UP English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

M1 Group A Second subject

+7
Julien R
Paul NADEAU
HOANG Thu Trang
Cédric F
NDONG DE SOUZA MYRLENE
Benjamin P.
Admin
11 posters

Go down

M1 Group A Second subject Empty M1 Group A Second subject

Post by Admin Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:20 am

Very few of you commented on the first subject that's disappointing and means that you lose points on participation, here's a chance to redeem yourself.

Second subject is Feminism.

Emma Watson recently made this speech and reignited the debate.

So what do you think to the speech? Where do you think Feminism stands at the moment? Where do you think it will go? Take the discourse where you wish.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

M1 Group A Second subject Empty Re: M1 Group A Second subject

Post by Benjamin P. Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:38 pm

Emma Watson changed well since Harry Potter. Her speech is strong because she knows about what she speaks. With movies Harry Potter, she became famous. As soon as she was 9 or 10 years old, her life was exposed in the media celebrity. At 2:50, she says that media began to sexualize her when she has 14 years old. She use her feelings and her experience to deliver her message. It's an appeal to the gender equality. Unfortunately, the road is still long.
Today, the disparities men/women (in particular concerning wages) are always present in our society. However, they occupy some more of 70 % of employees' jobs, which correspond to the levels of salary among most low. But, you should not ignore that they can victims of pure discrimination and that it's a real problem for our society.

Benjamin P.

Back to top Go down

Post by NDONG DE SOUZA MYRLENE Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:05 pm

HEFORSHE is the good compaingns. I considered the speech isn't feminist rather human, because she speak to the discrimination of the all sex , the différent inéqualities and the disparity, to compose the one parts at the problems in the world.  
The men created this world decided that women would be there for given birth to children, exclude women from The Busisness world, and others, where they cannot be equal participants.For me , the intervention is pacifist or basic, the real problem is the contraste on education in the world.

NDONG DE SOUZA MYRLENE

Back to top Go down

Post by Cédric F Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:00 pm

First I can say that she's not the little Harry Potter girl anymore, she really grew up and is pretty mature.
I can see that she is still down to earth because she cares about people inequalities and more particular gender inequalities.
I agree with her when she said feminism is quite unpopular word nowadays because it mainly makes think about radical women. But she presented feminism as an union of human values and insisted that it also concerns men.
I think it's a good for Heforshe to have Emma Watson to represent them et to share what they fight for because she brings a new image for the feminism and it could permit to make the new generation more concerned. And it's really important to sensitize the new generation because feminism problems are still true today and mainly in poor countries.
I wasn't that motivated to post something, but if not me who ? If not now when ? So I did it Wink

Cédric F

Back to top Go down

Post by HOANG Thu Trang Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:53 pm

I really love the series Harry Potter and character played by Emma - a little smart girl, lovely and honest. Being famous from the young age mades her childhood different than other little girls. Her life has always watched by the world and this might have caused her mistakes. However, after watching this video, I see a picture of a mature beautiful woman.
I can say that Emma represent an image of a modern woman: intelligent, beautiful and independent. Although the society has changed, women have treated better at work and their daily lives, around the world there are still a lot of places where the inequality between men and women is alarming. The represent of Emma for the rights of women in the campaign Heforshe is totally suitable and proper. Her popularity and brightness will effect positively on people, especially the young.
In the near future, I don't think that the inequality will totally disappear but I believe that women will know how to fight for feminism and the man will change.

HOANG Thu Trang

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul NADEAU Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:04 pm

The appeal of Emma Watson for right equality between men and women is very completed but certainly a little utopian. It’s true that today things change doubtlessly too slowly but they change even if as everybody I would want that they change faster. I am for the same rights between genders but in some countries things are going to take time to involve. How want you that in countries where women are relegated at the second row things progress durably? I think basically it is a problem of education. Moreover there are lot of prejudices and stigmatization around woman, which say woman must bring up children and that they can’t run or manage a business or a country. Because of that woman has to make a choice between her professional career and her family. Several women like Marissa Ann Mayer manager of Yahoo or Christine Lagarde made this choice. Even if the mentalities evolve there is progress to be made particularly concerning salaries and especially the gratefulness. I think that it is a question of respect regarding other whatever it is.

Paul NADEAU

Back to top Go down

Post by Julien R Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:55 pm

Like say Cedric, for me feminism was an unpopular word. Synonym of women who show their breasts to defend their ideas and opinions. Feminism has become an unpopular word because it is stigmatised and associated with hostility. Emma Waston as an Ambassador in ONU makes sense for young adult, student as we are. She is young, famous (but not rude as Paris Hilton or other Kardashian Rolling Eyes ). It's a powerfull speech, I'm agree with her ideas but i’m certainly don't agree with all she said in these 13 minutes.

Indeed, I think it's easier to watch Emma Waston speak in a room of ONU than do laws to defedn women rights. It is well that persons in ONU says that they supports the cause of Emma Waston but what are they actually doing about it ??? It's not enough to applaud. They are (and we) are only interested in other people's problems when they become our own. If like said Emma Watson, gender equality is to become an universal right, they should move more !

When I check heforshe.org/fr , I'm not sure that attitudes to women will change with the click in a button or share in Facebook or Twitter... Like said Paul, we must improve education of younger generation, remind to that women are equal of men.

I'm "touch" by her speech and her willingness to change received ideas. I'm a man and I hope, other men will really looks at their behaviors and the behavior of others towards women, and realise how much work he actually has to do (wages, stereotype, violence,...).

Julien R

Back to top Go down

Post by NGUYEN Hao Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:33 am

Emma Watson seems nervous at first, but I can see coherence in her speech. She starts with her own experience with her family, her school then her confession of a feminist with her male friend then to a bigger picture: Human rights, where people, men an women perceive the same rights, same opportunities in their life.

As she stated in her speech, no country at the moment achieves gender equality and it doesn't seem to change much from the talk of Hilary Clinton in 1997. She also mentions that it maybe due to the fact that there was too few men who participate the campaigns.

Having a look on the map of HeForShe, I found however, the more men's votes in US and Europe, the less votes on Africa. Is this the answer why do we have Angela Merkel as Chancellor of Germany or Marissa Mayer as CEO of Yahoo! when here are many women out there doing the job no men do in Jordan or even having no ID card in Guatemala?

NGUYEN Hao

Back to top Go down

Post by gbo64 Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:03 pm

Emma did beautiful speech with many charismas.
Overall I agree with what Emma Watson said. I think it's important to talk about it.
In France and other developed countries, women are considered.
In her speech she talks about women's rights, which is a very important thing. For me every woman in the world should have the same right as men.

The right to have access to school and the right to vote are truly important things. We criticize many countries on the rights of women, but in the end in France Women's rights have actually begun to evolve a few decades ago. Women’s rights have changed for hundred years but some problems remain to be developed.
- The first problem in the developed countries is the female wage and the position held

-The second problem is the consideration of women a housewife. It is really a problem, because for some families before all women should take care of children and housework and they can’t have a professional life.

For me in Europe and other developed countries, the problem is the vision that men have about women.

However in developing countries, women do not have the same right out of the women of Europe. These problems can be explained by several reasons:

-Religion is a negative impact on women's rights.
-I think that there is a positive impact of economics activities of a country on women rights because the right to work of a woman is important for them to be considered in this society.

gbo64

Back to top Go down

Post by Boudreault Kevin Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:05 pm

At the begginning, she says that feminism is a "bad word', I agree with that because Feminism is employed for lots of things.
From my point of view, the gender equality start by the equal right to benefit from a good education, but in the western world even today there is lots of problems : in everage, the wedge is notr equal between a women and a man, then, the highest responsabilitie's jobs like Chief Executive Officier for example, are occupated by men. So, those two problems are for my, examples of arguments that justify the necessity of the feminism movement.
For developing countries, they don't have this problem because women don't access to education and the root of the problem is change the state of mind populations to reach this neutrality.
In the world, there are different levels of feminism and it's difficult to take decision for all.
Should we forced women of every countries to go to school following the western model, without considering the disparities of culture of each countries ?

Boudreault Kevin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mehdi Lamri Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:34 am

Emma Watson is here speaking up for feminism and gender equality. She says her involvement in the cause, is in part due to situations that directly affects her life. But her concerns are also aiming the developping countries.
She promotes women rights in various cases.
Wages for example are for instance lower for women, for the same job. The employers claims the fact that a women is more likely to raise children and that it might disturb a carrier. But it's also an issue in many other fields. Girls are facing discrimination in terms of education . In the poorest countries girls are not going to school as long as boys. Their education level is not as good as boy's one .
The other main argument is that men would benefit from a better equality between men and women.
It's obvious work has to be done to fight inequalities among people. But woman and men also must express their differences.

Mehdi Lamri

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down