UP English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SERIE - TED Talks

3 posters

Go down

SERIE - TED Talks Empty SERIE - TED Talks

Post by Amelie Trarieux Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:32 pm

So this week I made the choice to not talk about a TV show but about TED talks. TED talks are conferences everywhere in the World that focus on many different subjects. The key to a good TED talk is the value, the new idea that it brings. When I say that they can be about a very large variety of subject is that it can talk about the latest advances we made about cancer to how great leader inspires action. They’ve been around for a decade and really some subjects teach you a lot. Everyone can find something that they’ll be interested in.
Just to let you know, you can watch TED shows for free, just follow them on Youtube or just go on their website. If you want to, you can sign up for free using just an email and you can select preferences of subject that they will recommend to you. I really encourage you to give it a try cause each video last less than 20 minutes so you don’t really have time to get bored. (You can change the subtitles if you want them in French or English or any other languages…)

Here I’ve selected a few of the videos I’ve watched lately.

So this first one is how your body language shapes who you are: https://www.ted.com/talks/amy_cuddy_your_body_language_shapes_who_you_are
It gives you a few ideas on how to change and adapt your body language to be more confident, to help you daily and focus in particular on a « power pose »

Then this « old » video from 2009 might seem like less qualitative as its older but really got my attention 2 years ago (and I actually talked about it in an internship interview and « my future boss » really appreciated it). https://www.ted.com/talks/simon_sinek_how_great_leaders_inspire_action?language=fr#t-1065587 It’s about how great leaders inspire. How to sell something to someone, where is the key and how to differentiate yourself to your competition. And it seems kind of obvious but you have to think about it.

If you’ve read so far, I would also recommend TED talks for when you’ll have your thesis to write. For example, I’m particularly interested in how our native language or the languages we learn, shape the way we think and this TED talks was veryyyyy interesting to me: https://www.ted.com/talks/lera_boroditsky_how_language_shapes_the_way_we_think

As I explained already you can also find a lot about self improvement (not that I’m telling you all that you should improve but you know, there’s a lot out there)

I wish you all an excellent day and I hope that in the next few weeks we can send each other more links of TED talks that we enjoyed.
Love you all <3
Amelie Trarieux
Amelie Trarieux

Back to top Go down

SERIE - TED Talks Empty Re: SERIE - TED Talks

Post by Emeline Giffard Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:19 pm

Just passing by to say that TED Talks are SO interesting to watch ! Unfortunately, I don't have much time to watch them, and I'm so sad about it because they deal with some subjects that I find very inspiring. And its definetely a GREAT way to improve oral comprehension skills as well haha
But I'll definitely try to watch those that you mentionned in your post ! Very Happy
Emeline Giffard
Emeline Giffard

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:15 pm

They are great for your oral comprehension and your vocabulary. It's wonderful that many of them have the text (and often a translation) to follow as the person speaks.

We'll probably use the site once next semester so that all students get to see how it could help them improve their English.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down