UP English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TED: John Legend: "Redemption song"

2 posters

Go down

TED: John Legend: "Redemption song" Empty TED: John Legend: "Redemption song"

Post by FOURNIER Corentin Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:24 pm

Hi,

I watched a video concerning the reabilitation of prisoners. Actually, John Legend, an américan black singer, explains prisoners haves the right to be forgiven and to have another chance in the civil society.
In a second time, John gives the floor to James,incarcerated in Saint Quentin. He say in prison there have a lot of people who works everyday to have a better life after their release. Then, James interpret a peace untitle "Where I live". One of the sentence which are more interresting in this song in my opinion is " I live in a world that kill people who kill people in order to teach people that killing people is wrong ". In think it illustrates well  contradiction of death penalty. A second idea witch brings my attention is that freedom isn't a place but a mind setting.
John Legend concluded this video with the song of Bob Marley " Redemption song". This piece strenghthen the peace and forgiveness message transmit by those men.

Last edited by FOURNIER Corentin on Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:53 pm; edited 3 times in total

FOURNIER Corentin

Back to top Go down

TED: John Legend: "Redemption song" Empty Re: TED: John Legend: "Redemption song"

Post by Admin Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:52 pm

I'd have thought that our prison system shows that rehabilitation doesn't work. Prison's are full of repeat offenders.

Maybe we should consider sentencing as punishment instead.

when my parent's home was broken into and robbed, they felt violated and worried to go back into the house for a long time. The perps were never caught but if they were I don't know if they'd be happy with rehabilitation at the tax payer's expense. Certainly for murder it would take a strongly principled person to be happy with anything but punishment.

Our society maybe in the wrong with inequality and lack of education and jobs which could cause crime but I've not seen any proof that the expensive rehabilitation programmes we have in prisons actually work.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum