UP English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TED TALKS: Inside the mind of a master procrastinator

2 posters

Go down

TED TALKS: Inside the mind of a master procrastinator Empty TED TALKS: Inside the mind of a master procrastinator

Post by Valentin Rigoux Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:47 am

I've seen this one a few months ago and I really liked it, it speaks to me cause I'm one of the laziest procrastinator there is. For exemple, I'm posting this the day of the deadline.

In this video Tim Urban explains what it's like to be a procrastinator and what's the difference with "normal" people capable of working and doing not so pleasant things. He represents the mind of a normal person as being driven by a rational decision maker, who's able to turn off having fun, going out, sleeping late and all that stuff to be productive instead. In the mind of a procrastinator there is a little twist: a instant gratification monkey and this little guy often takes the control, prefering doing easy and fun stuff, mine makes me play video game and watch a lot of youtube videos when I could work and get stuff done.
He continues saying the monkey's afraid of only one thing: the panic monster, who's asleep most of the time but when deadlines finally come he woke up and then the monkey runs from the driver sit and at last the procrastinator will do something useful, or important. For example, we have a paper due to friday and I expect my panic monster to wake up tomorrow cause I've not done much for now..
He finishes explaining everyone is a procrastinator to some degree and the problem is when there's no deadline, some people end up being spectator of their own life cause they've never done what they wanted to do cause it's outside of the "easy and fun" zone, and once again, I can relate to that.

Valentin Rigoux

Back to top Go down

TED TALKS: Inside the mind of a master procrastinator Empty Re: TED TALKS: Inside the mind of a master procrastinator

Post by Admin Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:37 pm

That will not help you if you are ill or need something just before an important deadline but your procrastination causes you to be unprepared. Very Happy
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down