UP English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dyslexia - What is it ?

4 posters

Go down

Dyslexia - What is it ?  Empty Dyslexia - What is it ?

Post by Emeline Giffard Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:50 pm

Hello, fellow classmates (and John) !

flower  flower  flower

(DISCLAIMER : long post ahead, sorry about it. My humble apologies to you Cédric, because I know you will be too lazy to read my post, because as always, it is way too long <3)

flower  flower  flower

So, as I got lost on Youtube the other day, a certain video came up in my recommandation section, which was this one :

As I was curious (and bored have to be honest), I decided to watch it. And for once, I was glad Youtube recommended me something that wasn't a prank video.

This short animated video tells the story of a boy who has dyslexia. He struggles at school because of it. This video is full of metaphors which try to convey how hard the struggle can be for dyslexic people. And it is really beautifully made, in my opinion. For the record, the creators behind this video are dyslexic themselves. This video is a way to narrate their journey at school.

I knew the word dyslexia, but this video made me reconsider my knowledge about it. I started to wonder, what it truly was to be dyslexic ? What was the meaning of this word ? So I started to make some research about it, and wanted to share with you guys !

The International Dyslexia Association (click to be redirected to their website) describes it this way :

“Dyslexia is a specific learning disability that is neurobiological in origin. It is characterized by difficulties with accurate and/or fluent word recognition and by poor spelling and decoding abilities. These difficulties typically result from a deficit in the phonological component of language that is often unexpected in relation to other cognitive abilities and the provision of effective classroom instruction. Secondary consequences may include problems in reading comprehension and reduced reading experience that can impede growth of vocabulary and background knowledge.”

If I had to put it simply, I would say that Dyslexia is just another way for the brain to be working. A person's brain who has dyslexia doesn't work the same way as someone without dyslexia. Unfortunaltely, it makes learning really difficult. Reading can become quite the challenge for them, because of the way their brain functions. And this can affect ohter abilities.

But I would like to stress out one important fact : DYSLEXIA DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU ARE STUPID.

Indeed, many people assimilate dyslexia with stupidity, as dyslexic people tend to have difficulties reading or understanding. This means that they have trouble in school. But it is absolutely not the case.

Did you know that Steven Spielberg is dyslexic ?

Being dyslexic does not make you stupid. Your brain just doesn't function the same way, but it still functions. And dyslexic people can be as smart, if not smarter that most people who don't have this disability. Because of this, they have to work harder than anyone else to achieve their goal, or have to rely on their creativty to find ways to catch up with everyone else. And they are quite good at it.

I'll leave here some videos I watched about it :

So, what do you think about it ? Do you personally know someone who is dyslexic ? Are you dyslexic yourself ? Don't hesitate to share your experience or your knowledge, it will be really appreciated cheers

Thanks for all those who took the time to read it. Hope you learned something, or at least got the motivation to dig deeper and try to know more, because obviously, my post is just basic info !! study

Enjoy your break geek
Emeline Giffard
Emeline Giffard

Back to top Go down

Dyslexia - What is it ?  Empty Re: Dyslexia - What is it ?

Post by SALMA FARES Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:45 pm

Hi emeline!
when i was in italy the half of my class was dyslexic and dyscalculic, when i was you i wanted to have one of these beacause my classmate received special attention loolllll , so how i can say it , i think that is not a big deal been dyslexic even if you have some difficultes you can surpass this "desease" by training your brain with readings for example, all the people that i knew that have this "problem" are very smart and they are a real genius , for example enstein or speilberg !
i like the post, i think that is very interesting, is very important to let understand people that is not a seroius desease, i've noticed now that no one repl back and i don't know why lolll
SALMA FARES
SALMA FARES

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:15 am

SALMA FARES wrote:Hi emeline!
when i was in italy the half of my class was dyslexic and dyscalculic, when i was you i wanted to have one of these beacause my classmate received special attention loolllll , so how i can say it , i think that is not a big deal been dyslexic even if you have some difficultes you can surpass this "desease" by training your brain with readings for example, all the people that i knew that have this "problem" are very smart and they are a real genius , for example enstein or speilberg !
i like the post, i think  that is very interesting, is very important to let understand people that is not a seroius desease,  i've noticed now  that no one repl back and i don't know why lolll

We live in a new era where if the post is longer than a few sentences no-one reads it.

Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Babis Papageorgiou Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:11 pm

Hello Emeline!

First of all thanks because there were information in the videos I didn't know, such us how the brain of dyslectic people works!

I can understand how easy a dyslectic person gets bullying or racist behaviours at school because he/she is different!
But in Greece I remember everyone wanted to be dyslectic, because students with dyslexia pass oral the exams in the end of year, instead of writing.

So there were several students, not dyslectic ones, who was visiting and paying doctors, to diagnose them with dyslexia, in order to pass oral exams!

Personally I knew that dyslectic people see the world differently! For instance if a person without dyslexia wants to get out of a room, he/she will search directly the exit or the door! A dyslectic person will search the faster distance to exit the room! I don't have of course a scientific explanation but that's what I remember from an article that I read!

P.S.
How is that even possible the half of your class Salma to be dyslexic? I'm shocked! According the video of Emeline 1 in 5 people was dyslectic! You should search it to get in the book world record Guinness! Laughing
Babis Papageorgiou
Babis Papageorgiou

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum