UP English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Obama should pardon Edward Snowden?

3 posters

Go down

Obama should pardon Edward Snowden?  Empty Obama should pardon Edward Snowden?

Post by Jamel O Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:43 am

The new Oliver Stone movie called "Snowden" ask the next debate : Obama should pardon Edward Snowden ?

Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch and the ACLU, powerful American liberties association, launched Wednesday, September 14, a massive campaign to push president Barack Obama to grant its pardon to the whistleblower Edward Snowden, a refugee in Russia.

Main element of this campaign launched in the final months of the Obama administration: a petition online on pardonsnowden.org, already initialed by great lawyers and personalities American as the writer Joyce Carol Oates, the actor Martin Sheen, actress Susan Sarandon or even the singer Peter Gabriel.

The former candidate for the Democratic nomination for the White House :  Bernie Sanders, claimed in a tweet :  “form of clemency" for Snowden.
Organizers are counting on the fact that "the president is considering his mark in history" and may "difficult decisions". The chances of a pardon seem nevertheless fairly low for Snowden, former consultant of the very secret agency information NSA, who revealed to reporters in 2013 the magnitude of the American electronic surveillance network set up after the attacks of the 11 - September 2001 and which may now thirty years in prison for espionage.

But the White House does not seem ready to change its position. "His attitude has put American lives in danger. It should return to the United States to answer very serious prosecution which he investigated,"said Josh Earnest, spokesman for the American Executive.

"Mr Snowden is not a whistleblower," he nevertheless insisted the spokesman for the White House, ensuring that there is a specific process that allows whistleblowers "to express their concerns" all protecting "national security secrets of the United States."

This attempt to petition is not new. In July already, the White House had opposed a plea to a first petition gathering more than 160,000 signatures.

Snowden "should return to the United States to be tried by his peers and not hide behind an authoritarian regime. For now, he flees the consequences of his actions," had said Lisa Monaco, an Obama adviser .

The Executive Director of the ACLU, Anthony Romero, has, however, said on Wednesday that such action "may change the public reaction" and a massive signing the petition.

The ACLU has also offered a full-page ad in the Washington Post on Wednesday to call for forgiveness of Edward Snowden, including a large portrait of young man holding his face against what appears to be an American flag. "Edward Snowden fought for our freedom. It is time that he can benefit from his own," says the slogan of the ACLU.

So for you, Obama should pardon Edward Snowden ?

Debates opening !  cheers  cheers

Link:
1) https://www.rt.com/usa/359482-house-pleas-no-pardon-snowden/
2) https://www.pardonsnowden.org/
Jamel O
Jamel O

Back to top Go down

Obama should pardon Edward Snowden?  Empty Re: Obama should pardon Edward Snowden?

Post by Laure Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:04 am

Hi Jamel, great suject and short video thanks!

I liked watching Edward saying that he loves his country and his family blablah almost crying... This shows that he is a real American!

Should Obama pardon Edward Snowden? I think it's too complicated. This is election time in US so I'm afraid that if Obama pardons, Trump will use it for his campaign and it's not good either for human rights.
I agree that if Obama doesn't do it, the next president won't too, I don't believe Hilary is that attached to human rights. But this situation is complicated because Edward Snowden was a traitor for USA and now he is hiding in Russia (cold war is not that far away).

So yes Edward Snowden is a good guy and he did the right thing, but I don't think Obama will or should forgive him, it's too early. I hope he likes winter in Russia!

Laure

Back to top Go down

Obama should pardon Edward Snowden?  Empty Re: Obama should pardon Edward Snowden?

Post by Admin Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:32 pm

I'd pardon him - but then I'm not American. I'd hang Diego Maradona.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down