UP English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Week 7 - How can we make our University better?

+19
Lauriane BELLOY
Camille Ayrault
Léa
Margot Baudoin
Mathilde David
Aleksandra Blaszczak
DELAITE Carine
Pauline Avril
Fanny CLAVAUD
Maxime Calogine
Laura Croegaert
Barbier Victor
LAURINE BRUN
ANIL Yeliz
Lucas De Conti
boyadzhieva.yoana
Viktor Beekman
Celia Butel
Admin
23 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Week 7 - How can we make our University better? Empty Week 7 - How can we make our University better?

Post by Admin Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:42 pm

I like this topic. Off you go...
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Week 7 - How can we make our University better? Empty Re: Week 7 - How can we make our University better?

Post by Celia Butel Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:40 pm

Hi all!

First of all I think that we all agree that it’s too cold in the Amphitheater at the moment, but I saw that the administration of our faculty is trying to solve this problem. We were really freezing during our last exam there!

Second I believe that our University can use some newer computers at our campus. When we have to work in the computer classroom we sometimes have to wait 10 minutes before the computer has started, that’s very frustrating sometimes.

Finally I think that some help for the students that don’t have enough money to buy equipment for themselves might be a good option as well. For example buying laptops in big amounts to get them cheaper, so that students can use cheap and simple laptops for working during their study.

Hugs and Kisses,

Celia BUTEL
Celia Butel
Celia Butel

Back to top Go down

Week 7 - How can we make our University better? Empty Re: Week 7 - How can we make our University better?

Post by Viktor Beekman Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:50 pm

Hello!

In my opinion we should raise the salary of our English teachers, they’re amazing and should be rewarded for that! Just kidding

I think that since the amount of students at our campus has increased a lot the last years, our restaurants should be adapted to this amount of people. The line for the restaurants take too much time sometimes in my opinion, maybe the University could open another restaurant to adapt to the increased demand!

Other than that I think that our University is pretty great, they tend to maintain the buildings well and they renovate a lot too. I’m pretty happy the way things are at our faculty!

Over and out,

Viktor BEEKMAN
Viktor Beekman
Viktor Beekman

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:55 pm

Viktor Beekman wrote:
Hello!

In my opinion we should raise the salary of our English teachers, they’re amazing and should be rewarded for that! Just kidding

I think that since the amount of students at our campus has increased a lot the last years, our restaurants should be adapted to this amount of people. The line for the restaurants take too much time sometimes in my opinion, maybe the University could open another restaurant to adapt to the increased demand!

Other than that I think that our University is pretty great, they tend to maintain the buildings well and they renovate a lot too. I’m pretty happy the way things are at our faculty!

Over and out,

Viktor BEEKMAN

That was great until the "just kidding" comment. Evil or Very Mad
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by boyadzhieva.yoana Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:55 pm

Hi everyone,

In my opinion the buildings need some decoration. Possibly a good idea would be to put some pictures of Smith, Keynes, Ricardo and Marx on the walls in the corridors  Very Happy

A couple of plants in pots would create a nicer atmosphere. If the university has the possibility to take care of the plants, students can bring some, thus decreasing the huge number of plants their mothers have at home. Plants transform carbon dioxide into oxygen, so we will breathe more oxygen, our brains will be performing better and we will stay focused for a longer time during lessons!

The only problem is that more oxygen means that we will get hungry more often and the queues in the canteen will be even longer. So if we bring plants, there would definitely be a need of a new canteen in building A2.

boyadzhieva.yoana

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucas De Conti Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:50 pm

Hello !

In my opinion, the number of library is too little. When you want work after the classes, the library is occupied by the others students who are not of our faculty. The faculty must build other library on campus.

Second, the restaurant should remain open later to allow students to eat there in the evening.

Finally, I want speak about automatic distributor to have money. It’s a shame of us forced to pay by this student card. There is no distributor on all the campus and I think it's a serious mistake. Before there was one, but they removed it.
Put us distributors, bars, and snacks inside the campus! We are not 80 years old !

Lucas De Conti
Lucas De Conti
Lucas De Conti

Birthday : 1996-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by ANIL Yeliz Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:34 am

Hello everybody !!!

To begin, I think that the decoration must to change because it's so monotone. As Yoana said, we can put pictures of famous economics figures or quotes of economics authors. Otherwise, the renovations made are cool !!!! It's more modern than before.

The cafeteria have to extend because midday there aren't places for everyone and the queue to eat is really longer ! They can build a second floor for example or build another building.

Moreover, students must have the right to grade professors to improve their educational mode. Some professors need that !!!

ANIL Yeliz
ANIL Yeliz
ANIL Yeliz

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:40 am

ANIL Yeliz wrote:Hello everybody !!!

To begin, I think that the decoration must to change because it's so monotone. As Yoana said, we can put pictures of famous economics figures or quotes of economics authors. Otherwise, the renovations made are cool !!!! It's more modern than before.

The cafeteria have to extend because midday there aren't places for everyone and the queue to eat is really longer ! They can build a second floor for example or build another building.

Moreover, students must have the right to grade professors to improve their educational mode. Some professors need that !!!

ANIL Yeliz

To some extent you do. At the end of each semester you fill out a form with comments about different criterion of the course without exactly saying "teacher".

In theory it's a good idea, in practice it has its weaknesses - are students really competent to judge teacher competence? Does it become a personality/ revenge exercise? Does the university actually have any power to do anything about poor teachers (I don't think so!)? Etc...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LAURINE BRUN Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:35 pm

Hi everybody !

- I totally agree with the idea of putting some pictures of economists ! We could also add very briefly the theories for which they are known, explaining it very simply in order to make it accessible for everybody. Thus, it would be more easy to remember it for a long time and not just learn it before an exam to forget it just after.

- The idea of being able to pay with the credit card at the cafeteria is essential, as the idea of having distributors in our buildings !

- Maybe before hosting inter-age faculty and psychology faculty in our amphitheatres, we should make sure that there will be enough space on  car parks for everyone...

- I don't know if faculty teachers are evaluated by Academic inspectors on their competences to teach a course as is the case for college and high school professors, but if it's not the case, it would be a good idea. Indeed, being a good researcher is not a synonyme of being a good teacher ! Some teachers don't adapt their teaching methods to the students in front of them, during the lectures. I am thinking in particular of econometrics lectures where I feel that everyone is lost, and where if you make a mistake or you can't answer to a question from the teacher, she gets angry and leaves the lecture instead of trying to understand why we don't succeed by putting herself in question.

- I don't know why we didn't change of amphitheater temporarily until the heating problems were resolved. It seems that it doesn't worry the faculty that the students get sick for coming at the lectures...

- I hoped during my first two years of license that we were going to study more economic news or at least putting in perspective the courses with the economic news, talk about the stock prices etc, but finally we stay cut off from the reality by learning mathematical models that systematically rely on hypotheses.

- Good point this year, the English courses ! First time of all my schooling that they are taught in a more interactive way, which permits to be more in real condition ! Wink

I know, I'm very grumpy.. ^^
LAURINE BRUN
LAURINE BRUN

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:42 pm

How can anyone with a cat in their pucture be grumpy?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbier Victor Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:00 pm

Hello everyone,

I find the university rather well organized to allow us to work but there are still things to improve. I think the main problem at the moment is the number of students who have greatly increased. This increase creates dysfunctions. There is not enough space on the car parks. We are sometimes obliged to park quite far.

As you said, the cafeteria doesn't have the capacity to welcome all students who want to eat lunch. It's quite annoying because we sometimes have only one hour to eat lunch. The computers rooms are more and more often full, it's tehrefore more difficult to be able to work there. I also think that this situation must be complicated for teachers. All this to say that for me, the University is not yet ready to welcome as many students. There are two solutions that could improve this situation : we must accept fewer students or improve the structures so that the University can welcome everyone in good conditions.

After I don't have much to say about the teachers because it's up to us to adapt to their work. However, I think some should ask questions about their way of teaching when they have an amphitheater almost empty in front of them.

Barbier Victor

Back to top Go down

Post by Laura Croegaert Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:59 pm

Hi !

First of all, to answer to Celia, I believe that a loan system has been already organized in our university to use a laptop. A student can borrow a laptop for 1 or several months. So, if you don’t have enough money to buy one or if your laptop breaks down, you always will have this fallback solution.

I agree with Viktor, when you don’t have a lot of time to eat, it’s very annoying to have to hurry because they were too much people waiting in line. So, they have to adapt the restaurant depending on the demand. For example, they could build a new restaurant, or extend the restaurant and employ more people.

In faculty of economics / law, we are lucky to be in recent building.

Laura Croegaert

Back to top Go down

Post by Maxime Calogine Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:10 am

Hello economists,

First of all, the communication of health insurance should be improved like LMDE. Indeed, It’s very difficult for an ordinary student to contact them and to obtain quickly supporting documents.

Then, you can create an english course in amphitheater, as if you were a student from the ERASMUS program. In general, numerous newspapers criticize the english level of the french pupils. France is often the "bad pupil", etc. This, would be a good opportunity to raise the learning process.

Finally, I think that it’s necessary to give an name to our university. For example, « Albert Camus’s University » instead of «  Poitiers’s University ». It would show all around the world, the excellence of the French thought.
Maxime Calogine
Maxime Calogine

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanny CLAVAUD Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:03 pm

boyadzhieva.yoana wrote:
In my opinion the buildings need some decoration. Possibly a good idea would be to put some pictures of Smith, Keynes, Ricardo and Marx on the walls in the corridors  Very Happy

A couple of plants in pots would create a nicer atmosphere. If the university has the possibility to take care of the plants, students can bring some, thus decreasing the huge number of plants their mothers have at home. Plants transform carbon dioxide into oxygen, so we will breathe more oxygen, our brains will be performing better and we will stay focused for a longer time during lessons!

The only problem is that more oxygen means that we will get hungry more often and the queues in the canteen will be even longer. So if we bring plants, there would definitely be a need of a new canteen in building A2.

You should see the faculty of Letters and languages, it looks a bit like an hospital in my opinion

Fanny CLAVAUD

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanny CLAVAUD Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:58 pm

Hi everyone!

In my point of view, I think the homework we do every week on this forum is a very good idea. Maybe, in some other courses we could work like this.
I think for some theoretic courses like marketing, history, strategy... They could teach us in English. Also, we could continue to learn Spanish, German, Italian as an option. It's useful.
I will repeat what some of you already talked about.

Indeed, we have to wait too long to lunch at the cafeteria, so I give up and I lunch at home. But, the parking is not big enough for our cars and the seniors cars, and sometimes when we have a short time to lunch, I left my home late and I can't park my car so I'm more late then when I left.

I think some plants will be great too. And some heat as well!!!

Fanny CLAVAUD

Back to top Go down

Post by LAURINE BRUN Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:01 pm

Fanny CLAVAUD wrote:Hi everyone!

Also, we could continue to learn Spanish, German, Italian as an option. It's useful.

I totally agree !
LAURINE BRUN
LAURINE BRUN

Back to top Go down

Post by Pauline Avril Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:48 am

Admin wrote:
Viktor Beekman wrote:
Hello!

Viktor BEEKMAN

That was great until the "just kidding" comment. Evil or Very Mad

I am so disappointed to see that our progression in English is not enough for you John...

How to make this university better ?

We must definitely put the teachers in contact with each others, give heavy works in the same time is definitively not possible ! Sooner or later I am going to do a burn out...  
What else ?
Maybe shut down the grates pressure, and highlight competences instead.

Concerning the environment, the buildings are quite ok, especially  the library. But we should add an multimedia room.
I am also for a room with coaches to chill a bit, being at uni is quite stressing and my back hurt because of these uncomfortable chairs.  
I am not against improve the vegetation outside, nature always is good rendeer  
For sure I am for this creative expression in the scholar restaurant, it's a fresh breath (even if it's a bit too much always funny and it's make me smile).

I suppose that all, it's already enough to work on.

SEE YA, have a great day !
Pauline Avril
Pauline Avril

Back to top Go down

Post by DELAITE Carine Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:18 pm

How can we make our university better ?

- To resume what has been said before, it is true that a little decoration and modernization can do a good point

- Then, I agree with Laurine and others that before to propose a course offering for outsiders people, it should ensure that the car park is big enough for everyone, and actually is not the case and look for a place for 30 minutes to get to class may be irritating haha. And I think it's the same problem for the cafeteria

- Also, regarding the education system, I think teachers should work more effectively as a team but also offer more professional interaction in connection with what one can study during the program

- Finally, I think quality is more important than quantity but the problem is that this year we have lot of team work: it’s interesting but there are too much in the same time !!! So, I find that it negatively affects the quality of the content, especially when the groups are unbalanced: erasmus student with 2 french students vs 4 french students ? One group will require more engagement and work than another .. but the scoring criteria will be the same for each group.

I hope that things change over time!

See you soon !
DELAITE Carine
DELAITE Carine

Back to top Go down

Post by Aleksandra Blaszczak Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:26 pm

Hey, guys! Not that I'm a regular student here, but sure I do have a opinion Wink I'll start by mentioning some positives. In Master's there's a lot of practical work to do in groups which helps students to work on their managerial skills, time management, emotional intelligence, empowering to take on responsibility. And it's great! But there are too many presentations, one or two for every subject! That's seriously unbearable. Fortunately, I'm more than half way through.
Another thing, I wish teachers would speak better English if they're supposed to teach a course in English. It's painful to listen to them sometimes Very Happy and I'm not talking about pronunciation, just overally, lack of vocabulary, correct grammar, they speak Frenglish mostly.
The last thing, there's a problem with not enough ventilation and too much cold in the main auditoria.

Aleksandra Blaszczak

Back to top Go down

Post by Mathilde David Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:54 pm

A cool university, is in my dreams a university where people are not always in competition but the solidarity is the key word! Concerning the decoration, we should already change the green paint of the doors in the corridor that leads to the library or I do not know where. And why not a relaxing room, it would be cool!

A renewal of the team of professors would be a good idea for our success! because we need of professors more at our listening and is not the case for all unfortunately !

And at the external level why not, A small skate park or a more pleasant vegetation with corners to eat outside outside, So elsewhere than our tiny cafetaria even if I like rené Twisted Evil
Mathilde David
Mathilde David

Back to top Go down

Post by Margot Baudoin Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:55 pm

Hiiii,
I'm sorry I may repeat the ideas already expressed.

At first, it's impressive to see how some of our teachers havn't teaching skills . They may be very competent people in their field, but they have difficulty to communicating a program to an amphitheater of students.

The buildings of the university are sad indeed, and it would surely be more joyful to be surrounded by portraits of economists as already expressed in previous posts Smile

Practical detail, but a car park that can accommodate more cars would be really appreciated because at certain times we are obliged to come sooner to be sure to have a place ...

Finally, being forced to keep his coat in lesson but still look like an ice cube is not super nice

Have a good night Smile

Margot Baudoin

Back to top Go down

Post by Léa Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:16 pm

Hello everybody !

I will talk about our university campus because there are some improvements to be made, whether at the level of the teaching or the life on the campus.

First, I think that computers rooms should be more numerous. Indeed, in economic, we have often needed computer software as Excel, Word or SAS and some students don’t have software at their homes because there are payments. Moreover, computer room and university library should be open longer with more with overnight. It should open at least a university library until 10 p.m. from Monday to Friday. Works room is very good ideas to the work group and they will interest to create other room.
I think that there aren’t enough places in some university libraries. For example, the university library in medicine is far too small and there aren’t enough places and electrical outlet to connect the computer.

Concerning the exam periods, I think we should pass the partials before the holidays (with a week of revisions before), even if summers holidays begin later.

To the restoration, choices varied according to the cafeteria (pizzas, salads, sandwiches, pastas, complete meal…). From years to years, we are more and more students eating on the campus. It’s difficult to find seats between 12 a.m. and 1 p.m. The ideal would be to build a room especially for people who take their meal (picnic) to release a few places.

Léa

Back to top Go down

Post by Camille Ayrault Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:00 am

Hello everybody !

To have a better university, maybe have the heat will be cool ! We have cold on the all place of university, to studying it's bad !

Secondly, many student have need to work to paid our study. The university it's free when you have financial aid but often it's enough ! Work during the study it's bad to this student, because when they work to earn money, don't study. For them, it's more difficult to obtain a diploma, often they just have it with the average. To go to a good master, we have need to have a good record, this situation can close a door to access at the master.
But, so the university is free, the student cost at the government. But to reduce this cost, maybe it would be necessary to have better control of personal work and give more to those who give themselves the means to succeed. To the student don't go the class, ( lecture ), to remove the financial aid. Many student, after the hight school, go to the university because they don't know what they want to do, and they are very expensive to the government. They just go to the tutorial.

Camille Ayrault

Back to top Go down

Post by Lauriane BELLOY Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:44 pm

Hello !

I find, as many people on this forum that the administration took too long to repair the heatingin the amphitheater 202, it was really cold and it was dificult to follow the courses correctly or do a test !
Then I find this year in L3 some courses are not really well organized, in fact Ifind it's not good that for only course there are several teachers because it makes the work more complex time to adapt to what to do whith each teacher. This system could be good but often the professors are not well coordinated between them.
I also find that the front of the university is not very beautiful, it would have to put lights for christmas ! but these devices would be expensive.

Lauriane BELLOY

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Chartier Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:55 pm

Hi !!

I don’t really know how to make our university better because I think it is already good !

One week ago, I could have said that to make it better, it would be necessary to turn on the heating, but the problem is now resolved. Smile

No, seriously I think that to make the university better, it could be good to put more decoration. I don’t exactly what but why not some painting or some plants ! I think that corridors and rooms are a little bit sad, cold… Of course, I don’t speak about the Rene’s wonderful Christmas decorations in the cafeteria ! Laughing

Another little problem is the restaurants… Indeed, sometimes, there is just too much people and we have to waiting for a very long time… And sometimes (especially in the cafeteria), there is not enough places. Maybe the CROUS should think about opening a new restaurant…

See you !!

Julie Chartier

Julie Chartier

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum