How architecture can help kid to grow

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How architecture can help kid to grow

Post by Aurélie Leclerc on Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:39 am

Ok ok this seams quite strange as a title... Here the video I watched : https://www.ted.com/talks/takaharu_tezuka_the_best_kindergarten_you_ve_ever_seen
Takaharu Tezuya is a japanese architect who is talking about a kindergarden he created in Japan. A kindergarden is a kind of school for preschool kids (somehow like maternelle in France). The kindergarden he created is designed in circle and a big part of the playground is the roof. Kids can run, climb trees, splash water on each others, go outside the class whenever they want to, they can do all the noise they want to and they can create their own games.
They are encouraged to try new things : so of course they will fall, they will hurt themself but they will learn.
At the begining, I just wanted to watch it for fun and I actually planned another video more "theorical" about playing but I really love what he said about this kindergarden and most importantly about how the kids develop themself on this environment.

So of course there are a lot of bad things we could say about this school : they could be cold on winter, they don't learn to listen to the teacher.... but hey ! we are on a society where kids are overprotected ! I love the fact that they can hurt themself : a little booboo is necessary to grow and I loved to see them create ways to help each others and to learn from each others !

So it's a pretty great kindergarden, you should watch the video it's short (come on 10min !). So of course this is possible cause it's in Japan... In Japan, kids are quite free and they have a lot of time to play during their early age cause, then, they well receive more pressure than you will ever experiment. In France, from maternelle, we somehow "study"; they start later. Perhaps we should imagine to transpose this vision of "free" kid in France, why not by watching what our nordic neighbours do. If you know places in France where it already exists, please tell me :-)

Sorry, it was a bit long and I choose a TED video again... Those are great !

Aurélie Leclerc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How architecture can help kid to grow

Post by Mathilde V. on Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:13 am

Don't control them, don't protect them too much... I love what he says but it would definitely not work in France! ahah
I like the concept, it's good that they learn by themselves probably more than we did in class when we were kids and bored in 10 minutes. One thing I disagree is that he says that architecture can changes their education, I agree for that but it’s not enough. You also need the way of thinking that they have to let children do what they want. In France, as you said Aurélie, they try to teach us from really young so I think that even with a building like that, which would be awesome for break times, we would not use it the same way as them, and still do classes with courses and grades.
I don't know such classes in France either but I'm really curious too Wink

Mathilde V.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Salomé P. on Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:16 am

Ok so the all comment i've just write is just gone... nice. Thanks up forum Sad

Salomé P.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Salomé P. on Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:17 am

I was just saying that i totally agree with this way of thinking and apprehend education. Let's do this in France, let's changing the way of thinking here, which isn't clearly the good one.

Salomé P.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aurélie Leclerc on Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:24 am

I love the fact that first you create an open mind : in kindergarden, and then, later, you teach kids stuffs like math, reading, writing....
Perhaps it would be more interesting !
Do kindergarden kids really need to learn things they will re-learn later in primary school ? I don't think so

Aurélie Leclerc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Manon Px on Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:04 am

Thank you for make us discover that ! I am so happy to see that some people are trying to improve the education old system !! Let's have it in France ! Now kids are less and less able to do something by themself, they are afraid of doing things (because of the thing, or because of the parents and teachers who will stop them and correct them !). We are killing the imagination of people from their earliest age ! Let's change that by letting the nature act ! albino  flower

Manon Px

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Madagascan Lorriane on Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:22 am

Salomé P. wrote:Ok so the all comment i've just write is just gone... nice. Thanks up forum Sad

Wow I understand your struggle Buddy... This happened to me too earlier.

Concerning the topic, this architecture's purpose is only for play. Guess I would say it is quite adequate to the kindergarden phase since in that age kids develop their experiences and they tends to be more curious. It allows kids to develop their creativity, their universe and also it puts them in a complete "I am free state" right ?
Not being limited in confined place is associated to freedom. I agry it is important in that age. However, only in that age.

Once thay get bigger, Finland ways of teaching would be better. I do not know if this makes any sense but, I think they need to feel that they are protected, not too controlled but they also need to understand what is shool life's purpose.

Madagascan Lorriane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mathilde L on Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:38 am

That's a great idea and a school push more, children were the architects of their playground ! What a dream ! Imagine, as a child you can give you opinion and discuss it with your classmates. Then when the project was physically realised a professional managed the final aspects to make it possible. Today everybody has what they want a cool and nice place to play with friends, a safe and clear place for teachers to be able to see children, an original and unique place to live extraordinary moments Idea

Mathilde L

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top