UP English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Articles for oral presentation October 11th

+4
Nolwenn Lautredou
ClémentJaunay
Admin
Marion.LM
8 posters

Go down

Articles for oral presentation October 11th Empty Articles for oral presentation October 11th

Post by Marion.LM Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:41 pm

Find an article and post it on the forum.
Post your link and vocabulary.

Marion.LM

Back to top Go down

Articles for oral presentation October 11th Empty Re: Articles for oral presentation October 11th

Post by Marion.LM Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:57 pm

Psychologists define the 'dark core of personality', Science daily.

Date:
   September 26, 2018

Source:
   University of Copenhagen

Summary:
   Egoism, Machiavellianism, narcissism, psychopathy, sadism, spitefulness are all traits that stand for the malevolent dark sides of human personality. Results from a recent project show, these traits share a common 'dark core.' So, if you have one of these tendencies, you are also likely to have one or more of the others.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/09/180926110841.htm

My oral presentation "slideshow" on prezi :
https://prezi.com/p/1th5qkd9vjju/the-dark-core-of-personality/

Vocabulary :
side = figurative aspect
ex : She saw a side of him that she hadn't seen before.

Marion.LM

Back to top Go down

Articles for oral presentation October 11th Empty Re: Articles for oral presentation October 11th

Post by Admin Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:32 am

Thanks Marion.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:58 am

Should have six links to six different articles here before Saturday night including vocabulary lists. The rest of you need to read the 3 articles relevant to your group and think about the issues related to the article for your small group discussions next Thursday. The six article choosers will be leading the small discussions.

See you soon king
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marion.LM Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:20 pm

Admin wrote:Should have six links to six different articles here before Saturday night including vocabulary lists. The rest of you need to read the 3 articles relevant to your group and think about the issues related to the article for your small group discussions next Thursday. The six article choosers will be leading the small discussions.

See you soon king

Hi mister Admin,
I am sorry, I don't understand, it's one article per person ?
When you speak about 6 article choosers, it's 3 people for "children group" and 3 other for "packaging group" ? So, we are going to do class both group ?
Sorry, I'm little afraid of speaking in public...but that ok ! Embarassed

Marion.LM

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:35 pm

Marion Le Moullec wrote:
Admin wrote:Should have six links to six different articles here before Saturday night including vocabulary lists. The rest of you need to read the 3 articles relevant to your group and think about the issues related to the article for your small group discussions next Thursday. The six article choosers will be leading the small discussions.

See you soon king

Hi mister Admin,
I am sorry, I don't understand, it's one article per person ?
When you speak about 6 article choosers, it's 3 people for "children group" and 3 other for "packaging group" ? So, we are going to do class both group ?
Sorry, I'm little afraid of speaking in public...but that ok ! Embarassed

Hi Marion.

Yes, it's one article per person.

Yes, it's 3 for Children's group and 3 for packaging group.

No, we are not doing the class together.

It's not really public speaking - you are going to be with a very small group of your colleagues and you are just discussing your article with them.

You will introduce and lead the topic but your aim is to manage the discussion so that everyone speaks and talks about the issues involved. It's possible (though unlikely) that you'll speak less than the others in the group. Then after a few minutes (12 or 15 - I haven't finally decided yet). You'll move to a different group of colleagues and you'll repeat the discussion with them - so it should be easier as you will have learned from the first time. after another 12-15mins you'll then move to a final small group of students and discuss your topic with them. You will have led your discussion 3 times and the small groups will have discussed each of the 3 topics once.

The aim of the exercise is to improve your confidence when "public" speaking and your ability to lead small group discussions in English. It's a skill you will need and use during your final internship and, hopefully, in your future jobs.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ClémentJaunay Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:40 pm

Hi !

So that's the article I chose : https://edition.cnn.com/2016/07/25/health/video-games-and-violence/index.html

Do video games lead to violence?
Susan Scutti for CNN, February 22, 2018

This is a very old debate in the (short) history of videogames, so I would like to discuss it with you. And to be sure it won't be a short discussion, be prepare to talk more generally about violence in others medias Smile

Have a nice week-end ! Smile

ClémentJaunay

Back to top Go down

Post by Nolwenn Lautredou Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:08 pm

Hello,

This is the article I chose : https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-45561334

"I'm surrounded by people - but I feel so lonely"
BBC, October 1, 2018
It's about a survey from BBC about loneliness.

I hope everybody will read it accurately.

Below, my vocabulary:
-staggering => impressionnant, stupéfiant
-void => nul.le, non valable
-to creep => se déplacer lentement, grimper
-to strike => frapper, toucher, atteindre
-pattern => un modèle
-to rekindle => raviver, rallumer
-solace => réconfort
-to heighten => relever (quelqu'un)
-the crowd => la foule
-dismal => lugubre, triste, sombre

See you on Thursday Smile
Nolwenn Lautredou
Nolwenn Lautredou

Back to top Go down

Post by Gendry Marceline Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:21 pm

Hi !

Here is the article I chose : https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/31/opinion/sunday/abortion-banned-latin-america.html

"What Happens When Abortion Is Banned ?", by Michelle Oberman, (May 31, 2018). It's an article that invites you to think of consequences of abortion laws in Latin America and the United States.

Vocabulary :
1 - Pregnancy : human gestation
2- Abortion : end of pregnancy
3 - (Natural) miscarriage : Unintentional premature end to pregnancy.
4 - Family planning : the use of contraception, prevention or for realize abortion.
5 - Recriminalize : to make abortion illegal again.
6 - Abortifacient drugs : drugs used to cause miscarriage.
7 - Self administering : drugs taken by the women themselves, without a medical prescription.
8 - Dying woman : woman very ill and likely to die soon.
9 - People of good faith : honestly people
10 - Federal poverty line : income level legally qualifying as poor.

Have a good week-end ! Very Happy
Gendry Marceline
Gendry Marceline

Back to top Go down

Articles for oral presentation October 11th Empty My article for Thursday

Post by Hagar Sousa Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:31 pm

Hi everyone !
I'm so sorry for posting my article very laaate, I wasn't able to post it before and then I figured out THAT I WASN'T LOGGED IN.
I'm sorry again Sad

That's the article I've chosen : http://www.ft.lk/opinion/Towards-gender-neutral-toys/14-663756
It's called : " Towards gender-neutral toys"
It was posted on Monday, 1 October 2018. By an unknown person and I don't even think that this site is also known, haha:silent:

It's about eliminating pressure on children to conform to gender stereotypes while choosing their toys.

The vocabulary list isn't very long :

Normalize: bring or return to a normal or standard condition or state
Social construct: an idea that has been created and accepted by the people in a society
Bound: feeling that you should do something because you are expected to, or because it is morally right, even if you do not really want to do it No
Nurture: to provide the care and attention necessary for a young child, animal, or plant to grow and develop flower

See you on Thursday!
Have a nice weekend! Sleep

Hagar Sousa

Back to top Go down

Articles for oral presentation October 11th Empty Article for oral presentation

Post by Lea GRELLIER Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:56 pm

He Abused Her for Years. She Shot Him. France Asks: Is It Self-Defense?

Date : March 11, 2016

Source : The New York Times

Summary ;
This article is about Wild Jacqueline. It is a woman who has killed her husband. This woman has suffered a lot of violence from her husband. Is she considered guilty? France wonders: Is it self-defense?

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/12/world/europe/murder-of-abusive-husband-casts-stark-light-on-domestic-violence-in-france.html

Vocabulary:

Guilty = coupable
Hunting rifle = fusil de chasse
A nap = une sieste
Blow = coup
Rudeness = impolit
Threat = menace

Last edited by Lea GRELLIER on Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Lea GRELLIER

Back to top Go down

Post by Melody Gazengel Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:05 pm

Wild Jacqueline ? I think you mean Jacqueline Sauvage Wink

Melody Gazengel

Back to top Go down

Post by Lea GRELLIER Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:12 pm

Melody Gazengel wrote:Wild Jacqueline ? I think you mean Jacqueline Sauvage Wink

Ahaha yes it was a little joke Smile You have the real name in article.

Lea GRELLIER

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:14 pm

Lea GRELLIER wrote:
Melody Gazengel wrote:Wild Jacqueline ? I think you mean Jacqueline Sauvage Wink

Ahaha yes it was a little joke Smile You have the real name in article.

I thought it was funny. Wink
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marion.LM Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:14 pm

Marion Le Moullec wrote:Psychologists define the 'dark core of personality', Science daily.

Date:
   September 26, 2018

Source:
   University of Copenhagen

Summary:
   Egoism, Machiavellianism, narcissism, psychopathy, sadism, spitefulness are all traits that stand for the malevolent dark sides of human personality. Results from a recent project show, these traits share a common 'dark core.' So, if you have one of these tendencies, you are also likely to have one or more of the others.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/09/180926110841.htm

My oral presentation "slideshow" on prezi :
https://prezi.com/p/1th5qkd9vjju/the-dark-core-of-personality/

Vocabulary :
side = figurative aspect
ex : She saw a side of him that she hadn't seen before.

Hi
I give you my oral presentation, if you have any other question, I will be happy to answer.
One advice : Keep the moral….it was diffult but I survived bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce     !!!!)

Today I will present you an article extract from the review Science Daily and published on september 2018.
The title is Psychologists define the “dark core of personality .

First, I will start with some general informations about human personality. More exactly what kind of personality is described in this context. On this other part, I will explain what is “the dark core of personality”.

So, lots of human traits are described in this article like egoism or sadism… all the traits represent the dark part of human personality.
But in fact, for us and in our society there are two approach, it is more acceptable to be an egoist person than a psychopath. It’s an acceptable negative behaviour. It seem logic.

On this other hand, this new german research shows that all the dark aspects like are linked. And if you have one of the aspect, probably you have one of the other. This negative traits are linked by a common denominator called the “D factor”. Open the prezi to see the "multicolor/dark" flower (It is my first prezi… I am si proud Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy     )

The D factor indicates the probability that a person adopt a negative behaviour in public ou not, the probability that a person have more or less one of this tendencies.

D factor is a part of what the article called the dark core : the core is the essential part of something. The dark core will be the origin of the evil. The knowledge about this “dark core” will be “crucial” for therapists and to predict a negative behaviour or identify nasty person.

The last part of the presentation is my point of view :
What is the furture of the D factor ?
We have only one point of view (not a medical point of view, only a scientist point of view but presented like a medical approach or research) => it’s not like DNA test but just a mapping. There are not scientific evidence….
The knowledge about the D factor could be used by who ? The government, the army ?
We have to inspected all people ? Like I said, if I am tested, I have a positive D factor, because at least one time in my life I was an egoist person. The main problem, it’s that is the same factor for egoism and sadism.

In fact, I have afraid of people thinking that the knowledge of the “D factor" is the solution at all this psychological problem. But, the research is not like a “medicine”, not a real solution but only a probability of an eventual connexion between human dark side.

More largely, the question is if a person have a positive D factor. What is the solution ? More therapist people ? More scientists ?

Marion.LM

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down