UP English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Week 4 discussion

+6
Mathieu Rose
Marvin_Menou
MarineFoucat
Emmanuelle Darthout
Lea METIFET
Admin
10 posters

Go down

Week 4 discussion Empty Week 4 discussion

Post by Admin Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:41 pm

I've chosen a subject that doesn't need research this week but if you don't have the time then I'll forgive you. I'd like you to choose a film that you recommend that I (or my wife) watch - has to be available in English!!! tell me a little about it and why I need to watch it. You can, of course comment on any other suggestion too.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Week 4 discussion Empty The best movies of 2014 !

Post by FloraClement Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:11 pm

I don’t know if you know "The Labyrinth", but I urge you to go to see it. It  is a movie of Wes Ball mixing science-fiction, adventure, and action. It is adapted from the first volume of the literary cycle The Trial of James Dashner. For my part, I don’t really like science-fiction movies, but in this movie, the characters are very intriguing and the story is really great. As you may have guessed, the story takes place in a maze where a group of people find themselves stuck in, as you guessed it ; a labyrinth. They absolutely are looking to get out to retrieve the memory and their families. But the plan of the maze changes every night and is filled with dangerous creatures who will put their lives at risk. The end of the story is quite amazing and I can’t wait to see the next one! So John, let yourself be tempted by this film !
On another category, I recommend watching " Twelve years is slave," a historical drama directed by Steeve McQueen ; an adaptation of Solomon Northup who received the Oscar of the best movie 2014. You certainly know "Django " ; the movie of which I’m speaking is quite similar. " Twelve years a slave " recounts the horror experienced daily by black slaves. This is a very moving film, which makes us realize that we are very fortunate that our society has evolved! Step out the handkerchiefs Mrs. Cox.
These are my two favorite American films of 2014. I will recommend you  « The Walking Dead », but it turn out that you are an expert! Good movies !

FloraClement

Back to top Go down

Week 4 discussion Empty Re: Week 4 discussion

Post by Admin Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:35 am

I've got those two on my computer to watch Neutral

Twelve years a slave is a movie for my wife Wink. I haven't got around to checking out Labyrinth as it has some average reviews but now I will. There was another fantasy film called labyrinth many years ago featuring David Bowie - nothing like this one though.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lea METIFET Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:43 pm

I would like to present you a movie that I saw few days ago with the fantastic actor Liam Neeson (known especially for the following movies: Taken, The A-Team, Unknown or Batman). This movie is called “Non Stop” directed by Jaume Collet-Serra in 2014. This is a thriller and action movie: Liam Neeson is Bill Marks a US Air Marshall. The job of a US Air Marshall is to protect the crew and passengers and detect every possible attack in the civil aviation, by staying anonymous.

Bill is in a flight with his colleague Jack but they are not sited next to each other because they have to look like any other passenger. Several minutes after the take-off, Bill receives a text of an anonymous number on the private network of the aviation. This text tells that the emitter is inside the plane and that if he doesn’t receive 150 million of dollars on an account, a passenger will be killed every twenty minutes.

Bill will have to find this person before she starts killing people but there will be a lot of troubles and facts that will accuse Bill Marks to be the proper emitter of this text…

If you like thriller movies, this one is absolutely fantastic!

Lea METIFET

Back to top Go down

Post by Emmanuelle Darthout Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:13 pm

I urge you to watch Taken 3 ! I's sure you gonna like this film, John :-)

It's a very good action movie which rules off the saga Taken.
In fact, it's the third movie and it's at the same level of the two first (which is really rare today).
Action scenes are credibles, and the heros, he's the best. He is too strong, he is capable to kill thirty men in twenty-four hours. He is surhuman.
It's Liam Neeson who played the main caractere, he is always impressive in his role. He's still implicate in action scenes like in emotional scenes. The viewer really lives the film thaks to him.

Suspense is at its peak during two hours. If you watch this movie, you'll pass a good time.

Emmanuelle Darthout

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:24 pm

Lea METIFET wrote:I would like to present you a movie that I saw few days ago with the fantastic actor Liam Neeson (known especially for the following movies: Taken, The A-Team, Unknown or Batman). This movie is called “Non Stop” directed by Jaume Collet-Serra in 2014. This is a thriller and action movie: Liam Neeson is Bill Marks a US Air Marshall. The job of a US Air Marshall is to protect the crew and passengers and detect every possible attack in the civil aviation, by staying anonymous.

Bill is in a flight with his colleague Jack but they are not sited next to each other because they have to look like any other passenger. Several minutes after the take-off, Bill receives a text of an anonymous number on the private network of the aviation. This text tells that the emitter is inside the plane and that if he doesn’t receive 150 million of dollars on an account, a passenger will be killed every twenty minutes.

Bill will have to find this person before she starts killing people but there will be a lot of troubles and facts that will accuse Bill Marks to be the proper emitter of this text…

If you like thriller movies, this one is absolutely fantastic!

I do like Thrillers and I think Neeson is great. I'll definitely give it a go.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Week 4 discussion Empty Mr Nobody

Post by MarineFoucat Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:30 pm

Mister Nobody is the movie I could recommend you. It’s a science fiction drama film, starring Jared Leto and Diane Kruger amongst others. The movie deals with this common feeling that life has passed you by too fast and the frustration of a nonexistent reset button that could give you a second chance. It’s also about time nature, its causality and the notion of unlimited life paths that could exist at the same time.

To illustrate this eternal life issue, the movie projects us in 2092 and tells the story of Nemo Nobody, a 118 years old man who is the last mortal on Earth after the human race has achieved quasi-immortality. All along the movie, we see the hero narrating his incredible life story to a reporter: his three main loves, his different deaths, his parents' divorce and his relative hardships he endured at three critical points in his life: at age 9, 15 and 34.
The starting point is when young Nemo is forced to make an impossible choice: to stay in England with his dad or jump on a train and go to America with his mother. Here is the beginning of an infinity of possibilities. As long as he doesn't choose, anything is possible…

Even if the movie lasts more than two hours, it is easily watchable thanks to this original plot, evocative music and beautiful visuals that create a rich visual rhythm and make sure you’re never bored.

The movie might remind you “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” because of this complex concept. But here, an intriguing ending leaves the question opened, suggesting that every life is worth living and that each human life is precious with all its complications.

This open minded movie is a reflection on time, universe, dreams and imagination, allowing everyone to find their own “escape route”.
Here is the trailer >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpi0qsp3v_w

As I couldn’t decide between other movies I also recommend you: “Leon: the professional ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcsirofJrlM ) and Little Miss Sunshine ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWyH_twcMl0 ) >> I think you can love this one.

Have fun!

MarineFoucat

Back to top Go down

Week 4 discussion Empty "Goal' (2005)

Post by Marvin_Menou Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:31 pm

I would recommend you to watch « Goal », it was released in 2005.

The movie is really moving from the beginning till the end.

Santi is a young Mexican, he enjoys playing football and always keeps a football ball with him.
One day along with his family he managed to illegally cross the Mexican border but lost his ball as police were chasing them.

Once in California, Santi still plays football with his local team. Everyone is aware that he is talented. During one game a farmer Newcastle player who lives in California is conquered by Santi and proposed him a deal: Santi is offered a tryout in England. Flattered, Santi agrees and begins to save money so he can buy his flight tickets.

Unfortunately his father who works hard doesn’t understand his son’s dream and tension is growing between both of us. Finally Santi managed to buy his tickets thanks to his grandma’s generosity.

His first training with the Newcastle team is a complete disaster but Santi still believes in his dream.

Then you can imagine what happens next: his dream came true

Marvin_Menou

Back to top Go down

Post by Mathieu Rose Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:37 pm

I want to talk about Into the wild.

It is an American film directed by Sean Penn, released in 2007, dealing with the pursuit of happiness through independence and solitude.
This is the adaptation of the story written by Jon Krakauer in 1996 and tells the true story of Christopher McCandless.

The story chronicles the life of a young graduate who is promised to a great future.
However, it rejects the principles of our society and decides to go on the road and make a living on his own.
His quest for spirituality is between all the various atypical encounters and beautiful landscapes (really amazing).

I recommend this movie (if you have not already seen) because it helps to ask a few questions about our company and its operations. And even if the story does not please you, look for its stunning landscape.

Mathieu Rose

Back to top Go down

Week 4 discussion Empty K-Pax

Post by Florence M. Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:53 pm

I recommend you K-Pax.
K-PAX is an American science fiction-mystery film directed by Iain Softley and starring Kevin Spacey, Jeff Bridges, Mary McCormack and Alfre Woodard. The screenplay, written by Gene Brewer and Charles Leavitt, is based on the novel K-PAX by Brewer about a psychiatric patient who claims to be an alien from the planet K-PAX. During his treatment, the patient demonstrates an outlook on life that ultimately proves inspirational for his fellow patients and especially for his psychiatrist.

This movie could be a little special in a first place, but believe me if you like Kevin Spacey and Jeff Bridges, you'll like this movie !

According to me, it's a poetic movie about Life.

http://www.allocine.fr/video/player_gen_cmedia=18670824&cfilm=28569.html

Florence M.

Back to top Go down

Week 4 discussion Empty Movie

Post by Elodie Gautreau Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:09 pm

It's difficult to choose only one.
But I want to talk about "Big Fish" a moving film directed by Tim Burton.
Main actors are Ewan McGregor, Albert Finney, Jessica Lange and it was made in 2003
This is the story of a man (Edward Bloom) who will die and whose son wants to discover the origin of the stories they told him when he was a Young boy .
He wants to discover what is true and why his dad loved tell stories like this one of a big fish in a lake.
To understand what is this legend we have to Watch the end of the movie

That's magic because it mixes fact and fiction of the imagination.

I'm Sorry I don't know what can I tell you more 'cause I refuse to spoil you !

To conclude, I can say, I love Burton's Movies.

(El , the mexican mustache traficante del CEPE)

Elodie Gautreau

Back to top Go down

Week 4 discussion Empty Boulevard de la mort - Death proof

Post by CINDYLEFEVRE Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:21 pm

I'm a huge fan of Quentin Tarantino and I consider all his movies as masterpieces. One of my favorite movie is "Death proof".
It's a double feature for "grindhouse" produced by Robert Rodriguez & Quentin Tarantino. "Death proof" is most of all an horror and action movie.
The storyline is the following :
A psychopathic man called Stuntman Mike stalked groups of young women before murdering them in stunning car accidents using his "death-proof" stunt car, until one day he finally find a worthy adversary.

I advise you to watch this movie if you like :

1) Girls !!! Yes, for once girls are the main characters. They are young, sexy, independent and show how strong they could be. Moreover, the lapdance sequence won't let you indifferent Cool
2) Cars and action. The movie shows incredible car crash and car race sequences with vintage car as the Nova Chevrolet or the Dodge Charger and the Dodge Challenger. "Death proof" is a tribute to the 70's stunt movies.
3) Music, the soundtrack is so great ! You have to listen to it ! It's a mix of Serge Gainsbourg and April March, Dave Dee Dozy Beaky Mick & Tich and The Coasters.
4) Vintage movie of the 70's with the same aged look effects.
5) The casting

Don't wait no more, and download or use the legal way and just buy the DVD if you want to spend a good time with what is for me a must-see and collector movie ! Very Happy

Enjoy Cool

http://www.allocine.fr/video/player_gen_cmedia=18731231&cfilm=108247.html

CINDYLEFEVRE

Back to top Go down

Week 4 discussion Empty The Big Lebowski

Post by Jérémy Elias Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:47 pm

The Big Lebowski is a movie written and realised by the Coen brothers making fun with Film noir, and the american society and dream with a lot of humor, sarcasm and criticism. It's inspired from The big sleed, a Raymond Chandler's thriller. In fact the story is about a lazy bowling fan and player that everybody call The Dude that we at the very start of the movie see wearing a bathrobe and slippers while drinking milk in a supermarket. All the movie is about and started with a misunderstanding (two thugs urinating on the main character rug) that is going to involve the main character and two or three of his atypical friends into an investigation like no other one. Like you may have guess, you are not going to watch this movie for it's particulary well thinked scenario but more for the originality of the characters and dialogues.

Jérémy Elias

Back to top Go down

Week 4 discussion Empty Night Call

Post by Salma Elassali Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:09 am

I recommend Nightcall (Nightcrawler), an American film written and directed by Dan Gilroy, starring  Jake Gyllenhaal, Rene Russo, Riz Ahmed. This is a thriller and drama movie: Connected to police's radio frequencies, Lou (Jake Gyllenhaal) runs Los Angeles at night in search of shocking images he sells at exorbitant prices to local TV channels. The race for the spectacular will have no limit…

It’s an Excellent movie, Jake Gyllenhaal is just perfect, the character is revealed more and more progressively  in the film, what holds in suspense until the end.
A very good thriller with pace and an impressive acting performance that I highly recommend.

Salma Elassali

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:08 am

MarineFoucat wrote:Mister Nobody is the movie I could recommend you. It’s a science fiction drama film, starring Jared Leto and Diane Kruger amongst others. The movie deals with this common feeling that life has passed you by too fast and the frustration of a nonexistent reset button that could give you a second chance. It’s also about time nature, its causality and the notion of unlimited life paths that could exist at the same time.

To illustrate this eternal life issue, the movie projects us in 2092 and tells the story of Nemo Nobody, a 118 years old man who is the last mortal on Earth after the human race has achieved quasi-immortality. All along the movie, we see the hero narrating his incredible life story to a reporter: his three main loves, his different deaths, his parents' divorce and his relative hardships he endured at three critical points in his life: at age 9, 15 and 34.
The starting point is when young Nemo is forced to make an impossible choice: to stay in England with his dad or jump on a train and go to America with his mother. Here is the beginning of an infinity of possibilities. As long as he doesn't choose, anything is possible…

Even if the movie lasts more than two hours, it is easily watchable thanks to this original plot, evocative music and beautiful visuals that create a rich visual rhythm and make sure you’re never bored.

The movie might remind you “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” because of this complex concept. But here, an intriguing ending leaves the question opened, suggesting that every life is worth living and that each human life is precious with all its complications.

This open minded movie is a reflection on time, universe, dreams and imagination, allowing everyone to find their own “escape route”.
Here is the trailer >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpi0qsp3v_w

As I couldn’t decide between other movies I also recommend you: “Leon: the professional ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcsirofJrlM ) and Little Miss Sunshine ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWyH_twcMl0 ) >> I think you can love this one.

Have fun!

I've seen Leon and Little Miss Sunshine (though it was a few years ago). Never heard of Mister Nobody but I like Sci-fi and it's true as you get older life does seem to be passing more quickly and at a certian age you realise it's not going to last forever, in fact the end may be closer than you think. If only I believed in an afterlife other than as reconstituted molecules.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:26 am

Marvin_Menou wrote:I would recommend you to watch « Goal », it was released in 2005.

The movie is really moving from the beginning till the end.

Santi is a young Mexican, he enjoys playing football and always keeps a football ball with him.
One day along with his family he managed to illegally cross the Mexican border but lost his ball as police were chasing them.

Once in California, Santi still plays football with his local team. Everyone is aware that he is talented. During one game a farmer Newcastle player who lives in California is conquered by Santi and proposed him a deal: Santi is offered a tryout in England. Flattered, Santi agrees and begins to save money so he can buy his flight tickets.

Unfortunately his father who works hard doesn’t understand his son’s dream and tension is growing between both of us. Finally Santi managed to buy his tickets thanks to his grandma’s generosity.

His first training with the Newcastle team is a complete disaster but Santi still believes in his dream.

Then you can imagine what happens next: his dream came true

Mathieu Rose wrote:I want to talk about Into the wild.

It is an American film directed by Sean Penn, released in 2007, dealing with the pursuit of happiness through independence and solitude.
This is the adaptation of the story written by Jon Krakauer in 1996 and tells the true story of Christopher McCandless.

The story chronicles the life of a young graduate who is promised to a great future.
However, it rejects the principles of our society and decides to go on the road and make a living on his own.
His quest for spirituality is between all the various atypical encounters and beautiful landscapes (really amazing).

I recommend this movie (if you have not already seen) because it helps to ask a few questions about our company and its operations. And even if the story does not please you, look for its stunning landscape.

Florence M. wrote:I recommend you K-Pax.
K-PAX is an American science fiction-mystery film directed by Iain Softley and starring Kevin Spacey, Jeff Bridges, Mary McCormack and Alfre Woodard. The screenplay, written by Gene Brewer and Charles Leavitt, is based on the novel K-PAX by Brewer about a psychiatric patient who claims to be an alien from the planet K-PAX. During his treatment, the patient demonstrates an outlook on life that ultimately proves inspirational for his fellow patients and especially for his psychiatrist.

This movie could be a little special in a first place, but believe me if you like Kevin Spacey and Jeff Bridges, you'll like this movie !

According to me, it's a poetic movie about Life.

http://www.allocine.fr/video/player_gen_cmedia=18670824&cfilm=28569.html

I've not seen any of these. I'll add them to my growing list.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:29 am

Anonymous wrote:It's difficult to choose only one.
But I want to talk about "Big Fish" a moving film directed by Tim Burton.
Main actors are Ewan McGregor, Albert Finney, Jessica Lange and it was made in 2003
This is the story of a man (Edward Bloom) who will die and whose son wants to discover the origin of the stories they told him when he was a Young boy .
He wants to discover what is true and why his dad loved tell stories like this one of a big fish in a lake.
To understand what is this legend we have to Watch the end of the movie

That's magic because it mixes fact and fiction of the imagination.  

I'm Sorry I don't know what can I tell you more 'cause I refuse to spoil you !

To conclude, I can say, I love Burton's Movies.

(El , the mexican mustache traficante del CEPE)

CINDYLEFEVRE wrote:I'm a huge fan of Quentin Tarantino and I consider all his movies as masterpieces. One of my favorite movie is "Death proof".
It's a double feature for "grindhouse" produced by Robert Rodriguez & Quentin Tarantino. "Death proof" is most of all an horror and action movie.
The storyline is the following :
A psychopathic man called Stuntman Mike stalked groups of young women before murdering them in stunning car accidents using his "death-proof" stunt car, until one day he finally find a worthy adversary.

I advise you to watch this movie if you like :

1) Girls !!! Yes, for once girls are the main characters. They are young, sexy, independent and show how strong they could be. Moreover, the lapdance sequence won't let you indifferent Cool
2) Cars and action. The movie shows incredible car crash and car race sequences with vintage car as the Nova Chevrolet or the Dodge Charger and the Dodge Challenger. "Death proof" is a tribute to the 70's stunt movies.
3) Music, the soundtrack is so great ! You have to listen to it ! It's a mix of Serge Gainsbourg and April March, Dave Dee Dozy Beaky Mick & Tich and The Coasters.
4) Vintage movie of the 70's with the same aged look effects.
5) The casting

Don't wait no more, and download or use the legal way and just buy the DVD if you want to spend a good time with what is for me a must-see and collector movie ! Very Happy

Enjoy Cool

http://www.allocine.fr/video/player_gen_cmedia=18731231&cfilm=108247.html

I haven't seen either movie but like Burton and Tarantino (though my wife is not so keen). They'll go on the list.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:30 am

Salma Elassali wrote:
I recommend Nightcall (Nightcrawler), an American film written and directed by Dan Gilroy, starring  Jake Gyllenhaal, Rene Russo, Riz Ahmed. This is a thriller and drama movie: Connected to police's radio frequencies, Lou (Jake Gyllenhaal) runs Los Angeles at night in search of shocking images he sells at exorbitant prices to local TV channels. The race for the spectacular will have no limit…

It’s an Excellent movie, Jake Gyllenhaal is just perfect, the character is revealed more and more progressively  in the film, what holds in suspense until the end.
A very good thriller with pace and an impressive acting performance that I highly recommend.

Think I saw it a long time ago.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cadoret solene Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:07 pm

Sorry Mr Cox but the subject about Dominique Strauss-Kahn bores me. So I prefer to recommend you a movie.

Recently, i watched a really good movie with Geoge Cloney. I hope you don’t know it. It’s the biggest treasure hunt of the XXth century, “ The monument men”. This movie is based on a true story and take place during the The Second World War.

Seven American soldiers managed by Georges Cloney had the mission to find work of arts stolen by the Nazis and to restore them to their owners. The problem is that these treasures are hidden on full enemy territory, and their chances to succeed are tiny. To try to prevent the destruction of thousand years of art and culture, this Monument Men is going to dash into an incredible race against the clock, by risking their life to protect and defend the most invaluable artistic treasures of the humanity …

Furthermore, I like this movie because I have learned a part of the history which I didn’t know before.

Make the most of it!

Cadoret solene

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:27 pm

Cadoret solene wrote:Sorry Mr Cox but the subject about Dominique Strauss-Kahn bores me. So I prefer to recommend you a movie.

Recently, i watched a really good movie with Geoge Cloney. I hope you don’t know it. It’s the biggest treasure hunt of the XXth century,  “ The monument men”. This movie is based on a true story and take place during the The Second World War.

Seven American soldiers managed by Georges Cloney had the mission to find work of arts stolen by the Nazis and to restore them to their owners. The problem is that these treasures are hidden on full enemy territory, and their chances to succeed are tiny. To try to prevent the destruction of thousand years of art and culture, this Monument Men is going to dash into an incredible race against the clock, by risking their life to protect and defend the most invaluable artistic treasures of the humanity …

Furthermore, I like this movie because I have learned a part of the history which I didn’t know before.

Make the most of it!

I saw it last year some time.

Enjoyable movie but it didn't seem to know what type of movie it was.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down