Week 3 discussion - Innovations

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: Week 3 discussion - Innovations

Post by Admin on Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:23 pm

Juliette Bouba-Olga wrote:
In my mind, today it's more difficult to innovate beacause I have the impression that everything was already invented..

People always think that. It's why invention and innovation are so unexpected.

Last edited by Admin on Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Post by hb on Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:51 pm

How to speak about innovation without speaking about virtual reality ?

In fact, the virtual reality has been created in 1970 at Utah university, but in recent years has grown with the new helmets being put on sale since 2016. Indeed, today thanks to phones we can immerse ourself in an artificial world.
Games take on a new dimension with the 3D, you feel like you’re a member of the game like in the real life.

In a few years maybe we'll see everyone with virtual reality helmets, whether at home or at work. But in my opinion all this innovation spoils the whole social we had before knowing the mobile phones.

Across the street, we see children playing with their mobile phones. In nowadays, I have this impression that there is a preference for the virtual than the real.

hb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Dmn on Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:56 pm

Admin wrote:
Ali Dmn wrote:One of the subjects that I am closely following these days is the news about the Hyperloop project. If I accord great interest to this project it’s mainly because I am interested about the character behind this idea, Elon Musk. Elon Musk is one of the scarce, unavoidable and one of the major innovative entrepreneurs of our century established in the technological sector. CEO of Tesla, Space X and CTO, this eternal dreamer wants to improve the life of the human beings, save the humankind by trying to send them to Mars by 2022, protect the nature by creating the energy of the future and many other ambitions. Hence, the hyperloop will probably be the fastest travelling system after the plane. To illustrate, passengers will be able to travel from Washington to New York within 29 minutes. Besides this first transportation system, he has also imagined several other alternatives, the ability to travel by rockets or by tunnels to avoid jams.

Thus, he’s a true visionary and dreamer; he’s constantly trying to imagine how the future could look like.
One of his secrets to improve technology is to bring great people together who share the same will and work hard to make it better.

Another subject that I want to discuss is artificial intelligence. We can notice this coming innovation just by using our phones. Just say “Ok google” or “Say Siri”, the voice recognizer will answer automatically, you will hear how artificial intelligence sounds like. This technology sounds crazy. It’s just a matter of time before we will have robots featured with artificial intelligence just like in the science fiction films such as I-Robot. Even though, the idea sounds exciting and futuristic numerous issues can be quoted like ; what will happen if one day this artificial intelligence becomes more clever than a human brain ? What happens if we can’t control it ? Or even if we can, what happens if it’s in the hands of malicious people ? Despite the better offs that we can find in innovation we will always find people who want to use it negatively.

All these innovations are just a logical step forward of everything that we can see around us. We used to have trains, now we have the hyperloops, we used to have computers, now we have artificial intelligence, we don’t even need to type it on a keyboard anymore. Until we have one human being on this world, who has the dreaming capacity and the ambition to change the world, we wouldn’t be able to stop innovation because innovation is what keeps us alive.

By reading your topics, it’s true that we don’t see a technological revolution every morning but several small every day. These small cluster of innovations always finish to a large technological revolution and vice versa.

Until then...

If only 10% of Musk's ideas come to fruition, he'll have done us all a great service. I think the hyperloop is less likely than many.

Possible. Nevertheless, the fact that he clearly expresses his different projects creates a sort of motivation and optimism for the future and until there's this motivation there will be people willing to succeed in inventing and creating new stuff. Even though, he might not be the one who will personally create his proper ideas, he’ll be the one who will trigger innumerable other inventors.
Moreover, I think it's worth trying and failing than do nothing and wait. This aspect is always admiring, the ability for people to take risks and the determination that they demonstrate.

Last but not least, I think everybody has heard the story of Edison with his numerous attempts to create the light bulb. It is said that after 1000 unsuccessful attempts, Edison succeeds to create the light bulb. What would have happened if he stopped at the 1000 bulb? There’s only success in the one whose determinate.
Ali Dmn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aymen B on Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:06 pm

i think that it's very interesting to talk about the virtual reality and the connected objects.
Like you said Hala, they are taking more and more place in our society, and there's many innovations there.
Like the new GloveOne. Gloves that give you virtual sensations. Like feeling the rain on your hands.
I let you discover this glove on this link if anyone is interested :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAZidk_mPc8

It's still games. Not reality. I think that in the future it will stay present as todays PS4 and other games platforms. it's just another kind of entertainment that should be controlled carefully.
Aymen B

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aymen B on Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:16 pm

Elon Musk is a very innovative person. he created the Tesla electric car and launching rockets with SpaceX,he was also the co-founder of PayPal and one of the richest person in america.
He carries a lot of dreams. But not all the dreams come true.
Rather than doing nothing and wait. we need to focus on improving what is already existing in our economy and make it better.
That way we take less risks when it's about making new projects and innovations come true. So we have to go step by step and keep dreaming.
Aymen B

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CLOCHARD Alexis on Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:32 pm

For me the best innovation that has been created is not a technological innovation that makes it possible to make money in the capitalist world ...
The most beautiful innovation is of course the transplantation of organs such as kidneys, liver, lungs, bone marrow, face but also the heart for some years now.  Laughing
This is particularly important to me because a member of my family needed it after a domestic accident.
This is very important for the reconstruction of the person, for the confidence but also for the entourage of the person who needs it.

Other "important" innovations are :  Laughing . Here are some great gift ideas for Christmas lol!

For those who do not have a beard like me, this product is made for you

For those who hate to do housework and who have little brothers or sisters : ^^

CLOCHARD Alexis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:40 am

Bergam Hala wrote:

In a few years maybe we'll see everyone with virtual reality helmets, whether at home or at work. But in my opinion all this innovation spoils the whole social we had before knowing the mobile phones.

Across the street, we see children playing with their mobile phones. In nowadays, I have this impression that there is a preference for the virtual than the real.

In the 70's and 80's I really wanted a virtual reality headset (well body suit actually) but couldn't afford one. Then VR seemed to be forgotten but now it's back and I'd love one again but they are so expensive!

As for kids and phones - at least they are communicating with each other and not off in their own virtual world.

As for the picture I wake up exactly the opposite - thinking it must've been virtual whereas it was in fact reality. Shocked
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Corentin Eberle on Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:32 am

Admin wrote:
Bergam Hala wrote:

In the 70's and 80's I really wanted a virtual reality headset (well body suit actually) but couldn't afford one. Then VR seemed to be forgotten but now it's back and I'd love one again but they are so expensive!

As for kids and phones - at least they are communicating with each other and not off in their own virtual world.

As for the picture I wake up exactly the opposite - thinking it must've been virtual whereas it was in fact reality. Shocked
He had a choice: the kids or the VR. He chose... poorly.
Corentin Eberle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hb on Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:04 pm

Admin wrote:
Bergam Hala wrote:

Today, there are so many brand wich are engaged in the production of VR helmets, and as we know, when the supply increases prices fall. Infact now you can buy one for 50€ ...

In the case of children, I think there's a risk on the net for them. They can talk with adults thinking that they are children. In my opinion, there's nothing better than to meet with each other and play together.

You never know who's behind the screen Evil or Very Mad

hb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum