UP English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

week 2 discussion topic - Famous Monuments/ Places

+26
TAMANG Andréas
Gaëtan Debien
BEGUE simon
Nathan Raveraud
Hugo Seugnet
Clementrodrigues
margotgregoire
VINIANE Méline
Ribault Geoffrey
Pitat
Océane Martin
Gaël
Fusiller Simon
Gaspard Pouzin
TIRET Cédric
sriffa01
LE GUILLOU--NADER Colleen
Marcuccini Luigi
Sandro Appiotti
Pierre Bonnefont
LéoG
Nicolas Jakow
emma bony
Benjamin BACARIA
Antoine PERAUD
Admin
30 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

week 2 discussion topic - Famous Monuments/ Places Empty week 2 discussion topic - Famous Monuments/ Places

Post by Admin Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:10 am

Talk about a famous place or monument - don't give me the wikipedia page. thanks.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

week 2 discussion topic - Famous Monuments/ Places Empty Re: week 2 discussion topic - Famous Monuments/ Places

Post by Antoine PERAUD Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:15 pm

I can't remember when, but with my parents we went at Venise. So i choose the Saint Marc place for this topic. It's the famous place in Venise.
In this place we can see first the grand canal, with it's gondolas. There is also the Saint Marc's basilic and two columns called piazzetta's columns. On the top of them they are two statues which represents for the first Saint Theodore, slaying a dragon and on the other a Lion with wings wich is the symbol of the city (Venise).
There is also the Campanil with is famous tower.

I remember that we walked on this place and i began to run near from the grand canal. I slipped in the mud of the port in front of everyone and was super dirty. So my parents bought me another t-shirt wich represented Venise.

Antoine PERAUD

Back to top Go down

week 2 discussion topic - Famous Monuments/ Places Empty Re: week 2 discussion topic - Famous Monuments/ Places

Post by Benjamin BACARIA Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:52 pm

3 years ago we went to Italy with my class. After the 18 unbearable bus hours we arrived in Rome to visit the Coliseum. Even if it is in a bad condition it is an impressive monument
and especially full of history. More than 6 millions people every yeras. It was a theater of the Roman Empire Most often, Romans entertained themselves in front of: Gladiator fights, Hunting wild animals, execution of death row prisoners. This building released such a force that one can not imagine at the time the anbiance of this arena.
It was a very great experience because i love history and a guide followed us to bring us some enriching information for our culture.
I obviously took pictures but best memories are in my mind.

Benjamin BACARIA

Back to top Go down

Post by emma bony Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:36 pm

In 2016, I visited with my parents and my brother the medieval city of Carcassone listed as a UNESCO heritage site. We could see a castle and a basilica.
Since we went on holiday each year, we visited the arena of Nimes, a very famous Roman amphitheater.
I remember that the guide had told us that this place is currently hosting bullfights and races Camargue.
My brother being a mineral enthusiast, rocks ect we went to Auvergne where we climbed the chain of volcanoes, the Sancy and puy of the cow, the places to see if you go there. At Clermont Ferrand we were able to observe the cathedral and to contemplate the very famous statue of Vercingetorix on the Jaude square. This statue was made in 1903 by the sculptor Auguste Bartholdi who is notably known for the Statue of Liberty.
I also had the chance to go to Normandy, where we went for a walk in the Mont Saint Michel, and traveled to the American military cemetery of Coleville and the beaches of Omaha Beach which are five in number or had taken place the landing in June 1944.

emma bony

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicolas Jakow Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:44 pm

I don't remenber when exactly but when I was young, I went to London with my family, I saw a lot of famous things like Big Bean, London eyes and the Buckingham Palace… I also visited the museum of Star Wars and it was really amazing because i'm a big fan of the saga, even if the last movies ( episode 7, 8 and very probably the 9) are a piece of shit ! I saw a lot of spaceships, clones and many heroes of the saga ! And also, I hope I will go at the museum of Harry Potter very soon, i'm a big fan too!

Nicolas Jakow

Back to top Go down

Post by LéoG Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:03 pm

The monument that I chose is one of the 7 wonders of the world: it is the wall of China, of its origin Chángchéng, which means "the long wall". It is named like that because it is 21196.18km in length. Basically, it was military fortifications built by the Chinese, to protect the northern border of China. Its construction began between -221 and -206, but was interrupted because China was too powerful and no longer needed to defend itself. It was resumed in the 18th century to prevent Turks and Mongols from invading the country. Since then, it has kept its current form without modifications. This wall can't be seen from space because it is not wider than a highway. It is famous for being a "cemetery"; more than 10 million workers died during its construction, and were buried not far from it. The Great Wall of China has its place in the 7 wonders of the world.

LéoG

Back to top Go down

Post by Pierre Bonnefont Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:02 pm

One of my favorite monuments is the castle of La Rochefoucauld, not because I live near it but because it is one of the most beautiful castles in France.
The castle and its park were classified as a historical monument in 1955.
The castle is perceptible from all parts of the city because it is located on a rock overlooking the city.
The interior is less impressive than the exterior but you can still visit it.

Pierre Bonnefont

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandro Appiotti Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:31 pm

All the years I have the chance to visit my family in one of the beautifulest city of the world... MARSEILLE.
In this city there is a lot of historics monuments: "notre dame de la garde", "le vieux port", "le mucem" ... But in my opinion, one of these monuments is more important, because once for txo week he is living in the centre of the city and the major pat of the population is around. I want to talk about the best football stadium of the Country, and in the top 5 of europe. The Orange Velodrome, was born in 1937, today after 4 extensions there is a capacity of 67 394 people, the record is 65 252, I was in the stadium...
It's a fantastic place with an incredible atmosphere, if you travel in south east of France you have to visit this temple of sport spirit !

Sandro Appiotti

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcuccini Luigi Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:50 pm

When i was sixteen, i got the chance to visit New York, it was a travel organizated by the school. We saw a lot of famous places and monuments, like the statue of Liberty who made us feel so small ! We also visited Central Park, an amazing place ! Everything was so clean, i was more than glad, but over the moon. However, the monument that i was the most excited to see was the Trump Tower, an huge building with 58 floors, because it was during this year that Donald Trump got elected in United States. Unfortunately, we couldn’t enter in this last one...

Marcuccini Luigi

Back to top Go down

Post by LE GUILLOU--NADER Colleen Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:05 pm

When I was 13 years old, during a school trip I had the chance to go to Italy. For a week, we visited Rome and its historical monuments. It was at a time impressive and beautiful because to find old ruins in which our ancestors lived in the past, it gave a strange feeling. Our latin teacher's forced us to play a theater scene on an old amphitheater in front of all the tourists, I was a little ashamed especially that she had not forgotten the disguises of the time.
Between the Colosseum, the Trevi Fountain, the Vatican, the Pantheon etc... the trip was very rewarding in history and culture. I loved visiting these famous monuments of Rome while yet I don't like visits ans museums.

LE GUILLOU--NADER Colleen

Back to top Go down

Post by sriffa01 Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:52 pm

I have seen many beautiful monuments, but the one that has most marked me is in Rome, Italy. I am obviously talking about the Colosseum, I was able to visit it when I was in college and I was part of the Latin class. This monument is really gigantic, I understand why this arena could accommodate so many spectators.
Finally I love this monument because it has a great history and where today we can still feel its bloody past.

sriffa01

Back to top Go down

Post by TIRET Cédric Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:15 am

In France we have one monument very important, the eiffel tower, I see it once time and I don't see an other important monument in my life.

TIRET Cédric

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaspard Pouzin Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:53 am

I john
I want to Paris with my brother and sister and we saw de eiffel tower and climbed it also the Louvre and paris in general then i want to switherland and i saw the "lac léman" finnaly i want to usa i want to the TRUMP tower amazing as the owner.

Gaspard Pouzin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fusiller Simon Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:34 am

The statue of Christ the Redeemer is a large statue of Christ, overlooking the bay of Rio de Janeiro, perched on Mount Corcovado, Brazil. It is one of the most famous monuments in the world.

The statue was made by Paul Landowski, Gheorghe Leonida for the head and built by the engineer Heitor da Silva Costa with the French engineer Albert Caquot. Begun in 1926 was completed in 1931 it was made of concrete and steatite.

This is one of the symbols of Brazil.

Fusiller Simon

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaël Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:24 pm

When I was a child, I visited monuments/places every summer holiday with my parents in France and in other country. 3 particularly marked me :
The first was the city of Carcassonne, I was sick and it was very hot, the day was very long….
The second is a castle in the Eastern Pyrenees where one saw on the French mountain and on Spain, on the way we went up to the castle in 4*4, on the way back we walked, there were more than 1000 steps.
The last, the best, was the Sigean Nature Reserve, by car we drove in a giant park filled with Animals that came from all over the world like lions etc.

Gaël

Back to top Go down

Post by Océane Martin Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:39 pm

I'm lucky to have visited severals countries, and visited many monuments, but one of them marked particularly me ; it's the national park of Timanfaya, in Lanzarote, Canary Islands. It's a place whose I remember well because of its volcanics landscapes. We don't see this everywhere, it's a very special landscape. And, of course, there is in Lanzarote the beautiful house of Cesar Manrique. So, it's a little island, but so different! I also visited others places and monuments in the world, but they are all much more touristics, and some lose their charm.

Océane Martin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pitat Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:09 pm

I aways loved famous monuments like castles or towers. I see in New York the Empire State building and i visited it. It was really cool. But, I think my best place was Saint-Marc place. It was just wouha. I saw the coliseum in Roma and a lot of ancients monuments under there. There is also a famous place that I saw: Time square with a lot of shops , a lot of lightings it was a dream. Let us not forget that in france there are many monuments beautiful and we don't have need to left france to see that.

Pitat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ribault Geoffrey Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:07 pm

More than ten years ago I went to Egypt for 2 weeks. The Egyptian civilization has made wonderful monuments and some of them, like the pyramids remain hard to explain how they were built. Very interesting topic, but I am not going to speak about the pyramids but rather about the famous temple of Abou Simbel. The entrance is shaped in the sandstone mountain and the details of the statues show the stunning sculpture skills of the civilization. Inside, the architecture is impressive as are the different hieroglyphs and frescos.

Ribault Geoffrey

Back to top Go down

Post by VINIANE Méline Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:30 pm

For starters, having parents very much focused on the historical culture I was obliged since my youngest age to follow them in all the trips including the monuments. I will have a hard time choosing because of the number of monuments I have visited in the world. More than small, I did not have a great interest in it because during trips I wanted to go to the beach and amuse myself. of course, growing up to change! so I'm not able to make a choice. but I can say that I have not yet seen the pyramids egyptian, and today I would like to go see them.

VINIANE Méline

Back to top Go down

Post by margotgregoire Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:13 pm

When I was 10 years, went to the two week trip in the California and Nevada. For me, the best place that I have visited the grand Canyon ! I flew over it in a helicopter and i have full memories of it. After that we also visited the death valley. It was very hot but it was a wonderful huge desert.

margotgregoire

Back to top Go down

Post by Clementrodrigues Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:52 pm

During the summer of 2016 I visited one of the most beautiful and largest football stadium in the world in Barcelona Camp Nou which is located in the center of the Spanish Catalan city, Camp Nou is the stadium of one of the best clubs in the world and one of the most prestigious (after the real Madrid)
I had the chance to visit it and also to visit the club museum inside the stadium. I've been able to see very big players' jerseys but also prestigious trophies like the Champions League

Sent from Topic'it App
Clementrodrigues
Clementrodrigues

Back to top Go down

Post by Hugo Seugnet Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:38 pm

To talk about famous monument, I have to say that for me, a famous monument is not necessarly a monument which was created years ago, it could be a monument of sport. Five years ago, I went to Barcelona with my familly and I have seen the camp nou and I was like a children in front of the stadium. this is a really religious place and beautifull place. In Barcelona football is like a religion, there is a very big infatuation about messi and his team (Barcelona).

Hugo Seugnet

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Raveraud Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:08 pm

I don't know interrestings things on a momument so i'm gonna talk about a place I went with my school witch is Sweden. I went to this contry with the projet erasmus+ and everyone of my class a penfriend so I was very good to improve english talk.I also did the same thing with germany when I was younger and we went to berlin it's was very intersting the weather was cold be the strip was still good.

Nathan Raveraud

Back to top Go down

week 2 discussion topic - Famous Monuments/ Places Empty The sheakspear theater

Post by BEGUE simon Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:12 pm

hello
This week, i'm gonna takl about a theater that i work on for a job this summer. I work one week in June 2019, in London. I was animator. And one of my entertainment that i creat was a little play in wich i played shakespear. That was really fun. So it was creat in1661, for the shakespear group. In the time, it was a small group who played very little plays, dramatics most of the time. But a lot of yaers later, the crown wanted to moove the place to an other side of the london bridge. So he been destroy and rebuilt with small improvements. And, during the WWII, he burn during the fire in london. But everybody in the town want to rebuilt again this building, because of the culture and the pleasur that people have to watch plays in this mitychal place !
thanks for reading !

bye

BEGUE simon

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaëtan Debien Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:54 pm

Today, I will speak to Shinto sanctuary. It's the Inari's sanctuary. Inari is the cereal and comercial goddess. The monument is precede to thousand red doors. This doors are named torii. There are bought by rich people and this is their names in the doors. This is a principal attraction in Kyoto and the walk finishes by a huge temple. I want to visit this temple when I will go to Japan.

Gaëtan Debien

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next