UP English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Week 5 - Social Networks.

+17
Anas Akrache
Gwendoline Borrego
hb
Ali Dmn
Steve Bado
Juliette Bouba-Olga
Mathilde Brandy
Aymen B
Victor Brunet
Lisa Amari
CLOCHARD Alexis
Eric CHOLLET
DjabirAttoumani
Marine ARTAUD
guillaume-baudiniere
Joseph Boursier
Admin
21 posters

Go down

Week 5 - Social Networks. Empty Week 5 - Social Networks.

Post by Admin Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:50 pm

Do your thing.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Week 5 - Social Networks. Empty Re: Week 5 - Social Networks.

Post by Joseph Boursier Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:22 pm

Social networks have some qualities and faults:

-Some qualities, it's a good way to :
Make contact, sociabilize or discover people easily.
Promote your creations, obtain recognition.
Communicate with friends, classmate (work in team with a facebook conversation)
Raise awareness of environmental problems or other good causes (also bad ones...).
Find a job
Encourage debate, discussions...
Openess to the world

-Some Faults, like the :
Reduction of our personal productivity
Bullying, harassment
Waste of time (because in some case, people just waste time on social networks platforms)
Acces to false informations (some people base their ideas only on social network informations..)
Lost of a job (if you share something unsuitable)
Perpetual presence of pubs, trolls, offensive contents...
Vulnerability of young people on some platforms

This is just a quick list, i list the first ones that come in my mind but there is obviously others aspects to social networks. In my opinion social network have to be used with full knowledge and full consent of this content. It's a new place of marketing and communication for compagnies (i dont even talk about the data war), when you go on social network, you become a target. Personally i just use them to communicate easily with Messenger or to being inspired with Pinterest. There is really too much negativ aspects to qualify Social Network as a revolution, i think it would not be so bad if they didn't exist , it's just a new trend, maybe ephemeral. pig albino elephant cat rendeer

Joseph Boursier

Back to top Go down

Post by guillaume-baudiniere Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:37 pm

I think that today social networks are important. Because it brings people together. And is useful when people are far between them.
But it will not bring the contac face to face.
If social networks take up too much space, perssones may become isolated.
Either for a good use, it is necessary a good time management to spend on these networks.

guillaume-baudiniere

Back to top Go down

Post by Marine ARTAUD Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:32 pm

I think social networks are important too in the actual world.
I have lots of social networks and I spend time above in the morning by brushing my teeth, or the night before sleeping. It's important because it's create link between people. We can find or speek with friends or not even if they live far. Like Joseph saids, social networks sociabilizes and we can discuss or debate.
But, we don't have to spend too much time on the social networks because it's possible to become an addictive person.
Today, social networks take place in the world.

Marine ARTAUD

Back to top Go down

Post by DjabirAttoumani Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:49 am

And if that, manage to the end of physical contact ?
DjabirAttoumani
DjabirAttoumani

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric CHOLLET Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:02 pm

Hi !
First i disagree with you Joseph ! I think Social networks have revolutionized the world ! They change our habits (2 billions Facebook’s users !!! 30% of the planet), it’s a new way to inquire, to communicate, everithing is instantaneous…we can always keep the contact with friends and family. So for me it can be considered as a revolution !
Like Marine i spend a lot of time on Social Network, i like to be connected with my friends and watched economic, sport or general informations.
A lot of new jobs were created like community manager, social media developer, watchman…that’s a good thing !

However we have to be careful … Social Networks can be dangerous. In the past, If you were harassed by someone at school you were peaceful at home but now you can also be harass on social networks …it can have dramatic consequences…
Finally some people speak more easily when they are hidden behind there computer, more easily to insult…so stupid… so we have to do attention with children and we have to educate them before they create an account !

Have a good day !
Eric CHOLLET
Eric CHOLLET

Back to top Go down

Post by CLOCHARD Alexis Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:32 pm

Hi !
First of all, i think that social networks are very relevant for everybody because many companies use social networks to advertise, this is revolutionary and changes our lifestyle.
It also helps to keep in touch with friends who are away from us, our family etc.
However, i think this is still dangerous for people who use them intensively. In addition, personally I am against exposing his life, his photos, his relatives etc. on social networks.
For me, the best social network remains ... human contact ... face to face.

To conclude, social networks are to be used with care.
CLOCHARD Alexis
CLOCHARD Alexis

Back to top Go down

Post by Lisa Amari Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:03 pm

These last years social networks have revolutionized our world . Everyone is connected with everyone else . Personnally I can’t spend one day without checking my social networks.
The one I prefer the best is Twitter , you can comment the latest news , exchange ideas with the other persons etc.. .
In fact I have become quickly addicted to twitter.Nevertheless ,with social networks like a lot of things ,we must have a limit . In fact I think you must be a certain age to begin to use the social networks. Parents should be careful and strict with their children about these ones .
You never really know who is behind the computer and it can be dangerous .
The Social networks have become a place where persons can say anything they want and sometimes it can affect us and can lead us to noxious consequences. So it’s very important to always remember that the social networks aren’t the real life , it’s just virtual . it’s ok to relax , to exchanges ideas with the other people through the social networks , but never forget that there is a limit . You should be always careful about the persons with whom you talk : People aren’t all honest friendly and good .

Lisa Amari

Back to top Go down

Post by Victor Brunet Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:23 pm

The social networks are advantageous on some points as for example to communicate, share, inquire, to get closer, to remedy the solitude.

But they are also harmful as for example in terms of intimidation, vengeance, pedophilia, cybercrime. But can be also harmful for the professional life, as well as for your private life.

In a more and more individualistic world, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Google (more by invitation), Linked In or blogs, to name only those, bring people together, to the professionals, to find suppliers or customers... But some show themselves so much that they become almost naked on the Web. By thinking of it well, do you really need 200, 500 or 5000 friends? Because the friendship, it is much more than a face on a computer.

Victor Brunet

Back to top Go down

Post by Aymen B Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:25 pm

Hello, after reading all the replies, I see that the pros and the cons of social networks have been said, and I almost share the same opinions.

But after reading Victor post, I came to ask myself, is there a difference between real-life friendships and online friendships ?

I think that there's different answers that can be made.
First we can say that there's a difference in term of memories, the real life friends share unique and unforgettable memories together. I can also say that trust take more than a like on a selfie to be established.
Secondly, today teen users of social networks have more and more online friends, I don't see this as a threat because if there's a will of friendship both ways, you can still have a confident and have good conversations online. it can last a long time and then even move to the real life.
Finaly, it will always stay as a big difference in the unicity of the memories in real life and online life. Or maybe it isn't the same scale of time passing by.

But then I can say that bothways it is reflective, that mean that real life and online life are both based on the same principle :
In real life, we meet people, some of them stick on, some pass by, and the ones that stick around could, with the passage of time, get into the inner circle of our friendship. Others could be replaced or rejected, either by choice or chance. And this goes on for the online friendship.
And like Ralph Emerson said - “The only way to have a friend is to be one.”
Aymen B
Aymen B

Back to top Go down

Post by Mathilde Brandy Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:22 pm

Joseph Boursier wrote:Social networks have some qualities and faults:

-Some qualities, it's a good way to :
Make contact, sociabilize or discover people easily.
Promote your creations, obtain recognition.
Communicate with friends, classmate (work in team with a facebook conversation)
Raise awareness of environmental problems or other good causes (also bad ones...).
Find a job
Encourage debate, discussions...
Openess to the world

-Some Faults, like the :
Reduction of our personal productivity
Bullying, harassment
Waste of time (because in some case, people just waste time on social networks platforms)
Acces to false informations (some people base their ideas only on social network informations..)
Lost of a job (if you share something unsuitable)
Perpetual presence of pubs, trolls, offensive contents...
Vulnerability of young people on some platforms

This is just a quick list, i list the first ones that come in my mind but there is obviously others aspects to social networks. In my opinion social network have to be used with full knowledge and full consent of this content. It's a new place of marketing and communication for compagnies (i dont even talk about the data war), when you go on social network, you become a target. Personally i just use them to communicate easily with Messenger or to being inspired with Pinterest. There is really too much negativ aspects to qualify Social Network as a revolution, i think it would not be so bad if they didn't exist , it's just a new trend, maybe ephemeral. pig albino elephant cat rendeer

Hi Joseph,
I'm completly agree with you and to me you said all the things about this topic.
However, I don't quite agree with your last sentence: I think that social medias are not a trend or there are not ephemeral beacause nowadays, all things (or, a lot of) are based on social medias: communication, publication, reaction, ideas, development strategies ... even our homework because we're on a social media Rolling Eyes . So, to me, in the years to come many things will be based on social networks and we will not be able to do without them, or those who want to do without them will be designated as marginal. More than a trend, it will be the prerequisite to be seen as "normal".

Mathilde Brandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Juliette Bouba-Olga Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:08 am

Hello!

I think social networks are important today. Indeed, a lot of people use social networks, for the private life, for the relations with the other people even for the professional life (with linkedin for exemmple) ! They're everywhere !
It could be have problems with the data, because the social networks possess a lot of informations on everybody. That's why more and more people criticize the social networks, but they use them ! For me, there are positive and negative aspects and we need to be careful about our private life. Because sometimes people are persecuted on the social networks and horrible things can arrive.

Juliette Bouba-Olga

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Bado Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:20 pm

I agree with you and for that it would be necessary that the designers more orient their policies on the respect of its users private life.

Steve Bado

Back to top Go down

Post by Aymen B Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:49 pm

So we share the same opinion about the pivacy policies.

But ! it's also important to note that most social networks are prohibited to children under 13 years. They respect the American legislation which prohibits the collection of personal data on young people under 13 years of age.
now in Europe the problem is that there is no text setting an age limit for all countries, each country being free to decide the age limit itself.
On the other hand the limit age in France is the same as the united states.

But creating an account with false information is easy to do... So it is easy to break the conditions of use of social networks !! So parents have to be on the look out !

And sadly, children under the age of 13 are vulnerable both because of the comments and other content posted by other people, but also because of the content they put on the site themselves, including personal information and photos shared publicly and can be exposed to malicious intentions...
Aymen B
Aymen B

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Dmn Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:47 pm

Numerous points (listed above), allows us to say that a social network is a powerful tool. Obviously, social network depending on how people use it can be beneficial for the society/population but it can in the opposite be extremely dangerous.

Hence, a point of this topic can be closely related to what we said in week 6’s topic. This is to say that it can be a very influential area. Indeed, indirectly a publication of an unknown, a celebrity, a company or even a friend shared on the social network can have an impact on the behaviour of a person.
Moreover, misinformation can be quickly spread throughout the chain which can lead to a pretty dangerous effect at the end. This situation is very often observable during attacks. False information can circulate during crises and people without the confirmation of the information can start panicking and a systemic phenomenon can be provoked where people worsen the actual situation. On the other hand, it can permit to compare different media sources. Thus, we can forge our proper point of view by reading the different posts.

Another point that we can quote, a quality often neglected, is the ability/power for social networks namely to expand start-ups. In the past days, it was complicated to launch your company and especially to get known and gain brand recognition quickly. However, in our days, the trend has changed. Indeed, it’s has become easier/cheaper for a small/new company/player to expand rapidly. Hence, if tomorrow you want to launch your company in a town, the use of a social network can be a great advantage. Take it in account and try to take profit of this communication form. It permits to get in touch with a maximum of people for a low cost and without spending a lot of time. Thus, this tool should be considered in a development/expansion strategy.

Furthermore, social networks permit to strengthen well settled companies too. Otherwise, companies understood the importance of these new communication channels that is why to increase their customer base and improve their image, they constantly need to develop their network and try to create a real community. They also have to adapt to the changing habits provoked by social network in order to attract the zapping generation. Hence, more and more people tend to change their point of view extremely in no time. What was appreciated before can be reject overnight… People have a new way of consuming. They need to consume right away, to illustrate a publication longer than 2-3 minutes is rapidly zapped…

Last point that I want to share (a point that you should meditate  scratch  on if you don’t believe in the true power of social networks) is the capacity for a social network to create large-scale actions going from a social movement, to a simple flash mob, to uprising, to the Arab Spring Protest but also to what we more recently saw with the hashtag “#balancetonporc”.

To conclude, I will qualify social networks as an imprisoned freedom. This is to say that even though we have the impression that we are free, the system quickly goes against us and we are locked in it, we are finally controlled by greater forces than us.
Ali Dmn
Ali Dmn

Back to top Go down

Post by hb Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:18 pm

When I was a kid, my first account was on MSN, nearly everyone had an account. In fact at the the end of our holidays, we exchanged our usernames and for that we had to have a paper with us to write them all. MSN was created in 1999 and was the first social network in the world.
But when Facebook arrived in 2004, MSN disappeared.

Today, Facebook has almost 2 billion users. Nowadays everyone has a mobile phone, everyone is connected. Social networks takes a big part of our time, even if nothing is happening on the net, our brain is programmed to check them several times in the day. Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, etc are an obsession now for many peoples.
I have an impression that we pass more time with our connected objects than our family, unfortunately.

As said in publications above, social networks have many advantages, we can talk with someone in the other part of the world instantly at a lower cost.
Social networks also serve to spread informations,  thanks to that, we are informed of everything that happens next to us or even thousands of miles away from us.
But we have to be aware that a bad side of the social network exists.

Don't forget that you are what you share in nowadays Smile

hb

Back to top Go down

Post by Aymen B Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:47 pm

for myself, I am happy about some advantages provided by social media.
I can stay in touch with my childhood friends, falimy and other friends that I really appreciate from many differents countries. And for free haha.
So I take advantage of social media, bacause I also stay awarned of important news that will not be shared in the mass media (social media is an instrument of mass media that can harm our mind if we don't know how to use it).
I also use it to follow peoples and channels that inspire me and motivate me to achieve my goals.
So we have to use social media in a smart way to develop ourselves.
Be the ruler with a mastermind and not the brainless ruled one.
I totally agree with you Ali when you say that it's a powerfull tool for start ups and businesses, that allows them to develop and communicate easily and that also create new jobs like the community managment.
Social media does not prevent me to give time to people around me. And I made the experiance to live with and without social media and I can say for myself that there is a lot of useless things in social media but you can orchestrate the good things together ! and that's how you win that bunch of bullshit out there.

So I think that there's a great fear in our society is the fear of others opinion.
If you follow the crowd in social media, you will end up no further than the crowd.
At the moment that you no longer fear others opinion you will walk in your own path and get somewhere where no one has ever been.

Aymen B
Aymen B

Back to top Go down

Post by Aymen B Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:09 pm

I recommad the serie Mr Robot that criticize social media and also mass media in our society.
here's a scene of the Serie that tells a lot :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPYCtErvMyA
Aymen B
Aymen B

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwendoline Borrego Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:45 pm

The social networks are practical to communicate with somebody, for advertising, for information and many other things you have already said.
But they are also dangerous with fake news, harassment, wickednesses etc.

Many of you talked about relation between people and the rapper Prince EA made a really interesting video above :
http://www.gentside.com/r%e9seau-social/les-reseaux-sociaux-nous-rapprochent-ils-vraiment-cette-video-donne-la-reponse_art65359.html

Gwendoline Borrego

Back to top Go down

Post by Aymen B Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:20 am

I know this video, haha the rhymes are so LIT and the lyrics are so touching.
He made a great job and revealed real studies that has been made about the negative impact of social networks. Like the average person spend 4 years of his life look to screens and cellphones, and the average attention spent by adult that plummeted.
For me it is a very good video that awaken peoples that ignores impact of social network and anti socialisation, he focus on the negative effects at the begining, then in the middle he begins to point out the good way and tells people how to take advantage of social networks : " take control or be controlled " !
but he didn't focus more on the control theory or principle ! it would be good to highligh that !
Aymen B
Aymen B

Back to top Go down

Post by Anas Akrache Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:59 am

For many people of this day, visiting these sites are a part of their daily routine. Sure, it’s a good way to keep in contact with your friends, but can it be too much of a good thing? In my opinion, social networking sites are beneficial if used in certain ways, but can also be detrimental if used in the wrong way.

First of all, these sites make it possible to interact with the people next door, or across the world, with one click. This allows you to keep in touch with your friends and family that may live far away. Whoever you may need, whenever you may need them, you are able to reach them via social networking. These sites are very beneficial in keeping the user in touch with virtually the entire world.

Finally, the ease of social networking often leads to people acting completely different over the internet than they would in real life. Often times people find it easier to bully over the internet. This may be because they feel like there won’t be as severe consequences than as if they were to bully in real life. Although, the consequences for cyber bullying are becoming more and more severe as people are starting to realize how serious it is becoming.

So if social networks are used correctly, social networking can be very beneficial. They also show how it easy is to get in trouble over the internet. Overall, I feel social networking sites are a good way to keep connected with friends, family, colleagues, etc. when used correctly.

Anas Akrache

Birthday : 1996-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post by rachel coeurdane Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:08 pm

i think there are good reasons to used social networks. Like keep contact with your friends in france or foreign countries,share your holiday's photos., upload for a job. but we need to don't forget that the best way to create moment in your mind are the real moment and not virtual. morever, some people don't used correctly social media and can harm at your life. Some share or sentences put in social media can have serious consequencies on anothers or yourself. So, whis that we need to be constantely careful.
I prefer to meet my friends for exemple with a coffee than don't stop chatting on facebook or something like that. Because for me, the virtual is limited and doesn't create moments in your mind and emotions...

rachel coeurdane

Back to top Go down

Post by Couillebault Thomas Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:53 pm

Hello guy,
I think like most people about the social networks. The main quality is to keep contact with friends you really see. In fact, the social networks like Facebook allows to have a quick answer when you have a problem. People can make their opinion easier. But somebody is too connected and I think, it's a bad thing. Some people become unsociable and they don't open at others. For me, I prefer to laugh with my friends in real life rather read "LOL" on Facebook.

Couillebault Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post by Chauvet Alexis Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:20 am

I agree with what Thomas said before. Social networks provide some advantages: easier communication with friends, teamworking, and information dissemination. There is also disadvantages, like the data collection, majority of what you make on social networks are used on marketing strategy. Because of some informations are potential fake news it's important to be careful when you use social networks

Chauvet Alexis

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas Coursault Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:05 pm

The society evolve constantly.We must to adapt to different move of society. The social network is a new way of the communication since the 21th century. There are bad and positive effect. For exemple, that permit to develop our social life, you can to do new friends, or find the love Laughing. However, some people have a lot of friends on Facebook or in other social network, but they don't know the people in reality, juste someone behind a computer. Then, it's just transitory.

Andreas Coursault

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum