Artificial Intelligence

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Artificial Intelligence

Post by Admin on Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:36 am

Artificial Intelligence. There are a lot of different angles you can look at this subject from. Make me interested.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Artificial Intelligence

Post by Jake Needham on Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:01 am

So i brought up the topic of artificial intelligence after seeing this video the other day. Named Sophia, she is the first robot to receive citizenship.
To me this is an amazing leap in robotics, and i find the video below especially intriguing. The advancements that have been made to AI is incredible, how Sophia is able to remember and recognize one of her creators, look up in real time any information she desires. Simply incredible.

Here's the video for those who would like to see it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LguXfHKsa0c

Jake Needham

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:15 am

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CHARLES Denis on Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:04 pm

Hi,
I have already watch the video about Sophia.
On one hand I'm really impressed and think that this (r)evolution will permit a lot (for example to help old people to manage themselves alone, the robot could be an help for them).
But in an other and this scares me, the autonomy of Sophia could leed anywhere...(maybe because the film I, Robot scares me when I was a child... Shocked )

If you want to see another movie which talks about AI there is "Her" by Spike Jones (I talk about it in a former topic).

CHARLES Denis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Elise Maret on Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:20 pm

Hello,
Jake and Charles talk about Sophia. I've seen the video and it's incredible. It's very strange and makes me feel awkward. Sophia is so realistic. It made me a little bit scared even if it's a real technological advance. I think the danger would be that people forget that they are robots.

Elise Maret

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:28 am

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Agathe NEGRONI on Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:52 pm

Hi,

I’ve seen the 2 videos and like you, I am both impressed and scared.
This evolution is really amazing (and fast) because we’ve done a lot in AI for several years, and Sophia is a perfect illustration of that : she can cary on a conversation, even tell jokes and her facial expressions are very realistic (which is really disturbing in a certain way..)

But this AI has its limits : with the autonomous car for example, an ethical question has been raised : in case of danger, how does it have to react ? Moreover, a fatal accident took place in Florida 2 years ago with a Tesla because this one didn’t react to an imminent danger…
The film AI (first picture on this topic) scared me as a child because the robots were too realistic and I didn’t know it could be possible one day…even Hollywood made movies about an out-of-control AI like Terminator.

So the question is : where will we stop ? scratch

Agathe NEGRONI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Emma on Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:15 am

Like charles, the vidéo either impressed me and scared me cause we can see the technology has reached an advanced level now and that it keeps improving which is a really good thing in many sectors, but you can also see that Sophia’s answers to certain questions are a lil scary. Example when she was asked if she likes human lol she took a really long time to answer and her face ?? I just can’t help myself thinking about all these movies where the robots that humans created turned to be angry against their creators and transformed themselves into evil machines wanting chaos and destruction lol

Emma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Laila Mejnoun on Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:12 pm

I agree with Emma. I’ve seen this part and this is scary and very impressive. I think that Artificial Intelligence will replace us in our futurs jobs. Robots can be policeman, drivers, doctors, sellers, accouting, server, home help and so many… I’ve read an article in the Guardian which says that robots will replace 1 in 3 jobs in UK over the 20 years. I’m excited to see what will be our societies when we will not work. We always says that work is freedom, but maybe not work is freedom too. We will have more time to enjoy, to have more leisures and make the world a better place for everyone.

Laila Mejnoun

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Arnaud H on Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:52 pm

After reading all of you, I see one thing : we are scared of AI because it's too close to humanity. The modern machines just make the same thing forever. Here, we've got intelligence which are evolving, day after day. And he might be an unlimited evolution, widely beyond human capacities. Some dystopia described those AI which will create the replica of themselves and take the place of humanity.
Before to get in this, those AI must become "intelligent". I read an article about this issue, illustrated with the example of a paperclip. If we ask to an AI to make paperclips how it would react ? Maybe it will make one giant paperclip, or never stop until he can't ; or to make the most of paperclips, it needs to destroy humanity. The author says that if it's intelligent, it will ask how much.
Not to be exceeded, it creates an other subject, about transhumanism : does humanity have to evolve artificially to follow his creations ?

Arnaud H

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top