UP English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Banned adverts online discussion for anyone in M2 who wants to

+5
Caroline Lemoigne
Amelie Trarieux
Clothilde Pluchart
Chloé Gailledrat
Admin
9 posters

Go down

Banned adverts online discussion for anyone in M2 who wants to Empty Banned adverts online discussion for anyone in M2 who wants to

Post by Admin Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:37 pm

Below are three ads that have been banned by the advertising agency in Britain this summer. Watch them. Why do you think they were banned? The article at the bottom of the page gives the reasons. What are your feelings about these bans?

Deliveroo

VW

Philadelphia cheese

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49332640

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-49656761
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Banned adverts online discussion for anyone in M2 who wants to Empty Re: Banned adverts online discussion for anyone in M2 who wants to

Post by Chloé Gailledrat Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:43 pm

Hello !
Whaou, it's interesting because in my opinion theses ads are good and effective, the message is clear and they are not most different than ads we use to see on TV. Reading the BBC articles, I thinks they overreacted. I didn't find the women in the Volkswagen ads was stereotyped, neither the two dads in the Philadelphia ads. On contrary, I find the Philadelphia Ads is good because we don't see women as moms for once but men in their roles of dads and that they can make mistake like everyone else (in this case by being distracted because of Philadelphia). For the Deliveroo's one, I can understand because Brands have to be clear in their communication and the ads could be bad interpreted and create frustration if the customer want to use the app in a zone where he can't be delivered.
That's all for me, see you soon !
Chloé Gailledrat
Chloé Gailledrat

Back to top Go down

Banned adverts online discussion for anyone in M2 who wants to Empty Re: Banned adverts online discussion for anyone in M2 who wants to

Post by Admin Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:55 pm

Ah Chloé, such a wonderful student. First to answer and make my life worthwhile. Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Clothilde Pluchart Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:06 pm

Hi everyone,

Thanks John is very interesting subject.

For Delivroo, I agree with Chloé because for the moment it's impossible to have delivroo every where. For example, in Angouleme we don't have many service about delivry until in your house.

For VW, I didn't see immediatly the stereotypes with the gender but after read the article I see an other time and I saw the stereoptypes. The woman have just the tasks of the house or must be careful for childrens. However, the men can be what ever you want sush as astronaut, sport men and even drive VW. It's unfair. Crying or Very sad

For Philadelphia, I like this humor and for me it's not real problem. I think the society it's not open and maybe to have the advertising with men parents responsabilities first and after play with humor on this subject. And also I think because I like the food more than the baby for the moment.

Thanks for your attention and sorry for my english I try to be better and I think there are still mistakes.

Good Week-end Very Happy
Clothilde Pluchart
Clothilde Pluchart

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelie Trarieux Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:06 pm

Hi there,
For the Deliveroo's ad I agree with Chloe that it can be misleading. The ad was great in term of pure esthetic. Very dynamic and funny but indeed not matching reality. We would expect for a brand way more developed (such as McDonald's) to have this type of commercial and not one as Deliveroo which is still quite young and DEFINITELY NOT available everywhere!
Concerning the VW commercial, it didn't strike me at first but now I get it. I think that as we could hear in the interview a compilation of ad were men are in a position of adventure and women staying at home can be harmful to many young people out there and carry on an example we don't want to see anymore.
But at first I saw A COUPLE being brave and sleeping on the cliff of a mountain, just two arms for the scene with the laundry and the sandwich making, but yes, there should have been at least one woman as an astronaut and I think that the commercial would have been accepted.

Finally, for Philadelphia, I think that this campaign could have been a success but not today and not now. We need to see more men in a care-giver position before we can put them in this kind of funny situation.

I do find this new UK registration very good and hopefully will lead to a similar decision towards other countries!
Amelie Trarieux
Amelie Trarieux

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Lemoigne Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:15 pm

Hi,

Interesting ads!

I didn't understand at first for Deliveroo's ad because for me it was well presented and funny (as Amélie wrote) but then i read the article so i understood why it has been banned by the advertising agency. They promote a full territory delivery while it is not the case. So this is clearly a false advertising and it's punishable by the law, quite understandable!

Once again, VW ad is well done as well. I can't get at first the reason why it has been banned but if we look at it more carefully a second time we can see, as Amelie wrote (again), that women are confined to domestic tasks (as often in ads and people minds) while men can explore the world and go on an adventure. This is a point they should change in advertising sector.

Concerning the last one, Philadelphia ad, it was a good initiative to put men with their children but in this case, with this "accident", it stereotype the fact that women are better caring for their children than men and that all the men are kind of "tête en l'air" or not caring perfectly their children while some men are doing very well with their children (did i lost you in my explanation ? ahah I hope not).

So these ads show that some way of thoughts or living are anchored (like gender stereotyping) but try to evolve and that the message convey by ads are monitored by responsible authorities to avoid misleading advertising and others.

Have a nice week end!

Caroline Lemoigne

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordan Besson Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:48 pm

Hi everyone, it’s feels good to come back to talk here. Mainly, it’s to talk about interesting ads.
I watched the three videos and I didn’t find directly the gender stereotypes references. It’s probably my consumer point of view. Indeed, if we are really careful, we can see different gender stereotypes.

Firstly, Deliveroo’s ads. If we replicate this ads in France, we are going to have the same problem. It’s impossible to have food proximity services everywhere. Rural area are hard to deliver. So, brands use lies to convince people to download the app. I am completely agree with the girls : it’s not a good option for Deliveroo for having this ads.

Secondly, Philadelphia’s ads. This ads is funny. According to me it’s not a problem to see two guys forgetting their children. It’s a good sense of humor. The brand try to convince future consumers that eating fresh cheese it’s a kind of escape.

And the last ads is Volkswagen’s ads. We all know, car brands have nothing to say. That’s why they are making storytelling. This ads is completely useless. I would have liked to see different images about climat change… It’s less fun but it’s more forceful.

Thanks to this exercice because it’s help me to practice my english.

That’s all folks and have a good weekend.
Jordan Besson
Jordan Besson

Birthday : 1997-06-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Victor Chevalier Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:48 am

After viewing the 3 ads and reading the articles. I understand why the ads are banned.
For the delivero ads, for me, i didn't like the ad in french, it's same for the uk ad. It is true the ad exagerrated for the locations possible.
For the VW ad, i think the image they choose is bad to talk about a electric engine. they show a woman make houseworks and the men in space headquarter. For me it's more interresting to show the particularities of the engine.
And the Philadelphia cheese ad, it's not very bad, it is funny, but the image of men who didn't care about the baby is too often used.
Victor Chevalier
Victor Chevalier

Back to top Go down

Post by Manon Saroul Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:33 pm

Wow, okay, so interesting John, thanks a lot ! Like Chloé, at the departure i didn't get the problem with the VW advertisement and the one for philadelphia. The one for Deliveroo was for me the most explicit because of the presence of a situation that appears to be outlawed or at least related to it. So it is not a big suprise for me to see that this video was banned. However, I am really more surprise about the two other ones. Of course after reading the article about that, reasons of the banned are more clear even though I still think it's exaggerated. A little bit of humour could be great no?

Take care !

Manon Saroul

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:12 pm

I found it interesting that one of the adverts only had 3 referrals to the agency. Does this mean that people are biased without realising it or do you think that the agency is being over sensitive? Is it important that the agency leads the user or should the agency reflect the user?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Léa Aupetit Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:52 am

Hi!

These are good questions John... sometimes I think agency are too sensitives for example with the Philadelphia one. To me it just means that cheese were so good that you could lost your mind but in a funny way. Some ads are silly or absurd and you know it's second degree.

As some people here I didn't see the reason why the golf advertising was banned but it's true that when you realized all the stereotypes it can be chocking. Why don't we notice this king of stuff ? We still have a long way to do in order to reach equality between women and men. Perhaps we have not seen the problem because the society represented is a facet of reality. A reality we want to erase but still...

For example there has never been 100% feminine spacewalk yet. First time it has to be canceled because there were not spacesuit matching their size Shocked Shocked It's sounds so stupid ... Could not they think about this detail before? It is now planned for 21th October (hope this time it's the right one).

Come back to our subject and banned ads.
I'd like to speak with you about the Nana advertising that went out several days ago. I'm part of the people who liked it. Here is the Youtube link if you haven't seen it yet :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyMHNvEkvwU

Please, tell me what you think about it. Smile
Have a nice day

Léa Aupetit

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:19 pm

Léa Aupetit wrote:Hi!

These are good questions John... sometimes I think agency are too sensitives for example with the Philadelphia one. To me it just means that cheese were so good that you could lost your mind but in a funny way. Some ads are silly or absurd and you know it's second degree.

As some people here I didn't see the reason why the golf advertising was banned but it's true that when you realized all the stereotypes it can be chocking. Why don't we notice this king of stuff ? We still have a long way to do in order to reach equality between women and men. Perhaps we have not seen the problem because the society represented is a facet of reality. A reality we want to erase but still...

For example there has never been 100% feminine spacewalk yet. First time it has to be canceled because there were not spacesuit matching their size Shocked Shocked It's sounds so stupid ... Could not they think about this detail before? It is now planned for 21th October (hope this time it's the right one).

Come back to our subject and banned ads.
I'd like to speak with you about the Nana advertising that went out several days ago. I'm part of the people who liked it. Here is the Youtube link if you haven't seen it yet :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyMHNvEkvwU

Please, tell me what you think about it. Smile
Have a nice day

I'm certainly not the target audience for this ad. I don't really like it but then again it's probably to do with my prudish childhood. It seems many of the women's hygiene ads have been moving in this direction recently, my wife doesn't care for them either - especially if one appears whilst she's having an evening snack. Do you think they are targetting more at a younger female population, like yours?

to be consistent I wouldn't like an ad which featured a man's penis either.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Léa Aupetit Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:17 pm

I think they wanted to speak about this subject because it's really tabou and it shouldn't be. Some people (most of them are men) are scared to even hear about it. When you hear someone says that it's disgusting it annoys me a little bit...
I think everybody is concerned about it because it's something that half of the population is concerned about. We need to speak about it IT IS NORMAL and NATURAL.
Maybe the young generation is being more opened about this kind of subject but to my mind it's great that we open our mind Smile

I am not sure but I think penis are sometimes suggested and we're less chocked about it... I don't know scratch But I'd be glad if being on its (?) period would be something people wouldn't be scared to talk about.

Léa Aupetit

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:58 pm

I understand your point of view. My new favourite poster Laughing

However

Going to the loo is also natural but for toilet paper we see little puppies or koala bears (or something) we don't see toilet paper covered in chocolate pretending to be shit.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Léa Aupetit Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:30 pm

Haha it was a really good counter argument...

I'd say that maybe we don't see those kind of advertising because people are educated about poop. Everybody knows what is it and what you have to do (which is not the same for menstruation)... And some people LOVE to talk about this even with other people around (yes people are weird nowadays).

What I like with the Nana ads is that it can help people to talk about it. For example little girls who are afraid to speak about it and being told it's dirty would maybe feel free to talk about it because it won't be as tabou as it used to be.
There is a lot of instagram account using testimony about girls in "embarrassing" situation and I think it's sad because they felt bad for being under their period even it is something natural.

They don't want to show blood especially they just want people to know that it's not some blue fluid coming out your body. There are also disease related to period which we don't talk about even if a lots of women suffer from this. We need to highlight those things in my opinion but not necessarily speak about blood. Maybe some people didn't get the point of the ads that why it seemed too chocking for them... Neutral

Léa Aupetit

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelie Trarieux Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:46 pm

Helloooooo,

Thank you for sharing this ad Léa. I think that it's important to talk about menstruation even with commercials because in opposition to poo, not everybody has their period and it doesn't start from the beginning of our life. Moreover, blood is not dirty in this commercial it's just a very small bit and trust me periods can be wayyyy dirtier
Amelie Trarieux
Amelie Trarieux

Back to top Go down

Post by Léa Aupetit Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:50 am

Thank you Amelie for replying Smile No one seems to be interested in this topic. Does this count as a representation of our society? People don't want to react to a subject like this because they don't think it's something we shouldn't talk about.

Léa Aupetit

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:25 am

Léa Aupetit wrote:Thank you Amelie for replying Smile  No one seems to be interested in this topic. Does this count as a representation of our society? People don't want to react to a subject like this because they don't think it's something we shouldn't talk about.

Maybe it just doesn't interest them (or maybe they are lazy students).

Perhaps this will re-ignite their interest:

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-50124719
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down