The Crown (spoiler)

Go down

The Crown (spoiler)

Post by Léa Aupetit on Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:41 pm

I've choose this series because it's the one I'm currently watching, but it won't last long since there are just two season and I'm watching several episodes every day. It's not the first time I begin this series. I tried to watch it few month ago but I didn't really liked it. It's a problem I have with a lot of series (at the beginning I didn't like Sense 8 which is really stupid because it's now one of my favorite of all time!)
There is no suspens in this series, of course, it's a real story so you already now what happened but it's interesting to watch if you are curious and want to see what it looks like to be queen of the United Kingdom.
The main actress is, in my opinion, really amazing. I also like her sister and her husband. She is very good at acting. You can sometimes feel her loneliness and the debate going on in her mind because of her position. She has to do things she wouldn't have done if she was not the head of the state, especially about her sister's attitude.
In the first episode she's not yet the Queen. I like this series because I learned a lot about the British royal family. The story is based on real facts but I'm pretty sure they added some things to make it more appealing and attractive to watch.

Léa Aupetit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Crown (spoiler)

Post by Léa Aupetit on Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:27 am

Lets talk about one of the first episode of the series, the one I was really looking forward to watching: the crowning one.
In this episode Elizabeth and her husband have some trouble. They don't get along well. In order to make him feel important and happy, the queen decides to let Philip control the ceremony. The story tells he's the one who decide to make the ceremony a television event so as to modernize the crown. So he's one of the people who helped the Royal family to become modern and really appreciated.
Another character will be extremely important in this processus too. He appears in the season 2 in the episode 5 entitled 'puppet'. Jaguar, an English lord will strongly criticized the monarchy through his own newspaper (he was a chief editor) but also in a TV show watched by almost everybody in England. Finally, the queen will ask him during a private interview what he thinks of royalty. He will share with her these recommendations, which she will take into account in order to gain popularity among the English.

Léa Aupetit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Léa Aupetit on Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:42 pm

At the beginning of season 2, Philip leaves for a tour in the Indian and Pacific ocean as a royal representator. He has to open the ceremony of the Olympic game in Melbourne.
The relationship between them is really complicated at this point. They know they won’t see each other for 5 month. They have to find a solution but they know they can’t divorce because it is against the royalty’s rules. I found the queen very endearing in these episodes. As her husband moved away from her, she feels very lonely.
The Prince’s best friend is also navigating with him. The episode shows that they are seeing other women in every harbours they berth in. The fidelity problem of Philip won’t be solved until the end of the series in the final episode. The Queen won’t have the strenght to talk about this with him before.
During the same time, we follow the story of Philip’s best friend and his wife. When she hear about the infidelity of her husband she gets in touch with a lawyer to ask him about divorce’s law. Unfortunately for her, her husband having an affair « is not a good reason to divorce ». But it’s also a problem for the crown because if it’s revealed it will be a huge scandal for the royal family.

Léa Aupetit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Léa Aupetit on Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:43 pm

At the end of some episodes (especially in season 2) we discover an explanation as well as pictures that show that the facts from the episodes are true. I like the historical part of this series. This allows us to learn more about the British's History.
More precisely, in the episodes 6, we discover that the former king who abdicated, the queen's uncle, did so because he had to. Advisors of the crown forced him to. In fact, he wanted to live with another woman, not recognized by the crown.
But during the episode the Queen learned that her uncle had made a pact with Hitler to overthrow power in England but also to let the nazi bombing London. With this pact he also allowed Hitler to invade France and because of him thousands of English soldiers died. In exchange, Hitler would have help him become king again. So, he betrayed his brother (the actual King), but also his country. As the queen couldn't let this information escape (it would have been a massive problem for the government and the royal family if people had learned that former King Edward VIII was a traitor) she decided to banish and deny him the right to work again in this country.

Léa Aupetit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:39 pm

My wife really likes this series.
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Léa Aupetit on Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:51 pm

She has great tastes! She'll be happy to know that there will be a season 3 (which is yet not available on Netflix Evil or Very Mad)

Léa Aupetit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Léa Aupetit on Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:00 pm

In this week episode's, the American presidential couple is due to come to England after a diplomatic tour in Europe. The queen, the same age as Jackie Kennedy, is going through a difficult period (she's beginning to feel old like everybody...). Everyone only has eyes for the first lady and keeps repeating that she is the most beautiful and intelligent woman on earth. And of course, the queen takes it for herself and feels bad.
Later at a reception the royals organized, the queen and first lady decided to do a tour in Buckingham palace and stayed alone for a moment. And contrary to what the queen was thinking, Jackie told the Queen she was not the happy woman she let appear. She did not like being in the spotlight and was very shy by nature. She felt lonely also because of her husband and was not pleased to be at this position. They discovered they had more in common than the queen imagined. They both had a sister who was made to be a regent or a political person unlike them.
When leaving the reception she and Jackie were friends. But just the day after, Elizabeth discovered a terrible news on TV, the shooting of the president Kennedy, but at the end of the episode we witness the announce of the President's death.

Léa Aupetit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Léa Aupetit on Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:16 pm

That was the eighth episode of season 2 (sorry I forgot to mention it...).

The ninth was about Charles's childhood in the same school his father went, but which was very difficult for him especially because of his status as the future king. It was also difficult for Philip but turned out to be a good and meaningful experience for him. When you are watching you feel bad for little Charles to be send in this school he didn't want to go to (the Queen disapproved this choice too). But at the end you learn that it is the same school in Scotland Harry and William went when they were young. Apparently it also seem to be a better experience for Charles when he became older.

The final episodes of season 2 was not the best one for me so I won't talk about it, but finally the Queen and Philip talked about his infidelity and they found a "solution" to live with it. At the beginning I thought it was the final of the series so I was a little bit disappointed but I learned there will be a season 3 and even a season 4.

The third season will focus on the evolution of the Windsor couple, again on the relationship between the Duke of Edinburgh and his wife. We will see Princess Margaret's divorce with Antony Armstrong-Jones. We will also discover the meeting of Prince Charles and Diana.

Léa Aupetit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Léa Aupetit on Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:39 am

To stay in the royal theme after finishing the Crown (and because season 3 is still not available) I decided to begin Reign (thank you Netflix to propose me a serie with 4 seasons of 24 episodes I will watched within a month, maybe two because I also have to work in order to get my diploma of course).
This time we are in France at the court of Henri and Catherine de Medici. We follow the story of Mary, queen of Scots. She has to wed Francois (named Francis in English, I absolutely don’t understand why because it’s the only name they changed, and it’s quite an important one since he’ll be the King of France).
Unlike The Crown, I'm pretty sure it's a series that's not totally based on real facts, apart from the great wars and the main characters. There are far too many details and stories of all kinds for it to be based on real facts from the 16th century.

I like this series and because I began to watch it, I can’t stop now but I wouldn’t recommend it except if you are looking for something REALLY EASY to watch. In my opinion, it’s not made well enought. It could be a great idea to create a new series but the story is narrated to easily. They found solution too easily and everything ends well everytime. We need more suspens and plotting. I want to be involved totally in the story and it’s not something they achieve to do. But i’ll still speak about this series next week, the week after, the other week after… until I don’t have anything to say.

Léa Aupetit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Léa Aupetit on Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:28 am

Saison 1 begins with the murder of a nun in a convent where mary is waiting to be in age to wed Francis, the first born of the King Henri. This season is based on when the wedding between Mary and Francis will happen. He wants to wait but she needs this alliance to make her country safer. She is the Queen of Scotland but her mom is the one in charge of governance because Mary is at French court.
During these season many adventures happend. The order of succession changes twice. And at the end the leprosy that is ravaging France (they loose around 40% of the population).

Léa Aupetit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Léa Aupetit on Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:44 pm

Season 2 is about Religious warfare between Protestants and Catholics and the place of women during the Middle Ages.
The characters in the series: they are strong women who try to be respected. Even the Queen but also because of her position, she suffers from inequalities.
There are often comparisons between the rights of women and men. Even if this happens 600 years ago, what they say is still relevant. In severals episodes will follow some women and their combat to obtain power.
It’s a problem/question still interesting and even if it’s not the same time. Not all inequalities are restored yet.

Léa Aupetit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down