UP English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Gillette ad

+2
b.ettoumi
Admin
6 posters

Go down

The Gillette ad Empty The Gillette ad

Post by Admin Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:28 am

This ad has been getting a fair bit of coverage in the UK and the US and being as you are Marketing students I wondered what your take on it is.

Some discussion from the American Right and Left:

Gillette discussion
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

The Gillette ad Empty Re: The Gillette ad

Post by b.ettoumi Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:58 pm

Hi,

I think the message the ad is trying to communicate is a fairly good one, "don't be jerks",
in my opinion it's the execution that is poor and the cause of all this backlash.

For starters, I think being a jerk is not linked to a gender, that's what Gillette failed to show, and it was pretty stupid of them to "attack" their target demographic.

The other reason is that the ad is scripted in a way that insinuates that most of men are "toxic", and in many scenes, they portrayed men as being some brainless, instinct driven creatures.
Personally my biggest criticism is when Terry Crews said that men should take other men accountable for their behaviors. I don't think any person is obliged to stand against another person's bad behaviors just because they look alike or belong to the same group, we are all compelled, in the same way and degree, to stand together against toxic behaviors without our race, gender or background being taken into account.

Whether we agree with message of the ad or not, it's clear that it was a failure Marketingwise, Gillette received way more criticism than praise which could cost them a lot as a company.
b.ettoumi
b.ettoumi

Back to top Go down

Post by Mégane Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:55 pm

Hi,

I think gender are not treating in the same way in life or in the media. The advertising promotes so many stereotype again and again..and "don't be a jerk" is focus only on Men. Because it is for gender equality.. I feel that in life, girls are less respected than men : more men are disrespectful to women.

This advertising shows us that jerks behaviour are mainly focused on men. So the negative point is that women jerk behaviour should be present too. Because yes there are women who have bad behaviour also..

But this is the point, it is to help women. A company as Gillette, that normally promotes "stereotype" of men and women, have to change the big picture of gender in media. So Gillette starts to do it, not perfectly, but some points are treated : a woman can be protected by someone else of an irrespect behaviour.

So the thing it miss is that a man can be protected by someone else of an irrespect behaviour.
Mégane
Mégane

Back to top Go down

Post by Marion.LM Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:18 pm

Hi, I agree with Mégane about "The advertising promotes so many stereotypes again and again..." The other point that I don't like it's the "good company" side (I think at your topic Mégane Laughing ). Gillette is a company which win millions of millions of dollars....so the fact that Gillette denunce the sexual harassment, sincerely, I don't care (as a woman) and my brother (as a man), he only wants a good razor. Companies don't understand that the most important in marketing is knowing the "perfect balance", you can "embellish" certain facts but not "denunce all the misery in the world". In marketing you have to only say that your are the best in your sector and why. I have an example, a woman in marketing was working in a biscuit company (BN I believe). She launched an advertising compaign to say that, for the health of children, parents have to give 1 packet per day at their children (like eat 5 fruits and vegetables per day). The add was a disaster and the woman was fire.

Gillette denunce the sexual harassment... ya.... but on the other hand, they think to reduce the price of their products ? non. They reduce their margin ? non. They well paid their employee ? certainly not.

Gillette want to say that with your Gillette and not only your razor, you will obtien the "strenght", the add is a little bit moralistic....

Marion.LM

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:59 pm

Don't forget the pink tax on their lady razors.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Elsa RAUCHE LUCAS Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:03 pm

To be fairly honest I kind of disagree with you all... I do think it was a good idea from Gillette to talk about sexual harassment and I liked the ad. 

Why shouldn't a brand as Gillette talk about this kind of things? Because it is for men? Because they make lots of money? I think it is indeed a good thing! It is brands with such an important influence that have the power to make things evolve! 

I think the message is great and I wish more brands could be able to do the same, even if, to be honest, I also think that they are doing it to make more money and that they would'nt if it wasn't a trend Smile
Elsa RAUCHE LUCAS
Elsa RAUCHE LUCAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Elsa RAUCHE LUCAS Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:07 pm

Also, to talk about the "not all men" thing, yes, people are not stupid and we know that hopefully, not all men act like jerks! But you have to admit that in our society men are raised to be strong and powerful and not really respectful, it is the system that's made like this. Instead of saying "this does not concern me, I'm not like that", it would be better to say "This could be helpful for the ones who are not like me" Smile
Elsa RAUCHE LUCAS
Elsa RAUCHE LUCAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:36 pm

Elsa RAUCHE LUCAS wrote:Also, to talk about the "not all men" thing, yes, people are not stupid and we know that hopefully, not all men act like jerks! But you have to admit that in our society men are raised to be strong and powerful and not really respectful, it is the system that's made like this. Instead of saying "this does not concern me, I'm not like that", it would be better to say "This could be helpful for the ones who are not like me" Smile

And you think this ad will have an effect?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Elsa RAUCHE LUCAS Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:54 pm

Admin wrote:
Elsa RAUCHE LUCAS wrote:Also, to talk about the "not all men" thing, yes, people are not stupid and we know that hopefully, not all men act like jerks! But you have to admit that in our society men are raised to be strong and powerful and not really respectful, it is the system that's made like this. Instead of saying "this does not concern me, I'm not like that", it would be better to say "This could be helpful for the ones who are not like me" Smile

And you think this ad will have an effect?

Maybe, maybe not, but at least it made noise Smile 

I think indeed that the ones that can make the change are no longer the politics but the brands, who are the true influencers and life changers of the century. Now every message starts with brands communication and trends, because they have the money to do it and because people are more likely to listen to TV ads than to politics speeches. 

And also, if we always wonder "is this truly going to make a difference?" we would never make any effort to change things. Change always starts with small messages that might turn into movements, trends, and finally become the norm Smile
Elsa RAUCHE LUCAS
Elsa RAUCHE LUCAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Vincent Balthazar Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:04 pm

Marion.LM wrote:Hi, I agree with Mégane about  "The advertising promotes so many stereotypes again and again..." The other point that I don't like it's the "good company" side (I think at your topic Mégane Laughing ). Gillette is a company which win millions of millions of dollars....so the fact that Gillette denunce the sexual harassment, sincerely, I don't care (as a woman) and my brother (as a man), he only wants a good razor. Companies don't understand that the most important in marketing is knowing the "perfect balance", you can "embellish" certain facts but not "denunce all the misery in the world". In marketing you have to only say that your are the best in your sector and why. I have an example, a woman in marketing was working in a biscuit company (BN I believe). She launched an advertising compaign to say that, for the health of children, parents have to give 1 packet per day at their children (like eat 5 fruits and vegetables per day). The add was a disaster and the woman was fire.

Gillette denunce the sexual harassment... ya.... but on the other hand, they think to reduce the price of their products ? non. They reduce their margin ? non. They well paid their employee ? certainly not.

Gillette want to say that with your Gillette and not only your razor, you will obtien the "strenght", the add is a little bit moralistic....

Hi Marion I'm very confused about what you're saying. You say "you can "embellish" certain facts but not "denunce all the misery in the world"". I think it's to bad to say that because big companies with their communication can touch lot of people, so in my opinion it's their duty to do that. They have the power to change minds. So according to me the fact that Gillette denunce sexual harassment it's the best thing they ever done ! Most of the cases sexual harassment is providing by men, so we have to teach them to not do that. So if a brand for men do that kind of communication, it's pretty good because they directly talk to people who are more able to act against women.

"but on the other hand, they think to reduce the price of their products ? non. They reduce their margin ? non. They well paid their employee ? certainly not." What's you're saying is horrible ! Do you think having to reduce prices, margin... is more important than protect women, and prevent men from sexual harassment ??

"the add is a little bit moralistic.... " Of course she is, and I'm glad for it ! I don't understand why women like you (you directly are concern by sexual harassment because you're a women) consider that add as a bad add... I will buy Gillette just for this add and if your brother won't, it's because he didn't understand the goal of this add.
Vincent Balthazar
Vincent Balthazar

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:18 pm

I'm glad that Vincent and Elsa see this ad in a different way to me.

Personally I found it a little pathetic but I'm sure it was good as a Marketing ploy to get people talking about their brand.

I resent the fact that they infer all men are pigs, I don't like the fact they are jumping on a men are bad, women are great bandwagon. Holier than thou PC gets me down.

They surely can't really think that any of the men they are targetting (yes some of their own buyers) are really going to watch this ad and think You're right Gillette I'm a pig and I will change my ways.

Personally I don't even watch adverts anymore - thank you new technologies - unless it is for the CEPE and I certainly don't buy razors.

I'm also pretty sure that Gillette were one of the companies charging a pink tax on their ladies razors (and possibly still are). Hypocrites?

In short I hate preaching. Don't talk the talk, walk the walk. How many gillette executives are women? How many gillette executives act in a sexist/bullying way? How many Gillette executives say anything to others who do?

I think there are many men who thought like this:

https://spectator.us/open-letter-gillette-godfrey-elfwick/
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marion.LM Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:33 pm

Admin wrote:I'm glad that Vincent and Elsa see this ad in a different way to me.

Personally I found it a little pathetic but I'm sure it was good as a Marketing ploy to get people talking about their brand.

I resent the fact that they infer all men are pigs, I don't like the fact they are jumping on a men are bad, women are great bandwagon. Holier than thou PC gets me down.

They surely can't really think that any of the men they are targetting (yes some of their own buyers) are really going to watch this ad and think You're right Gillette I'm a pig and I will change my ways.

Personally I don't even watch adverts anymore - thank you new technologies - unless it is for the CEPE and I certainly don't buy razors.

I'm also pretty sure that Gillette were one of the companies charging a pink tax on their ladies razors (and possibly still are). Hypocrites?

In short I hate preaching. Don't talk the talk, walk the walk. How many gillette executives are women? How many gillette executives act in a sexist/bullying way? How many Gillette executives say anything to others who do?

Agree with admin : "You're right Gillette I'm a pig and I will change my ways" => I'm not sure that a person will think that because he buys a razor.

AND YES, it's more expensive for women (pink tax like you say admin)
In carrefour : men razor => 6 razors for 8,50€ (1.42 € / Pièce)
                    women razor =>  5 razors for 12,52€ (2.50 € / Pièce)

It's that the respect ? Protect indirectely women (and the impact ?) but women have to pay more because they only women ?

Marion.LM

Back to top Go down

Post by Vincent Balthazar Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:23 pm

Admin wrote:I'm glad that Vincent and Elsa see this ad in a different way to me.

Hi John, I carefully read what you said.

"I resent the fact that they infer all men are pigs" --> You don't have to feel that because this ad targets those who are more likely to be aggressors, if you don't feel concerne by this message, alors you should be ok with the message. We all know that men aren't aggresors... and Gillett know it, it's just a reminder that you don't have to use harassment. Some men are pigs, it's the duty of this men's brand to participate to broadcast this kind of message. To conclude, if you don't feel targeted by this add, you shouldn't have to be against. It's courageous from Gillette because men aren't ready to accept that some people among them are dangerous. But it's a reality, and beyond this message, it's also a discourse for the empowerment of our children. Teach them to not be "a pig" should be primordial, but some forget that. If you raise your child in a good way, this add have to confirm what you've teach to your kid.

"Pink tax on their ladies razors" --> I totally agree with that kind of hypocrisy. But it's an other subject, I think it's more expensive because women are used to use razors more than men. And we are in a capitalistic model so it's only a financial problem. The other problem is a social problem that destroy women's life. But I agree because it's a real social problem... Women are paid less but have to buy more Wink

Vincent Balthazar
Vincent Balthazar

Back to top Go down

Post by Vincent Balthazar Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:28 pm

Marion.LM wrote:

Agree with admin : "You're right Gillette I'm a pig and I will change my ways" => I'm not sure that a person will think that because he buys a razor.

AND YES, it's more expensive for women (pink tax like you say admin)
In carrefour : men razor => 6 razors for 8,50€ (1.42 € / Pièce)
                    women razor =>  5 razors for 12,52€ (2.50 € / Pièce)

It's that the respect ? Protect indirectely women (and the impact ?) but women have to pay more because they only women ?

"I'm not sure that a person will think that because he buys a razor." Of course but it can help to raise awarness if everybody say it louder. This add si really powefull, I'm not a pig, I know it, so I don't consider this message for me, but I appreciate it a lot !
Vincent Balthazar
Vincent Balthazar

Back to top Go down

Post by b.ettoumi Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:45 pm

Vincent Balthazar wrote:

"I resent the fact that they infer all men are pigs" --> You don't have to feel that because this ad targets those who are more likely to be aggressors, if you don't feel concerne by this message, alors you should be ok with the message. We all know that men aren't aggresors... and Gillett know it, it's just a reminder that you don't have to use harassment. Some men are pigs, it's the duty of this men's brand to participate to broadcast this kind of message. To conclude, if you don't feel targeted by this add, you shouldn't have to be against. It's courageous from Gillette because men aren't ready to accept that some people among them are dangerous. But it's a reality, and beyond this message, it's also a discourse for the empowerment of our children. Teach them to not be "a pig" should be primordial, but some forget that. If you raise your child in a good way, this add have to confirm what you've teach to your kid.

"Pink tax on their ladies razors" --> I totally agree with that kind of hypocrisy. But it's an other subject, I think it's more expensive because women are used to use razors more than men. And we are in a capitalistic model so it's only a financial problem. The other problem is a social problem that destroy women's life. But I agree because it's a real social problem... Women are paid less but have to buy more Wink

The thing is, not many people thought that the message Gillette was trying to communicate is bad at its core. I agree that there are "pigs" among us and that something has to be done to end these behaviors.
The problem is that this ad made those "pigs" feel attacked and offended, which is the problem. It's not by treating pigs as pigs that we are gonna make them change their behaviors, and the storm that was caused by Gillette's ad is proof to that imo.
So let's think of a better way to fight these behaviors.
b.ettoumi
b.ettoumi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marion.LM Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:46 pm

b.ettoumi wrote:
Vincent Balthazar wrote:

The thing is, not many people thought that the message Gillette was trying to communicate is bad at its core. I agree that there are "pigs" among us and that something has to be done to end these behaviors.
The problem  is that this ad made those "pigs" feel attacked and offended, which is the problem. It's not by treating pigs as pigs that we are gonna make them change their behaviors, and the storm that was caused by Gillette's ad is proof to that imo.
So let's think of a better way to fight these behaviors.

I totally agree with Badr, "It's not by treating pigs as pigs that we are gonna make them change their behaviors". Vincent do you think that the Gillette ad has a really impact in the "pigs population"? First, the problem is that I am not sure that pigs know that there are big "pigs", I think most of them say that they "take the advantage" of all the situation with a woman. Then, all the people speak about Gillette, Gillette, Gillette.....is not that the first objective ?

Marion.LM

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down