Week 4 Group 1 - Sweets

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Week 4 Group 1 - Sweets

Post by Admin on Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:11 pm

It's good to have a topic that means you've got to think before you write. I'm sure there are lots of topics linked to sweets that you'll think of to discuss. Suspect
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 2827
Join date : 2015-01-02

View user profile http://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Week 4 Group 1 - Sweets

Post by BROSSET Céline on Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:14 pm

Hi guys ! Very Happy
Hope you're doing well !
This week, we have to discuss about sweets... I do not have wonderful ideas concerning this subject but I thought that we coud talk about putting a sugar tax on sweets ? Do you think it will reduce obesity ? This subject could be interesting if we link it to the nature of our marketing education, by wondering how marketers can sell sweets products to children with plenty respect of their health and a real transparency of the information ?
I don't know if I'm clear enough (It's confused in my own head...)!!
Anyway, what do you think about it...?
Have a nice day!
avatar
BROSSET Céline

Posts : 45
Join date : 2017-09-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Week 4 Group 1 - Sweets

Post by Admin on Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:57 pm

BROSSET Céline wrote:Hi guys ! Very Happy
Hope you're doing well !
This week, we have to discuss about sweets... I do not have wonderful ideas concerning this subject but I thought that we coud talk about putting a sugar tax on sweets ? Do you think it will reduce obesity ? This subject could be interesting if we link it to the nature of our marketing education, by wondering how marketers can sell sweets products to children with plenty respect of their health and a real transparency of the information ?
I don't know if I'm clear enough (It's confused in my own head...)!!
Anyway, what do you think about it...?
Have a nice day!

I think it's a great idea and after a few people have commented perhaps you can give your views.
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 2827
Join date : 2015-01-02

View user profile http://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Week 4 Group 1 - Sweets

Post by Gendry Marceline on Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:31 pm

Hi !
Good idea Céline ! Wink
I am also for the fight against obesity. But I am agaisnt the idea of ​​the sugar tax. Because sweets are mainly intended for children. So by extension, this tax will target children. But the impact of this tax on children will be minimal, because children do not have necessarily the notion of money. So they will keep buying their favorite candies, no matter what the price. And I do not think it's good to charge children. But that is just my opinion Wink

Also, I want to talk about a sweet concept that I found is funny : Jelly Belly Bean Boozled. The Jelly Belly Beans Boozled are American sweets with very surprising tastes like vomit, stinky socks... The rule of the game is simple: you have one chance of two to drawing on a good taste or taste not good. And no way to distinguish them without tasting them. Be careful, this game can disgust you candy Wink
Have a good day !

Gendry Marceline

Posts : 22
Join date : 2017-09-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Week 4 Group 1 - Sweets

Post by Admin on Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:52 pm

Gendry Marceline wrote:Hi !

Also, I want to talk about a sweet concept that I found is funny : Jelly Belly Bean Boozled. The Jelly Belly Beans Boozled are American sweets with very surprising tastes like vomit, stinky socks... The rule of the game is simple: you have one chance of two to drawing on a good taste or taste not good. And no way to distinguish them without tasting them. Be careful, this game can disgust you candy Wink
Have a good day !

That sounds like a copy of the Harry Potter sweets.
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 2827
Join date : 2015-01-02

View user profile http://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Problem of obesity

Post by Gwenaelle Hatchi on Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:52 am

BROSSET Céline wrote:Hi guys ! Very Happy
Hope you're doing well !
This week, we have to discuss about sweets... I do not have wonderful ideas concerning this subject but I thought that we coud talk about putting a sugar tax on sweets ? Do you think it will reduce obesity ? This subject could be interesting if we link it to the nature of our marketing education, by wondering how marketers can sell sweets products to children with plenty respect of their health and a real transparency of the information ?
I don't know if I'm clear enough (It's confused in my own head...)!!
Anyway, what do you think about it...?
Have a nice day!

Obesity is really a problem today for Young population. But I don’t think that it’s necessary to put a sugar tax on sweets. Because this problem comes from elsewhere, namely the fast food.
You don’t agree with me Celine ? Very Happy
avatar
Gwenaelle Hatchi

Posts : 23
Join date : 2017-09-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Fun concept

Post by Gwenaelle Hatchi on Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:13 am

Gendry Marceline wrote:Hi !
Good idea Céline ! Wink
I am also for the fight against obesity. But I am agaisnt the idea of ​​the sugar tax. Because sweets are mainly intended for children. So by extension, this tax will target children. But the impact of this tax on children will be minimal, because children do not have necessarily the notion of money. So they will keep buying their favorite candies, no matter what the price. And I do not think it's good to charge children. But that is just my opinion Wink

Also, I want to talk about a sweet concept that I found is funny : Jelly Belly Bean Boozled. The Jelly Belly Beans Boozled are American sweets with very surprising tastes like vomit, stinky socks... The rule of the game is simple: you have one chance of two to drawing on a good taste or taste not good. And no way to distinguish them without tasting them. Be careful, this game can disgust you candy Wink
Have a good day !

It sounds fun this concept, I never tasted and I discover that. But if you say that this game can disgust us, I hesitate to try ; because for me, I can’t live without candy.. ! I don’t really like sweets with liquorice and sweets "first price” because taste is non-existent.
Don't you agree with me ?  cheers

Disgusting :


So good :
avatar
Gwenaelle Hatchi

Posts : 23
Join date : 2017-09-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Week 4 Group 1 - Sweets

Post by Andrea AROSTEGUY on Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:06 pm

Hey guys !

I agree with you Gwenaelle ! I don't think candy, it's the most problem about obesity. Of course, the target of candy stays the young people, but I think the fast food plays an important role about this problem. In effect, Macdonald's, Burger King and other companies attract the young people too. So, I think it's not necessary to put a sugar tax on sweets and only on sweets. A lot of food privileged obesity and also the drinks like sodas... Sad


Last edited by Andrea AROSTEGUY on Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Andrea AROSTEGUY

Posts : 22
Join date : 2017-09-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Week 4 Group 1 - Sweets

Post by Andrea AROSTEGUY on Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:29 pm

But, personally I don't like sweets... Maybe during a party I probably eat one or two...
I don'y know why... Perhaps when I was young I ate so many sweets and now I'm just disgusted... I don't know... Razz
I prefer crisps, pizza, ham, bacon, toast... Very Happy
Finally, I think it's more interesting for me to put a salt tax.... Laughing

Andrea AROSTEGUY

Posts : 22
Join date : 2017-09-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Week 4 Group 1 - Sweets

Post by maelys fouche on Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:40 pm

Hi!!

For my part, I really love sweets better than chocolate!! I buy sometimes sweets but not too much because I can eat the entire box of candies so I need to be careful. I prefer spiciness candies like the blue and pink one with a shape of Coca Cola's bottle. If you really like sweets I heard that if you go the Haribo's factury you can buy big boxes of 5 pound at the end of the visit, it's quite cool! I'm agreed with you guys do not put taxes on sugar because it will be unfair for children who don't even know what taxes are and we can't put taxes on every products even if it's to fight against obesity. I think they are many others ways to contribute to reduce obesity from sweets. scratch

maelys fouche

Posts : 22
Join date : 2017-09-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Week 4 Group 1 - Sweets

Post by maelys fouche on Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:44 pm

Gendry Marceline wrote:Hi !
Good idea Céline ! Wink
I am also for the fight against obesity. But I am agaisnt the idea of ​​the sugar tax. Because sweets are mainly intended for children. So by extension, this tax will target children. But the impact of this tax on children will be minimal, because children do not have necessarily the notion of money. So they will keep buying their favorite candies, no matter what the price. And I do not think it's good to charge children. But that is just my opinion Wink

Also, I want to talk about a sweet concept that I found is funny : Jelly Belly Bean Boozled. The Jelly Belly Beans Boozled are American sweets with very surprising tastes like vomit, stinky socks... The rule of the game is simple: you have one chance of two to drawing on a good taste or taste not good. And no way to distinguish them without tasting them. Be careful, this game can disgust you candy Wink
Have a good day !

Ahaha I know these kind of candies, I always wanted to try but never did !! Maybe a day, but I think it would be super fun to try with people because you can laugh at them if they eat the vomit one or the booger one Laughing !

maelys fouche

Posts : 22
Join date : 2017-09-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Week 4 Group 1 - Sweets

Post by Clémence Giraud on Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:20 pm

Hi there,

Like Andrea I don't think eating sweets is the real problem of obesity. Of course there is the development of fast-food but I think there is another reason. Nowdays, kids are not active enouth, they prefer to keep thereselves in the sofa and play videogames or consult their social network in order to move their ass outside...
Also, I'm afraid when I eat sweets because its very chimical and we don't know the composition of the products... Neutral
To remain in the subject, my favorite sweet its "réglisse fourré à la pâte d'amande" ^^and I also love all the chocolate sweets. I don't like quills sweets. Surprised
avatar
Clémence Giraud

Posts : 34
Join date : 2017-09-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Week 4 Group 1 - Sweets

Post by Clémence Giraud on Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:23 pm

Gwenaelle Hatchi wrote:
Gendry Marceline wrote:Hi !
Good idea Céline ! Wink
I am also for the fight against obesity. But I am agaisnt the idea of ​​the sugar tax. Because sweets are mainly intended for children. So by extension, this tax will target children. But the impact of this tax on children will be minimal, because children do not have necessarily the notion of money. So they will keep buying their favorite candies, no matter what the price. And I do not think it's good to charge children. But that is just my opinion Wink

Also, I want to talk about a sweet concept that I found is funny : Jelly Belly Bean Boozled. The Jelly Belly Beans Boozled are American sweets with very surprising tastes like vomit, stinky socks... The rule of the game is simple: you have one chance of two to drawing on a good taste or taste not good. And no way to distinguish them without tasting them. Be careful, this game can disgust you candy Wink
Have a good day !

It sounds fun this concept, I never tasted and I discover that. But if you say that this game can disgust us, I hesitate to try ; because for me, I can’t live without candy.. ! I don’t really like sweets with liquorice and sweets "first price” because taste is non-existent.
Don't you agree with me ?  cheers

Disgusting :


So good :

I don't agree with youuuuuuuu ! liquorice sweets are so delicious !!!
avatar
Clémence Giraud

Posts : 34
Join date : 2017-09-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Week 4 Group 1 - Sweets

Post by Manon Bonnaffous on Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:03 am

I also agree with you girls, I do not think it is the sweets that are responsible for obesity but rather fast food, lack of sports activity and lack of balanced food.

My parents talked to me about a report they saw y'a some time on the United States, indeed children eat only fast food even in the canteen and they do not know what vegetables are . I think this is a real problem!
I find that children eat what they want and often not the best so put a tax on sweets I do not think it would be good to tax sodas, sweet drinks and fast food!
I also think that we should make children more aware of the subject on the subject, and show them that sport is good for health and that it is better to go out than stay on the couch to play in front of a screen!
 
I like the sweets, I eat from time to time but not regularly I prefer chocolate! My favorite sweets are the sweets that stings!

I do not know the Harry Potter candies that are a bit like the concept Jelly Belly Bean Boozled but I never wanted to taste for fear of falling on taste vomit or nose crotch for example!

Manon Bonnaffous

Posts : 8
Join date : 2017-10-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Week 4 Group 1 - Sweets

Post by BROSSET Céline on Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:36 am

Hi everybody ! Very Happy
I totally agree with you ! (Marceline, I love this concept!! Very Happy Like John, it reminds me Harry Pottter sweets !
My point wasn't to say that sweets are responsible of obesity, but rather to think how marketers could "cleverly" sell products like it to children. Like, you know, be totally transparent in the information, and respectful about young consumers.
According to me, if sweet aren't responsible of obesity, there're still full of "shits" in their components, and that's a problem because of the main target (children).
For instance, we lately found that sweets are filled with nanoparticles...
"Organic sweets" could be a funny concept, don't you think ? In terms of marketing, a brand can introduce a new market. Well, it's just an idea, but I think that efforts must have to be done to improve the quality of these products. Brands are lazy in this area !!! Wink
avatar
BROSSET Céline

Posts : 45
Join date : 2017-09-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Week 4 Group 1 - Sweets

Post by Vincent Balthazar on Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:57 am

Hello mates !

I think sweets are "dangerous" (not a lot of course, but a little). We have to intervene in schools withe the goals of sensitize children about impacts on health. Maybe we can link sweets with junk food because in both cases people get diabetes from eating too much sugar or fat. So I hope parents will be able to, or are able to limit sweets consumption from their children. For those who don't know much about diabetes for example it's difficult to understand how candies and junk food can be bad... That's why we have to promote a healthy life.

However, I think we don't have to forbid sweets because that's sound delicious and we can't divest it for the children lol! (That's inconsistent with what I said before  silent)

We just have to know and try to control the risks...

Bye friends, and don't forget : eat sweets but not too much Smile

Vincent Balthazar

Posts : 24
Join date : 2017-09-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Week 4 Group 1 - Sweets

Post by Florine Bouchet on Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:09 am

Hello everyone, 

As you know I grew up in a bakery, so obviously I love candy! I will tell you a little story, when I was little my parents always ordered me to tell them everything I was taking at the store. Once, I filled my mouth with sweets and my mother said, "Remember what I told you Florine?" and I nodded with huge cheeks... My favorite sweets are: smurfs, red crocodils and chamallows and above all, chocolate. Particularly the Milka brand! Buy this one it's really the best! Well it's a family format but I assure you that for one person it's perfect. 


So, you understand that if there was a tax on sweets I think it would be very expensive for me...

Florine Bouchet

Posts : 24
Join date : 2017-09-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Week 4 Group 1 - Sweets

Post by Solène Bergier on Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:54 am

Hi guys!

I agree with Gwenaelle and Andrea. We cannot put taxes on sweets, because the first person whom will be affected are children and I don't think they are tal enough to understand and have a better consumption of sweets.
Morevover, nowadays, as Andrea said, children are always on their tablets, playing video games or watching movies instead of doing some sport, going outside, see their friends... Parents should pay more attention to children, their cunsumption patterns (fast food, sweets all day long). In order to reduce the obesity rate which impact particularly the young people, parents should take out their kids, go hiking, do some sports...
In my opinion, the real problem is more about the education of children, they are not raise awareness among the obesity problem and what is good for them (good nutrition, do some sport, do not watch tv all the time...). Parents should be able to say that to their children and support activities with them.

Solène Bergier

Posts : 10
Join date : 2017-10-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Week 4 Group 1 - Sweets

Post by Solène Bergier on Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:04 am

Regarding sweets, I do not eat a lof of them, but I really like it!! For sweets are for family reunion, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, vacations or for big events! It is for sharing and particular moments

I do not think I have favorites sweets, but I use to buy Pyrenéens of Lindt whith milk chocolate, Dragibus, Ferrero Rocher, Daim... and of course Milka, all kind of Milka's products !! Very Happy

Solène Bergier

Posts : 10
Join date : 2017-10-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Week 4 Group 1 - Sweets

Post by Virginie Auclair on Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:26 pm

Florine Bouchet wrote:Hello everyone, 

As you know I grew up in a bakery, so obviously I love candy! I will tell you a little story, when I was little my parents always ordered me to tell them everything I was taking at the store. Once, I filled my mouth with sweets and my mother said, "Remember what I told you Florine?" and I nodded with huge cheeks... My favorite sweets are: smurfs, red crocodils and chamallows and above all, chocolate. Particularly the Milka brand! Buy this one it's really the best! Well it's a family format but I assure you that for one person it's perfect. 


So, you understand that if there was a tax on sweets I think it would be very expensive for me...

You have a problem with sugar.. this girl eats 2 to 3 chocolate bars in one day affraid
avatar
Virginie Auclair

Posts : 18
Join date : 2017-09-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Week 4 Group 1 - Sweets

Post by Virginie Auclair on Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:33 pm

I am against the tax for sugar, if people eat too much is their problems .. For otherwise we would have to put a tax on all fat products, and then all would be too expensive ...
The parents buy the products for the children, so they have to buy apples Laughing
Candies are sometimes a tradition like for halloween for example, it makes dream the children.
For me the best sweets are those that are acidic, such as atomic carambars Razz
avatar
Virginie Auclair

Posts : 18
Join date : 2017-09-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Week 4 Group 1 - Sweets

Post by Mayra Fernandes on Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:50 pm

Hey, guys!

This is a very interesting discussion. Although I love sweets I also think they can be very dangerous when it’s too much.

I guess the beginning of the problem is when the kids are still very young, discovering flavors developing their taste, and usually their own parents or grandparents introduce sugar to their diet. And the problem is sugar is very addictive. It acts directly in the brain, triggering a chemical process that liberates hormones that make us happy. For kids, it’s even worse, because it creates the initial phase of craving for sweets and dependency of sugar.

Of course, most of the parents don’t realize that when they give a candy to see their children happy. If they knew exactly what they were doing I guess it would be very different. But, neither the media nor the industry want people to know that because the addiction for sugar is the same as more money. The media makes their profit by advertising about sugar, and the industry creates the more and more consumers. And after that, we have the pharmaceutical industry, that profits even more with all the diseases that can be developed by the overkill.

Little by little I think things are changing. There is a movement growing fast towards the clean eating and slow food. A lot of celebrities are trying to spread the word about health and food, like Jamie Oliver, Phil McGraw and. Jillian Michaels. And now we have a lot of TV shows, YouTube Channels, documentaries that helps people to know more about what they are really eating.

To finish, it’s not really related to sweets, but I saw this documentary on Netflix, and it really changed my way to think about the food industry:



Bye!

Mayra Fernandes

Posts : 12
Join date : 2017-09-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Week 4 Group 1 - Sweets

Post by Solène Bergier on Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:28 am

Thank you for the video Mayra! It's very interesting....

Solène Bergier

Posts : 10
Join date : 2017-10-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Week 4 Group 1 - Sweets

Post by marie brachet on Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:37 pm

Hi! In this topic it is said that sugar is bad because it is linked with obesity but sugar causes other problems like hyperactivity. However I don't think that a sugar tax would be a solution because sugar is not only present in candies but in almost all food products we buy! So it would create a real increase in prices when we buy food. I think that candies should be made with healthier ingredients (but I don't know if their taste would be better than traditional candies) and that parents should be more careful about what children eat.

Personally, my favorite candies are dragibus!

marie brachet

Posts : 13
Join date : 2017-09-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Week 4 Group 1 - Sweets

Post by Eudes de Geyer d'Orth on Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:27 pm

Gendry Marceline wrote:Hi !
Good idea Céline ! Wink
I am also for the fight against obesity. But I am agaisnt the idea of ​​the sugar tax. Because sweets are mainly intended for children. So by extension, this tax will target children. But the impact of this tax on children will be minimal, because children do not have necessarily the notion of money. So they will keep buying their favorite candies, no matter what the price. And I do not think it's good to charge children. But that is just my opinion Wink

Also, I want to talk about a sweet concept that I found is funny : Jelly Belly Bean Boozled. The Jelly Belly Beans Boozled are American sweets with very surprising tastes like vomit, stinky socks... The rule of the game is simple: you have one chance of two to drawing on a good taste or taste not good. And no way to distinguish them without tasting them. Be careful, this game can disgust you candy Wink
Have a good day !

Please Marceline, don't speak about Jelly Belly Beans Boozled !! I HATE IT !
Last year my english teacher traumatized me with these candies. She had an enormous box of Jelly Belly Beans and when we made a mistake of english, she gave us one jelly Belly Beans. In each of my mistakes i had the chance to have the most digusting tastes .... So now i can't eat any more Jelly Belly Beans No pale
avatar
Eudes de Geyer d'Orth

Posts : 21
Join date : 2017-09-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Week 4 Group 1 - Sweets

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum