UP English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Week 4 - Feminism Nowadays

+21
zonglin
Céline Métais
wenhaoyi meng
BAH Mamadou Gando
Agathe NEGRONI
Mai Huyen
Khiet Bang Nguyen
kamel khedim
Arthur Lombard
Elise Maret
Vincent Hyvernaud
Mathilda Joyeux
Emma
Joseph Boursier
Brighton Guibert
Lauralee G
Arnaud H
Rosh LOUKOU
Céline Mille
CHARLES Denis
Admin
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Week 4 - Feminism Nowadays Empty Week 4 - Feminism Nowadays

Post by Admin Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:56 am

So what do you think about Feminism nowadays? How would you define it? Is it pro-woman or anti-man? Is there a confusion between feminism and sexual harassment? What angle would you like to introduce to this subject?
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Week 4 - Feminism Nowadays Empty Re: Week 4 - Feminism Nowadays

Post by CHARLES Denis Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:26 pm

I think that femenism concerns not only women but everybody. Even if many things was made (IVG, contraception...) there are much more to do. The most important work to do now is to change mentalities. In fact, three out of four people can't recognize a situation of sexual harassment at work...Currently mainstream media talk about this problem (for example a film in this issue was broadcast two weeks ago). Also, the hashtag #balancetonporc foster the liberalization of speech, which is good and I hope will encourage futur victims (and witnesses) to complain.

Moreover inequalities between men and women still exist. In a relationship between a man and a woman, even if the split of household task is more and more equal, the mental workload (the fact to think of household tasks for instance) is carried by the woman, which is not equal.
So mentalities must change, and for me it's through education that it will work : if a child sees his both parents make household tasks he will internalize the fact that the repartition has to be equal.

CHARLES Denis

Back to top Go down

Post by Céline Mille Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:20 pm

I agree with you Denis, inequalities between men and women still exist. For example, women don't have the same chance to succeed at work, and they are subjected to sexual harassment. Feminism fight against a form of discrimination. It's not anti-man, but feminism want to change how men think.

Céline Mille

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosh LOUKOU Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:26 pm

Honestly , I don't really know Feminism or rather it's worldwide dimension. But, I'd say it's very important to come aback and realize that how Human Being is the best gift for everyone.
Avoid inequalities between human being will be a good idea.

Today, Women must be a plus for society by idea , behaviours and must be help and don't trouble or division's subjects for relationships in the world. "Everyone should know his position"
By example , vote women is a good thing.

Trouble people because of anything must be reject deeply.
Thanks pirat

Rosh LOUKOU

Back to top Go down

Post by Arnaud H Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:15 pm

I agree with Denis and he gave good examples, but it remains some points to shine a light on. And I'm sorry Rosh, I don't understand what you are saying about feminism.

So, I find that today, there is a movement of extremist feminism who blocks a major change. I saw it on social media (like Twitter & Facebook) and with my friends. My male friends are exhausted of this lack of tolerance. I agree with them but, wow, when I looked on the subject, I was shocked. 100% of women know a situation of sexual harassment ; only 13% of victims of rape lodge a complain, because of the society, of course, but also because of the bad treatment of those victims by the police.

Everything seems settled, or in the good way, but it's so slow ! I understand those harpies on Twitter or 'violent' groups like Femen. Things must change quickly, and it's not with speeches like what we have made the most important to reduce inequalities that it will change. And obviously, I don't forget the glass ceiling and the gender pay gap.
If you think that all progress are guaranteed, I always think that an anti-feminism got elected at the head of the U.S.

Kiss.

Arnaud H

Back to top Go down

Post by Lauralee G Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Hello everybody
I agree with Denis, there are many things that have been done but much remains to be done. On the other hand, you say that "the hashtag #balancetonporc foster the liberalization of speech, which is good and I hope will encourage future victims (and witnesses) to complain" but I think that it is possible that there is an abuse of this liberalization.
I also think that it is in future generations that changes will be seen because it is the way in which children are educated that will influence mentalities.

Lauralee G

Back to top Go down

Post by Brighton Guibert Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:02 pm

Hello,
I, too, think that the hashtag #balancetonporc is pretty good but girls tend to tell that "this men did this to me" but don't always complain to the cop and it's just personal vendetta and for me it's completely useless because you don't know if it's real or not except when they go see the cop. Well that's all for the hashtag.
Now let's talk about work, don't women want equality in all aspect, equality in job that there is the same amount of men and women at work, the same wages ? I'm ok with the wages for jobs that doesn't require physical power but have you ever seen a women work as a builder ? I've never seen one ! So equality is pretty beautiful to say but it's only for the jobs that isn't physically hard to do. Well I thinks that's enough, men and women shall be equal in all aspect, in all type of work (and I don't think there will be a lots of women doing building work).

Brighton Guibert

Back to top Go down

Post by Joseph Boursier Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:04 pm

Week 4 - Feminism Nowadays 20081011
Week 4 - Feminism Nowadays Comple10

Joseph Boursier

Back to top Go down

Post by Brighton Guibert Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:09 pm

Yes yes it's pretty easy to find these image but have you ever seen one in real life, not on the internet ? Wink
By the way I don't say that these image are fake, maybe they are, maybe they are just PUB or I don't know what else.

Brighton Guibert

Back to top Go down

Post by Joseph Boursier Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:40 pm

Absolutely! there is some women builder, they are just a minority, i know some and they are as usefull as a men Sleep
But you're right, they are a minority

Joseph Boursier

Back to top Go down

Post by Emma Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:35 am

Hello there
I agree with Denis too. Even if we can say that many thinkgs have been done for these past decades, so much is possible again. It’s not only about saying « Feminism is important we should all be » but actually really thinking that cause it’s right, mentalities should evoluate if I can say. We are in a era where being a woman is still not safe out there ..

Emma

Back to top Go down

Post by Mathilda Joyeux Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:04 pm

Hello everyone !
The definition of feminism depends on the person. For some people, it's to want equality between men and women and for others it's the superiority of women. It's also a question of discrimination at work, in the street ...
Feminism is a little bit taboo subject. Many people see the feminism as an extreme because it's the extremists who get more noticed.
But wanted to see women having the same rights as men it's also wanted to see men having the same rights as women for example for the maternity leaves, otherwise it's a little bit hypocritical (Even if we agree that women are more touched by this discrimination)

Mathilda Joyeux

Back to top Go down

Post by Vincent Hyvernaud Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:00 pm

Hello,

I agree with Denis, the right of women concerns everybody. To understand that, I invite you to watch the speech of Emma Watson at the UN congress for the equality of men and women. She explains how this equality can be great for the both sises.

Vincent Hyvernaud

Back to top Go down

Post by Elise Maret Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:09 pm

Hello,
I absolutely agree with Denis and his example. I think feminism it for social, political and equality of sexes. Today it's not the case and women still fighting more than men to obtain some jobs, against some reflexions and some ideas.
But some feminism groups, like "Femen" for example, are too extremes for me. The idea and the cause are good but the way to defend this cause is, sometimes, too violent and I don't think violence is the solution.
I hope mentalities will change rapidly and durably about women condition.

Elise Maret

Back to top Go down

Post by Arthur Lombard Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:22 pm

Hi,

I think gendre pay gap at work is a shame. I dont understand why, in 2017, in our country (which is a "developed" country), women are still payed 17% less than men for the same work. That's why I'm a feminist. Obviously the fight of feminism is not limitated to the gendre pay gap, but I think it this is the basics...

I dont think feminism should be anti-man, I once have a debate with a girl who did not understand that, as a man, I could be feminist. She thought feminism was a fight that only women can lead. So no, feminism isn't anti man, it is pro woman, and men can stand for women rights too. Not deciding what they need to do tho, but help them in the fight.

Concerning sexual harrassment, yes it's an enormous problem for feminist movement. Personaly, i find that punishments for sexual harrassers or even worst, are waaaaay too kind. We need to be without pity with those men (and women because sometimes, women harrass men too), in order to really change things. And I'm convinced that it's not a problem of the "society" which push men to be harrassers, I think it's just a problem of education. No excuses for those men.

Arthur Lombard

Back to top Go down

Post by kamel khedim Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:09 pm

Women constitute the half part of the global population and educate the half other part.
Today, the fight of feminism is unclear. They campaign for the equality between the two genders, the liberty by criticizing the condition of women in some developing or poor countries. And I'm ok with that saying that there is no more noble and precious living being than women. But, feminist of the FEMEN can't struggle sexual harassment, glass ceiling, low unfair women salaries by letting companies of advertising using the woman as an objet of consumption. Then, that doesn't make any sense. This act of defending women right goes through an intelligent, consistent startegy rather than featherbrain exposition of naked girls... Crying or Very sad

kamel khedim

Back to top Go down

Post by Khiet Bang Nguyen Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:37 pm

Besides the good feminist movements, there are always false perceptions. Feminism can be a legitimate struggle, but there are also those who abuse the term "feminism," which causes the movement to go astray. Some women do not want to receive help from men. It was their choice, but instead of being polite they were annoyed with the men who wanted to help them, and they called it feminism. Feminism is not a anti-man movement. To my opinon, the aim of feminism to make people believe in the ability of women, rather than downplaying men.

Khiet Bang Nguyen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mai Huyen Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:07 pm

Hello,
When you think about feminism, the first thing that comes to mind probably is it pro-woman or anti-man? But it's strange that most of us perceive gender equality as only uplifting ladies, when the women's liberation actually had a lasting impact on all of us.
- According to the Economist, the empowerment of career women is one of the most defining changes in the industrialized world.

- It's seen as this feminize campaign where females should rule the world. But we can’t deny that it's really about equality.
Of course men and women are different and that has to be taken into account in some areas, such as sports. We should all have a mutual respect and acceptance for one another.
There are so many issues in this world regarding equality and the debate of feminism and of entitled feminism simply takes away from that.
- Moreover, many people believes that feminism takes some pressure off men. Because 85% of our military is male, this reduces an unfair burden placed on men to take on dangerous assignments for our national security.
- Feminism is not sexual harassment, this two field is much different. Sexual harassment is any unwanted sexual attention a woman experiences. Sexual harassment can occur in any situation where men have power over women. Feminism simply means wanting everybody to be treated equally regardless of their sex. It's as simple as that.

Mai Huyen

Back to top Go down

Post by Agathe NEGRONI Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:21 pm

Hi,
I totally agree with most of you. Feminism is a necessary struggle nowadays and everyone is concerned, both women and men, but the « extremist » tendencies like the FEMEN wholly discredit the movement. We need a smart struggle and even if mentalities are changing in a right way, there’s still a lot to be done to reach equality : I read the topic of the group C about sexual harassment and I was shocked by one comment..it seems like some people are still living in the Middle-Age…

Agathe NEGRONI

Back to top Go down

Post by BAH Mamadou Gando Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:26 pm

hi everyone,
Glad to be back again with another interresting topic such as feminism.
Feminism in my opinion is a way of defending equality between men and women in almost all the aspects of our life i mean this way of thinking involve political, economic, personnal, cultural and legal equality.
Because of courage and self-sacrifice of some people who back at the time rose against inequality between men and women, nowadays eventhough this is not completely effective but situation has improved significantely. The laws governed most of the countries around the world and take into account men and women equality wich is the better way to achieive this goal.
But some people in every subject that concerned the society they fall into radical forms. Defending a way of thinking most not lead to inequality. That's why this is a subject that most be discussed wisely so that men would not feel the samething felt by women before.

BAH Mamadou Gando

Back to top Go down

Post by wenhaoyi meng Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:58 pm

Hi
I think the Feminism is a great step forward for whole society.
Sexism and bias is the things we should abandoned.But we also have to admit that the emergence of the sexism due to differences in production capacity back to the age which human being is on the low-level productive forces.Today women can do the same or better in some aspect but not in everything.And just like Boursier's pictures and "we can do it" in WW2,these are true and correct feminism,women can do something when given them the right to prove their own and earn what they deserve. But the feminism doesn’t means everything makes no difference.

wenhaoyi meng

Back to top Go down

Post by wenhaoyi meng Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:59 pm

Week 4 - Feminism Nowadays Images10

wenhaoyi meng

Back to top Go down

Post by Céline Métais Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:04 pm

Hi !
Women had always been considered lower than men... But fortunately, in our modern societies the mentalities changed (well, most of them, anyway...). Women have demonstrated that they could do the same things as men (professionally, in sport, in politics, etc).
So, yes, feminism is very important because we must continue to fight for the gender equity. It's not normal, at the same job position, a woman earns less than a man.

Céline Métais

Back to top Go down

Post by zonglin Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:52 pm

Hello everyone,
For me, it isn’t pro-woman, neither anti-man. Like Emma Watson was said in her speech “The belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities. It’s the theory of the political, economic and social equality of the sexes.”
And I think that this can help the women to get their right, to have a equal contract of job like the men. Because there exist always an inequality in the wages between men and women in most of countries.

See you tomorrow.

zonglin

Back to top Go down

Post by zonglin Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:55 pm

And, I agree with Dennis too !

zonglin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down