UP English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Westworld

+7
Elsa RAUCHE LUCAS
Clémence Giraud
Marion.LM
BROSSET Céline
Nolwenn Lautredou
Admin
ClémentJaunay
11 posters

Go down

Westworld  Empty Westworld

Post by ClémentJaunay Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:53 pm

Hello everybody !

Because we have to present a show, we had to make choices. Some of you took good choices, some of you took bad choices. But nobody took the better choice. Today, friends, is a great day. It's the day for you to discover the best 2017's television show. For those who already know, may the Man in black bless you.

And now I'm going to take a very less pretentious tone because I want to live one more day!

The show I choose is Westworld (but you read the title so it's not a surprise). It's not new to me, but I'm watching it a second time, and I'm still discovering details and little things I didn't see the first time.

Westworld is a show produced by HBO, those who produce Game of Thrones. It's an adaptation of the film Westworld (by Michael Crichton, 1973), but the point of view is quite different : in the film, we follow the humans point of view, but in the show it's the androids point of view. But the concept is the same.

THE CONCEPT of WESTWORLD

Have you ever imagine to be in a video game like The Elder Scrolls (all of them, but most of you may know only TES V : Skyrim), or Fallout, or Red Dead Redemption? In a Role-Playing-Game (RPG) video game with open-world, to be short. A world where people were created for you, to give you some quests to achieve, to feel real. A world you can explore, a world you can brave, a world where you can do everything you want to!
This is Westworld. Westworld is an attraction park built on this "RPG video game in open-world" concept, but it's not a video game: it's reality.

The non-player characters (NPC) are androids: they are fake, they are programmed. But they seem to be real, with emotions, feelings, dilemmas, history... They were built for the "newcomers", it's the nickame for "human visitors", and they act like true people, they interact with others androids. You can't know who is human and who is android. But if you want to know because you're not sure, you can shot them with your gun: if it dies, it's an android (guns don't hurt real people in Westworld).

So Westworld is an attraction park where you come to feel free, to be yourself or whoever you want to be. Exploration, gunfights, drinking, sex, quests, bounty hunting ... or more complicated stories (scenarios).

Westworld is not a real park in our real world, but you must know the prices: 40.000$/day. So even if it was real, it would stay a dream to go in...

Synopsis

Hard part, I don't want to give you too much informations.

Short version: the founder of the park installed a new update in androids to make them more realistic: "Rêveries update". It allows them to have reminiscences, to have some memories, to be deeper. But this update will have consequences on their behavior.

It seems simple, but in fact it's really deeper than that. It's not a western show, it's more a sci-fi show. You have action and adventure in a cow-boy world, but you also have a lot of intrigues, and several storylines (main storylines : Dolores, Man in Black, Ford & Bernard, Maeve and Logan & William).

Why you must see Westworld

Because the Man in Black (played by Ed Harris) and Maeve (by Thandie Newton) are soooooooo incredible.

Because it's a very good show with a beautiful realisation, a beautiful direction, and a great casting. The script writing is also fantastic. And it's deep. It blew my mind the first time.

What do you think about it?

ClémentJaunay

Back to top Go down

Westworld  Empty Re: Westworld

Post by Admin Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:13 pm

I thought it was the second best new series last year.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Nolwenn Lautredou Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:56 pm

Hello Clément !
I watched Westworld last year and actually it was long for me to finish the series. The episodes last about 1 hour, I prefer when it is 40 minutes.
At the end of each episode I feel behind, it requires a lot of concentration because of the deepness of the scenario.
However, the topic of the series is just incredible ! I find amazing the idea of the attraction park for human who want to become and do what they ever wanted to do. I confess, sometimes I was confused between who is robot and who is human, it is realistic.
As you said there are too much details and it is impossible to understand everything at the first time.
I agree with you about the script, the casting and the realization, it's fantastic and that's why I kept watching it !

Enjoy your second marathon of Westworld!
Nolwenn Lautredou
Nolwenn Lautredou

Back to top Go down

Post by BROSSET Céline Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:16 pm

Hi Clement !
Nice topic.
For my part, I've enjoyed Westworld so much that I've watched the whole season in one day !
I think this show rules. Actors are really great, and, as far as i'm concerned, Ford is god.

"Mozart, Beethoven and Chopin never died... They simply became music". I love you
BROSSET Céline
BROSSET Céline

Back to top Go down

Post by Marion.LM Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:06 pm

Hi,
To night, I saw the first episode of this serie, it is not bad !... the concept is very interesting ! Moreover, I love this danish actress who acted in "Borgen" !! I don't remember her name...
I will watch more !

Marion.LM

Back to top Go down

Post by Clémence Giraud Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:48 am

Mister Admin, what was the best serie last year if this one is the second ?
Clémence Giraud
Clémence Giraud

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:51 am

Clémence Giraud wrote:Mister Admin, what was the best serie last year if this one is the second ?

Best NEW series was Stranger things in my opinion.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marion.LM Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:34 pm

Mister Admin,
What are the other series that you like ?
1. Stranger things
2. Westworld
3. ??

Mister Admin, do you know "Broadchurch" ?
In my opinion, I like series like "Broadchurch" because it is like in the real life...you try to do the best you can...you try to overcome your problem...

Marion.LM

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:33 pm

Marion Le Moullec wrote:Mister Admin,
1. Stranger things
2. Westworld
3. ??

In my opinion, I like series like "Broadchurch" because it is like in the real life...you try to do the best you can...you try to overcome your problem...

I've watched all 3 seasons of Broadchurch. I enjoyed the first - I liked the way everyone had something to hide which is quite real - although at times it distorted the story in order to elongate the series. The second I liked less as it was very similar and the third I liked the least. I hope there isn't a fourth and then I won't have to decide whether to watch it or not.

I like lots of series and I want to specify again that Stranger things and Westworld are not my favourite series but my favourite new series of last year.

some of my favourites:

Vikings
Justified
Silent witness
Vera
Fargo
Happy Valley
Black adder
Grimm
Morse
George Gently
marco polo
Stargate Atlantis
The Wire
Wire in the blood

How many more do you want?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marion.LM Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:57 pm

No more, it's already a long list Very Happy

Marion.LM

Back to top Go down

Post by Marion.LM Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:32 pm

thank you !

Marion.LM

Back to top Go down

Post by Elsa RAUCHE LUCAS Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:27 pm

Hi Clement!

I am happy to see you enjoyed Westworld! In my opinion it really was THE best new serie of 2016 because the concept was really amazing and completely new, because even if I loved Stranger Things too, it was more a tribute to the 80's cult movies so the concept wasn't the most original.

I think you made a very good summary and you made me want to watch it again! I am so sad we have to wait until 2018 for the next season Sad I'll probably rewatch it before that Smile

And you've talked about Ed Harris and Thandie Newton which I agree, were absolutely amazing but what about Anthony Hopkins ??? He is a real genius! I've loved him since I saw him in the Silence of The Lambs!
Elsa RAUCHE LUCAS
Elsa RAUCHE LUCAS

Back to top Go down

Post by joachim natali Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:32 am

Hi everybody,

Im totally agree with you when you said that westworld is one of the best TV show of the year.
Im really exciting and impatient about the second season.
joachim natali
joachim natali

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom Malgorn Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:13 pm

I watched the season 1, and I LOVE this series, I think it is my favourite TV show with The Leftovers, all is good in this series: actors (especially: Thandie Newton, Anthony Hopkins, and Ed Harris), the story, the screenplay, the scenery, and the original soundtrack.

Nolwenn, I don't agree with you, I think 1 hour per episode it's a very good thing to appreciate Westworld, for me this show is a movie of 10 hours.

I don't know if you saw the trailer of the season 2, I think we will see another park (samurai park), but like Elsa, I think I probably rewatch the season 1 before that, because, I watched so many series in 2017.  
Tom Malgorn
Tom Malgorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:53 am

If I remember correctly they said 2 years before the second season. So late 2018.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom Malgorn Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:21 am

Admin wrote:If I remember correctly they said 2 years before the second season. So late 2018.

Yes it's correct, it's spring 2018 !
Tom Malgorn
Tom Malgorn

Back to top Go down

Post by ClémentJaunay Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:32 am

Elsa RAUCHE LUCAS wrote:Hi Clement!

I am happy to see you enjoyed Westworld! In my opinion it really was THE best new serie of 2016 because the concept was really amazing and completely new, because even if I loved Stranger Things too, it was more a tribute to the 80's cult movies so the concept wasn't the most original.

I think you made a very good summary and you made me want to watch it again! I am so sad we have to wait until 2018 for the next season Sad I'll probably rewatch it before that Smile

And you've talked about Ed Harris and Thandie Newton which I agree, were absolutely amazing but what about Anthony Hopkins ??? He is a real genius! I've loved him since I saw him in the Silence of The Lambs!

Yep Sad But now we know when the season 2 will be released! Spring 2018 Very Happy

And yes, Anthony Hopkins was really great too, and I'm pretty sure we will see him again for more masterpieces ... hehe

ClémentJaunay

Back to top Go down

Post by maelys fouche Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:24 pm

Hi clement and the others!

I also watched this serie not a long time ago. This is a really great serie with a lot of action and the actors' game is pretty interesting!! Maybe the episodes are too long sometimes but the story is well developped so not too bad.
Didn't know the season 2 will be release in spring 2018 so thank you for the information I will check if I'm not forget because you know too much series to watch is there not end to this ahah Very Happy
maelys fouche
maelys fouche

Back to top Go down

Post by maelys fouche Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:29 pm

Admin wrote:
1. Stranger things
2. Westworld
3. ??

I've watched all 3 seasons of Broadchurch. I enjoyed the first - I liked the way everyone had something to hide which is quite real - although at times it distorted the story in order to elongate the series. The second I liked less as it was very similar and the third I liked the least. I hope there isn't a fourth and then I won't have to decide whether to watch it or not.

I like lots of series and I want to specify again that Stranger things and Westworld are not my favourite series but my favourite new series of last year.

some of my favourites:

Vikings
Justified
Silent witness
Vera
Fargo
Happy Valley
Black adder
Grimm
Morse
George Gently
marco polo
Stargate Atlantis
The Wire
Wire in the blood

AHAH funny that you speak about Stargate Atlantis. When I was young I was in love of this serie. I couldn't stop to watch it. Last time we were talking about that serie but I couldn't even remember the name of the beasts ( I don't know how to explain but I'm talking about the beasts which can penetrate the skin of the soldier..) How do you name it ? If you don't remember doesn't matter but I would like to remember
maelys fouche
maelys fouche

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:40 am

maelys fouche wrote:
Admin wrote:
1. Stranger things
2. Westworld
3. ??

some of my favourites:

Vikings
Justified
Silent witness
Vera
Fargo
Happy Valley
Black adder
Grimm
Morse
George Gently
marco polo
Stargate Atlantis
The Wire
Wire in the blood

AHAH funny that you speak about Stargate Atlantis. When I was young I was in love of this serie. I couldn't stop to watch it. Last time we were talking about that serie but I couldn't even remember the name of the beasts ( I don't know how to explain but I'm talking about the beasts which can penetrate the skin of the soldier..) How do you name it ? If you don't remember doesn't matter but I would like to remember

The Goa'uld
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by maelys fouche Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:01 pm

Admin wrote:
maelys fouche wrote:
Admin wrote:
1. Stranger things
2. Westworld
3. ??

some of my favourites:

Vikings
Justified
Silent witness
Vera
Fargo
Happy Valley
Black adder
Grimm
Morse
George Gently
marco polo
Stargate Atlantis
The Wire
Wire in the blood

The Goa'uld

ah yes you're right , thanks for the information now I feel less stupid ahah lol!
maelys fouche
maelys fouche

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy Massonde Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:31 pm

As you all said, it's the best new series from the last years in my mind.
The story, the actors or the filming quality are tremendous ! Wait until the next season is too hard ...
Jeremy Massonde
Jeremy Massonde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum