UP English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Work on Sundays

+12
Ismail Benlemlih
camilleb
gwen
val_labeguere
may-line david0
colineg
salomekj
leaguilloteau01
Alix
Admin
floriendive
AlexisC
16 posters

Go down

Work on Sundays Empty Work on Sundays

Post by AlexisC Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:58 am

What do you think about the work on sundays ?
AlexisC
AlexisC

Back to top Go down

Work on Sundays Empty Re: Work on Sundays

Post by floriendive Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:36 am

On Sunday, I usually sleep and do nothing.. But I think that if I had to, I would work on Sunday, because I get paid more.
Of course, it depends on the job and as a student I don't have to work on sunday, so I don't really have a opinion...
floriendive
floriendive

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:40 pm

I treat Sunday almost the same as every other day, especially if talking about work. I correct, I prepare, I create, I research. I like the idea of a day when you don't "Work" but that's just a fantasy. The question of whether we should be forced to work every day of the week is another question but I have no problem and, in fact, I'm in favour of sunday work if people get a different day off.

Doctors, nurses, police etc... Don't get to not work on a Sunday.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Alix Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:22 pm

Sunday is like a tradition, it is the day when no one finally works, before it was. Personally, doing nothing on Sundays gets me down, to see stores open and knowing that I can see people in town I think it’s pretty cool. Then I think it can be good for the students so they can take on a student job, a lot of companies hire students to do Sundays.
On the other hand, in my opinion it should stay a choice for the employees and not be imposed on them because for many people it remains a day when they can enjoy being with family.

Alix

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by leaguilloteau01 Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:46 pm

I think it's important to keep a day off during the week, in France it always been on Sunday so it will take a loooooong time for people to accept it. So I'm not in favor of it because it push us to consume more and more and I like to be totally "off" and focus on myself.
But in another way, as you said John police, nurses... work on Sunday so why don't us ? I'm just afraid that people will consume more than usual and we won't decrease the overconsumption that we need. I also lived in Spain where some shops are open on Sunday and it saved me once (literally of drying out 😅 ) so why not 🤷🏻‍�.
leaguilloteau01
leaguilloteau01

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by salomekj Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:58 pm

Sunday is sacred. I think its important to have a day off. But like you said John, it's not a question of day but more of moment, of time. It depend of the way we managed our schedule. In this case, work on sunday is not a problem, because in the end, it's just a day like the others. But I have a job student the past year and during the summer and it happened to me to work on sunday. I don't think i was paid more but I'm glad I don't have to work on Sundays anymore. Sleep above all! Smile

salomekj

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by colineg Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:26 pm

During this period, I think that shops open on Sundays is a "solution" because now it is better when there are not many people in the same area. In some parts of France, the government has introduced a curfew at 6 p.m., and if you work during the week until 6 p.m., the only option you have left to do your groceries or shopping is on Saturdays, like most of French people. So, shops open on Sundays are not such a bad idea. It is also a good solution for people with special schedules who also work on Saturdays, they have another opportunity to make purchases.

colineg

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Work on Sundays Empty Work on sunday

Post by may-line david0 Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:28 am

I don't really have an opinion about this subject but I think that people should be free to choose whether they want to work on this day or not.  Smile
may-line david0
may-line david0

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:04 am

may-line david0 wrote:I don't really have an opinion about this subject but I think that people should be free to choose whether they want to work on this day or not.  Smile

Boring!!
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Post by val_labeguere Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:40 pm

In my opinion I think that Sunday work must remains something only optional for employees, for those who want to have an " extra-salary" in addition to their usual hours.

In our history and culture Sunday has a special place in our society, it's the day when we can finally enjoy our family, have rest and leisure without thinking about work, in theory of course because the reality is very different and it's hard to completely forget your work during only one day !  

Obviously, in certain important sectors such as health and safety it's difficult not to work on Sundays, but for all the other professions I think that you shouldn't have to work on Sundays if you don't feel like it. And above all I think that making people work against their will on Sundays would also be a bad thing in terms of productivity for the company as employees would be much less motivated.
However, in view of the current context linked to Covid, I think that Sunday work may be necessary for some companies in order to avoid bankruptcy and to erase financial losses related to the confinements.

So, except for exceptional situations such as the one we are currently experiencing, Sunday work must remain optional for me and only in exchange of financial benefits for the employee. And personally I hope I won't have to work on Sunday later because rest on Sunday is very important for me !

val_labeguere

Back to top Go down

Post by gwen Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:04 pm

I think work on sunday is a good idea because you can have more money. But I understand some people like to have their sunday for relax and stay with their family. So people should choose if they want to work on sunday or not but it still depend on the work they are doing because for some work sunday is the biggest day of the week so it's important for their to work on sunday.

gwen

Back to top Go down

Post by camilleb Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:47 am

At first, in the Middle-Age or even before it was the day of God so people didn’t work but had to go to the church. It was also the only day free for workers so they enjoyed it, as they did in the past (going to the church, eating and sleeping, then it Monday again). But today it quite different, usually people don’t work on Saturday and on Sunday, but sometimes they also have a day free in the middle of the week like Wednesday. Because it is like a tradition not working on Sunday, today is still kind of taboo. However there are exception for some jobs that we need every day like firefighters, the police, doctors (all relatives to medical). My parents are shopkeepers so for my it is a habit to work on Sunday. I also live next to the sea and having a shop open on Sunday during summer it is essential. When people are in vacations they don’t care if we are Thursday or Sunday, they just want to shop.

I think people should choose when they want to work or maybe they can choose to work one Sunday in a month instead of a Friday for example.

But I also think we should keep our Sunday off because, for some jobs, you are paid more so it is very interesting for the employees.

The opinion is different when you own the shop and you have employees compared to when you are just employee.

camilleb

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ismail Benlemlih Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:06 pm

For me Sunday is a day to organize my ideas, look at what I've done during the week and set goals for the coming week, but when I'm in exam period I work on Sunday too. sunday in morroco is different, all stores are opened, restaurant also , in France i found it boring Very Happy

Ismail Benlemlih

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by LauraD Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:53 pm

For me, Sunday is the day I can do nothing without feeling guilty or something like that because it is the last day of the week. But, as you said John, some people work on Sundays and probably have another day off. Some don't even take a day off but just a moment of rest. It depends on one's habits.
I'm probably saying that because, as a student, work is Monday to Friday, so it's Sunday off. But for me, the important thing is not the day of rest chosen, it's rather the fact of having a day of rest during the week to take the time to don’t work and do what you want for a day.

LauraD

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nawel Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:28 pm

As I said last week, I see no problem about working on Sunday. First, because I think that opening some stores on Sunday can be very useful : if you need to buy something or if you don't have enough time for shopping during the week or simply if you want to hang out with no reason. Secondly, because it keeps the economy running. And thirdly because the remuneration is more attractive so it's interesting for people who want to make money 🤑 especially for us, students, because we are broke... Also, the Law stipulates that except for some sectors like the hotel and restauration sector or the medical sector, working on Sunday is done on a voluntary basis. So anybody can be forced to work on Sunday if he is not from the 'exceptional sectors' and if it doesn't appear in the contract.

Nawel

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ZakariaEL Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:57 pm

Working on Sunday is something that people see it as weird or it shouldn’t be. This idea comes from the young age actually, indeed, the education and schools show that this day is a day off where you just chill. But in reality, Sunday is a day like the others. It’s just that in the society where we live, they give names to the days in the week but if you see deep inside, there is no big difference. What make us believe that is a day where people should be in there home and having a good time, is just the tradition.

ZakariaEL

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MeganeC Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:04 pm

I think that working on Sunday is at the same time a bad and a good idea. In fact, for some people and some stores who/which need some more money, it could help increase the activity, and customers should appreciate the access of some shopping on Sunday, especially for the ones who work during the week. But at the same time, it would be worrying for some workers to be asked to work on Sunday because it decreases their free time and get them more tired. It is a question of balance and compromise !

MeganeC

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down