The Second Topic

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Second Topic

Post by Alex Lasserre on Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:07 pm

Admin wrote:
WANG RUI wrote:Anothe topic that I don't know much about. I'm not a fan of the hero things. But if I have to choose one, I prefer Marvel.For DC, I like the character Batman,but not the story, it is too gloomy for me. And the most important reason is that I really really hate Arrow. The same annoying old story, it is silly that the hero paint some green color on his face before he go to save the others. On the contrary, the works produced by Marvel are more interesting, like SHIELD, X-men. So I choose Marvel.

Rui, I've put an alternative up.

Agree with Arrow comment - seems to be the same story every week.

Definitely not, Arrow is great even though last season wasn't that much...
avatar
Alex Lasserre

Posts : 73
Join date : 2015-09-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Second Topic

Post by JulieLhommede on Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:55 pm

Hello everybody,

Well, I can not give you my opinion, because I dont know this guys !


JulieLhommede

Posts : 22
Join date : 2015-09-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Second Topic

Post by Alexandre Baudet on Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:19 pm

To my mind, that's a difficult choice because I like some Marvel’s movies and some movies of DC. But I have a small preference for DC comics. In fact, in Marvel (I only like Iron Man) I think that the movies have too many special effects and histories have no sense. That’s my opinion especially for Avengers.
I think that DC’s movies are close to reality. Dark knight for example seems less coarse and more thoughtful.

Then, I think that Marvel is most popular, most of people know marvel than dc comics. This explains greater number of advertising for marvel’s movies.

Alexandre Baudet

Posts : 26
Join date : 2015-10-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Second Topic

Post by Admin on Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:26 pm

JulieLhommede wrote:Hello everybody,

Well, I can not give you my opinion, because I dont know this guys !


So Julie, there's an alternative topic for you to comment on. Wink
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 2596
Join date : 2015-01-02

View user profile http://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Re: The Second Topic

Post by Aurélie Leclerc on Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:46 pm

Yara, Halle Berry's catwoman was VERY controversial :-) she even admitted that she was ashamed of this movie... personally I liked it (so now I am a bit ashamed... just kidding ;-) ), I liked the fact that they created a backstory for catwoman without Batman and all the story about the origin of her abilities. It's true that she was asked to play too sexy and sometimes it looked like a parody...
However, I really liked Anne Hathaway in the same role because it was more realistic (ok except for fighting in high heel but as they found a really good catchphrase for that it's ok). She really recreated this duality of the character who is fighting between her will of total independence and her conscious. I also really like the actress so...
But Alex I agree with you : Halle Berry is just the very best in Storm ! I have very high expectations for the girl who will play her younger version...

Aurélie Leclerc

Posts : 51
Join date : 2015-09-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Second Topic

Post by Alex Lasserre on Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:56 pm

Alexandre Baudet wrote:To my mind, that's a difficult choice because I like some Marvel’s movies and some movies of DC. But I have a small preference for DC comics. In fact, in Marvel (I only like Iron Man) I think that the movies have too many special effects and histories have no sense. That’s my opinion especially for Avengers.
I think that DC’s movies are close to reality. Dark knight for example seems less coarse and more thoughtful.

Then, I think that Marvel is most popular, most of people know marvel than dc comics. This explains greater number of advertising for marvel’s movies.

Dude don't even look the upcoming DC movies in this case. Because DC's upcoming are far from being realistic and actually the Dark Knight Trilogy is an exception because Nolan stayed in the Batman mythology without mentioning the rest of the DCverse.

Aurélie : Yeah, I haven't look at the cast of the next X-men movie but I think it will be great, I really enjoyed the previous two and I have high hopes in this one ^^
avatar
Alex Lasserre

Posts : 73
Join date : 2015-09-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Second Topic

Post by Eloïse B on Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:42 pm

Okay nothing original in my reply, sorry guys! ^^' My opinion could be summed up like this: Batman is the best (DC), but Marvel has more awesome superheroes. So Marvel has the best universe, but if I had to choose one particular hero it would be Batman. I know it's already been said, but it shows the authors and directors have done a great (better) job on Batman and some Marvel heroes, as they succeeded in attracting and interesting lots of people.
We almost all agree on what movies are good, proof that the guys who worked on the comics and movies were geniuses! (btw I don't read comics, there are so many of them, in so many different collections and stories, it feels like if you haven't started reading at the beginning and continued since then, you'll never be able to catch up...).
And Alexandre B, it may be the contrary: we may know Marvel better because they advertise more. If DC had the same budget as Marvel and wanted to advertise as much (with merchandising, new movies, various ads, books, etc.) they could do it and we would know them as well. I'm not saying there is a will to be less known than Marvel, but it could be a [strategic] choice not to be as present as Marvel on screen and on ads, and to favor their biggest fans instead of us, the non-experts (here I except Alex L Wink ). It can be a way to make fans feel like they are part of a special community.
Or DC may simply not be as good as Marvel. ^^

(and the Lego movie was sooo funny!!)

Eloïse B

Posts : 60
Join date : 2015-09-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Second Topic

Post by CamilaCristanchoDuque on Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:55 am

To be honest, I have never been very interested in comics and either in action stories, so definitely DC or Marvel comics are not my thing. However, I have to accept that there are 2 remarkable points that catches my eye, in the first place their extraordinary technical and creative aspects and in the second place, the significantly influence that these two companies have on the masses.

With respect to the style of sketch and the aesthetic in general, I think I prefer Marvel because my graphic aesthetic as industrial designer is very clean, quite minimalist and functionalist. Even if it is very difficult to speak about “minimalism” in the comic’s world I consider marvel’s style is more light, fresh, spotless and modern.

Likewise, I find the stories of Marvel more interesting. The characters are more unconventional and futuristic, they love the technology and I really enjoy the idea of creating new worlds. I truly admire the capacity, the ability and the talent of the comic artists because high levels of work and effort are required to create such detailed worlds, with these advanced gadgets, systems of transport, weapons and, the most impressive for me, the fact that they make all this consistent and even functional. If this is not industrial design, then I do not know what it is

Lastly, I think it is very interesting the dynamics around the industry of the comic. it is not only the comic book or the film like an isolated event, it is more like a lifestyle. This industry move a lot of people of all ages all around the world. Regular people, collectors, moviegoer, geeks, etc. These companies offer a wide range of products as books, films, collections objects like T-shirts or caps, collectible figures, costumes, etc. The marketing and communication strategies and the logistic of these companies must be insane… What’s the secret for their success? I don’t know but making this analysis made me increase my interest for this industry.


CamilaCristanchoDuque

Posts : 40
Join date : 2015-09-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Second Topic

Post by Admin on Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:00 pm

Do "normal, balanced" people grow out of superhero interest?

Is it just childish?
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 2596
Join date : 2015-01-02

View user profile http://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Re: The Second Topic

Post by Manon Lopez on Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:35 pm

Marvel or DC? First of all thank you the girls for this subject, I think I’ll spend so much time to find information on that and obviously for find my words in English...
I saw some movies of each of these two companies of comics and I think that the difference reside in the fact that DC comics is more in an imaginary world (with kindly persons) than Marvel who is more darkness. My preference goes moreover for Marvel, because I would like to have magic powers as Xmen and I think that everyone want to have magic powers too but I’m not saying that every time that I touch a spider I imagine that I’m going to be the next spider woman.
Marvel is more in the real life with real problems for example Peter Parker from Spiderman, is not necessarily the same case for DC comics that’s more in the imaginary and fantastic.
Honestly I don’t really find that there is a big difference between both, both are pleasant to look, but it is a little less difficult to understand the stories of Marvel than DC comics, effectively for me Marvel is more logical.
These two American companies were created in the Second World War and reflect the cult of heroes who fight the Nazis at that time
Because we ask me to choose, I am going to stand on the side of Marvel for all the arguments presented previously. I don’t know enough the subject but I like Xmen.

Manon Lopez

Posts : 35
Join date : 2015-10-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Second Topic

Post by Alex Lasserre on Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:30 am

Admin wrote:Do "normal, balanced" people grow out of superhero interest?

Is it just childish?

I think people who keep an strong interest in superheroes growing up can still be "normal and balanced". According to me this interest can be and is without a doubt multigenerational. It's clearer in comic's book version because it's far from our BD. Even though the two might seems alike, we can largely admit that a lot of BD are aimed to the kids (Lucky Luke, Astérix, The Smurfs...) even though some are targeted for adults. The thing with the comic book universe is that it's hardly aimed at children, no matter whether it's DC or Marvel, they both have stories we wouldn't want our kids to read. For example, in The Killing Joke, which is by the way on of the greatest comics I've read, it's clearly implied that the Joker have raped Barbara Gordon, the commisionner's daugther, after shooting her which will have huge consequences for her because she ends up being in a wheelchair. Later on in that same comic book, The Joker and his goons capture Commisionner Gordon and force him to look at picture of his bloodied and naked daughter.

Because they are comic book that I wouldn't say that having an interest in superheroes is childish, especially because adults can also look for something in superheroes. Not to mention the values some of these characters have and the fact that people want to share these values.

I would also like to come back on some points that were interesting in the previous comments. Especially in Manon's post. I disagree with you when you say that Marvel is darker than DC, I think the Killing Joke that I've talked about is a good example of how dark DC can be, and the Joker himself is probably the darkest character ever created. However, I agree with the fact that DC is an imaginary world (people aren't kind) but the cities are not the ones we can visit even if they are strongly insipired by american cities. What I think is cool with Marvel is that for the biggest part, action take place in real places, especially in NYC. And finally, I agree with you having superpower would be awesome !
avatar
Alex Lasserre

Posts : 73
Join date : 2015-09-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Second Topic

Post by Admin on Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:53 am

I don't think I equate comics with rape stories as Adult - at least not in the sense I meant. Perhaps I should have used the word "Mature". TBH a story based on rape would put me off reading - in fact I know that I wouldn't.
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 2596
Join date : 2015-01-02

View user profile http://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Re: The Second Topic

Post by Yara Bassil on Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:26 pm

Admin wrote:I don't think I equate comics with rape stories as Adult - at least not in the sense I meant. Perhaps I should have used the word "Mature". TBH a story based on rape would put me off reading - in fact I know that I wouldn't.

yes i have read an article about this on FlipBoard around 7 months ago. They showed very disturbing pictures and explained how can this affect young comic readers.
in fact if i remember well, the comic was written in the 80's, and according to the article it created one of the most hated debates about the joker back then. And I know that this might sound weird, but there are actually people defending the Joker by commenting that he would not be capable of rape anyways, and others indicating that he already has raped someone before in an other comic... ughh I have already hated the joker way before this article.
I just wanted to say this to comic lovers: it is true that you can interpret things based on our own experiences, BUT it might be easy for you to point it out as a rape and for others to consider it as an artwork...
Anyways, i will try to find you this article and send it. have a nice sunday everyone

oh and i wanted to Quote Alex's comment as well but i didn't know how to multi-quote... Cool

Yara Bassil

Posts : 123
Join date : 2015-09-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Second Topic

Post by Alex Lasserre on Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:31 pm

Well, I get your point and to be honest, I wouldn't want to read someting mostly based on rape. It's not the case of The Killing Joke, even though it's implied, they are neither visual of the scene or any confirmation at least in the book. But I believe it can be pretty tough to read considering all that. I think the Joker is a great character, probably the greatest vilains of all, but his actions are despicable and I can't in anyway relate to it.
avatar
Alex Lasserre

Posts : 73
Join date : 2015-09-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Second Topic

Post by Admin on Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:00 pm

Yara Bassil wrote:
Admin wrote:I don't think I equate comics with rape stories as Adult - at least not in the sense I meant. Perhaps I should have used the word "Mature". TBH a story based on rape would put me off reading - in fact I know that I wouldn't.

yes i have read an article about this on FlipBoard around 7 months ago. They showed very disturbing pictures and explained how can this affect young comic readers.
in fact if i remember well, the comic was written in the 80's, and according to the article it created one of the most hated debates about the joker back then. And I know that this might sound weird, but there are actually people defending the Joker by commenting that he would not be capable of rape anyways, and others indicating that he already has raped someone before in an other comic... ughh I have already hated the joker way before this article.
I just wanted to say this to comic lovers: it is true that you can interpret things based on our own experiences, BUT it might be easy for you to  point it out as a rape and for others to consider it as an artwork...
Anyways, i will try to find you this article and send it. have a nice sunday everyone

oh and i wanted to Quote Alex's comment as well but i didn't know how to multi-quote... Cool

Isn't there a button on the post for multi-quote?
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 2596
Join date : 2015-01-02

View user profile http://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Re: The Second Topic

Post by Admin on Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:08 pm

Alex Lasserre wrote:Well, I get your point and to be honest, I wouldn't want to read someting mostly based on rape. It's not the case of The Killing Joke, even though it's implied, they are neither visual of the scene or any confirmation at least in the book. But I believe it can be pretty tough to read considering all that. I think the Joker is a great character, probably the greatest vilains of all, but his actions are despicable and I can't in anyway relate to it.

Oh okay. I misunderstood (not because of your English). I think the Joker is a great villain and was particularly well interpreted by Heath Ledger in the movie.

I watch movies and read books for entertainment which is why I wouldn't want graphic rape or even graphic sex in what I watch/read.

Back to the child/Adult comment. In England Comics are aimed at children - they are seen as a way to get children reading more and a link/step between children's books and "adult" books, I realise that is not the same for all comics and particularly in France (and Japan) where the adult audience is much bigger.

Are DC and Marvel targetting both audiences with the same comics or are there different comics for the different audiences?
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 2596
Join date : 2015-01-02

View user profile http://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Re: The Second Topic

Post by audreyl on Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:06 pm

I can't choose between Marvel or DC comics, because for me it's the same..
I watched and enjoyed movies spider man, 4 fantastics, man of steel and Batman but this is science fiction and I preferred romantic comedies or adventure films.

audreyl

Posts : 11
Join date : 2015-09-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Second Topic

Post by Admin on Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:10 pm

audreyl wrote:I can't choose between Marvel or DC comics, because for me it's the same..
I watched and enjoyed movies spider man, 4 fantastics, man of steel and Batman but this is science fiction and I preferred romantic comedies or adventure films.

boo! Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 2596
Join date : 2015-01-02

View user profile http://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Re: The Second Topic

Post by Alex Lasserre on Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:25 pm

Admin wrote:
Alex Lasserre wrote:Well, I get your point and to be honest, I wouldn't want to read someting mostly based on rape. It's not the case of The Killing Joke, even though it's implied, they are neither visual of the scene or any confirmation at least in the book. But I believe it can be pretty tough to read considering all that. I think the Joker is a great character, probably the greatest vilains of all, but his actions are despicable and I can't in anyway relate to it.

Oh okay. I misunderstood (not because of your English). I think the Joker is a great villain and was particularly well interpreted by Heath Ledger in the movie.

I watch movies and read books for entertainment which is why I wouldn't want graphic rape or even graphic sex in what I watch/read.

Back to the child/Adult comment. In England Comics are aimed at children - they are seen as a way to get children reading more and a link/step between children's books and "adult" books, I realise that is not the same for all comics and particularly in France (and Japan) where the adult audience is much bigger.

Are DC and Marvel targetting both audiences with the same comics or are there different comics for the different audiences?

It's a pretty tough question, I think that comics aren't exactly aimed at children, because they are very complex and that a vast majority is pretty dark. Death is often implicate in the stories, in Batman for example with Jason Todd, who is the second Robin, when he is beaten to death by The Joker or also in Spiderman with the death of Gwen Stacy. I believe that the way they have found to also target kids is animated tv shows. I remember watching Spiderman, Batman and many other superheroes animated shows when I was younger, and I think this is the way Marvel and DC managed to target both audiences.
avatar
Alex Lasserre

Posts : 73
Join date : 2015-09-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Second Topic

Post by Marjorie Braud on Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:06 pm

First of all, I want to say I’m not a fan of superheroes, so my knowledge of that subject is very limited.
If I must to choose between one of them, I can say the super heroes of DC are more important for me because they have marked my childhood with for example Superman and Batman. Ok, I must admit it’s the fault of my brother because I always wanted to do the same things than him.
Concerning the Marvel’s superheroes, I don’t know them well. The only film I watched of Marvel is X-Men. I have loved it a lot but it’s not a film which I want to see a second way.
However, I actually think that Marvel’s movies have the most successful, particularly because the actors who are playing superheroes are renowned. In fact, all the movies are successes. Moreover, all of them are more or less resents, that’s why the children can identified themselves at these superheroes.
To conclude, I maybe missed a big thing but I only know the cartoons and the movies and I had never read any of the comics.

Marjorie Braud

Posts : 22
Join date : 2015-09-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Second Topic

Post by Romane Aubinel on Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:03 pm

Hello everyone

For me, I like as much DC and Marvel. There is no better or worse, there is just something for everyone.

Both brands have a style of their own and fortunately for when all superhero films resemble our enthusiasm certainly decrease.

I think the highlight of Marvel is to be "family" and that of DC is to be more "dark" and perhaps more realistic plans because Marvel superheroes with super powers.

After so really I should choose it would obviously, DC. Why DC? Because Batman! Seriously, Batman is the most charismatic hero I've ever seen Smile

Good Sunday !

Romane Aubinel

Posts : 12
Join date : 2015-09-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Second Topic

Post by Jamel O on Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:01 pm

Hello Everyone cheers

Marvel vs DC Comics ? I chose Tintin and Asterix ! lol!

More seriously , l love both , the darkness of Batman in Gotham City , the sexiest cyclops  Catwoman , Superman...
However i love also the Marvel Universe with SpiderMan , Hulk written by Stan Lee the genius !

Both universes rocks and still cool , it's very difficult to make a choice but we can mark a difference between them is DC Comics promotes heroes like Superman (When Superman will help Africans ? Lex Luthor? has been ! Laughing )
According to me , Marvel  Universe is more for geek people... at least initially !
In fact , Peter Parker was a geek before  being bitten by a spider , most of geeks people  in 60's saw in Spiderman some of their life, he wasn't not cool !
(News : Geeks , Nerd wasn't cool in 60's unlike today!)
Anyway , If I had a choice to make,  it would be Marvel because i'm an absolute fan of SpiderMan !
but i love both universes and also the French-Belgian comic book with Tintin , Asterix, Lucky Luke.

Very complicated subject ! Thanks Laure and Galle , yes i said Galle ! Smile

Next Subject : Why Leicester City will never win the Barclays Premier League !
Glory Man United Mr Cox the Fox Smile

Good evening everyone Smile !
avatar
Jamel O

Posts : 54
Join date : 2015-10-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Second Topic

Post by marinealbertpieri on Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:06 pm

Hello batman's groupis, there are batman begins tonight on channel ten !
ENJOY Cool

marinealbertpieri

Posts : 32
Join date : 2015-10-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Second Topic

Post by Yara Bassil on Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:20 pm

Next topic will be shocking

Yara Bassil

Posts : 123
Join date : 2015-09-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Second Topic

Post by Admin on Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:38 am

marinealbertpieri wrote:Hello batman's groupis, there are batman begins tonight on channel ten !
ENJOY Cool

I saw that and thinking of you lot watched it.

Batman is what we all want to be. Embarassed
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 2596
Join date : 2015-01-02

View user profile http://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Re: The Second Topic

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum