UP English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

People of the East and West think differently

+3
Maïa HERVE
MU Jiejie
Admin
7 posters

Go down

People of the East and West think differently Empty People of the East and West think differently

Post by Admin Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:54 pm

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20170118-how-east-and-west-think-in-profoundly-different-ways

It's rather a long article but in essence it boils down to studies showing that People from East Asia tend to be more collectivist and people in the West, especially Americans, tend to be more individualist. We look at the world differently both in thought and sight - People from East Asia even look more at the background of a picture than people from the West.

Choose the 2 words most related from train, bus, track ? It'll be interesting to see if You Frenchies choose the same 2 as Zicheng and JieJie.

Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

People of the East and West think differently Empty Re: People of the East and West think differently

Post by MU Jiejie Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:39 pm

train and track....I'm a true Chinese  ahah
It's true that the collectivism is more encouraged in our schools.
In addition, I look forward to the answer of Zicheng. Because I'm from south China, but she is from north China. It's interesting to see if the result of survey that the thinking orientation appeared to reflect the local agriculture of the region is true Very Happy

MU Jiejie

Back to top Go down

People of the East and West think differently Empty Re: People of the East and West think differently

Post by Maïa HERVE Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:20 pm

Also "train & track" for me ^^ Maybe because I've lived a little bit all around the world? But I have another hypothesis: in the article they mostly talk about the Western (refering mainly to Americans I think) and the East Asian way of thinking, the African one is omitted.

The thing is that my mom is from Africa, and I was also born there. We both enjoy watching East Asian series and we often marvel on how the culture portrayed in those series ressembles the african culture (respect to the elders, living with your parents until old...).

Could it be that East Asians and Africans have the same way of thinking (in some aspects at least) ?

P.S.: I just did the experiment with my brother, he chose the same as me "train & track".

P.P.S.: You might want to check this link too, for a further look into the differences between East and West.
         http://www.aussiepete.com/2009/07/asian-vs-western-cultures-pictorial.html

Maïa HERVE

Back to top Go down

Post by Charlène Deslandes Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:47 pm

It will probably be strange but I'm French and  I chose "train & track" also. Maybe because it sounds better...

I think, as it is said in the article, that we are more individualists because it's in our culture. We've been educated with the idea of being the best of ourselves to succeed individually in life. We have this idea of competition, even if we don't really take care of it every day. Maybe Jiejie and Zicheng have observed that, when we are in class or in the streets.

Charlène Deslandes

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:50 pm

Charlène Deslandes wrote:It will probably be strange but I'm French and  I chose "train & track" also. Maybe because it sounds better...

I think, as it is said in the article, that we are more individualists because it's in our culture. We've been educated with the idea of being the best of ourselves to succeed individually in life. We have this idea of competition, even if we don't really take care of it every day. Maybe Jiejie and Zicheng have observed that, when we are in class or in the streets.

Or maybe ladies are more collectivist than men.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zicheng SHA Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:23 pm

For me, of course,train and track. In my head if there is a picture with a train, there must be a rail. And I was taught by my teacher in elementary school:“Collectivism is higher than individualism”;or,”Think of others before you do anything“. And yes, I have observed that my classmates always have the idea of being the best of themselves, and the idea of competition. In China, of course, we also pay attention to personal development, but a contribution for collective is more commendable...even at the expense of personal interests...

Zicheng SHA

Back to top Go down

Post by LORCA Maxime Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:24 am

For my part I would choose rather track and bus. I agree with what she said charlene, like what on one step necessarily the same culture, and unfortunately in Europe and generally in France, we are taught Not necessarily to think in group, but more individually.I have as a project in a small moment (when I have finished studies) to discover the Asian countries.It is a friend of mine who motivated me as he currently does a world tour stop and he is really surprised by the way of life of the Asian countries and especially the Japanese. And he really does not want to come back to France after his experience ...

LORCA Maxime

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:43 am

Track is not truck.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Morais.Cécilia Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:51 pm

I also think that we are more individualistic because of our culture. Asia education is often presented as "Live for the good of the homeland" in the west it's not at all the same mentality is more "Live for us". But when you look at tokyo for example, on the streets nobody crosses, they are all on their phone and many people are alone so the mentality still tend to become Westernized. I also think that people living in cities are more individualistic than people living in the countryside
Morais.Cécilia
Morais.Cécilia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down