India's eternal inequality

View previous topic View next topic Go down

India's eternal inequality

Post by Anaël Maublanc on Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:03 am

I've read a news on the New York time about caste in India and what are the results nowadays.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/13/opinion/indias-eternal-inequality.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=opinion-c-col-right-region&region=opinion-c-col-right-region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-right-region&_r=0

Ancient Indian society was divided into four varnas, or categories: Brahmins (priests), Kshatriyas (warriors), Vaishyas (merchants or traders) and Shudras (laborers). An unofficial fifth varna were the Dalits, or untouchables, a group so low that its members are assigned jobs like cleaning latrines, sweeping the streets, tanning hides and handling the remains of the dead. Because of these different categories, some people have to respect their functions on their own categories. For example a Shudras has to evacuate died animals and it is judged as impure, members of "untouchables" never do it.

A philosopher and a teacher of ancient logic, a man conversant with both Eastern and Western intellectual traditions says : “You have to understand that modern European culture is based on the idea that all men are born equal, and later become differentiated. The Indian idea is different. We believe that men are born unequal, but we are all — Brahmin, sage, cobbler, outcaste — heading toward the same destiny.”

Actually system tries to change these disparities. Have you heard something about caste before and what you think about it ?

Anaël Maublanc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: India's eternal inequality

Post by Admin on Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:30 pm

I love India but I've always known about this caste system and it is a shame on the country and people as is the sexism that exists there and the forced marriages.

On the other hand I've just eaten a lovely spicy curry.
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Anaël Maublanc on Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:30 pm

yes unfortunately this country isn't safe when you are a woman, I don't know if nowadays it's always a drag to have a girl and not a boy because I've heard alot of mothers leave their child if it's a girl Sad Why does not government realize sexism, sexual attacks and forced marriages are due to this problem of dowry and so one... it's a vicious cercle because women miss alot now !

Ohhh great I've tried once of my life to eat Indian's food but my tongue remembers it again ^^'

Anaël Maublanc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Laure on Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:33 am

I worked with India team this summer and sometimes with my dear coworker Mahesh, we felt the cultural differences eventhough we were both huge fans of Game of Thrones. I used to talk to him on Skype at least 5 times a day so I have some examples. I saw one day a guy distributing water behind Mahesh and at this time I wasn't really aware of caste at this moment. When I asked about it he was really vague. It's after talking with my manager who spend some times in Indian office, that I understood that this water guy was in fact an untouchable.
Another day, Mahesh saw behind me two men from my openspace kissing to say hello to each other. Mahesh was absolutely shocked and he asked me about this situation for at least ten minutes. It's true that Indian people don't touch each other very often but for me it was disproportionate.

My tongue doesn't like spices either Smile

Laure

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anaël Maublanc on Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:55 am

Laure wrote:I worked with India team this summer and sometimes with my dear coworker Mahesh, we felt the cultural differences eventhough we were both huge fans of Game of Thrones. I used to talk to him on Skype at least 5 times a day so I have some examples. I saw one day a guy distributing water behind Mahesh and at this time I wasn't really aware of caste at this moment. When I asked about it he was really vague. It's after talking with my manager who spend some times in Indian office, that I understood that this water guy was in fact an untouchable.
Another day, Mahesh saw behind me two men from my openspace kissing to say hello to each other. Mahesh was absolutely shocked and he asked me about this situation for at least ten minutes. It's true that Indian people don't touch each other very often but for me it was disproportionate.

Oh really ?! I know in some cultures, it isn't common to touch each other because of religion but I didn't know it exists also in India. Do you think it's due to the caste ? I mean untouchable people can touching another member of their caste ? Or is it the same thing for everyone ?

Anaël Maublanc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CamilaCristanchoDuque on Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:41 am

Anaël Maublanc wrote:
Laure wrote:I worked with India team this summer and sometimes with my dear coworker Mahesh, we felt the cultural differences eventhough we were both huge fans of Game of Thrones. I used to talk to him on Skype at least 5 times a day so I have some examples. I saw one day a guy distributing water behind Mahesh and at this time I wasn't really aware of caste at this moment. When I asked about it he was really vague. It's after talking with my manager who spend some times in Indian office, that I understood that this water guy was in fact an untouchable.

Oh really ?! I know in some cultures, it isn't common to touch each other because of religion but I didn't know it exists also in India. Do you think it's due to the caste ? I mean untouchable people can touching another member of their caste ? Or is it the same thing for everyone ?

I have a girlfriend did a Master in a male universe (computer programming or something like that) in India. She is blonde and she has green eyes. The firs weir thing she lived: The boys stopped her in the street to taking her in photos!! Then, they asked her friend (boy) to getting married…
The second thing: In the classes one boy was in love and the second day of classes he proposed her marriage… She said no, but he insisted and he said that he would haunt her in Colombia for meet her family…

CamilaCristanchoDuque

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:36 am

My tongue doesn't like spices either Smile

I actually spoke about this subject - french men kissing - in a Sci-eco class this week.

A few of the guys kissed "hello" when they came into the class. I've lived in France for over 20 years and England is only a few kms from France but even know the cultural shock still hits me. In England men don't kiss, even father and son when the son is older very rarely kiss. I love the fact that boys can do this in France but when one of my son's friends gives me a kiss I know that I still go a little red - like Amandine Embarassed - I kiss my kids even though they are grown up but it's important to be aware of cultural surprises.

p.s. Some of my ex STAPS students have taken to giving me a kiss when they see me in Poitiers - I find it quite amusing.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:42 am

CamilaCristanchoDuque wrote:
Anaël Maublanc wrote:

I have a girlfriend did a Master in a male universe (computer programming or something like that) in India. She is blonde and she has green eyes. The firs weir thing she lived: The boys stopped her in the street to taking her in photos!! Then, they asked her friend (boy) to getting married…
The second thing: In the classes one boy was in love and the second day of classes he proposed her marriage… She said no, but he insisted and he said that he would haunt her in Colombia for meet her family…

need a google camila translator lol!
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top