Post by Marion.LM on Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:19 am

Topic of the week !!! bounce

Marion.LM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Olympic Games and its usefulness - M2 PACK -

Post by Marion.LM on Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:56 am

Hi !!!!
I will introduce this topic with a very negative vision…..

For me Olympic Games is an aberration in our society...When I see people who has no money to eat, have no house or can access to the education….and on the other way I see people who spend millions and millions in sports infrastructures… I think to the Brazil for the Olympic Games…
Dreadful spectacle (medias speak about a human desaster : en fact the sports infrastructure installation destroy lots of housings)….I can charge the pictures to show you….

In this negative approche, I will speak about Cesar… (I know, I know,.....old man) and the « Panem et circenses », "Some bread and games and the common will be happy" (The famous "Bread and circuses"). In Astérix, this expression is associated with Cesar and the manner to consider his common….in a pejorative way… (This phrase originates from Rome in Satire X of the Roman satirical poet Juvénal …)
In this way, common could eat and divert himself...for a social pace….this strategy permit to put people not including in the politic game, and avoid revolt from the population....For me, The Olympic Games is the perfect illustration of this….

Marion.LM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Clémence Giraud on Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:55 pm

Hi Marion,
I do practice o lot of sport (or I used to aha) and some of my friend have participate in 2016 so I am very attached to watch everytime the OG, and I do love the atmosphere during that competition, I think it reunite our country for some time.
However I agree with you it is very expensive and no very ecological.
I've recently read an article, it said that most of people today don't want the OG in their country, they are more and more reticant. Even Budapest has canceled it's candidature because of a citizen's petition.
They also explain in the article that Anne Hidalgo want to proove with Paris 2024 that Ecological OG can exist. In order to do that she said that she will give the priority to existent infrastructures to recuce the organisation cost and that 93% of the competition sites planned in the project are already existant or they will be temporary.
Clémence Giraud

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lea GRELLIER on Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:28 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm agree with you girls on the fact that the Olympics are very expensive for the countries that wish to organize them and that is not absolutely a priority of expense.

But there is still a good side to the Olympics Games. Indeed, this is a period where we can watch sports that are not usually broadcast on television. We are too used to seeing football and very few other sports. In addition, some athletes work day and night to obtain a medal and recognition of their country. They are proud to be able to get on the podium. And I'm happy for them.

In addition, after doing my "TPE" (our baccalaureate research file), I could see that, besides the games, there was a lot of political sign. Indeed, the Olympic Games can be a showcase for countries wishing to show their superiority or, on the contrary, for a minority of those who have expressed their dissatisfaction with power. By making a big shortcut, we can talk for a long time about Munich games in 1972, or athletes who raised their points on the podium at the 1968 Olympics in Mexico City. There are so many examples that show that even today politics is far too influential in what should be a "simply" sporting event.

Lea GRELLIER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Eudes de Geyer d'Orth on Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:44 pm

Hi everyone,

I like to watch the olympic games every 4 years, it's a great competition and we can see a lot of sports. i think it's cool to have the posibility to watch sport that you don't know and it let you discover a huge part of the sport dimension.
But i don't really like the obligation that has the country to organize the olympic games.
Stadium, apartment, gymnasium have to be build ; countries spend millions of euros to do that, change the architecture of their city only for the olympic and to show a good image of their country. But it's always an ecological disaster and after the competition the building, stadium or gymnasium are abandoned. Just look at athens or Rio, all of the olympic building are destroyed or abandoned and the ecological problem are really important just because of this competion.

I hope that Paris 2024 their promises, respect the environement, and don't build building that gonna be abandon 1 year after..
Eudes de Geyer d'Orth

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marion.LM on Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:21 pm

Clémence Giraud wrote:Hi Marion,
I do practice o lot of sport (or I used to aha) and some of my friend have participate in 2016 so I am very attached to watch everytime the OG, and I do love the atmosphere during that competition, I think it reunite our country for some time.
However I agree with you it is very expensive and no very ecological.
I've recently read an article, it said that most of people today don't want the OG in their country, they are more and more reticant. Even Budapest has canceled it's candidature because of a citizen's petition.
They also explain in the article that Anne Hidalgo want to proove with Paris 2024 that Ecological OG can exist. In order to do that she said that she will give the priority to existent infrastructures to recuce the organisation cost and that 93% of the competition sites planned in the project are already existant or they will be temporary.

Hi Clémence !!!
You underline (like Léa and Eudes) a very important point that I have forgotten in my previous post : the atmosphere in OG and the pleasure to participate and to succeed for sport players.... Personally, I play very few sport (I am very bad in sport, aha !). I am not "Against" Olympic Games...but like I said I am very sad when I see the Brazil case (and other)...However, I heard the other day on France Inter that a man proposed to restrain the Olympic Games at 2 maybe 3 cities (in the goal to reduce infrastructures cost...) The first city will be Athènes (because of the Olympic Games history) and the two other will be determined in second time. I think it could be a good approach Very Happy

Marion.LM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gendry Marceline on Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:15 pm

Hi !

I agree with you, the countries spend millions of euros to organize the Olympic Games, and the architecture of the Olympic villages, and that later these infrastructures are abandoned. And that is very destsrous for the ecology.
But, I also like to watch the Olympics Games. These games engender a enthousiasm from people around the world. Countries compete against in sporting events and this federates the populations. The Olympics games make it possible to make countries spread out beyond their economic power, thanks to their teams and international media coverage.
Gendry Marceline

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:25 am

why is it difficult for the countries to re-use the same village for normal people after the event?

Surely there must be a great demand in Paris for example for small flats linked to communal areas , so the government could build a nice village for the athletes (with all the wonderful security measures in place) and then sell them to young singles/couples who want to live in the latest trendy areas.
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Florine VIAUD on Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:28 pm

Hi,

I do agree with you on the atmosphere of the Olympic Games, I love this period while you can follow various sport at the same time as all people around the world ; staying awake a part of the night to watch games happening in country far away form yours. I really love OG but I have a little preference for the winter OG. I think it's a nice way to gather people from many countries around sports, even if you do not practice those sports.
As Lea, I did my TPE on the Olympic Games and its political and economic issues, and it was very interesting to see how this event could be use for several causes over time. Also, it shows that OG have not only good sides, despite the original purpose of the event. Now it's getting more and more economic and it's about having the best and biggest stadium to show other countries the strengths of the homecoming country. And, with the media we have today, we can know what is the real cost of the OG : like in Russia for the Sochi OG in 2014, they expelled people from their home, destroyed the buildings to build other ones in order to create building to welcome the athletes for a few weeks..
Finally, even if the OG have bad sides, I will still continue to watch and follow them just because of the OG spirit (I really do like it, and it's maybe more because of the habit I have with it, since I am a little girl, every 2 years I watch the Olympic Games with my dad and my brother) and for the beauty of the sport (so cliché I know, sorry).

Florine VIAUD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Melody Gazengel on Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:49 pm

I understand Marion's bias regarding the Olympics. Indeed, we can speak of "financial abyss". Cities spend huge sums to be able to host the Olympics. It is necessary to create swimming pools, gymnasiums, housing ... it is an exceptional event which accomodates a lot of people and the cities are not enough equipped.

Not only do the cities spend billions of euros, but they also exceed the budget, which creates debts in the host country. With a project of this magnitude if there is an unforeseen event, the organizer must make an additional expense to answer it, everything must be ready on the day. Often the extra costs come in the last six months before the event of the project as for example for Brazil and Greece.

John asks, "Why are not these infrastructures reused?"

It's not so simple, you have to find a manager who is willing to invest money to take over the infrastructure. As for example, "La métropôle du Grand Paris" or "La Plaine Commune" which should take their part in the operation of this equipment.

Paris wants to be a forerunner in this project, by rehabilitating all the places that will be created in the image of games. The major challenge of the Olympic Games in Paris 2024 will be to give a second life to housing, sports centers built for the occasion as well as transport networks put into service by then. Among the places to be built, many are destined to be reused by the French. For example, the Aquatic Center that will host the swimming competitions in St Denis. It must serve at associations, schools ... Here it is the French Swimming Federation that undertakes to take over the center.

The idea of Paris with a projected budget of 6 billion euros is to create an Olympic Village "recyclable, reusable, modular". Paris sees the opportunity to have good media impact, it is an opportunity to promote the country, the collective well-being, the national pride. (It's a bit stupid when you see what is happening in our country now ... what should foreigners think?). It can be an opportunity to improve our image after ransacking the most beautiful avenue in the world.  Shocked

The games also promote the economy and employment, it is estimated that the Games will generate between 120,000 (pessimistic scenario) and 250,000 (optimistic scenario) permanent jobs, starting today and until 2034. So 6000 jobs per year, certainly this figure is a drop of water but it is always positive. This concerns in particular the construction industry with buildings, consulting firms and event agencies.

Let's hope that this project can take shape unlike the Rio Olympics, which marked me with the images that appeared a few months later (the swimming-pool) or the thousands of stray dogs and cats slaughtered in Russia to host the 2018 World Cup ...

>> https://www.courrierinternational.com/article/reportage-en-russie-des-milliers-de-chiens-abattus-pour-accueillir-la-coupe-du-monde-2018

Melody Gazengel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Laure PIQUEREAU on Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:34 am

I find this subject surprising. I have never really asked myself the question of the positive or negative impact of the Olympic Games because it is an institution... It existed for many years and i think it will continue to do so.

For me, it costs the host country a lot when it has to "bring itself up to standard" but it also brings it a lot during the games and especially with the tourist contribution.

However, what impressed me was the Olympic Games in Brazil a few years ago. The compliance was really complicated, the work was difficult to complete, and this debt continued at the time of the games. The Zika virus brought by mosquitoes began to develop, tourists did not travel to see the games, it was very complicated and so the debt was not necessarily covered by the tourist flows. And I think it's a real shame that it's not enjoying....

I don't know if that is what you expected from the conversation, but that is the idea that comes to mind.

Laure PIQUEREAU

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Virginie Auclair on Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:25 pm

I think that the Olympic Games are a good concept that allows countries to compete with respect in different events. This allows to put forward a sport other than football or rubgy for example, and therefore to put forward other players. It's an event that allows people to be proud of their country and support them. Games can also have a positive aspect on tourism in the country, but only the time of the games ..
Of course the big negatives of the games are: a huge budget for an event that does not necessarily bring so much money, a disaster for the environment and the abandonment of infrastructure after the games as can be seen in this photo only 6 months after the end of the event.

Virginie Auclair

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sara jouad on Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:47 pm

Hi everyone,
i think that this subject is very complexe and for me i couldn't decide if its a positive ot negative thing that a country hosts the olympic games, thas why i did a little research on this topic and found that like everithing in this world it has it benifits and costs:
Major sports events such as the World Cup and the Olympics are often seen as a potential source of economic regeneration. Yet, many are worried about the economic costs of hosting a major sporting event that only lasts for three weeks. These are some of the economic benefits and potential costs of the Olympics and other major sporting events.

her is an imprtant artical i found: https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/29/sport/costs-and-benefits-of-the-olympics/

for me to avoid what happend in brazil after the olympic games, we should limitate the games in three or four countries who has alredy build the infrastructures for this games to gain a return on investments on it costs.

sara jouad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:01 pm

Is no-one concerned that the "olympic" commitee are a group of private businessmen?
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Justine LORIN on Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:37 pm

Hi everyone !
I really like the olympic games, as some of you have said, it's a good opportunity to watch sport that are not often diffused on TV. For example I was practicing kayak a lot and the OG is almost the only way to watch a kayak competition on TV ! And I am happy France will organize them in 2024, cause I would really like to go there to watch a competition. But of course I agree too concerning the huge cost, and also the human problems, like when they ejected people from their house in Brazil. This is not normal, and we don't need to do that to organize the OG. This is the responsability of the countries to be respectful with people.
Then another point some of you have talked about, is the ecological result, with a lot of abandoned infrastructures. Sure the best would be to reuse them after, but as Melody has said it's not easy.
For the OG in London in 2012, they build a "reusable" swimming pool, they can take it to pieces and transport it to another place. The swimming pool was used in Brazil in 2016. I think this is a very good idea that we can take for some infrastructures that may not be reused in the place of the OG. To take again the kayak as an example, it costs a lot to create the slalom route for the competition, and at the end it's not reused a lot. By creating artificial slalom with plastic (it already exists, but it's not movable), it would cost less and be more ecological.

Justine LORIN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mégane on Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:02 pm

Hello !

I don't watch the olympic games but I like the sports and watch rudby match on TV.
Why the reuse of village and the infrastructures are so difficult ? ...really strange to don't think about an other organisation I think (even if its historical, things bad can be change in the time).
So for me is not a big deal to find an other organisation to be more responsible ...that is not a real problem because we just created directly by our-self.
Sometimes humans are not logical.
So I hope we will create this sport event with the creative thinking to improve !!
Mégane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down