UP English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Week 6 Discussion Christmas

+6
Admin
EliseB
Kcuedari
selma
Océane
Elise
10 posters

Go down

Week 6 Discussion Christmas Empty Week 6 Discussion Christmas

Post by Elise Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:14 pm

Elise

Back to top Go down

Week 6 Discussion Christmas Empty BEST TOPIC EVER !

Post by Elise Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:15 pm

I LOVE Christmas, it’s my favorite period of the year! I love this festival for many reasons, I love the songs, the films, the decorations, the festive and friendly atmosphere. I grew up in the Vosges, so for me Christmas was about mountains and snow-covered fir trees, walks with the family around a frozen lake and watching Christmas movies around a nice fire. We would put up the tree and decorations with my brother and mother while listening to Christmas carols and we would end up baking Christmas biscuits. In reality, Christmas is not really a holiday but rather an atmosphere, a bit like hygge in the Netherlands.

Unfortunately, I have to admit that companies have taken advantage of this craze to turn it into a commercial party. As soon as the 1st of November is over, the shelves are decorated with Christmas and everything that follows, which spoils the atmosphere. I liked it better when it started in December, it had more meaning and value, so I understand people who are fed up. I try not to focus on that and just think about the magic of the holiday. And even though I'm already thinking about preparing presents in October, I really start celebrating it at the beginning of December. I think about the presents because for me, a present is prepared with a lot of love and time. Yes, I'm a bit of a ninny. So, I love Christmas and I can't wait to go back to my region to celebrate it and go to the Christmas markets.

Elise D santa

Elise

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Week 6 Discussion Christmas Empty Re: Week 6 Discussion Christmas

Post by Océane Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:56 pm

Hello everyone, this week I'm going to talk about Christmas Week 6 Discussion Christmas 1f385

From the day after Halloween, the toy shelves replace the Halloween costumes and the Christmas decorations take place in the streets and shop windows. Little by little, the magic of Christmas takes place in the city.

Every year, I love walking in the streets to see the illuminations at nightfall, walking in the Christmas markets while having a hot chocolate, decorating my Christmas tree and seeing my family for a meal. Although it's not always easy to come up with gift ideas for your loved ones, I love trying to come up with an idea that everyone will like. And I especially love the moment of opening the gifts when my family discover what I have bought them.
Even though I really appreciate this period which is synonymous with joy, love and sharing, I have to admit that as the years go by, this magic goes away a bit. In any case, it's not as strong as when I was little, that's for sure. But since my nephew was born, 4 years ago now, this magic comes back more and more, especially through his amazed look in front of the Christmas tree filled with presents that Father Christmas has discreetly put down in the night. It reminds me of when I was a little girl and I used to look forward to this day with great impatience.

Océane

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by selma Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:21 pm

I personally don't celebrate Christmas but I really like this time of year. I like the atmosphere around it, the chocolates, the decorations and especially the Christmas tvshows and movies. Therefore, let me introduce you to a new movie that will come out soon: Christmas, Bloody Christmas

I saw the trailer and it's really the opposite of what we're used to seeing (as the title says).
Normally, when you think of Christmas movies, you have the cliché of the urban woman who goes to the countryside to save her grandmother's Christmas shop and ends up falling in love with a man out of nowhere. And I like this kind of movie by the way, it's totally predictable but nice and it's something chill to watch.
There are also some classic movies that everyone loves: like How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (I love this movie by the way, I could rewatch it again and again).

But here, you have a horror movie about Santa Claus: actually, it’s the story of a robotic Santa Claus who escapes from his toy store and turns into a killing machine with an axe. To be honest, it looks a bit ridiculous (it will most likely be a flop), but why not? It could be interesting to watch something different.

selma

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kcuedari Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:05 pm

More than telling a story about Christmas or my opinion, my feelings about this holiday, I would like to open a topic that I find current in the perspective of people nowdays. This weekend I was in Poitiers and talking with my friends about where we will spend the holidays, this topic came up. The topic was: "HAS CHRISTMAS LOST ITS MEANING?" Our thoughts on the topic were similar and therefore the conclusions we reached as well.

Christmas is arguably the most well known and celebrated holiday around the world. The holiday used to be a celebration for Jesus Christs’ day of birth, but is that really what we celebrate on the 25th of December every year?   Some people tend to think that Christmas is changing and losing its meaning, that the traditional roots are becoming obsolete. In  winter , most people stay inside in their home that means that they  putt in all of their energy and time towards a winter holiday. That is why Christmas is so big, there is nothing else to look forward to.

Christmas has become all about presents and receiving, especially for younger children.Many children probably don’t even know that we celebrate it because it’s Jesus’s birthday. Old traditions have changed, and more and more people participate in the new kind of Christmas. The whole holiday has become a money pit. Large companies have especially changed our look on Christmas over the last few centuries. They promote their products heavily around Christmas because when kids see it, they will beg for it and the companies will profit large sums of money for their newly loved product.  Presents aren’t meaningful today . Before, when people received a gift, they knew they were taking from people who already didn’t have anything to give. However, today most people have money to give.

Holidays can be interpreted and dissected every which way. It is essential to keep an open mind about how people celebrate them. In general , I think that the origin isn’t as apparent anymore, but what is apparent is people enjoy what it is now. A season for giving and sharing with  dear people, to enjoy the simple moments of life without asking for much and treating  people better .That aspect of Christmas has been and still is, the most significant part.

Kcuedari

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by EliseB Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:58 am

Hi everyone!

Isn’t it too soon to speak about Christmas? Apparently not since there are already the christmas decoration in the street!
I personally think Christmas season start in december, and that’s when I get very excited about it! When I was a child, I was excited about the gifts, but now I am just excited to be reunited with my family. It’s an important day for us, and we do it the exact same way since I’m born. We proceed this way: on the 24th evening, my parents ask us what my brother and I want to eat (it can be whatever we want, from luxurious foods to very simple foods). Next year it was a BIG piece of very good beef meat it was so good, with lot of food with it. Then we go to sleep, we put the gifts under the christmas tree when we’re alone, and when we wake up in the morning we all discover the tree with every gifts under it. It’s so magical.
I’m always lacking of ideas of gifts for my family, but this year since I started crochet I think I will crochet gifts for them!!
Can’t wait to be home and see my family for Christmas holiday!

Thank you for reading, bye bye I love you

EliseB

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:22 pm

Elise wrote:

Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:32 pm

selma wrote:I personally don't celebrate Christmas but I really like this time of year. I like the atmosphere around it, the chocolates, the decorations and especially the Christmas tvshows and movies. Therefore, let me introduce you to a new movie that will come out soon: Christmas, Bloody Christmas

I saw the trailer and it's really the opposite of what we're used to seeing (as the title says).
Normally, when you think of Christmas movies, you have the cliché of the urban woman who goes to the countryside to save her grandmother's Christmas shop and ends up falling in love with a man out of nowhere. And I like this kind of movie by the way, it's totally predictable but nice and it's something chill to watch.
There are also some classic movies that everyone loves: like How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (I love this movie by the way, I could rewatch it again and again).

But here, you have a horror movie about Santa Claus: actually, it’s the story of a robotic Santa Claus who escapes from his toy store and turns into a killing machine with an axe. To be honest, it looks a bit ridiculous (it will most likely be a flop), but why not? It could be interesting to watch something different.

When I was a child we always used to watch a 1940's movie and it still makes me cry a little now:

but the true Christmas movie for Brits is

A Christmas Carol based on the book by Charles Dickens. The film has many many versions here's the 1970 version

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:34 pm

Kcuedari wrote:More than telling a story about Christmas or my opinion, my feelings about this holiday, I would like to open a topic that I find current in the perspective of people nowdays. This weekend I was in Poitiers and talking with my friends about where we will spend the holidays, this topic came up. The topic was: "HAS CHRISTMAS LOST ITS MEANING?" Our thoughts on the topic were similar and therefore the conclusions we reached as well.

Christmas is arguably the most well known and celebrated holiday around the world. The holiday used to be a celebration for Jesus Christs’ day of birth, but is that really what we celebrate on the 25th of December every year?   Some people tend to think that Christmas is changing and losing its meaning, that the traditional roots are becoming obsolete. In  winter , most people stay inside in their home that means that they  putt in all of their energy and time towards a winter holiday. That is why Christmas is so big, there is nothing else to look forward to.

Christmas has become all about presents and receiving, especially for younger children.Many children probably don’t even know that we celebrate it because it’s Jesus’s birthday. Old traditions have changed, and more and more people participate in the new kind of Christmas. The whole holiday has become a money pit. Large companies have especially changed our look on Christmas over the last few centuries. They promote their products heavily around Christmas because when kids see it, they will beg for it and the companies will profit large sums of money for their newly loved product.  Presents aren’t meaningful today . Before, when people received a gift, they knew they were taking from people who already didn’t have anything to give. However, today most people have money to give.

Holidays can be interpreted and dissected every which way. It is essential to keep an open mind about how people celebrate them. In general , I think that the origin isn’t as apparent anymore, but what is apparent is people enjoy what it is now. A season for giving and sharing with  dear people, to enjoy the simple moments of life without asking for much and treating  people better .That aspect of Christmas has been and still is, the most significant part.

I agree with you, I think if you asked many people they wouldn't even know it was Jesus birthday.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cgadouas Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:07 pm

Christmas for me is about family.
I love spending the night before cooking all the meals with my family and then the next day eating all the dishes we made together.
I love the fact that all me family gathered altogether to celebrate a night of sharing and laughing.
But what I love the most is to take (with my other cousins) my little cousins to look out the window to try to see Santa Claus while singing the Christmas songs that we sang as children. It makes me nostalgic because, for me, there is no real Christmas magic anymore but we always try to keep it alive for the little ones.

cgadouas

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:13 pm

cgadouas wrote:Christmas for me is about family.
I love spending the night before cooking all the meals with my family and then the next day eating all the dishes we made together.
I love the fact that all me family gathered altogether to celebrate a night of sharing and laughing.
But what I love the most is to take (with my other cousins) my little cousins to look out the window to try to see Santa Claus while singing the Christmas songs that we sang as children. It makes me nostalgic because, for me, there is no real Christmas magic anymore but we always try to keep it alive for the little ones.

The food bounce

Christmas is best when you are a young child. After that you have to re-invent it for who you are. As a young single man it became about going back and seeing my parents, though for many of my peers it was about parties and drinking, as a family man it was about the children and after all your children have left home, it's about them coming back (if they can). For a few years my children/grandchildren couldn't visit so we went away for 3 days each 24 December to different cities and sampled christmas from a hotel and at a special restaurant whilst visiting a new city.
Admin
Admin
Admin

cgadouas likes this post

Back to top Go down

Week 6 Discussion Christmas Empty Is the Christmas period still so magical?

Post by Julie C Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:18 pm

This week's theme doesn’t inspire me much. I remember when I was a child I loved Christmas, decorating the tree with brightly lit garlands, cutting out the toys from the magazine to make my list of presents for Santa Claus. It was a holiday that I was looking forward to because Christmas was synonymous with gifts, family meals where we all gathered around a table to eat foie gras, salmon, oysters it was a real festive meal. Every year the streets were lit up, people and shops decorated their living rooms and windows in the colours of Christmas. Santa Claus appeared in the shops, the shelves were filled with toys. The last month of the year took on a fairy-tale atmosphere thanks to the lights, the decorations, and the carols (a thought for Mariah Carey)

But for a few years now I no longer find this magical, fairy aspect. I don't decorate my house, I don't make a tree, I don't wait as impatiently for the 24th in the evening or the 25th in the morning. I am more and more annoyed by Christmas, which I think has lost its charm. Children give the impression of being attracted only by the idea of having news gifts always bigger and more expensive and they do not enjoy enough the atmosphere so special of this time of the year. Some people show hypocrisy, everyone becomes nice and happy, people are suddenly generous to each other but it's all temporary.

I may be caricaturing a little, but I find these negative aspects of Christmas are more and more present. Or maybe I'm getting older and become an embittered old person Week 6 Discussion Christmas 1f602 . BUT, I still love receiving chocolates (and maybe some money) and eating salmon during Christmas dinner !!

Julie C

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Week 6 Discussion Christmas Empty Why I love christmas

Post by julia durand Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:50 pm

I like christmas because this is the time of the year when the cities are all decorated with beautiful lights and that makes even the worst cities cuter. For me it also represent family. I’ve spent almost all my christmas with my mom family and I love this gathering. Everyone is happy to be here because the kids have their present and parents enjoy this moment together (they also love the present part of this celebration). The last part that is really cool at christmas is the meal because there are a lot of delicious food that we eat like foie gras, roasted potatoes, Yule log or chocolate.

julia durand

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Week 6 Discussion Christmas Empty Christmas market in Reims

Post by efobert Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:35 pm

The chritsmas market in Reims is the best place to be in the christmas hollyday. It's the third most beautiful Christmas market in France.

There are lot of pretty small huts. The atmosphere is very hearty and enchanting. You can discover different space. There are canadian hut,russian hut,Auvernian hut, food hut and artisanal product hut. In food hut, we can buy pancakes, waffles, churros, sausages, putine, "raclette" ect... there are for all desires.
Ever better we can go to walk in the Kid's univers. There are a big house with santa's workshop and the santa's house. When i has a child. I went in this house and the Santa's asked me my gift list for chrismas, then he gaves me a fruit jelly or a candy in chocolate and my mother took photos. I was the happiest of children. santa

If you will rest for the end of the evening. We can profite to see the Regalia Show's. It's illumination of the cathedrale. It's the most beautiful cathedral with colors and music.
It's so fantastic. It's less than an hour from Paris by train.

Week 6 Discussion Christmas Noel_a_reims_c_ville_de_reims_0

Good day,
Elise F

efobert

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum