UP English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

sixth week discussion

+26
FENG YE
lilianroquet
philippe.emmanuel.emmou.c
JIANG Zhen
xinyuan
LEI Yin
J-Carrere
PierreBERTRAND
Veranika MALKEVICH
Matt.Randria
DAI Yulin
Raphaël RAYNEAU
bigben
Raphaël Lorenzi
clement.biaunier
Benjamin BARBIER
Maxime Buard
Emmanuel David
Stéphane Millassaud
Ebbah
Arnaud Guibert
Jordy Labrousse
adeline perrigault
LIU siqin
anaïsdebackere
Admin
30 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

sixth week discussion Empty sixth week discussion

Post by Admin Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:14 pm

For a change I'll give you the chance to inform. This week I want you to tell me what your favourite movie is and tell me why I should watch it.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

sixth week discussion Empty Re: sixth week discussion

Post by anaïsdebackere Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:37 pm

"Sarah's key" is according to me, one of the best movie I've seen in last few years.
I prefer comedies or romance (because I'm a girl..) but this movie leaves its mark on me as much by its scenario as by its story. At first it is a novel written by Tatiana De ROSNAY, which describes in turns the destiny of Sarah during the Vel dhiv roundup and the one of Julia, a journalist, who tries to understand this period and finally will end to reveal a well-kept family secret. It enables to wonder what are nowadays the consequences of this tragedy on our oblivious conscience. This movie is without the usual history lessons and it is rather appreciated. The two different stories subtly meet along the movie and we discover their similarities. The actors play in finesse and the secret keeps us in suspense. A great movie. By the way, I'm off now to buy the book.

anaïsdebackere

Back to top Go down

Post by LIU siqin Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:05 pm

Hi John,
I do really like to watch movies, there are many excellent films in the western countries, but I want you introduce you a Chinese film, which you certainly have not seen before…
American Dreams in China
Although the film describes a campus life full of idealism for the future, the story is more about starting out after innocent youth, 3 best friends (Cheng Dongqing, Meng Xiaojun and Wang Yang) established an English institution to help students to achieve the American Dream.
Through the destinies of the movie’s protagonists, the audience witnesses a triangle of friendship, career ambitions and personal dreams seemingly collapse as three best friends desperately try to tie and twist these elements together. That’s why Wang Yang, one of the three best friends, who start a business together, shares this lesson of life: ‘’never starts a business with your best friends’’. Without knowing of Meng ‘s struggles in the US and his disillusion toward the country, there’s no way Cheng can understand why Meng is pushing all the agendas so hard. To some extent, the career is predestined to be failed. Even so, despite these differences, friendship always prevails. Cheng’s difficulties become an opportunity which the three friends stand together. It’s through the emotional connection they developed over many years that they finally overcome their differences and reform the alliance.
The film was never about business after all. It is not unusual to feel lonely in modern competitive society. In the BBC Sherlock Holmes, there is a line I am really into -- Alone is what I have. Alone protects me. However, it is an incredibly big fortune to have friends who know you and share your values. I extremely admire the friendship among them three both in the movie and in the reality. Accompanied, they fight for their dreams together. Despite that they often argue and quarrel, they are always nearby when one of them are in adversary. That is the true essence of friendship. If you can have such friends in your life, that is enough.

LIU siqin

Back to top Go down

Post by adeline perrigault Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:00 pm

My Sister's Keeper (“ma vie pour la tienne” in french) is my favorite movie. Anna, a 11-year-old girl, was conceived medically because her parents wanted to save her older sister Kate who was infected by a cancer. Kate needs a kidney transplant to survive and Anna is supposed to be the donor. But at that time, Anna decides to sue her parents for violations of her body’s rights. (Even if Anna is a young person, it’s possible) Her mother, a former counsel has to return to advocacy for herself and her husband. So, the movie shows family problems in front of this lawsuit. More particularly, the movie insists of the disarray of the mother because she wants to save her older sister and she doesn’t understand the choice of her youngest daughter; but at the same time, she loves both of them. Then, the film reveals the hardness daily life of a patient: drugs, fainting fit, hair loss… but also common things like end-of-year ball because Kate is above all an teenager.
I think this movie is interesting because this leads us to wonder about if conceive a child in order to save another is a good thing. It’s a moral question and medical ethics question. This movie touched me. Here, the link to discover the trailer : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m0G4Ot6Kzc

adeline perrigault

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordy Labrousse Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:07 pm

Hello John, so you need movies idea, I'll give you my best film memories.

According to me "Tell no one" is one of the best movies. The story's about a man who received a message from someone who's apparently his wife, with only a very low quality of a monitoring camera showing a woman who looks like her. The only problem is that she was killed 8 years ago during a night they spent together in the forest. All the story is about to undersand who wrote this message and why. In the same time, curriously the police open back this case. While he's searching the truth about this message he has to disculp himself of his wife murder.
All along the film you see a man trying to solve this problem. But with the time, you see a man scared by the violence that a group of person is making around him and all the determination a man can have when it's for somebody that he loves. All the difficulties that he has to face are hardly understandable and that put the spectator on the stress sensation that the hero feels.

Jordy Labrousse

Back to top Go down

Post by Arnaud Guibert Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:44 pm

Ahah you have to watch FIGHT CLUB. People can't live without watched this movie. This is my favourite, for many reasons.

sixth week discussion Fight-10

This movie speak about a man who decide to change his life. He has a nice job, a nice car, a nice home ... But he hate his life. He sick of his life. So he decide to change everything after the meeting of his future best friend, Tyler. I can't describe each scene without make a spoil, but I can explain you why I like this movie, and how I analyse it.

The first thing taht I like it's the main character. He do anything well, and everything in his life is perfect. Maybe not his sentimental life, but for him it's just a part of the problem. He was a good guy, who didn't say nothing. After meeting Tyler he left his job, his house, and his life. He met people at group therapy (for very sick people who have cancer, tumors, etc). It was a revelation. During the movie many sentences explain what the hero think, and how he evolve : " We buy things we don't need, with money we don't have, to impress people we don't like ". He decide to live his life like if each day was the latest, and that was the beggining of great things for him.

I like this movie because you understand what you want to understand by your point of view of the society. It's a thinking about the life goal, and more generaly the magnitude of the life. With the society standards he was like a undead, and since he decide to do what he want like if each day was the latest, he feel good and do great things.

The question in the end of the movie is : Did act like this because he's silly or because he understands the real goal of the life ?
Arnaud Guibert
Arnaud Guibert

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebbah Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:35 pm

Hello!!!
This is a comic French film about a high class family whose members are: Claude (father), Mary (the mother) and four daughters Isabelle Laure Ségolène Odile. All these members are Veneuil family. Hoping to have in-law in the same social class, Veneuil will be very surprised. Rachid wife Isabelle is a mulsuman and wife Odile David that he is a Jew, Segolene wife Chao is it a Chinese. Thus the first three girls all espoused immigrants. there is only the latest Laura. In turn she just told his parents that she will soon be married, her parents asked her the name of her fiance and that xi answered that his name charles without giving further details. Believing them, that is French will be excited by this news. But to their surprise charles is a young Ivorian African hence the title "what have we done to God?"
this film is very interesting in that it shows the diversity of people living in France but also that immigration is an asset for France and not the opposite.
So I invite you to watch this movie if you have not seen it yet, you will love it! Very Happy
this is the link to watch :http://streamingfilms.fr/questcequonfaitaubondieustreaming/

Ebbah

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebbah Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:38 pm

Ebbah wrote:Hello!!!
This is a comic French film about a high class family whose members are: Claude (father), Mary (the mother) and four daughters Isabelle Laure Ségolène Odile. All these members are Veneuil family. Hoping to have in-law in the same social class, Veneuil will be very surprised. Rachid wife Isabelle is a mulsuman and wife Odile David that he is a Jew, Segolene wife Chao is it a Chinese. Thus the first three girls all espoused immigrants. there is only the latest Laura. In turn she just told his parents that she will soon be married, her parents asked her the name of her fiance and that xi answered that his name charles without giving further details. Believing them, that is French will be excited by this news. But to their surprise charles is a young Ivorian African hence the title "what have we done to God?"
this film is very interesting in that it shows the diversity of people living in France but also that immigration is an asset for France and not the opposite.
So I invite you to watch this movie if you have not seen it yet, you will love it! Very Happy
this is the link to watch :http://streamingfilms.fr/questcequonfaitaubondieustreaming/
sixth week discussion Imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Ffr.web.img2.acsta.net%2Fpictures%2F14%2F03%2F04%2F14%2F58%2F474265.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.allocine.fr%2Ffilm%2Ffichefilm_gen_cfilm%3D222259

Ebbah

Back to top Go down

Post by Stéphane Millassaud Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:15 am

I agree with you Arnaud, Fight club is a very good film !

Personnaly I havn't a favorite film but if I will chose one film it will be: 50 nuances de grey "Seul au monde" with Tom Hanks.

It's the story of Chuck Noland who works in Fedex, during a delivery, his plane have an accident in the sea. Thank's to a small inflatable boat he joins an little island without inhabitant. His goal is to survive and fight the hunger, the fear and the loneliness.
He must learn to survive thank's to the environment: fishing and coconuts.... It's like Koh Lanta but power of ten.

Tom Hanks is an impressive actor, we only see him during 90 minutes, with his friend Wilson (a ball of volley). He transmits a lot of feeling and we have the impression to be with him.

Spoil:
Stéphane Millassaud
Stéphane Millassaud

Back to top Go down

Post by Emmanuel David Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:10 pm

Hi John !
My favorite movie is "Itinéraire d'un enfant gâté". I love this movie for several reasons.
First of all, the both principals actors are really impressive (Belmondo and Anconina).
Secondly I love the topic. Movie show how a guy who found a company, who have everything in his life (a family, money...) make the choice to stop everything.

Emmanuel David

Back to top Go down

Post by Maxime Buard Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:49 pm

Hello John,

The best movie for me is THE GREEN MILE !!! Very Happy

As long as the film is, you can easily sit through it, and by the end of the film, it will feel like you were in the prison with these characters in real time. Tom Hanks is fantastic as a prison guard who can clearly see that their newest death-row inmate is innocent. However, once you are sentenced there is no going back. Once a miracle is found in this man (John Coffey), he begins to cure things that are worth it, and let be punished the ones who deserve it. As amazing as this film is, all around, there is one question I still find myself wondering throughout all of these types of films. Why and how? These questions are never answered, but are shown in a way that makes you not even care. This film is beautifully written and perfectly cast. Michael Clarke Duncan delivers the performance of his career. There are scenes in this film that will make you quiver, and there are scenes that will keep you on the edge of your seat until you cry. Overall, it is a breathtakingly powerful film!

sixth week discussion Imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fecx.images-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FI%2F412Z12RG9WL.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.co

Maxime Buard

Back to top Go down

Post by Benjamin BARBIER Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:18 pm

Hello John,
"Goal!" is a British-American movie that was released in 2005. Kuno Becker is the main actor, it's called Santiago "Santi" Munez i the movie. This is the story of Santi, a young mexican of 10 years which is football fan. Living in a very poor family, he is forces to immigrate in the United States with his father and her grandmother. It comes in a very small area of Los Angeles where he found a small team. Years pass and he finds a gardener working. Until the day when an ordinary match with his team, an old recruiter Newcastle looking to play his grand-son, remark his talent and arranges it a try at Newcastle. Unfortunately his father is against him and steals his savings, but thanks to his grandmother who gives him all his savings, he moved to Newcastle. He knows great difficulty to adapt during the trial period. But with lot of perseverance he will succeed to win in this club and in this championship. He knows great difficulty to adapt during the trial period. But with lot of perseverance he will succeed to win in this club and in this championship
This is a movie for fans of football, but it is also an interesting film in relation to immigration and the difficulties faced by people who often have little money. In addition there is the presence of legendary players like Zidane (best player of all time, a French, not an English haha !!) or Gerrard (my favorite player who plays in Liverpool which is much better classified as Leicester ahahahahahahah !!!).

Benjamin BARBIER

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:28 pm

Benjamin BARBIER wrote:Hello John,
"Goal!" is a British-American movie that was released in 2005. Kuno Becker is the main actor, it's called Santiago "Santi" Munez i the movie. This is the story of Santi, a young mexican of 10 years which is football fan. Living in a very poor family, he is forces to immigrate in the United States with his father and her grandmother. It comes in a very small area of Los Angeles where he found a small team. Years pass and he finds a gardener working. Until the day when an ordinary match with his team, an old recruiter Newcastle looking to play his grand-son, remark his talent and arranges it a try at Newcastle. Unfortunately his father is against him and steals his savings, but thanks to his grandmother who gives him all his savings, he moved to Newcastle. He knows great difficulty to adapt during the trial period. But with lot of perseverance he will succeed to win in this club and in this championship. He knows great difficulty to adapt during the trial period. But with lot of perseverance he will succeed to win in this club and in this championship
This is a movie for fans of football, but it is also an interesting film in relation to immigration and the difficulties faced by people who often have little money. In addition there is the presence of legendary players like Zidane (best player of all time, a French, not an English haha !!) or Gerrard (my favorite player who plays in Liverpool which is much better classified as Leicester ahahahahahahah !!!).

hmmm!

I think Pele, Eusebio, messi, Maradona, Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Di Stefano, Puskas, Best, Muller, Charlton and probably many more are better than ZiZi but you can have your patriotic dream if you want.

As for French players I'd say that Cantona was the best ever, then possibly Platini with your mate fighting it out with Henry for 3rd.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Post by clement.biaunier Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:42 pm

Hi John ! Smile
I don’t have a favorite movie but infact it’s a trilogy , this one is " Les Bronzés ." I love this trilogy for several reasons.
First, the actors are impressive since they are keeping their seriousness in all situations.
Then I love the history of this trilogy because it could resume our lives. Indeed, in the first film are a tourist strip that doesn’t know who’s in as their holiday will tied a strong friendship. In the second, they find themselves a few years later and set off on an adventure that will surely episode . Finally, in the last episodes of the trilogy they meet again and can’t help as usual to get into a situation of funny.
After that it's up to you to decide, if you want a good laugh evening. Smile

clement.biaunier

Back to top Go down

Post by Raphaël Lorenzi Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:03 pm

Hi everyone.

For me one of my favorite films is the first episode of the Matrix trilogy (made by the Wachowski brothers). I think this movie is the best of the trilogy because the story is really excellent, the characters are so cool especially Neo, Morpheus and Mr Anderson and these replicas that kill.And the action scenes filmed in slow motion most unlikely, but we like it.

Raphaël Lorenzi

Back to top Go down

Post by bigben Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:13 pm

Hi john!

I don't have a favorite movie as clement but I like watching "Fiston". The raison is so simple. When I'm seeing Lorenzi and glody alias Mr "PETIT"  for the close firend ,I said me that it's the same relationship as in the film. This moovie tells how a young man should go about chating up the most beautiful girl. Antoine chamoine (glody) give a lot of advice to succes and alex (lorenzi) try to apply advices.
The moral of this moovie is really interesting because it is linked to the evolutions of the juvenile society. Many young's peopleg fall in love of the personn image without knowing.

bigben

Back to top Go down

Post by bigben Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:14 pm

i john!

I don't have a favorite movie as clement but I like watching "Fiston". The raison is so simple. When I'm seeing Lorenzi and glody alias Mr "PETIT" for the close firend ,I said me that it's the same relationship as in the film. This moovie tells how a young man should go about chating up the most beautiful girl. Antoine chamoine (glody) give a lot of advice to succes and alex (lorenzi) try to apply advices.
The moral of this moovie is really interesting because it is linked to the evolutions of the juvenile society. Many young's peopleg fall in love of the personn image without knowing.

bigben

Back to top Go down

Post by Raphaël RAYNEAU Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:45 pm

Hey

Actually I'm very found of british cinema, I like british directors from different ages (Hitchcock, Nolan, Ritchie and many else...). But of course, you already know them.

The movie I would advise you, AND FOR EVERYONE IS : 12 ANGRY MEN !
It's a quite old movie (released during 50's or 60's I dont remember...), a real MASTERPIECE !, too much suspence troughout one hour and half.

YOU HAVE TO WATCH IT

Raphaël RAYNEAU

Back to top Go down

Post by DAI Yulin Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:50 pm

Hello,

My favorite movie named Life Is Beautiful (Italian: La vita è bella). It is a 1997 Italian tragicomedy comedy-drama film directed by and starring Roberto Benigni. Benigni plays Guido Orefice, a Jewish Italian book shop owner, who must employ his fertile imagination to shield his son from the horrors of internment in a Nazi concentration camp. (According to Wikipedia Very Happy )

I'm not quite understanding the history of the Jews, but through this movie, I can feel the harsh environment at that time. In the movie, which touched me the most was the hero’s optimism when he faced to disaster. Even he knew that he would be die, he let his dear child live in a simple world…with a game, with a reward.
The beginning of the film did not appeal to me, but since the moment their children ran out from the garden, I felt I entered also into their small family.

DAI Yulin

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt.Randria Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:16 pm

Hello John,
My favorite movie of all time is ……… “White men can’t jump” starring Wesley Snipes and Woody Harrelson. It’s an American comedy released in 1992. It’s about a relationship between two street-basketball teammates, one white and the other one black.  Apart from their skin color, they seem very different, which affects the team chemistry. Nobody expect that the white boy is a gifted basketball player, and plays extremely good.

If you like basketball and want to spend a good time laughing, I do recommend to watch this movie. Even though it’s an "old" movie, as it was released in the 90's, I never tire watching it.  I appreciate this movie because it’s about stereotypes, devotion, and loyalty.
Matt.Randria
Matt.Randria

Back to top Go down

Post by Veranika MALKEVICH Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:38 pm

Hey everyone,
It's quite difficult to choose only one favorite film among all the others, that's why I'll simply say that I like movies with Colin Firth, my favorite actor: “Pride and prejudice”, “Love actually”, “Easy virtue”, “The English patient”, “Tinker, tailor, soldier, spy”, “Bridget Jones's diary”, “The King's Speech”, etc. Today I would like to tell more about the film “The English patient”.
This film is based on the novel of Michael Ondaatje, which was awarded Booker Prize. There are four main characters in this story: a burnt man (he is unrecognizable, he is called “English patient”), who doesn't remember his name; a nurse Hana; a British army sapper and a  a Canadian Intelligence Corps operative, . Englishman doesn't remember his name, but he remembers his past a little bit: all the main events in film are given in a retrospective, as remembrances of the patient.
I don't want to spoil the main line and the end of this film, I can only say that it 's really worth seeing. Even though Colin Firth is playing the secondary role in this film, hi is very remarquable. With  Kristin Ann Scott Thomas they play a married couple. What's interesting, in “Easy Virtue” they also play a married couple, but the relations between them are totally different from shown in “The English patient”.

Veranika MALKEVICH

Back to top Go down

Post by PierreBERTRAND Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:50 pm

I tought my favourite film was batman 3 because i wanted to see Marion Cotillard dead. And even in her death, she was terrible, i had stomach trouble all night long. So i guess my favourite film is "Princesse Casse Noisette". This is the story of a princess at the top of a castle, and she's just being agirl, i mean she's crying, she's doing the dishwasher, she's screaming etc. And one day she decide to go out her castle and she died lol. Very fun moovie.
PierreBERTRAND
PierreBERTRAND

Back to top Go down

Post by J-Carrere Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:55 pm

IMO the best film ever period is tenacious D The pick of destiny.
Jack black isn't only an actor he's also a great singer.
20 years ago he launched a hard rock band with is best friend kyle gass.U should obvsly watch this film if you're fond of rock music and funny scenes you should watch it
I don't rly like movies so i don't think i can give good advices to you ....

I was rly afraid because of the old man who died in soulac this week-end, i thought it was you !

J-Carrere

Back to top Go down

Post by LEI Yin Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:07 am

Hi everybody,
My favorite movie is called “Chai Jing's review: Under the Dome”, we can also think of it as a documentary or a lecture, it made by a former CCTV news anchor which links her baby's tumor to China's terrible air pollution, especially in Beijing.
This investigative documentary has already attracted unprecedented attention from ordinary common Chinese and the state organ. The film was distributed to various video websites in China on February 28. It received 117 million views in the first 24 hours, according to Tencent. It makes us feel shocked, because so many Chinese like me, did not realize that China's air pollution so serious, perhaps we see some data, like PM2.5. But what it means, what it brings harm to our health, many Chinese people are not very clear. The film also tells us the reasons of China's air pollution. The authorities in China now seem to have banned it. This film has English subtitles on YouTube, if you are interested to see, this is the link to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6X2uwlQGQM

LEI Yin

Back to top Go down

Post by xinyuan Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:52 am

Hi John !
Life of Pi is a film which is really worth watching.
The whole story begins in Montreal where it also ends. A writer seeking his inspiration hears something legendary occurring to P who told him an incredible story: accompanied by a Bengal tiger called Richard Parker, a 17 year-old boy succeeded in sailing across the Pacific and arriving in Mexico. But things didn’t stop here. Then Pi told him another story which is similar to the former one but changed animal roles into humans.
In my point of view, I think the second is the truth, the first is just a metaphor. However, the two stories related to so much, such as religion, humanity, reality and social law which make the story philosophical and complicated. In fact, Richard Parker is a real person who was eaten by his fellowmen after they encountered the marine in 1884. And in the second story of Pi, he ate the dead body of his mother, well, in my opinion it’s an instinct of seeking survival under the hopeless situation.
As far as I am concerned, the most expressive words in this film is: Life is a story, you can choose your story. However, a story with God is a better story.
xinyuan
xinyuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next