
Join date : 2015-09-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are the topics of conversation that make people uncomfortable? What topics do you discuss that might be difficult in other countries?

Post by Anaël Maublanc on Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:24 pm

alexiachambinaud wrote:I watch this weekend the movie The Revenant.

I liked this movie, Leonardo Dicaprio deserves his Oscar, he plays really well. One of my favorite scenes is when he fights with a bear. This scene is very realistic and It's triggering factor of the movie. I also found that the other actors are good especially Tom Hardy that I had not recognized. The music is really related to the story. Landscape are magnificent, I recommend this movie.

Ohh I would like to see it but after see the trailer I thank it is a very violence movie, isn't it? That's why I saw Zootopie !!! It was just awesome with beautiful drawings and so cute landscapes. Moreover it put on hold ! Yes really it's possible ! Laughing
Even if it is a movie intends for children, the story can be appreciated by adult because it links humor, action, morality, work and friendship Smile

Anaël Maublanc

Posts : 83
Join date : 2015-09-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are the topics of conversation that make people uncomfortable? What topics do you discuss that might be difficult in other countries?

Post by Admin on Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:07 pm

JulieLhommede wrote:Waouh !  It is horrible, yesturday it Was the super tuesday in the USD' 12 states voted, Donald trump won 7 stats aginst ted cruz  (3) and in side the democratic parti hilary Clinton won on 7 stats too against sanders  (4)
Américan are so stupid to vote trump and his FN revendication whereas they could vote for a democratic à few socialist but Who propose the free éducation... ??!

Maybe Trump sounds terrible to us Europeans but clearly millions of Americans like his ideas and if I understand correctly Cruz is even more right wing and weird (to us Europeans). We are more aligned to the philosophy of the Democrats (who would mostly still be right wing in France and England). However Sanders has added a new dimension with his socialist (?) agenda. Free education and health care for all Americans and a tax system that redistributes wealth!!! Surely he has no chance!
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 2426
Join date : 2015-01-02

View user profile http://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Re: What are the topics of conversation that make people uncomfortable? What topics do you discuss that might be difficult in other countries?

Post by Admin on Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:08 pm

Anaël Maublanc wrote:
alexiachambinaud wrote:I watch this weekend the movie The Revenant.

I liked this movie, Leonardo Dicaprio deserves his Oscar, he plays really well. One of my favorite scenes is when he fights with a bear. This scene is very realistic and It's triggering factor of the movie. I also found that the other actors are good especially Tom Hardy that I had not recognized. The music is really related to the story. Landscape are magnificent, I recommend this movie.

Ohh I would like to see it but after see the trailer I thank it is a very violence movie, isn't it? That's why I saw Zootopie !!! It was just awesome with beautiful drawings and so cute landscapes. Moreover it put on hold ! Yes really it's possible !  Laughing  
Even if it is a movie intends for children, the story can be appreciated by adult because it links humor, action, morality, work and friendship Smile

Other than the (pathetic) Bear attack, the Revenant wasn't too violent but I think I'd prefer to watch Zootopie too. Is it right that a Fox is the hero?
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 2426
Join date : 2015-01-02

View user profile http://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Re: What are the topics of conversation that make people uncomfortable? What topics do you discuss that might be difficult in other countries?

Post by Anaël Maublanc on Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:59 pm

admin wrote:Other than the (pathetic) Bear attack, the Revenant wasn't too violent but I think I'd prefer to watch Zootopie too. Is it right that a Fox is the hero?

Yes of course, a cute fox but the famous animal in this movie is the little rabbit Smile Behind this friendship there are moralities about stereotypes. In fact, foxes are crafty animals and we can't be confident with them... But in Zootopie movie, stereotypes fall, it's a very beautiful life's lesson. It's the same for the rabbit which wants to become police officer, she (because she is a girl rabbit^^) is the first rabbit to work for police !

Anaël Maublanc

Posts : 83
Join date : 2015-09-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are the topics of conversation that make people uncomfortable? What topics do you discuss that might be difficult in other countries?

Post by JulieLhommede on Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:13 am

Yes anael it is the first rabbit police, but you know dorothé our french singer, sang "ce'matin un lapin à tué un chasseur", Hey maybe she Was avant-gardist.
Ps: john, sorry it is a french bad joke, but it Was not inspired. .. ☺

JulieLhommede

Posts : 22
Join date : 2015-09-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are the topics of conversation that make people uncomfortable? What topics do you discuss that might be difficult in other countries?

Post by Admin on Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:18 am

JulieLhommede wrote:Yes anael it is the first rabbit police, but you know dorothé our french singer, sang "ce'matin un lapin à tué un chasseur", Hey maybe she Was avant-gardist.
Ps: john, sorry it is a french bad joke, but it Was not inspired. .. ☺

Dorothé isn't really a singer is she?
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 2426
Join date : 2015-01-02

View user profile http://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Re: What are the topics of conversation that make people uncomfortable? What topics do you discuss that might be difficult in other countries?

Post by JulieLhommede on Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:28 am

Hum, it is à polimical subject. ... ☺

Alexia, I would like answer at your post, but, i don't like Di caprio, and the film the revenant it doesnt matter ☺

JulieLhommede

Posts : 22
Join date : 2015-09-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are the topics of conversation that make people uncomfortable? What topics do you discuss that might be difficult in other countries?

Post by Anaël Maublanc on Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:49 pm

Ah ah ah... You're the best Julie !  Cool  But as we said with Alexia this afternoon, we don't know what is the weapon !! Imagine a rabbit kills a hunter with a knife.. Have you meet a policeman using a knife ??

Anaël Maublanc

Posts : 83
Join date : 2015-09-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are the topics of conversation that make people uncomfortable? What topics do you discuss that might be difficult in other countries?

Post by Alfonzo_Meneses on Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:30 pm

Hello everybody,
Jhon how are you ?

Regarding your comment about some professions and some people that invest time and money in studies for then get in to a market with low wages so far from the sacrifice they have made, I think you're right . I do not know how it works in every country in the world , but I know that being a teacher is a profession that is not well appreciated in many cases because the payment is very bad and it is a constant struggle for these education professionals i'ts a fight at least in my country government after government looking for better solutions. I think you're right when you say that perhaps it is unfair that people who have many years of study earn less than others who have not prepared too much , however , we all know that the system also works like this and in many cases we can see that a degree does not guarantee a good salary in all cases .

Alfonzo_Meneses

Posts : 29
Join date : 2015-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are the topics of conversation that make people uncomfortable? What topics do you discuss that might be difficult in other countries?

Post by Alfonzo_Meneses on Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:40 pm

About Topics conversations:

Regarding the difficult to discuss issues , I think that all issues related to religion , politics , sex , customs, rascism etc , are issues very complicated because each person has different beliefs and values, so you need to look a very subtle form of address these issues without hurting susceptibilities.


Alfonzo_Meneses

Posts : 29
Join date : 2015-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are the topics of conversation that make people uncomfortable? What topics do you discuss that might be difficult in other countries?

Post by Alfonzo_Meneses on Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:45 pm

About topics conversations:

Personally I am passionate about these issues because I really like general knowledge, have experience, to know different cultures , world history etc, except math and numbers that never I confess I've been good lol !

In the world there are many taboos , even today, I think there is a lot of "double moral" everywhere and not a real understanding of what should truly be, I mean have a human world, and understand humanity merely as acceptance tolerance, respect and fraternity between people, beyond religion , race, sex , etc. Probably my words are not new, many people have said this around the world , the question is just doing .
As a foreign student , I am very analytical of the things I see , I mean my experiences and I know that finally is something positive.

Alfonzo_Meneses

Posts : 29
Join date : 2015-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are the topics of conversation that make people uncomfortable? What topics do you discuss that might be difficult in other countries?

Post by CamilaCristanchoDuque on Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:51 pm

AlexiaChambinaud wrote:
Anaël Maublanc wrote:Well, what do you think about the last french movie "Chocolat"? Will you watch it in the cinema?

I watch this weekend the movie The Revenant.

I liked this movie, Leonardo Dicaprio deserves his Oscar, he plays really well. One of my favorite scenes is when he fights with a bear. This scene is very realistic and It's triggering factor of the movie. I also found that the other actors are good especially Tom Hardy that I had not recognized. The music is really related to the story. Landscape are magnificent, I recommend this movie.

I've seen the revenant too!! For me, it is undeniably the high quality of this film. The landscapes are spectacular, the photography is impeccable, and the special effects are outstanding. However, it is true that the film is longer than the average. This is why it is not appropriate for some viewers. My opinion is that it has a good plot, simple but attractive, the performances are excellent, especially the ones of Di Caprio and Tom Hardy. It's not the best movie I've seen, but it is for sure a must-see. Very Happy

CamilaCristanchoDuque

Posts : 40
Join date : 2015-09-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are the topics of conversation that make people uncomfortable? What topics do you discuss that might be difficult in other countries?

Post by CamilaCristanchoDuque on Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:09 pm

Anaël Maublanc wrote:
alexiachambinaud wrote:I watch this weekend the movie The Revenant.

I liked this movie, Leonardo Dicaprio deserves his Oscar, he plays really well. One of my favorite scenes is when he fights with a bear. This scene is very realistic and It's triggering factor of the movie. I also found that the other actors are good especially Tom Hardy that I had not recognized. The music is really related to the story. Landscape are magnificent, I recommend this movie.

Ohh I would like to see it but after see the trailer I thank it is a very violence movie, isn't it? That's why I saw Zootopie !!! It was just awesome with beautiful drawings and so cute landscapes. Moreover it put on hold ! Yes really it's possible !  Laughing  
Even if it is a movie intends for children, the story can be appreciated by adult because it links humor, action, morality, work and friendship Smile

I really love kids movies. I mean, I L O V E them I love you . The plots are always interesting, funny and with beautiful animations.

Concerning Zootopia, I've been waiting to see it but I haven’t had the occasion yet. Besides being a movie for kids, I'm interested in it because Shakira (yes, the Colombian singer) does the voice of one the characters. As far as I know, she plays the role of Gazelle and she also contributed to the original song of the film.

I will let you know once I've seen it!!!

CamilaCristanchoDuque

Posts : 40
Join date : 2015-09-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are the topics of conversation that make people uncomfortable? What topics do you discuss that might be difficult in other countries?

Post by CamilaCristanchoDuque on Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:50 pm

Once again, I would like to share with you one Colombian tradition. Before I start to explain it, I must say that I miss a lot this one .

So, as you may know, next week we will have a holiday in France due to Easter. Well, in my country this is a special period of the year. We celebrate what is called the "Holy Week", which is the week just before Easter. During Holy Week, Christians commemorate the Passion of Christ.

As I'm not practicing Catholic, I just want to stand out some facts related to this celebration. Thanks to this, in Colombia we have 2 national holidays, the "Holy Thursday" and the "Good Friday". However, if you are a student, for sure you will have a COMPLETE week's holiday. All the schools and universities give these days off regardless if you are practicing Catholic or not.

Well... This is all I wanted to share with you. In conclusion, if we were in Colombia next week would be off.

CamilaCristanchoDuque

Posts : 40
Join date : 2015-09-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are the topics of conversation that make people uncomfortable? What topics do you discuss that might be difficult in other countries?

Post by Admin on Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:57 pm

CamilaCristanchoDuque wrote:Once again, I would like to share with you one Colombian tradition. Before I start to explain it, I must say that I miss a lot this one .

So, as you may know, next week we will have a holiday in France due to Easter. Well, in my country this is a special period of the year. We celebrate what is called the "Holy Week", which is the week just before Easter. During Holy Week, Christians commemorate the Passion of Christ.

As I'm not practicing Catholic, I just want to stand out some facts related to this celebration. Thanks to this, in Colombia we have 2 national holidays, the "Holy Thursday" and the "Good Friday". However, if you are a student, for sure you will have a COMPLETE week's holiday. All the schools and universities give these days off regardless if you are practicing Catholic or not.

Well... This is all I wanted to share with you. In conclusion, if we were in Colombia next week would be off.

In England adults have good Friday, the weekend and Easter Monday as bank holidays. The children have a 2 week holiday for the end of the term. So if you were in England you'd be on holiday next week and the week after.
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 2426
Join date : 2015-01-02

View user profile http://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Re: What are the topics of conversation that make people uncomfortable? What topics do you discuss that might be difficult in other countries?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum