Education around the world-what do you think ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Education around the world-what do you think ?

Post by Habibakhairy on Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:48 pm

this topic captured my attention and i wanted to share it with all of you , what do u think of Finland's education system?
Here it is the documentary explaining how their system works Very Happy Very Happy

Habibakhairy

Posts : 123
Join date : 2016-09-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Education around the world-what do you think ?

Post by Admin on Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:24 pm

That was great.

People think I'm crazy when a class is spent talking about my dog and the thoughts in student's heads.

Where's the teaching?

In England children don't normally start school until they are 5. I was really surprised when they wanted my youngest to start at 3. He didn't, he stayed at home and played with me and my wife.

School shouldn't be about tests, I agree with the maths teacher. I want my students to be happy people.
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 2737
Join date : 2015-01-02

View user profile http://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

That's the spirit

Post by Habibakhairy on Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:57 pm

I couldn't agree more, besides happiness it's about raising creative, productive and sociable kids not robots spending much time studying without facing real life/world. our education system is based on studying pretty much all the time. unfortunately, nothing else matters if we have good grades and when we face the real world we get more confused and we end up working something we don't like. so it's a disaster !!
Admin wrote:That was great.

People think I'm crazy when a class is spent talking about my dog and the thoughts in student's heads.

Where's the teaching?

In England children don't normally start school until they are 5. I was really surprised when they wanted my youngest to start at 3. He didn't, he stayed at home and played with me and my wife.

School shouldn't be about tests, I agree with the maths teacher. I want my students to be happy people.
Very Happy Very Happy

Habibakhairy

Posts : 123
Join date : 2016-09-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Education around the world-what do you think ?

Post by Anaël Maublanc on Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:29 pm

Thanks Habiba for this video, it makes me think of the movie "Demain" which presents the different ways and solutions to preserve earth but it also talks about education system. Indeed, the north's countries develop education system which is based on activities and concrete cases !

I don't understand why the french education system doesn't imitate them... actually children learn and work alot and with the new reforms schools, they are tired. A child who is 8 years old can be attentive less than 10 minutes, how it's possible to order him to stay sat down 1 hour for example ? Moreover, every year teachers have to learn the same lessons, the same knowledges (because students forget them) but what is the most important are the skills. Obvioulsy we have to know grammar rules, multiplication tables but at the end is it more important to know how using the Thales's theorem or how writing a letter for our employer or building an Ikea shelf ? Very Happy

Anaël Maublanc

Posts : 83
Join date : 2015-09-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

you are most welcome :D

Post by Habibakhairy on Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:03 pm

I am glad that you were interested Anaël ! yea you got a point . In matter of fact , the education systems around the world always gives an importance to study lessons and they ignore the importance of learning how to face the real world out there.The world is much bigger and more complicated than a class room with a teacher.Moreover how am i supposed to work with theories and time tables ,etc.. if i do not know the first thing about dealing with others.

Anaël Maublanc wrote:Thanks Habiba for this video, it makes me think of the movie "Demain" which presents the different ways and solutions to preserve earth but it also talks about education system. Indeed, the north's countries develop education system which is based on activities and concrete cases !

I don't understand why the french education system doesn't imitate them... actually children learn and work alot and with the new reforms schools, they are tired. A child who is 8 years old can be attentive less than 10 minutes, how it's possible to order him to stay sat down 1 hour for example ? Moreover, every year teachers have to learn the same lessons, the same knowledges (because students forget them) but what is the most important are the skills. Obvioulsy we have to know grammar rules, multiplication tables but at the end is it more important to know how using the Thales's theorem or how writing a letter for our employer or building an Ikea shelf ? Very Happy

Habibakhairy

Posts : 123
Join date : 2016-09-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Education around the world-what do you think ?

Post by CamilaCristanchoDuque on Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:53 pm

I'm agree with you Anael. Don’t you think French education system is very very competitive and kind of “overwhelming”? I have the impression here in France you will never have an excellent note (18-20) event if your work deserves it. The most important thing it is to point out the negatives aspects and never to notice the positives aspects. Teacher is always right and, of course, he is more important than you. (Caution: Watch your manner when you talk to. There is a difference in status) Luckily John is different and he offers a good notes. Wink
Anaël Maublanc wrote:Thanks Habiba for this video, it makes me think of the movie "Demain" which presents the different ways and solutions to preserve earth but it also talks about education system. Indeed, the north's countries develop education system which is based on activities and concrete cases !

I don't understand why the french education system doesn't imitate them... actually children learn and work alot and with the new reforms schools, they are tired. A child who is 8 years old can be attentive less than 10 minutes, how it's possible to order him to stay sat down 1 hour for example ? Moreover, every year teachers have to learn the same lessons, the same knowledges (because students forget them) but what is the most important are the skills. Obvioulsy we have to know grammar rules, multiplication tables but at the end is it more important to know how using the Thales's theorem or how writing a letter for our employer or building an Ikea shelf ? Very Happy

CamilaCristanchoDuque

Posts : 40
Join date : 2015-09-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Education around the world-what do you think ?

Post by Admin on Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:53 am

CamilaCristanchoDuque wrote:I'm agree with you Anael. Don’t you think French education system is very very competitive and kind of “overwhelming”? I have the impression here in France you will never have an excellent note (18-20) event if your work deserves it. The most important thing it is to point out the negatives aspects and never to notice the positives aspects. Teacher is always right and, of course, he is more important than you. (Caution: Watch your manner when you talk to. There is a difference in status) Luckily John is different and he offers a good notes. Wink  
Anaël Maublanc wrote:Thanks Habiba for this video, it makes me think of the movie "Demain" which presents the different ways and solutions to preserve earth but it also talks about education system. Indeed, the north's countries develop education system which is based on activities and concrete cases !

I don't understand why the french education system doesn't imitate them... actually children learn and work alot and with the new reforms schools, they are tired. A child who is 8 years old can be attentive less than 10 minutes, how it's possible to order him to stay sat down 1 hour for example ? Moreover, every year teachers have to learn the same lessons, the same knowledges (because students forget them) but what is the most important are the skills. Obvioulsy we have to know grammar rules, multiplication tables but at the end is it more important to know how using the Thales's theorem or how writing a letter for our employer or building an Ikea shelf ? Very Happy

That's a 20 for you Camilla. Wink
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 2737
Join date : 2015-01-02

View user profile http://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Education around the world-what do you think ?

Post by Eloïse B on Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:34 am

Admin wrote:That was great.

People think I'm crazy when a class is spent talking about my dog and the thoughts in student's heads.

Where's the teaching?

In England children don't normally start school until they are 5. I was really surprised when they wanted my youngest to start at 3. He didn't, he stayed at home and played with me and my wife.

School shouldn't be about tests, I agree with the maths teacher. I want my students to be happy people.

Great topic Habiba thanks!

All the students love the way you teach us John, because you do it differently. We are used to having long harsh lessons, but yours feel like conversations, which is awesome to learn a foreign language.

When I was at university, we were only 12 students in Philosophy but I didn't know most of them because we didn't talk. Contrary to the CEPE, we never had group projects or this kind of stuff that make people meet and talk. We went to class, listened to our teachers for 3-4 hours straight, took pages of notes and went back home or to the library to work. There was no interaction, it felt like a 3-year conference.

It feels like the Finnish education system is way more adapted to children than ours. There are lots of clever kids here who fail at school because our education system is only adapted to a certain type of kids, whereas in Finland I think most children can find their place and succeed, because it is more varied and free.

Eloïse B

Posts : 60
Join date : 2015-09-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Education around the world-what do you think ?

Post by Admin on Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:04 pm

I think it's also about defining "Success". Should we be aiming at rounded individuals who can leave together and help each other or should we be aiming for the best specialists in the world to drive our economy and society on.

Maybe in the Western system we have gone too far along the best is best path it may also explain our "cheat" culture a little.
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 2737
Join date : 2015-01-02

View user profile http://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Education around the world-what do you think ?

Post by Madagascan Lorriane on Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:00 am

Habibakhairy wrote:this topic captured my attention and i wanted to share it with all of you , what do u think of Finland's education system?
Here it is the documentary explaining how their system works  Very Happy  Very Happy

I watched a movie that talked a lot about Finland's education system, and I really think it is a good way to educate kids. The fact that there are a lot of strangers helps suppressing racial discrimination. Also kids are motivated to go to school thanks to the way teacher interact with them. It is not a pupils and teachers relationship but more like equal people relation I guess.

But still, I disagree with the fact that they do not have homework. Homework is important, so that the kid can memorize and assimilate what they learned/played or worked on during the day. And it is also a special time they share with their parents at home, and where they create precious memories together.

Madagascan Lorriane

Posts : 78
Join date : 2015-09-30
Age : 25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Education around the world-what do you think ?

Post by Madagascan Lorriane on Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:03 am

Admin wrote:That was great.

People think I'm crazy when a class is spent talking about my dog and the thoughts in student's heads.

Where's the teaching?

In England children don't normally start school until they are 5. I was really surprised when they wanted my youngest to start at 3. He didn't, he stayed at home and played with me and my wife.

School shouldn't be about tests, I agree with the maths teacher. I want my students to be happy people.

But John to be honest your way of teaching has nothing to do with Finland's way of teaching lol. I won't explain but I'm sure you understand Very Happy

Madagascan Lorriane

Posts : 78
Join date : 2015-09-30
Age : 25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Education around the world-what do you think ?

Post by Mathilde L on Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:59 am

I agree with you girls. French as many other education systems are not efficient , we ignore the main aspects of education .The parents have to do somethings from their side too in order to help not only improving the actuall education but to be more engaged to provide a better one in the future. I think it will be very hard and long too change the Whole system but we have to start acting-out to change. We should be more focused on other things than on the diploma or more precisly the grades. Then, we have to speak to children as real adults and not babies to open their mind to the real world because they're very clever/creative and able to do big things !

Mathilde L

Posts : 40
Join date : 2016-09-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Education around the world-what do you think ?

Post by MisterSTAPS on Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:46 am

The education system in France is pretty bad, just watch the STAPS students Mad Razz

Honnestly, in France, children spend to much time at school and have a lot of homeworks to do. The government doesn't want to change his mind and stays focus on his way. It can follow the Finland's educational system but it's a so long process. Moreover, the teachers "classify" students. If you have a bad marks, obviously you are a "manuel" student and you have to be electician or plumber... That's a shame. I really hope that the government will open his mind and change the way to do, to resolve this trouble.

MisterSTAPS

Posts : 58
Join date : 2016-10-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Education around the world-what do you think ?

Post by Admin on Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:32 pm

MisterSTAPS wrote:The education system in France is pretty bad, just watch the STAPS students Mad Razz

Honnestly, in France, children spend to much time at school and have a lot of homeworks to do. The government doesn't want to change his mind and stays focus on his way. It can follow the Finland's educational system but it's a so long process. Moreover, the teachers "classify" students. If you have a bad marks, obviously you are a "manuel" student and you have to be electician or plumber... That's a shame. I really hope that the government will open his mind and change the way to do, to resolve this trouble.

I think we need to change the perception of "a plumber" or an "Electrician".

Both my plumber and my electrician earn a lot more money than I do and they charge more for an hours work. We need more plumbers etc... being practical is not inferior to being theoretical.
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 2737
Join date : 2015-01-02

View user profile http://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

you are welcome eloise

Post by Habibakhairy on Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:07 pm

YES, i agree!!certainly there are lot of capable students out there but unfortunately the system always fail to teach them or more precisely to encourage them about going after their dreams, do not lose sight of them , fight for them, make them materialize,make them reality.
if they are doing that and giving them love and strength and help them to interact with each other outside the class room. I can assure you that they will go out there and the will do what ever it takes to be the best they could be in their life. Moreover, they will keep fighting and will never lose hope. So,stop discourage the kids by and telling them that if they didn't pass the exam they will never get the chance to be something in their life. Do not take the light of a bright future. i just hope that it gets better all over the world because education system is the mirror of a country future.
Eloïse B wrote:
Admin wrote:That was great.

People think I'm crazy when a class is spent talking about my dog and the thoughts in student's heads.

Where's the teaching?

In England children don't normally start school until they are 5. I was really surprised when they wanted my youngest to start at 3. He didn't, he stayed at home and played with me and my wife.

School shouldn't be about tests, I agree with the maths teacher. I want my students to be happy people.

Great topic Habiba thanks!

All the students love the way you teach us John, because you do it differently. We are used to having long harsh lessons, but yours feel like conversations, which is awesome to learn a foreign language.

When I was at university, we were only 12 students in Philosophy but I didn't know most of them because we didn't talk. Contrary to the CEPE, we never had group projects or this kind of stuff that make people meet and talk. We went to class, listened to our teachers for 3-4 hours straight, took pages of notes and went back home or to the library to work. There was no interaction, it felt like a 3-year conference.

It feels like the Finnish education system is way more adapted to children than ours. There are lots of clever kids here who fail at school because our education system is only adapted to a certain type of kids, whereas in Finland I think most children can find their place and succeed, because it is more varied and free.

Habibakhairy

Posts : 123
Join date : 2016-09-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Education around the world-what do you think ?

Post by Mathilde L on Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:52 am

To build up this idea of new school and way to consider children a man had an incredible dream !
The Green School (Bali) : https://www.ted.com/talks/john_hardy_my_green_school_dream?language=uk
We need the same bounce

Mathilde L

Posts : 40
Join date : 2016-09-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Education around the world-what do you think ?

Post by Habibakhairy on Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:11 am

Admin wrote:
MisterSTAPS wrote:The education system in France is pretty bad, just watch the STAPS students Mad Razz

Honnestly, in France, children spend to much time at school and have a lot of homeworks to do. The government doesn't want to change his mind and stays focus on his way. It can follow the Finland's educational system but it's a so long process. Moreover, the teachers "classify" students. If you have a bad marks, obviously you are a "manuel" student and you have to be electician or plumber... That's a shame. I really hope that the government will open his mind and change the way to do, to resolve this trouble.

I think we need to change the perception of "a plumber" or an "Electrician".

Both my plumber and my electrician earn a lot more money than I do and they charge more for an hours work. We need more plumbers etc... being practical is not inferior to being theoretical.

i agree john , i do not have any idea why people got that perception of the plumber and electrician .. the parents should stop pushing their childrens to become doctors and ingeniers and to start pushing them to do what they really want . But i alsoagree that teachers should not classify students and descourage them. they can recongnize the students who do efforts and always encourage who do not.

Habibakhairy

Posts : 123
Join date : 2016-09-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Education around the world-what do you think ?

Post by MisterSTAPS on Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:27 am

Habibakhairy wrote:
Admin wrote:
MisterSTAPS wrote:The education system in France is pretty bad, just watch the STAPS students Mad Razz

Honnestly, in France, children spend to much time at school and have a lot of homeworks to do. The government doesn't want to change his mind and stays focus on his way. It can follow the Finland's educational system but it's a so long process. Moreover, the teachers "classify" students. If you have a bad marks, obviously you are a "manuel" student and you have to be electician or plumber... That's a shame. I really hope that the government will open his mind and change the way to do, to resolve this trouble.

I think we need to change the perception of "a plumber" or an "Electrician".

Both my plumber and my electrician earn a lot more money than I do and they charge more for an hours work. We need more plumbers etc... being practical is not inferior to being theoretical.

i agree john , i do not have any idea why people got that perception of  the plumber and electrician .. the parents should stop pushing their childrens to become doctors and ingeniers and to start pushing them to do what they really want . But i alsoagree that teachers should not classify students and descourage them. they can recongnize the students who do efforts and always encourage who do not.

My sentences are not clear, I think.

I know friends who became plumbers and electricians. They love their jobs (and we need them) and earn a good money.

I meant, for teachers, in France, children with bad marks are not “intellectual”… It’s a fact. Their educational program is boring, not really interesting. The used methods are too old. For them, all these troubles are the students' fault.

I say that because I've lived that. All my "student’s life", my average mark was 9-10/20. All the teachers pushed me down and wanted me to change my “student way” (intellectual way to manual way). I’ve never gave up and I’m here today, close to you John cheers

MisterSTAPS

Posts : 58
Join date : 2016-10-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Education around the world-what do you think ?

Post by Admin on Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:36 pm

And you're gonna get higher than 9-10. Wink
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 2737
Join date : 2015-01-02

View user profile http://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Education around the world-what do you think ?

Post by Admin on Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:28 pm

avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 2737
Join date : 2015-01-02

View user profile http://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Education around the world-what do you think ?

Post by Habibakhairy on Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:31 am

it is a revolutionnary song and a documentary at the same time. i totally agree with the lyrics and the sad part is that there is still that kind of education nowadays regarding the sleek technologies and the different life styles.

Habibakhairy

Posts : 123
Join date : 2016-09-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Education around the world-what do you think ?

Post by Habibakhairy on Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:49 pm

He said it all .. to the point !! what do you think guys

Habibakhairy

Posts : 123
Join date : 2016-09-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The absolute weight of a glass of water ?

Post by Habibakhairy on Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:25 pm

It is about a teacher that talks with his students about how they can manage their stress and to face obstacles in their life. By giving them another perspective, even tho we always say " IT IS NOT THAT EASY" and i agree , sometimes we can not manage it well because it is hard, it hurts and it's complicated but i guess there is always a way to make it less painful. No matter how hard it is, learning how to face these obstacles in life & stress, will help us to become stronger and to succeed. Anyways ,what i liked is his way of explaining it.Here you go

Habibakhairy

Posts : 123
Join date : 2016-09-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Education around the world-what do you think ?

Post by Admin on Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:47 pm

I heard a quote for the first time last week that is from a guy called Gil Scott Heron, a jazz poet who died from HIV complications (I think), and your thread seems a good place for it, Habiba.

Gilbert Scott Heron wrote:The first revolution is when you change your mind about how you look at things, and see there might be another way to look at it that you have not been shown.
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 2737
Join date : 2015-01-02

View user profile http://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Education around the world-what do you think ?

Post by Habibakhairy on Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:20 pm

Admin wrote:I heard a quote for the first time last week that is from a guy called Gil Scott Heron, a jazz poet who died from HIV complications (I think), and your thread seems a good place for it, Habiba.

Gilbert Scott Heron wrote:The first revolution is when you change your mind about how you look at things, and see there might be another way to look at it that you have not been shown.

EXACTLY, right to the point John.In fact, it is a state of mind, once you decide to see it in a different way no matter how ugly and hard it is, the more you see and that's when you can make THE change.I like the quote very much.

Habibakhairy

Posts : 123
Join date : 2016-09-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Education around the world-what do you think ?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum