UP English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Top Gear (UK)

2 posters

Go down

Top Gear (UK) Empty Top Gear (UK)

Post by Valentin Rigoux Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:53 am

So I'm not really watching any series at the moment but I'm into the old top gear UK with the 3 hosts that are now moving to Amazon Prime with The Grand Tour: Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May. Ok it's a show but I'm thinking it could be ok cause it was working on a similar basis of seasons and episodes as a TV series.

This week I was watching a bit of the 18th series, yesterday I watched the 5th episode so I'll speak about this one.
As a viewer remind them in a letter they didn't race a car against something that isn't a car in this series yet, so they opened up with a race between a Škoda Fabia S2000 with a really racer at the wheel, whom I don't remember the name, and Yves Rossy, the jet-powered flying man. They then compared 2 half family half sport cars: the Maserati GranTurismo MC Stradale and the Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Coupe Black Series, results are the 2 aren't really good, especially the Merc which got the power of losing its tires in 6 miles on a track.
As usual the show had a star in a "reasonably priced car", this time it was Matt Smith, my favorite Doctor from Doctor Who and it appears he's also the fastest around top gear's track (actually not the same car as David Tennant and Christopher Eccleston but he was like 6 sec faster on a 1min45sec long track).
They finished the show reviewing Saab's history, the company had just closed done and they felt a bit sad about it, even if after showing that the Swedish car maker didn't do many great cars in more than 50 years of existence.

Valentin Rigoux

Back to top Go down

Top Gear (UK) Empty Re: Top Gear (UK)

Post by Valentin Rigoux Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:17 am

I finished the 18th series this week and a part of the 6th episode was a bit special: it focuses on 2 cars created "aero-engined". Basically it's one car made by a german guy and the other one by Bentley which are powered by aircraft engines!
Fact is they're really big, loud, don't have a roof and aren't really good on the road... but the madmen who created them must be happy they've done it.

The rest of the program was about 3 circuits cars and their capabilities. On the track they found they were pretty cool, going fast, cornering well etc. But after that they tested them on the road and it wasn't the same conclusion: they were "rubbish". No windscreen when going fast on the motorway tears your face apart and that plus no roof: you don't want to drive them when it rains. You get really cool and it hurts your face. So they discovered why they're only "circuit cars".

Valentin Rigoux

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:12 pm

I'm not really into cars but I did happen to see the Rolls Royce they had recently. Matt LeBlanc is a funny guy. I'd quite like a Rolls.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Valentin Rigoux Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:20 am

I didn't try to watch the new version but apparently it's not really good and more importantly not really the same as with those 3 mates. Thus i'm really exited about The Grand Tour, their new show coming the 18th of november (we have a date now !!).

Last episode i watched is the last of the 18th series and actually we get to see the new top gear host: Chris Evans as May goes to his place and has a go into one of his many Ferrari the 250 GT California a rather old but stylish (and still good) one.
They also try to show than fooling around in a car isn't that expensive, in fact they think rallycross can be cheaper than golf. They explain that golf material is very expensive and buying a car at around 500/600 quids allow them to go around a track once a week and have more fun.
I'm personally not sure it's really cheaper cause you'll a lot of money to spend under reparations every week + fuel etc. Anyway Clarkson and Hammond succeed to finish 2nd and 3rd in the rallycross competition they took part in.

Valentin Rigoux

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:18 am

I despise Jeremy Clarkson and his views.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Valentin Rigoux Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:47 pm

Yeah I mean he's the reason they left BBC, as my cousin told me "he's a jerk but he knows how to drive" and in the show he's good and funny. But probably not the best mate you could hope for.

As I'm going backwards into the seasons I started 17th series this week.
In the third episode Sebastian Vettel establish a new record around top gear's track and "some say" he's even faster than the Stig.
They're reviewing the McLaren MP4-12C and even though Clarkson says it's good he thinks he lacks something, like it got no fizz about it. And once again they conclude that the Ferrari 458 is still the best supercar there is.
Clarkson and Hammond are this week trying to find good second-hand cars for the price of the cheapest brand new car in England: the Nissan Pixo at 6 999£. They find pretty good sporty cars, a Merc and a BMW, very well equiped, fast, good looking etc... But May thinks at least one of them two will break down in less than 2 weeks and in the next episode they reveal that Clarkson's Merc did.

Valentin Rigoux

Back to top Go down

Post by Valentin Rigoux Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:50 am

I've just watched the first episode of the 16th series. In this one James May drives the fastest car they ever had around their track: the Ariel Atom V8, which beat the bugatti veyron by more than a second.
The news part is filled with new car, a Jaguar, a Lancia, and both don't look very great for that expensive in my opinion.
Clarkson and Hammond, in separated parts both talks about a car they think is great. Jeremy speaks about the Skoda Yeti, pretty cheap, though, practicable etc. And Richard about the 911, one of his favorite super car, said by some the just be a Beetle with a spoiler, and actually loses a race against it.

Valentin Rigoux

Back to top Go down

Post by Valentin Rigoux Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:41 pm

Last episode i watched was the 2nd of the 16th series. In this one they review the ferrari 599 GTO, which has a legendary name that wasn't used in decades and was originally use for racing cars, and this one isn't. Clarkson thinks the 599 GTO isn't really good and it's a shame that they gave it the GTO tag, plus, it's not even a racing car.

In this one they receive the 3 hosts from top gear australia, by the way australian accent is a bit hard to understand, and they do some silly challenges to see who's better. After many cheating, like having the stig driving instead of James May they ultimately won at the final rally race.

Valentin Rigoux

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down