THE BEST TV SHOW (ornot) - Doctor Who

Go down

THE BEST TV SHOW (ornot) - Doctor Who

Post by Emeline Giffard on Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:04 pm

Greetings, ladies and gentlemen and others !

Now is my turn to begin my weekly review of a tv show of my choice. To do so, i choose to talk about a British show that i reaaaaaaaaaally like, and that i watch since i'm a kid (i sound so old, that's depressing) : Doctor Who (big surprise isn't it ?)

Y'all have surely already heard about Doctor Who at one point, its a famous sci-fi tv show (and one of the oldest) broadcasted (broadcast ?) by the BBC. Jokes aside, a lot of people like the show, but a lot dislike it too. Being a si-fi show (which is already a bad point for a lot of people), Doctor Who is a show that can be quite...weird. Complicate and weird. And quite cheap too. As i am a long-time fan of sci-fi in general, having growing up with a lot of sci-fi shows and movies such as Star Wars for example, i immediately liked the show back when i first started to watch it because it WAS weird.

Back to the show, Doctor Who relates the adventure of the Doctor (just The Doctor, a running gag in the series is that everyone asks him for his name, "Doctor Who ?" hence the name of the show), a member of a extraterrestrial race called "Time Lords", powerful human-like beings who can travel through space and time using special devices. The Doctor travels with various human companions (often young british women) in the TARDIS, a spaceship with the shape of a small blue police box which can travel through time and space. Already pretty weird right ?

Another particularity of the Time Lords is that they never truly die : when confronted with death, their entire body (cells included) regenerate completely and they start "anew" : they change their bodies. The doctor can also do that, which is why the show is still being brodcasted nowadays : they simply change the main actor of the main character ( a bit like James Bond). To this day, there has been twelve incarnations of the Doctor (so twelve different actors). The Doctor is still the same character, but his appaerance and some aspects of his personality changes with every actors.

Currently, there are ten seasons. I started watching season ten just yesterday because i watched other tv shows before wacthing the latest season, so good timing with this weekly review hihi. I'll put my review of episode 1 and 2 under spoiler, because well its season ten.

DISCLAIMER : i won't spoil too much because what you will find is only my summary of the episodes. So i won't tell you everything that happens in each episode it would be too long (sorry i'm a busy lady).

Spoiler:
EPISODE 1 :
It was a funny episode to watch. It was basically a parody of superheroes movies, specifically of Superman movies. The episode starts with a young boy, Grant, spleeping in his room. He soon finds the Doctor at his window, hanged by his feet. Explaining that he was setting a trap on the roof of the building but got trapped himself, the Doctor has the young boy open the window. After a brief discussion, the Doctor takes Grant to see the device that he was building (he set a trap to prevent anyone from destroying the device, but it backfired). While Grant told the Doctor that he was sick, the latter started to explain to him what was the use of the device, and soon gave to the young boy a gemstone ( which could turn the device on) and a glass of water (probably to calm his cough). Buut, the kid mistook the gemstone for a medicine, and swallowed it, which gave him superpowers ! (the gemstone could apparently grant the wishes : as Grant was a huge comic-books fan, he got superpowers).
24 years later, the Doctor returns to investigate a weird company and finds Grant again, using his superpowers unde the alias of "the Ghost". Warning Grant that he shouldn't use his superpowers because they are not from this world, he discovers that Grant is going undercover as the nanny of the baby of one his childhood friend and longtime crush, Lucy, who happens to be a reporter investigating the same company as the Doctor. Grant and Lucy basically have the same dynamics as Clark Kent and Lois Lane. After investigations, they discover that the company is ruled by alien brains that want to conquer Earth (yes you read that correctly, told ya it was a weird show). They manage to get rid of the threat.

EPISODE 2 :
This episode is the introduction of a new companion to the current Doctor of this season, Bill Potts. The Doctor became a lecturer at a University where he meets Bill (working at the canteen serving chips). She couldn't become a student, so the Doctor starts to tutor her. After a while, she met a girl named Heather, for who she developed a crush. Heather talk to her about a weird puddle near a construction field. When Heather mysteriously disapears, Bill informs the Doctor about the weird puddle. As she said, the puddle reflected her face,  but something was off with the reflection, even though she couldn't point what. Interrested, the Doctor starts to investigate. He soons finds that the reflection of the puddle is perfect : usually, one's face is asymetrical, or flawed, but the reflection would correct that. The Doctor theorises that the puddle is not reflecting, but copying, suggesting that it is alive. Bill then starts to get followed by Heather, however the girl has been swallowed by the puddle, and is no longer human. The puddle was in fact oil from a spaceship, a very specific oil that has its own consciousness. It took possesion of Heather, recognizing the girl as its "Pilot" (because of Heather's wish to leave). It tried to take Bill too, because of a promise the girls had made. Bill released Heather from the promise, which made the oil stop from following her everywhere. Wanting to save her friend, Bill asked the Doctor to take her with him to travel.  I liked this episode, Bill seems to be an interesting companion to watch.

Aaaand this conclude my review, have a great night !  bounce  bounce  bounce  bounce  bounce  bounce  bounce  bounce  bounce
Emeline Giffard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: THE BEST TV SHOW (ornot) - Doctor Who

Post by Admin on Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:40 am

It was my favourite show as a child in the 60's and 70's. I've never seen an episode from the "new Dr. Who" seasons though.
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Emeline Giffard on Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:20 pm

@Admin Oh that's great ! Well, i've never seen an episode from the old series either, but i will definetely give it a try one day ! It may be interesting bounce

Here's my review of the next two episodes of season 10 :

Spoiler:

EPISODE 2 - SMILE

So Bill and the Doctor are now travelling together. The Time Lord asks Bill where, or rather when, she would like to go : past or future ? Without an once of hesitation, Bill replies that she wants to travel to the future. The TARDIS lands on a distant planet in the future, where the Doctor and Bill find a futuristic city. The Doctor explains to Bill that this planet is a human colony planet, but as they enter the city, they are welcomed not by humans, but robots. These robots do not communicate with words, but use emojis (yes emojis). The Doctor and Bill are given small badges by these robots (called the Emojibots), that immedialety went to their backs when they tried to place it. These badges can track their emotions : if a smile appears on their back, their happy, if they are sad, the badge will cry ect...However, the Doctor starts to wonder where could be the human colonists....
This episode was good, i like the dynamics between the Twelfth Doctor and Bill. They are an interesting duo i think. The story wasn't that great however, highly predictable (even though i really liked the emojibots !)

EPISODE 3 : THIN ICE

Following their adventure with the first human colony, The Doctor and Bill arrive in London, but in the past, during the Last Frost Fair. Bill starts to wonder about the Butterfly effect : could she erases herself from Time just by doing the smallest action in the past ? She also expresses concerns about the fact that they landed on a Time when slavery was still legal. Visiting the Frost Fair, the Doctor and Bill start to witness strange events. While chasing a little boy who steal the Doctor's screwdriver, they end up witnessing his death while he is taken away by mysterious green lights coming from underneath the ice.
This episode was very interesting for its character developpement : indeed, throughout this episode Bill starts to question the Doctor's morality, and his past. She starts to realize that he is much more than just a weird man travelling in a blue box. And this was really interesting, even though she doesn't hesitate long before accepting to follow the Doctor again. There seems to be some kind of mystery surrounding the Doctor and a mission he was given by someone : he has to stay on Earth to guard a vault. What's inside the vault has yet to be revealed, however it seemed to be a person : Could it be Missy ?

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool
Emeline Giffard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Emeline Giffard on Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:25 pm

Hiiiii, me again, here for the quick reviews Razz As i watched a lot of episodes since last time i posted a message here, i'm going to talk about all the episodes i watched :

Spoiler:

EPISODE 4 : KNOCK KNOCK

This episode was made to follow the many codes of horror movies. Bill ends up in a colocation with six young people she barely knows, in a very old mansion of which they previously met the landowner by coincidence after many failed visits. The Doctor helps her to move in, but is quick to notice that something is wrong with the old mansion and its landowner....
This episode was okay. I really liked the final twist of the episode, and it was basically a really interesting episode to watch.

EPISODE 5 : OXYGEN

Now this episode was really cool ! The Doctor, Bill and Nardole (an other companion of the Doctor, who is also an alien) end up on a space station (The Doctor makes a reference to Star Trek at the beginning of the episode), where the majority of the astronauts have been turned as zombies...by their own space suits. Only four of them have survived.
This episode critized capitalism (which is ironic coming from a British show hehe) : indeed, in this episode, the Doctor and his friends end up in a bad situation because oxygen has a price : to survive, they have to wear the space suits (risking their lives in the process) and they have a limited number of breaths (the space station is runned by a corporation that pays for the oxygen on board, so employees are limited).
At the end of this episode, the Doctor, because he saved Bill from a certain danger, becomes blind. Which will become a important thing in future episodes.

EPISODE 6 : EXTREMIS

I couldn't stop watching the show after this episode haha. This episode is the first part of a two-part episode. And it escalated quickly haha, i wasn't expecting that.
So we finally find out who is trapped inside the vault the Doctor was tasked with guarding...And i was right, it was Missy. Throughout the episode, we see flashbacks (from the Doctor's memory) which explain why Missy ended up in this vault.
The Doctor, now blind, is contacted by none other that the Pope himself to solve a thorny issue : The Vatican is trying to translate a very old text (even older than the Church itself) entitled "Extremis", but each translator that they have hired to translate have committed suicide after finishing the translation. It is up to the Doctor to translate, but he is now blind....
This episode introduced a new dangerous species : the Monk. They want to conquer Earth, and they spent thousand of years to study and anticipate human actions.

This will be everything for today. See ya next time Surprised
Emeline Giffard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:42 pm

Should I know the person in your avatar?
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down