UP English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

week 7 - How can we make our University better?

+15
Olivier Pruleau
Jules Rolland
Alexiane Sénéchaud
Diabel
Sébastien Rouleau
kilian pousset
Gabriel Pilon
SY DEMBA
TR
TAO SIHAN
Simon Trichet
Emilie Virfollet
Rindra Razafindrahaingo
Antoine Palard
Admin
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

week 7 - How can we make our University better? Empty week 7 - How can we make our University better?

Post by Admin Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:48 pm

I've stolen this from another group as I didn't think "best season" would inspire you, whereas here it'll be interesting to see what you put. Don't complain it could've been a discussion on Transgender and it's place in our new society.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

week 7 - How can we make our University better? Empty Re: week 7 - How can we make our University better?

Post by Antoine Palard Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:18 pm

To improve our university, I think that it would be necessary to begin by putting back the heating in the amphitheater ! pale Cool
Furthermore I think that some simple and quite inexpensive measures, as enlarge libraries to allow has more students to study there; or the restoration of certain corridors. But all this is material, we can, I also think of favoring the online lessons (to be sure to stay warm Very Happy ) France is also late on a crucial point, in English, that is why to increase the number of hour assigned to this teaching adorned me essential.

Antoine Palard

Back to top Go down

week 7 - How can we make our University better? Empty Re: week 7 - How can we make our University better?

Post by Rindra Razafindrahaingo Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:09 pm

Antoine Palard wrote: France is also late on a crucial point, in English, that is why to increase the number of hour assigned to this teaching adorned me essential.
Good point!
To improve our university, we could organize an yearly "olympic-like" game between all of its departments. Here in france, I notice is a lack of pride of being in a given high school or university (except the prestigious ones of course), so such games may solve this issue
Rindra Razafindrahaingo
Rindra Razafindrahaingo

Back to top Go down

Post by Emilie Virfollet Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:33 pm

I entirely agree with Antoine, he summarized all the points that seem important to me!
We need a larger workspace because many medical student come to our librairy an after we don't have place ! Why not build a building entirely dedicated to work like the Ruche but bigger!
I also agree for English. With only one and half hours per week of English is ridiculous but I like the fact that it's an English who teaches us and not a French teacher because at least we have one and half hours 100% in English!
To improve the university I think it would require more control because it pushes us to work more regularly and it gives us opportunity to improve our notes. And also, I don't understand why we don't have access to our copies. Because with our copies we can see our mistakes and especially to understand them.
Teachers told that the notes are not the most important and the most important is to understand the lesson, ok but if we make mistakes and we can't t even correct us it's nil and illogical!
But I find positive aspects at university! Like giving us the chance to go abroad, do internships and sports to students for example!

Emilie Virfollet

Back to top Go down

Post by Simon Trichet Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:03 pm

I think we can improve it in differents ways :
First of all the premises despite that they are already well. This would make our university more competitive and attractive that other universities.
Also, increase partnerships with foreign universities so that more students will can to leave or come and allow our university to make itself known abroad.
As Antoine and Emily, we must absolutly increase the number hour english lessons because we are goats compared with other European Union countries.
To propose a very large number of training courses with internships allowing to acquire experience, which is today essential to integrate a company.
Technical training that not found elsewhere.

Simon Trichet

Back to top Go down

Post by TAO SIHAN Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:33 pm

As far as I am concerned, to make our university better, it should not only improve the learning environment, but also the quality of education. It is sure that somt lessons students didn't interest in it cause there are always absent in some lessons. Sometimes we feel some lessons didn't very important so we prefer to do something waht we think it's meaningful. And sometimes even we go to the class, we didn't listen the professor. One part of reason, we are not self-discipline,our attitude is not correct. But on the other hand, I think the professor is responsible as well as. If his lesson is interesting enough, I'm sure almost everyone can be concentrative in the class. So, we should change the way how to teach students. In fact, it's hard to find the balance between the students and the professors, but it is necessary to be efficient during 1h30 or 2h of class with the quality as high as possible.

TAO SIHAN

Back to top Go down

Post by TR Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:24 pm

I don't know our University very well yet but all I can say is that professors need to find attractive ways to teach.
If their aim is to share their knowledges, they are generally responsible for our successes and failures.
French teaching system needs to stop being so classical actually. We need dynamism.
TR
TR

Back to top Go down

Post by SY DEMBA Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:41 pm

Everybody is arguing about education, the system, etc... And i do agree with pretty much all of them but i think there is an very important point that need to be mentioned: The GOD DAMN COFFEE. It is Expensive, It Taste so Bad and on top of that there is so little of it that i can hold it on the palm of my hand. You could say that i don't have to buy it if i don't like it but I CAN'T live without coffee. I mean there is also 4 coffee machines in A1 but guess what, it will soon be 1 year since there are all out of service !!!! Coincidence ? I THINK NOT
SY DEMBA
SY DEMBA

Back to top Go down

Post by Gabriel Pilon Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:54 pm

Poor Demba... I think this is the real problem. To make this university better, we could go all together to the coffee shop (Come on you guys, i'm not talking about Amsterdam afro drunken ) and buy Demba the best coffee he've even taste !! Then he can be happy again and activate his African super power to make the University a better place to stay ! With his shinny smile, his nice jokes and his warm complexion, Demba will warm up these cold auditoriums, make us laugh and bring back the sun in every eyes ! But i know him. He will not stop saving life after solving the University problem. In this African heroic momentum, Demba will go to the town and make the whole Poitiers smiling and shinning like one sun. Day after day, mounth after mounth, he will continu to save the world from sadness, cold, madness, boredom and EVEN ... bad coffee !

All hail the Grand Demba afro !!
Gabriel Pilon
Gabriel Pilon

Back to top Go down

Post by kilian pousset Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:25 pm

Hmm, after reading all of your posts, i'm not agree with someones.
And i think that my point of view changed since my stay in warsaw at the faculty of economics sciences there.
Warsaw is the capital of Poland and the population is around 2 millions. First of fall, concerning the premises, i can assure you, that we have something better than them and from FAR FAR FAR. Moreover, concerning a little city of france like poitiers, our university is not to complain for sure !
What can be improve ? English for sure, because we are all agree to say that 1h30 by week is not enough in link with our level of studies and our subject. Because when i see that we have lot of subjects uninteresting and just 1h30 of english, it's terrible .. Maybe more, when i see the amount of free time that i have by week ..
Maybe more means are required, because university is welcoming more and more people at the university in france in general but also in Poitiers, year after year..

ah i forgot !

I don't see you at the library Emilie, and i always find places... Don't be so shy, and take a seat next to the beautiful guys who study in medecine like you said Rolling Eyes

kilian pousset

Back to top Go down

Post by SY DEMBA Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:10 pm

Gabriel Pilon wrote:Then he can be happy again and activate his African super power to make the University a better place to stay ! With his shinny smile, his nice jokes and his warm complexion, Demba will warm up these cold auditoriums, make us laugh and bring back the sun in every eyes !
Gabriel.... i thought we had a deal !! You were supposed to be the only one aware of my african super powers Sad, now every body is going to ask for a wish whenever i'm walking outside. But indeed, it is true that the bad coffee is actually blocking my powers.
UPDATE : Coffee machines are back guys, i'm out of this !!!
SY DEMBA
SY DEMBA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sébastien Rouleau Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:27 pm

Hi everyone,

Like all other system of Education, the french educational system has its defects and in my opinion, I think the big problem in France we want to force the young people to do long studies. We don't consider the capacities and the preferences of each person. To join week's topic, with this way of thinking, we end up with univesities overloaded with too many students. So, the working conditions are not optimal and many students stop the studies because they don't like their faculty or they don't know the work opportunities of their faculty.

Sébastien Rouleau

Back to top Go down

Post by Diabel Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:24 pm

Any system that wants to be successful must be dedicated to its core. As said President Nelson Mandela "tout those that you do for the people without the people you do against the peuple". " If we take the example of the University we can say that the core is US students. The question that must be asked is: is it that we students are at the heart of this system. For my part, I would say Yes. It is obvious that there is no such thing as perfection but our administrative authorities do their utmost so that we have at our disposal the more ways. As my classmates have said there's points that could be improved. We're not too greedy in demand but view it is our future that is at stake, we want to maximize our opportunities of success stories. If you can get better ones there, we're interested.
To end I have a request addressed to Mr. John COX regarding me all assuming that there will be students who will say "NON" If you could do the English test that will be Wednesday in the French language it would be great for me.

Diabel

Back to top Go down

Post by Alexiane Sénéchaud Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:32 pm

I'm agree with the majoryty of people. Is not in 1h30 per week we can progress in english. I think i'm a good example to prove that! Even if y try to watch series in english, is not sufficiant. As i know is not in 1h30 i can improve my comprehension, I cannot to get motivate. Wherewas is a good thing to be bilingual.

Moreover, i don't understand why intership is not mandatory. Majorityteachers, and professionnals said that experience is essential. Other licences possess an intership like in biology, medecine or in computer science.

Then I rejoin the concept to reduce price of coffee or operate coffee machine! I'm addict of coffee...

Alexiane Sénéchaud

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:00 pm

Diabel wrote:Any system that wants to be successful must be dedicated to its core. As said President Nelson Mandela "tout those that you do for the people without the people you do against the peuple". " If we take the example of the University we can say that the core is US students. The question that must be asked is: is it that we students are at the heart of this system. For my part, I would say Yes. It is obvious that there is no such thing as perfection but our administrative authorities do their utmost so that we have at our disposal the more ways. As my classmates have said there's points that could be improved. We're not too greedy in demand but view it is our future that is at stake, we want to maximize our opportunities of success stories. If you can get better ones there, we're interested.
To end I have a request addressed to Mr. John COX regarding me all assuming that there will be students who will say "NON" If you could do the English test that will be Wednesday in the French language it would be great for me.

Suspect

since you asked -yes.

but not really. Evil or Very Mad
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gabriel Pilon Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:01 pm

SY DEMBA wrote:
Gabriel Pilon wrote:Then he can be happy again and activate his African super power to make the University a better place to stay ! With his shinny smile, his nice jokes and his warm complexion, Demba will warm up these cold auditoriums, make us laugh and bring back the sun in every eyes !
Gabriel.... i thought we had a deal !! You were supposed to be the only one aware of my african super powers Sad, now every body is going to ask for a wish whenever i'm walking outside. But indeed, it is true that the bad coffee is actually blocking my powers.
UPDATE : Coffee machines are back guys, i'm out of this !!!

Sorry Demba, i had to tell them. I couldn't leave them without the Sunny African power. They had suffer for to long and now they deserve to be free.
Demba ! Now that the coffee is back to University, activate your African ability and GIVE US BACK OUR HAPPINESS ! Let the strength and crunchy coffee seed crisp in yourself ! And grow your power over 9000 ! afro lol!
Gabriel Pilon
Gabriel Pilon

Back to top Go down

Post by Emilie Virfollet Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:19 am

kilian pousset wrote:

I don't see you at the library Emilie, and i always find places... Don't be so shy, and take a seat next to the beautiful guys who study in medecine like you said Rolling Eyes

However i go with Yolo the star !!
And my heart is already caught you know.. I don't dare to go to see the other boys... Embarassed

Emilie Virfollet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rindra Razafindrahaingo Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:23 pm

I guess we could start at 10am to finish around 4pm, it would be great. Sweden just set up their 6hours schools to optimize learning, and I completely agree on that
Rindra Razafindrahaingo
Rindra Razafindrahaingo

Back to top Go down

Post by Rindra Razafindrahaingo Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:24 pm

Emilie Virfollet wrote:
kilian pousset wrote:

However i go with Yolo the star !!
And my heart is already caught you know.. I don't dare to go to see the other boys... Embarassed
maybe you should give it a try cheers
Rindra Razafindrahaingo
Rindra Razafindrahaingo

Back to top Go down

Post by Jules Rolland Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:21 pm

Hello I think the university must review its policy. Accept more students while not increasing the number of professors seems surreal. Moreover some professors have the inadequate teaching methods. For example in an amphitheater some do not look up from their slideshow that's when It is understandable why professors are also researchers. They are better at writing articles than teaching. If not a little paint in the walls of building A would not be too much. Electrical outlets in all the amphitheatres would also be a good idea. However, the university has hired a very competent English teacher. But unfortunately it can not save the faculty.

Jules Rolland

Back to top Go down

Post by Olivier Pruleau Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:11 pm

I'm agree with jules and i think we should have in amphitheater somes professionals to teach us one different vision in some courses. It will be easy to set up in marketing, international trading or in finance. This would allows us to see the real purpose of notions or courses that we learn and another things that a professor who are reading a slideshow. I think student should choose his courses and create a kind of study programme who would allow him to focus on what fascinates him.

Olivier Pruleau

Back to top Go down

Post by Peyrat Tom Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:33 am

I share Jules and Olivier point of vue, The real problem, as Bouba Olga told us few years ago, is that the teachers in university have a fix salary for teaching, regardless of what and how they teach, and a bonus, based and how many and how great are there research. So it's easy to see what can happen here, agency theory, the uncommited teachers have more interest to work and there researches than to teach. So to make our university better, it can be a good way to change the way teachers are paid, or to create a selection or a training to improve the quality of teaching.

Peyrat Tom

Back to top Go down

Post by po-vinel Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:11 am

This subject is not easy. I think it is very important that students and teachers feel good to study. That is why I think it is of the utmost importance to paint the grass and the buildings in pink, to see life as well. For me it is also important not to have cold winter in the rooms. Our current absence risks lowering the GDP of France. We have to think of françois Hollande who works hard on his scooter to help France. To attract more people and teachers, I propose to burn the library. We will have all the attention of the media and the state. So we can ask for more help.

po-vinel

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:35 am

Olivier Pruleau wrote:I'm agree with jules and i think we should have in amphitheater somes professionals to teach us one different vision in some courses. It will be easy to set up in marketing, international trading or in finance. This would allows us to see the real purpose of notions or courses that we learn and another things that a professor who are reading a slideshow. I think student should choose his courses and create a kind of study programme who would allow him to focus on what fascinates him.

I like the idea of personalised courses - maybe after a common first year. Administration would blow a fuse though.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tendron lou Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:40 pm

What on could improve? Good question, I agree for most post comments made before. Especially for the hourly volume devoted to English, an hour and a half a week is not enough while English is important today in the world of work. At the level of the equipment, it is rather well with the computer rooms. As there are more and more students, the university should improve the capacity of the library are more and more full as the car parks. But in general we are not complain while in other countries do not work under the same conditions as us.

tendron lou

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next