UP English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Subject 3 Food

+15
Alix
LauraD
Amina
Nawel
val_labeguere
salomekj
gwen
colineg
Ismail Benlemlih
may-line david0
floriendive
AlexisC
camilleb
leaguilloteau01
Florian D.
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Subject 3 Food Empty Subject 3 Food

Post by Admin Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:30 am

Try to talk about different angles on food not just what you like most.

Last edited by Admin on Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Subject 3 Food Empty Re: Subject 3 Food

Post by Florian D. Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:14 pm

Hello ! Let's talk about food now... there is so much to say about and a lot different type of food. 

Nowadays, we really are in a new way to think about food : we want to eat more homemade and the food have to be healthy because there is an awareness about this. Parents don't want their childrens to eat some GMO food and they prefer to spend more money to make sure that the health of their childrens will not be in trouble in the future.

I think that this new way to think about food is really a european thing. If we look about the Chinese food or the Japanese food : this food is really well-balanced. When you check about the pourcent of obesity every one hundred resident in every country, you will find that the countries as Japan or South Korea aren't really touch by this phenomenon. In opposition, european countries are on the top of the rank but you will ever see countries as USA or Qatar which will be for ever on top of them. 

That's the link to discover the ranking I use to talk about obesity https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_des_pays_par_taux_d%27ob%C3%A9sit%C3%A9

Florian D.

Admin and floriendive like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:26 pm

Florian D. wrote:Hello ! Let's talk about food now... there is so much to say about and a lot different type of food. 

Nowadays, we really are in a new way to think about food : we want to eat more homemade and the food have to be healthy because there is an awareness about this. Parents don't want their childrens to eat some GMO food and they prefer to spend more money to make sure that the health of their childrens will not be in trouble in the future.

I think that this new way to think about food is really a european thing. If we look about the Chinese food or the Japanese food : this food is really well-balanced. When you check about the pourcent of obesity every one hundred resident in every country, you will find that the countries as Japan or South Korea aren't really touch by this phenomenon. In opposition, european countries are on the top of the rank but you will ever see countries as USA or Qatar which will be for ever on top of them. 

That's the link to discover the ranking I use to talk about obesity https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_des_pays_par_taux_d%27ob%C3%A9sit%C3%A9

And we are getting fatter and fatter. When I see programmes from the 70's it amazes me how few overweight people there are.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by leaguilloteau01 Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:00 pm

In a year you eat more or less 2000 times and in a life is around 93 000 times, then food is kind of a big stuff isn’t it? Can you imagine how many times we say “What are we eating tonight?” …, the worse question ever! So, we really need help, inspirations and methods.

About that, do you know what kind of books are most sold in France? Cookbooks! It’s a really big market, every single part of the population can find a cookbook made for him, if you don’t find one is because you haven’t search obviously.

I think it’s really interesting to see how many books are written depending on the tastes, on the budgets, on the time you have, on your equipment or on diets and on many others selections.

We all know books like “cooking for losers” or “meal for two euros” (this one is perfect for a student), it’s a nice way to help people and also to get them to know new recipes form all around the world. As a Frenchman really bad in French food/ recipes, you could be an amazing Chinese food cooker maybe or whatever you want to be.

I just discovered the batch cooking, it’s just so smart and helpful on getting organized and gain time. On Sunday during only two hours you prepare all the meals of the week with a list beforehand made for you. Amazing!
leaguilloteau01
leaguilloteau01

Admin and floriendive like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:27 am

leaguilloteau01 wrote:In a year you eat more or less 2000 times and in a life is around 93 000 times, then food is kind of a big stuff isn’t it? Can you imagine how many times we say “What are we eating tonight?” …, the worse question ever! So, we really need help, inspirations and methods.

About that, do you know what kind of books are most sold in France? Cookbooks! It’s a really big market, every single part of the population can find a cookbook made for him, if you don’t find one is because you haven’t search obviously.

I think it’s really interesting to see how many books are written depending on the tastes, on the budgets, on the time you have, on your equipment or on diets and on many others selections.

We all know books like “cooking for losers” or “meal for two euros” (this one is perfect for a student), it’s a nice way to help people and also to get them to know new recipes form all around the world. As a Frenchman really bad in French food/ recipes, you could be an amazing Chinese food cooker maybe or whatever you want to be.

I just discovered the batch cooking, it’s just so smart and helpful on getting organized and gain time. On Sunday during only two hours you prepare all the meals of the week with a list beforehand made for you. Amazing!

My wife says the same. It's not so easy is it? FYI We had take-away curry from the Moghol restaurant yesterday for the first time since before lockdown.
Admin
Admin
Admin

leaguilloteau01 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by camilleb Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:02 pm

Food, a word to describe a real hobby. I love food and I love cooking but most of all I really like to go to gourmet restaurant. It is expensive but I know how to appreciate it and I go only one or two times a year. It is a place where you discover different flavour, different products and different types of cooking. I went to 3 gourmet restaurants with one star: Fontevraud le restaurant, le logis de la Chabotterie and Le Favre d’Anne. It is three different types of cooking my favourite is la Chabotterie because of the varieties of cheese they presented. I also liked le Favre d’Anne more traditional with classic products (lobster, foie gras…) but gourmet. To finish with Fontevraud le restraurant, modern food and refine.

The best I’ve ever eat was at the Favre d’Anne restaurant but my boyfriend is a cooker in Fontevraud le restaurant so I can say I eat at the restaurant every time he cooks for me.

camilleb

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:22 pm

camilleb wrote:Food, a word to describe a real hobby. I love food and I love cooking but most of all I really like to go to gourmet restaurant. It is expensive but I know how to appreciate it and I go only one or two times a year. It is a place where you discover different flavour, different products and different types of cooking. I went to 3 gourmet restaurants with one star: Fontevraud le restaurant, le logis de la Chabotterie and Le Favre d’Anne. It is three different types of cooking my favourite is la Chabotterie because of the varieties of cheese they presented. I also liked le Favre d’Anne more traditional with classic products (lobster, foie gras…) but gourmet. To finish with Fontevraud le restraurant, modern food and refine.

The best I’ve ever eat was at the Favre d’Anne restaurant but my boyfriend is a cooker in Fontevraud le restaurant so I can say I eat at the restaurant every time he cooks for me.

Perhaps we can invite him to cook us something for the end of the semester. Laughing
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexisC Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:16 pm

Me and the food: a long story

First of all when I was a child I was very picky but I didn't necessarily realise what I was eating. For example snails: when I was a child I thought they were very good and sometimes I even asked for more. It wasn't until later when I finally made the connection between this strange thing that was dragging itself along the floor with drooling mucus and my plate. So, I stopped eating them.

Now I'm starting to enjoy more and more different flavours but I'm trying to figure out where what I eat comes from.

In my early adulthood when I had my first flats I didn't necessarily pay attention to what I ate. I started to cook and I liked it very quickly. I like to cook for my family, friends and myself but I tend to make large portions. It's not a problem when there are several of us but I lived on my own and I often eat the same dish for three days.

Otherwise I love curry. Of course Indian restaurants are among my favourites even though I like most restaurants that offer original food. I put curry whenever I can and sometimes even when I don't have to. I find that spices and herbs are indispensable ingredients for any good cook. They help to transform an average dish into something almost good.

Anyway, a life without flavours is not worth living.

AlexisC
AlexisC

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:33 am

AlexisC wrote:Me and the food: a long story

First of all when I was a child I was very picky but I didn't necessarily realise what I was eating. For example snails: when I was a child I thought they were very good and sometimes I even asked for more. It wasn't until later when I finally made the connection between this strange thing that was dragging itself along the floor with drooling mucus and my plate. So, I stopped eating them.

Now I'm starting to enjoy more and more different flavours but I'm trying to figure out where what I eat comes from.

In my early adulthood when I had my first flats I didn't necessarily pay attention to what I ate. I started to cook and I liked it very quickly. I like to cook for my family, friends and myself but I tend to make large portions. It's not a problem when there are several of us but I lived on my own and I often eat the same dish for three days.

Otherwise I love curry. Of course Indian restaurants are among my favourites even though I like most restaurants that offer original food. I put curry whenever I can and sometimes even when I don't have to. I find that spices and herbs are indispensable ingredients for any good cook. They help to transform an average dish into something almost good.

Anyway, a life without flavours is not worth living.

I find it hard to believe anyone likes eating snails, the garlic maybe, but snails?
Admin
Admin
Admin

AlexisC likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by floriendive Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:32 am

I bought mushrooms yesterday. More particularly, I bought ceps. I was so excited to cook them because my grandfather used to cook them in such a delicious way (with garlic and heavy cream on a simple bread slice).

So I chose 1 kg of mushrooms and as soon as I got home I started to cut and clean them… I noticed that there were green parts under the mushrooms, it seemed weird but I remembered what the seller told me "it's moss and you don't need to worry about it".

So I cooked everything in the pan and it started to smell a bit "earthy". I was not really paying attention to that smell and I put the cream in the pan and started to stir a lot. The mixture became really viscous and squishy, with a greenish aspect. When I tasted it, it was not bad but it was not as tasty as in my memory and the texture was hideous.

So I searched on the Internet if we can cook the moss from the cep, they advised to eat the moss only if it's white… Mine were really greenish/brownish...

OK now I'm afraid to die now... If I'm not in class by Thursday, that means I passed out.
floriendive
floriendive

Admin, AlexisC and salomekj like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:44 am

floriendive wrote:I bought mushrooms yesterday. More particularly, I bought ceps. I was so excited to cook them because my grandfather used to cook them in such a delicious way (with garlic and heavy cream on a simple bread slice).

So I chose 1 kg of mushrooms and as soon as I got home I started to cut and clean them… I noticed that there were green parts under the mushrooms, it seemed weird but I remembered what the seller told me "it's moss and you don't need to worry about it".

So I cooked everything in the pan and it started to smell a bit "earthy". I was not really paying attention to that smell and I put the cream in the pan and started to stir a lot. The mixture became really viscous and squishy, with a greenish aspect. When I tasted it, it was not bad but it was not as tasty as in my memory and the texture was hideous.

So I searched on the Internet if we can cook the moss from the cep, they advised to eat the moss only if it's white… Mine were really greenish/brownish...

OK now I'm afraid to die now... If I'm not in class by Thursday, that means I passed out.

If you're not in class on Thursday that means you'll get a 0. clown
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by floriendive Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:32 am

Admin wrote:If you're not in class on Thursday that means you'll get a 0. clown

NOOOOO PROFESSOR !! Please! I need to have a good mark otherwise my parents would kick me out and I'll have to work in the mine, with Germinal 😭
floriendive
floriendive

Back to top Go down

Subject 3 Food Empty JUNKFOOD

Post by may-line david0 Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:13 pm

In order to fight against junkfood, a study was led in 20 grocery stores in Australia. The objective of this study was to minimise promotions regarding food and beverage that have too much sugar in it and then analyse results. Researchers indicate that by limiting promotions and marketing on food that is too sweet reduces their sales and this without impacting global performance of brands that sells this products.
To realize this study researchers invited 10 grocery store to established easy measures that will be described below.
As said before, Grocery stores stopped promotions on too sweet products like candies, biscuits, soda and sugar. They also remove these products of the end of the aisle and reduced their stocking space. Stickers that promoted still water like a healthy beverage and indicated the quantity of sugar in sodas were put on the floor.
Ten other grocery stores did absolutly nothing in order to compare results between those which did something and those which did nothing.
Finally, results showed that concerning those which actually did something, the share of added sugar bought by their client via food and sodas reduced by 2,8% compared to those which did nothing. This study also showed a reduction of 6,8% of free sugar bought via sweet beverage, a reduction of 13,4% of free sugar on sweet and gasified beverage and a reduction of 7,5% of free sugar bought via candies.

A summary and traduction of :
https://www.santemagazine.fr/actualites/actualites-alimentation/malbouffe-restreindre-les-promos-sur-les-produits-alimentaires-trop-sucres-une-strategie-payante-871280
may-line david0
may-line david0

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:39 pm

may-line david0 wrote:In order to fight against junkfood, a study was led in 20 grocery stores in Australia. The objective of this study was to minimise promotions regarding food and beverage that have too much sugar in it and then analyse results. Researchers indicate that by limiting promotions and marketing on food that is too sweet reduces their sales and this without impacting global performance of brands that sells this products.
To realize this study researchers invited 10 grocery store to established easy measures that will be described below.
As said before, Grocery stores stopped promotions on too sweet products like candies, biscuits, soda and sugar. They also remove these products of the end of the aisle and reduced their stocking space. Stickers that promoted still water like a healthy beverage and indicated the quantity of sugar in sodas were put on the floor.
Ten other grocery stores did absolutly nothing in order to compare results between those which did something and those which did nothing.
Finally, results showed that concerning those which actually did something, the share of added sugar bought by their client via food and sodas reduced by 2,8% compared to those which did nothing. This study also showed a reduction of 6,8% of free sugar bought via sweet beverage, a reduction of 13,4% of free sugar on sweet and gasified beverage and a reduction of 7,5% of free sugar bought via candies.

A summary and traduction of :
https://www.santemagazine.fr/actualites/actualites-alimentation/malbouffe-restreindre-les-promos-sur-les-produits-alimentaires-trop-sucres-une-strategie-payante-871280

I no longer need advertising. I have been indoctrinated. ummmm chocolate cyclops
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ismail Benlemlih Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:46 pm

hey! i love to talk about food, i enjoy eating moroccan food even if i left my country.

i cook in my house all moroccan food exept Couscous, i can invite you one day to see more how moroccan food is healthy (sometimes not). but it's always delicious, i used to eat every friday couscous in moroccan restaurant in Montpellier but here in Angouleme there isn't a restaurant to eat moroccan food and especially couscous.
i know cooking ''Tajine'', with chicken or beef and also with all vegetables, also ''Harrirra'' it's too popular french people come to Morocco: Marrakech, Agadir , Fes, essaouira...... to eat this kind of food
i want also to say that it isn't expansive to eat in morocco, you can eat a big healthy Tajine in Morocco with 7 euros, here, a french tacos or burger cost 7.5 and it isn't healthy.
i miss my mother's food, my father's too i wanted to go back to Morocco this vacation but they have canceled my flight, i'm going to Montpellier to find my moroccans friends and cook togheder as we used to do last year.
maybe one day i'll will open a restaurant here in this beautifull city because i noticed there isn't to much moroccan people here. it will be time to share our morrocan food culture
to end my reply, i like indian food too haha

Ismail Benlemlih

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by colineg Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:17 pm

What to say about food ? Except that I love food (every type of food ) and I enjoy cooking.
I find it fascinating that a single ingredient can be cooked in many ways and that we can mix a lot of ingredient together and have a fantastic meal.

I usually watch cooking TV show, like “Top chef”, “les carnets de Julie” or “Le Meilleur pâtissiers” and others. In France there are a lot of cooking programmes and there is a choice for everyone. It is really interesting to watch these types of show because it give me tips and ideas.

Cooking can be a hobby. During quarantine, people started cooking to keep themselves busy. 
And the French Chef, Cyril Lignac, took the opportunity to create a new cooking show live from his home. With three families and a celebrity as guests, everyone at home as well. 
It was a live show, broadcast every day at 6.40 pm. 
It was just before dinner so everyone could follow the recipe at the same time as Cyril Lignac. The dishes of the week were available on a website, thanks to that people could buy the ingredients before the show. 
Every day, people had a kind of "rendez vous" all together, which helped pass the time. 

colineg

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gwen Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:51 pm

I was really picky when I was little about food, but now I like to try new food. I don’t have favorite food but I love desert! I really like baking. I think food is really a pleasure but for some people it’s not like for people obese anorexic or bulimic. these diseases are very complicate, I think the food are not a pleasure for people who are obese anorexic or bulimic. For example, for anorexic people food it’s like a torture, they don’t want to eat
For people bulimic they eat a lot and then they regret so they throw up, it’s like crisis. I think it’s really difficult to get through this. They need to be supported by professional and family and friends.

gwen

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by salomekj Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:14 pm

If you want to know the culture of a country, you have to discover its food.
For me, there is nothing truer than this sentence. Because the food, and the fact of eat in general, is more than just a need to fill. It's a way to come together, to share a unique moment, and that's where the wealth of a country lies.

I come from Togo, in west Africa, and I leave my country to continue my studies. I haven't back for three years and one of the things I miss the most is food. Is it normal ? Absolutely ! Because when I think of a dish, I remember a smell, a flavor, a memory, a unique moment that I shared with loved ones. And it's the reason why I think that the food is powerfull. More than showing us the culture of a country, it allows us to remember who we are and where we come from.

salomekj

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by val_labeguere Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:42 pm

For me Italian gastronomy is the best in the world and it's not because I have Italian origins that I say that ! Whether with the wide variety of pastas, pizzas, cold cuts or cheeses, everything is delicious in this country in my opinion. However the French gastronomy is obviously excellent too and I love to eat snails on occasion !

Unfortunately for me I'm a very bad cook and when I try to make something other than pasta it's a disaster ... Luckily for me, and my stomach, the university restaurant costs only €1 per meal since this year and it allows me to diversify my meals more often. It's really a chance to be in a country where, as a student, you can enjoy a complete balanced meal almost every day for such a low cost ! I'm also fortunate to have excellent cooks in my family, for exemple when I go to see my grandmother I know I will enjoy her homemade 5 cheese pizza every time. I'm hungry just thinking about it!

val_labeguere

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Subject 3 Food Empty Food

Post by Nawel Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:30 am

I forgot to talk about food last week in the topic "hobbies". Eating and cooking are real hobbies for me. I very often eat in restaurants and fast foods and I always enjoy cooking.
During the lockdown, everybody turned into a chef, we all tried to make our own bread... I was so bored that I decided to do a kind of culinary world tour and to try recipes from every part of the world. The dishes I preferred were :
- Lebanon mezzes, Mujadarra (rice with lentils) meatballs and pita bread
- Turkish borek with bulgur and meat
- Indian butter chicken with rice and cheese naans
And talking about Indian food, I know you John like it, you should try the "Jardin due Kashmir" restaurant in downtown Angoulême, it's the best Indian restaurant I have been to in France (and I tried many Indian restaurants in different cities).

Nawel

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Amina Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:24 am

I'm going to dedicate this post to talk about one of my favorite fast-food restaurants, and in my opinion, it is not appreciated at its true value, compared to other fast-food restaurants. It’s Subway!
Firstly, I find that the sandwiches are particularly good, especially their breads and sauces. Then, from my point of view it’s quite copious and it wedges well, but it's still balanced. In fact, all kinds of vegetables can be found inside, like carrots, corn, cucumber, tomatoes etc... There are also many meat choices, including several vegetarian alternatives. The last but not least, their cookies are delicious. Moreover, we find them everywhere in the big cities now, except in Angouleme unfortunately…

Amina

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by LauraD Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:00 am

I’m not going to talk about one of my favorite food or something like that because I don’t really have one so I think it should be difficult to choose but I’ll talk about one of my favorite restaurant. It’s called “mamie bigoude” and it’s a creperie based in Limoges. The decoration of this restaurant is very unique. It’s like the house of our grandmother with different room of a house. It’s made with kitchen utensil and some antique fournitures (like beds, sofa, old closet and so on…) what makes the restaurant very special. And the food is excellent. There is a lot of different meats, buckwheat pancakes and burgers and all of that are excellent. And the desserts are literally amazing ! Those are presented in jars of jams and my favorite one is the “pot tata bigoude” (all of the menu is named with this type of names to stay in the family theme of the restaurant) which is made with speculoos, banana, Nutella and tiramisu cream and I assure you it’s excellent !

LauraD

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:31 am

Ismail Benlemlih wrote:hey! i love to talk about food, i enjoy eating moroccan food even if  i left my country.

i cook in my house all moroccan food exept Couscous, i can invite you one day to see more how moroccan food is healthy (sometimes not). but it's always delicious, i used to eat every friday couscous in moroccan restaurant in Montpellier but here in Angouleme there isn't a restaurant to eat moroccan food and especially couscous.
i know cooking ''Tajine'', with chicken or beef and also with all vegetables, also ''Harrirra''  it's too popular french people come to Morocco: Marrakech, Agadir , Fes, essaouira......  to eat this kind of food
i want also to say that it isn't expansive to eat in morocco, you can eat a big  healthy Tajine in Morocco with 7 euros, here, a french tacos or burger  cost 7.5 and it isn't healthy.
i miss my mother's food, my father's too i wanted to go back to Morocco this vacation but they have canceled my flight, i'm going to Montpellier to find my moroccans friends and cook togheder as we used to do last year.
maybe one day i'll will open a restaurant here in this beautifull city because i noticed there isn't to much moroccan people here. it will be time to share our morrocan food culture
to end my reply, i like indian food too haha

Great idea. An authentic Moroccan restaurant. Perhaps I'll be your silent partner.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:32 am

colineg wrote:
What to say about food ? Except that I love food (every type of food ) and I enjoy cooking.
I find it fascinating that a single ingredient can be cooked in many ways and that we can mix a lot of ingredient together and have a fantastic meal.
I usually watch cooking TV show, like “Top chef”, “les carnets de Julie” or “Le Meilleur pâtissiers” and others. In France there are a lot of cooking programmes and there is a choice for everyone. It is really interesting to watch these types of show because it give me tips and ideas.
Cooking can be a hobby. During quarantine, people started cooking to keep themselves busy. 
And the French Chef, Cyril Lignac, took the opportunity to create a new cooking show live from his home. With three families and a celebrity as guests, everyone at home as well. 
It was a live show, broadcast every day at 6.40 pm. 
It was just before dinner so everyone could follow the recipe at the same time as Cyril Lignac. The dishes of the week were available on a website, thanks to that people could buy the ingredients before the show. 
Every day, people had a kind of "rendez vous" all together, which helped pass the time. 

A COVID positive.

Cooking was becoming a disappearing art in France.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:34 am

gwen wrote:I was really picky when I was little about food, but now I like to try new food. I don’t have favorite food but I love desert! I really like baking. I think food is really a pleasure but for some people it’s not like for people obese anorexic or bulimic. these diseases are very complicate, I think the food are not a pleasure for people who are obese anorexic or bulimic.  For example, for anorexic people food it’s like a torture, they don’t want to eat
For people bulimic they eat a lot and then they regret so they throw up, it’s like crisis. I think it’s really difficult to get through this. They need to be supported by professional and family and friends.

It's too easy to eat too much. It's amazing how little our bodies need to survive especially with the sedentary lives that we now live.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next