UP English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fifth week discussion

+23
Emmanuel David
lilianroquet
marine.bernard
JF Quiquerez
PierreBERTRAND
JIANG Zhen
Anthony Bardy
Jordy Labrousse
ZHANG Yangyang
LIU siqin
DAI Yulin
LEI Yin
Raphaël Lorenzi
clement.biaunier
Veranika MALKEVICH
Benjamin BARBIER
Raphaël RAYNEAU
bigben
J-Carrere
anaïsdebackere
Maxime Buard
adeline perrigault
Admin
27 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Fifth week discussion Empty Fifth week discussion

Post by Admin Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:03 pm

Zero hour contracts. Who are they good for?

For those of you who don't know what they are here are a few recent articles:

What they are

ONS report

guardian article

Could they be used in other countries like France, China, Vietnam, Madagascar, Colombia..?

What needs to be put in place to improve their use?

What alternatives do you see to increase employment?

Last edited by Admin on Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Fifth week discussion Empty Re: Fifth week discussion

Post by adeline perrigault Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:14 pm

Hellooo Smile

Zero hour contract is a typical measure in Great Britain. It works is this : an employee signs a contract with a company. When the company requires additional workforce, it calls this employee. The employee must be available to accept work assignments. The boss pay work-hours to the employee. If the employee doesn’t work, he will receive zero money. There is a drawback because the employee, who signs a contract with a company, doesn’t have the right to find another job. This measure is a good thing for people like students or pensioner who want an occasional income. Currently, more than one in ten employers uses zero hour contract.
In my point of view, this measure is controversial. The system is based on flexibility so it’s a good idea but each person (in the workforce) needs money to live and pay things of daily life: electricity, food etc. That only allows companies to have more flexibility.
I think that in France, it is not possible to have this type of contract because French people attach importance to the minimum wage. So, it’s not conceivable in our country. Flexibility is a problem in France. Companies need more flexibility but another type of measure….

XOXO.

adeline perrigault

Back to top Go down

Post by Maxime Buard Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:19 am

Hi =)

Zero-hour contract is a type of employment contract used in the United Kingdom, the terms may vary from case to case but the main feature is that the employer does not guarantee a minimum number of hours worked. In January 2015 in UK. ONS count approximately 1.4 million contracts with a few hours by month. More than one employers in ten uses it in the country.
In this contract the benefits are on the side of the employer. It does not require it to set a minimum working hours and minimum wages. The employee agrees to be available for work as required by his employer. It is often advised that the work he has to perform a few hours before he took service. More than The contract may stipulate that it is not allowed to work for another company.

I think this system is insecure job for workers. So With this system, you don't dare say no! If you refuse again, the offers are becoming increasingly rare and you finally get fired, but there is no dismissal procedure.

Maxime Buard

Back to top Go down

Post by anaïsdebackere Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:01 pm

Hi every one !
We can easily understand the reason of zero hour contracts. A flexibility given to employers and employees. There are advantages such as, lower tax for employers, possibility to have people when the demand grows and with no limit of work time.
But there is also drawbacks because if it allows a good flexibility, a bad one can jeopardize employees and not really employers.
Conditions of those contracts depend on employers: that's why sometimes employees don't have a minimum and viable work time, they haven't the choice of the type of work and above all they have to be completely available for the employer.
It's the case in lots of states. In France, the government tried to set a type of contract to protect employees from instability with the CDI but which carries weight for employers (with tax, paperwork, difficulties to fire someone). And nowadays, we notice the fall of its use; and employers get round the laws.
I think that we have to put things in perspective. This type of work doesn't concern every one. It affects a little part of the working population compared to other contracts. I think that this contract tries to solve a major problem to avoid unemployment and give more flexibility. Germany made the same thing with an one euro per hour contract. The criticisms were pretty the same. The aim wasn't to invent a contract to eliminate unemployment, but made people employable with experiences, sociable and give to them an additional pay. Of course, it can be distorted from its goals like lots of things .. But it helps relevant people.

To my mind, the zero hour contract isn't the problem as long as it isn't the only type of contract. Of course, its use has to be controlled ...

anaïsdebackere

Back to top Go down

Post by J-Carrere Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:47 am

This type of contract can be good to obtain a better flexibility for the work market.
I this thoses kind of contract must only be used on short and limited periods .
Since 2008, this phenomenum is used in germnany : Even if they have good economics indicators there is a lot of poor peoplein germany .Having a flexible working contract is also a barrier for being owner (cause u cant apply for loans).
IMO it can be a ngood thing but it's rly hard to apply it safety .

J-Carrere

Back to top Go down

Post by bigben Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:02 am

This type of contract has advantages and disadvantages. If u re a student, it's really interessant because u can work when u can. He will pay the tuition fees and the others fees. This contract represent the paroxysm of flexibily. Personally, i think that u re a modern slave. However, this contract meets the expectations of everyone. More, i hope that just student are using this type of contract because u can look the future.

bigben

Back to top Go down

Post by Raphaël RAYNEAU Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:13 am

Hi everyone

I have already heard about zero hour contracts. I did not really know the features of those. Thank you all for your quick summarize.
I think that is a good way to offer job to students. Indeed, students have to study, but in many cases, they have plenty of free time. Here I am talking about myself. With this type of contract in France, I would be able to work during my free time.
In my opinion, employers can resort to students people to work on several hours undesired by others. I think by example on the sunday. For me it would not be problem to work this day.

You know, I am pretty favorable with them. However, this type of contract should be used only for students. Zero hour contracts should not be generalize to all workers. No students people can be endangered by this.

Zero hour contract should be used in France. But there are two important conditions :
- To grant this type of contract for people old from 20 to 25 by example.
- To allow just 2 or 3 "zero hour contracts" for each company.

Raph

Raphaël RAYNEAU

Back to top Go down

Post by Benjamin BARBIER Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:35 am

Hi John,
Zero hour contracts are contracts used in United Kingdom, this type of contract has grown since the crisis of 2008. The objective is to increase labor flexibility. The employee has no fixed schedule, it must wait for the call from her employer to know when he works, it can be called at any time of the day. There is also an on call system. The employee may also work well thirty hours in the week that zero hour, there is no obligation for the employer. He is paid for hours worked for minimum wage.
In the United Kingdom, McDonald's employs 90% of its employees with this contract. Another problem for the contract is the absence of paid leave and sickness indemnities. Same Buckingham Palace uses the zero hour contracts for their 350 seasonal and they are prohibited from working for another employer.

Benjamin BARBIER

Back to top Go down

Post by Veranika MALKEVICH Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:21 pm

Hey everyone,
Zero contracts seem to be a good solution for modern enterprises in today's atmosphere of uncertainty. Zero contracts gives employers less responsibility than usual contracts. As long as Europe today is facing an increase of unemployment (and some countries, as Spain and Italy, have an unemployment crisis), this measure may be used not only in the United Kingdom, but in other European contries as well.
However, employees seem to be unhappy for this measure. First of all, they can never be certain about their family income. Secondly, some employers illegally make them extra work-hours, because of the threat of being fired. And last (but not the least), employees cannot combine this job with some other kind of activity.
So, in order for zero-contracts to be fair for all, it's necessary to give employees more flexibility and provide a necessary control on how employers carry out their duties according to the contracts.

Veranika MALKEVICH

Back to top Go down

Post by clement.biaunier Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:30 pm

Hi John Smile
This contracts are used in the United Kingdom. Zero hour contract have the objective to increase labor flexibility. To use this type of contract it is first necessary that the company is looking for a person interested in this type of work. Once that person is found , the company made him sign a contract. This contract is used when a company needs additional labor, he calls this employee. The employee must be available to accept the proposed work. These hours will provide a salary. However, if the employee doesn’t work, he won’t receive any money. However, there is a drawback with this type of contract , for those who sign don’t have the right to find another job .
I think this measure is a good thing for students who want an occasional income.

clement.biaunier

Back to top Go down

Post by Raphaël Lorenzi Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:24 pm

Hi everyone,
I did not know this type of contract before if I understand this is specific to the United Kingdom.
I find this thing very strange , why hire someone if he does not work ? And so if he does not win money, what advantage this brings it to you ...
May be to lower the unemployment rate. But this is probably a political move to make believe that the country emerged from the economic crisis.
But people do not seem to believe , given the results to last election (UKIP).

Raphaël Lorenzi

Back to top Go down

Post by LEI Yin Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:50 pm

Hi John,
In China, I have never heard of zero-hour contract, so I'm looking for some information from the Internet about this word.
I think it can increase the employment rate for those unemployed and young graduates, but it also has some drawbacks, some workers on zero-hours contracts must accept the working hours the company are offered, so often deny the opportunity to seek employment elsewhere, and they have no income security and pensions.

LEI Yin

Back to top Go down

Post by DAI Yulin Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:58 pm

Hello everyone,

I think the zero hour contract could be used just for those who want to get a part-time job or who haven’t any stress of life. The zero hour contract can’t make sure that the employees can work with guarantee. Even if such a contract appears in a country, it is impossible to develop rapidly. Because ‘Zero-hours contracts, allow employers to hire staff with no guarantee of work.’ No one want to get a job with risks.

But on the other hand, this kind of contract can also be chosen by a part of people who have this demand. But I believe that such a demand must be based on the overall employment under social pressure is not too hard, in other words, development of the country must mature and stable, then the people will got the right for choosing.

DAI Yulin

Back to top Go down

Post by LIU siqin Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:23 pm

Hi,

This is the first time I've heard about the Zero hour contract, it does not exist in China, we have only the casual workers, I don’t know the situation they have faced is the same or not. In China, the casual workers are always thought of as different and inferior, their rights are not protected, and they do the same work with different pay. I think the people who chose the Zero hour contract in UK is has no choice, like the casual workers in Chine. But face the situation of employment in Europe, the Zero hour contract is a solution, but not the best.

(A little notice of the flexibility of time, does it good for the employees? I’m afraid not. The employees should always stand by, because they don’t know the specific time of next work, it’s actually limits their time.)

LIU siqin

Back to top Go down

Post by ZHANG Yangyang Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:43 pm

Hello everyone,
A Zero Hours contract is a form of contract that it provides for a more informal relationship which is suitable for casual workers or the people who are difficult to find a job. But the problem is coming! Very Happy If, for example, they have been employed continuously for six month or a year, then there is a chance that they obtain appropriate status and the company will need to review this at the relevant time. But if the company employ just the employer who a Zero Hours contract, how we can ensure the employees have a stable job? It is a problem.

ZHANG Yangyang

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordy Labrousse Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:11 am

Hi everyone,

It's interesting to tlak about it. It didn't read something about it before.

I think it's a fantastic opportunity for a contractor. You don't have to ask to for an interim, so no searching cost (time and cash). More about it you can be confident in your zero hour contract workers. And you can have them few ours after the apparience of the need. For this, you don't have to pay a full or half time salary but you only paid the work he maid. It's so perfect for the contractor.

But if you look in the zero hour contract employee you see where the problem is. For a student it's perfect, you can be concentrate on your studies, and earn money to pay them.
But for a zero hour worker who don't have opportunity to find other contract you have to make hours your boss chose (and the income that goes with it). And you can't work away because you're under contract nor begin a long activity because you've to be ready whenevr your boss ask you to come.
So you've got disatvantages of a full time job, and the income of a zero hour contract.

In France, i think we can't have this, because there are too much taxes for the employer for each workers (health, insurance, retirement) . Notwithstanding we've something very close to it. the "chèques emplois services". It's a possibility to pay someone for an activity he makes for you (even a one hour activity) with insurance of work. You pay him more because of the taxes. But you can deduct the half of the amount you pay in "chèques emplois services" in your annual taxes, with a ceiling limit for sure. That makes you select the safest way instead of the black market.
But because you're not an employer, there's no contract and so that's why it can work in France.

Jordy Labrousse

Back to top Go down

Post by Anthony Bardy Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:14 am

Hello everybody!
In my opinion, zero hour contracts must be used in some economics situations.
It depends on two things.
These contracts will have a positive impact in country with are a lot rate of unemployment. In fact, it allows reducing unemployment, so to boost the consumption. It’s so beneficial for the state and the government because it always try to reduce the unemployment to attract increasingly electors.
However, for me, zero hour contracts are bad ideas for the country in good economic-health. I think in country with less unemployment, it’s more useless because the short term dole is higher.
Personally I think the zero hour contracts are so more efficient in country which unemployment allocations are low. People prefer to find a mini-job instead to get allocations. So in France, the system will be not possible because the unemployment allocations are so huge.

See you tomorrow John elephant

Anthony Bardy

Back to top Go down

Post by JIANG Zhen Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:10 am

Hello, everybody Surprised
Before I didn't know very well about this concept of ''Zero hour contracts. ''
After research and your explications ,I have known more about it :
'Zero-hours contracts explained a type of contract, where the employer purports to have the discretion to vary the employee's working hours, usually anywhere from full-time to "zero hours". '
For the sector, the contracts are frequently used in retail and in the hospitality sector. And for the people, it is more likely to be women, students like us. So it's someone who has difficulties to find a job in full time .
This kind of contracts are supported for the reason like the flexibility that they can offer.But it don't guarantee a minimum number of hours of employment.
In China , I 'm not sure if it refers to Temporary workers which is used much? Which refers to the workplace in the informal labor employed, usually to a daily rate capitation. Also not be able to enjoy the profit of the formal labor pension and minimum monthly wage. The purpose of hiring temporary workers to handle the extra work with short-term, such as long-term workers on maternity leave, so when temporary workers hired replacement workers.
- For what needs to be put in place to improve their use?- I think it should improve the social security.
- What alternatives do you see to increase employment? -For ex, Strengthening education and training and so on ...

JIANG Zhen

Back to top Go down

Post by PierreBERTRAND Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:20 am

Blablblabla i'm writing an english text blablabla you wont read it anyway blablabla i'm a unicorn blablblabla
PierreBERTRAND
PierreBERTRAND

Back to top Go down

Post by JF Quiquerez Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:43 am

Hi !

Zero hours contract is a type of contract very used in UK. In my opinion all the advantages are for the employer. There is no limit of work hours or a minimum salary.
The advantages for the employee are not great, cause only the hours you work are paid and you are not allowed to have another job beside.
And you cannot live with this situation cause you'll never know how many money you will earn. And if you planned something for a day, it can be cancelled, cause your employer ask you to do some work..

JF Quiquerez

Back to top Go down

Post by marine.bernard Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:05 pm

Hi everybody !
Zero hours contracts are usually used in the United Kingdom. It is often said to be a measure that may fight joblessness and offer more flexibility to employers.
The goal of these contracts is to permit employers to adapt their labor according to their economic results. In other words, they may hide people without fixing a number of hours. This measure is used by many Anglo-Saxon firms (as Mac Donald for instance ) to maximize their margin and reduce their costs.
However, these contracts have very negative impact in the labor market. Indeed, they increase precarity and inequalities between workers. They put into place a pressure in order to workers accept to wholly adapt to firm’s needs. I think that we may talk about a new modern form of exploitation. Firstly, employers may easily dismiss workers. Also, workers cannot work for another firm, even if their income is not sufficient. Workers have to conform to requirements of employers, otherwise employers could decide to not dismiss them but no longer give them some work. Some studies have showed that workers have such difficulties to plan their consumption because of not receiving fixed income. Some studies have showed a strange situation because of these contracts : in the UK, there are more poor workers than poors who don’t work. At last, workers cannot benefit of paid leave or days stop disease. In other words, workers are entirely devoted to firm’s needs.
I don’t think that these measures can be implemented in France because they are built on the Anglo-Saxon culture. However, it could be a good thing to studies labor for instance, but it couldn’t solve issues of mass unemployment.
I consider we may find other measures to fight against joblessness. For instance, many efforts could be done concerning training and retraining.

marine.bernard

Back to top Go down

Post by lilianroquet Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:18 pm

Hi John, Hi Everyone,

I had never heard of the zero hour contract, so I sought information on this type of contract. I understood that it was an English system to deliver the long-term unemployed to work. The results of the British economy are exceptional growth of 3% Unemployment 6%. In the UK, 1.5 million workers are concerned by this system. All jobs are concerned, including frames. All sorts of companies use these contracts, including the most successful which could sustain employment through permanent contracts.

With this contract, the employer is not obliged to offer regular employment to the employee, the employee is not obliged to accept the hours that his employer offered him.

But the contract has disadvantages in comparison with a permanent and regular work.
For example, workers have no paid holidays and sick pay, employees are allowed to work for another employer. Add to this, Stress, unpredictability of his time.

lilianroquet

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:24 am

PierreBERTRAND wrote:Blablblabla i'm writing an english text blablabla you wont read it anyway blablabla  i'm a unicorn blablblabla

You've been drinking again haven't you?

I waste my life reading EVERY post.

And you're late this was last week's discussion Wink
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Emmanuel David Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:30 pm

Hi !

I didn't know that kind of contract... But it's scared me, because that's right we must have more flexibility in France, but we also have to protect workers.
With this contract, the worker have to be available for the company, but the company don't have any obligations in the other side... The company possess the disponibility of the worker, without obligations, so in my opinion if the worker doesn't work, he is like a slave. Because the boss possess the time's worker without pay him !

Emmanuel David

Back to top Go down

Post by FENG YE Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:53 pm

Hi, Everybody.
In my opinoin, it couldn't put the Zero hour contract into practice in China. Firstly,I think the Zero hour contract just be suited in the developped coutries just like Bristish,Frence.Beacause in these coutries,the welfare system is relatively integrated.With the zero hour contract,even if the people don't have the job,they still can get the supply from the country. However,there are still a lot of people who could'nt yet find a job and they suffer from the loan for car or house's stress. If they hold a hour contract,it is possible they could't loan repayment every month. At the same time, the related system to surpervise the job's contract is still not complet, so the hour contract maybe causing a lot of disputes. In summarize, the hour contract is not suitable in China.

FENG YE

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next