UP English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reading Club

+6
Admin
Emeline Giffard
Meghane Cren
Amelie Trarieux
Pauline Maurisset
Chloé Gailledrat
10 posters

Go down

Reading Club Empty Reading Club

Post by Chloé Gailledrat Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:11 pm

Hello everyone,
During the summer I read some books from the "Twisted Tales" collection of Disney Hachette. I saw them in French but I decided to read them in English for more challenge. These stories are really interesting, this is about Disney fairytales with alternative ends. I bought the one about the Little Mermaid and the one about Beauty and the Beast.
Reading Club A-twis10
Reading Club 14847010

"Part of your World" telling you what would happened if Ariel has never defeated Ursula. 6 years later, the Prince Eric is married with Ursula while Ariel lost her voice forever and try to rule the Atlantica's Kingdom. Ursula is a little bored in her land's life with humans because she has to pretend to be Princess Vanessa, and she decided to rule all other kingdom of the land. Prince Eric is like a zombie, it's so sad. But everything changes when Eureka (remember the seagull, friend with Ariel) saw Triton King always alive and prisonnier of Ursula (remember, he was actually transformed in a kind of plancton). These news will motivate Ariel to go back in land to save her father and maybe see again Eric...
In "As Old as Time", we follow Belle in the Beast's Castle with the same original story except a detail : Belle's mother is the one who enchanted the Prince and all the Castle. We discover all what happen before the spell in many flashback. We have more details too with Belle's point of view and how she fell in love for the Beast. (and Gaston will be more stubborn than ever even if he's not the villains in this story).

I prefer Ariel's story because they were a lot of changes than Belle's one, it was really enjoying !
There will be other stories like this, one about Frozen, another about Peter Pan, I think I will read these books too. What do you think about these books ? Do you want to read them ?
PS : The two books make around 500 pages.
Chloé Gailledrat
Chloé Gailledrat

Back to top Go down

Reading Club Empty Re: Reading Club

Post by Pauline Maurisset Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:49 pm

Hi Chloé!

I really love the idea of creating alternative ends. It arouses curiosity and allows us to change our thinking patterns.
I've never read this type of books but I would love to try!

Pauline Maurisset

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelie Trarieux Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:50 pm

Hi Chloé, such a great topic! I love the concept of alternative stories. I remember when in primary school we used to be able to rewrite stories endlessly and it felt so empowering to put something meaningful to you in a classic story.
Concerning these two you've shared, I would actually love reading them. It would be good to be reading something not school-related for once lmao.

This summer I've been re-reading some of Agatha Christie stories and truly they are still my favorite. I feel like it's very easy to read and you can really get into it quickly if you like detective stories. I belibe that And then there were none is one of the most famous but probably one of my favorite as well.

Again, great idea to be sharing about books  cyclops
Amelie Trarieux
Amelie Trarieux

Back to top Go down

Post by Meghane Cren Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:15 pm

Hi Chloe,

I LOOOOVE ur post especially since I also read during the summer the story of the beautiful and the beast revisited !

I enjoyed this change of atmosphere so much. And above all, the additional contribution of information about the character's past. I would like to discuss this subject in the coming days (cause I don't want to spoil the potential interested people who would be interested in reading the work).

In a completely different register, I also read "Beauté fatale: les nouveaux visages d'une aliénation féminine" by Mona Chollet, which I recommend to everyone if ever the history of women, society and consumption over the years. A very beautiful work that opens minds and forges consciences.

Otherwise I also read a lot of manga (I finished Judge, Shingeki no Kyojin, if u have other to recommend).
And I continue on "Consommation et image de soi" by Benoît Duguay that I'm starting to do, but I won't hesitate to come back to it.

Thx again for this post.
Kisses
Meghane Cren
Meghane Cren

Back to top Go down

Post by Emeline Giffard Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:11 am

Hello Hello !

Nice topic Chloé, nice idea to share about what we read !

This summer, I started to read the first tome of the A Song of Ice and Fire saga, by George R.R Martin : you probably all know about the television adaption of these books, Game of Thrones. I basically started to read it because I was pretty disappointed by the ending of the show (SORRY, not gonna spoil anything but yeah didn't like it). I'm reading them in English, cause I wanted to learn some more complex and specific vocabulary.

I am near the end of the first volume, and I'm not regretting it at all ! The book is way more detailed and complete that the show (even tho I think the show did a really good job at adapting the book really).

I am considering reading the Lord of the Rings before reading the Volume 2 of the saga (as a sort of break), but as I am near the end, I feel like I'm going to directly read the second volume haha.

Have a nice day !
Emeline Giffard
Emeline Giffard

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:18 pm

Emeline, I read the Martin books as they came out before the series and I tried to watch the series but was unable. The books are truly fantastic but sadly we haven't reached the end in the books and I guess they will now be "polluted" by the TV series.

Lord of the Rings is even better but perhaps you should read the Hobbit first - it's short but maybe more for children but still very good.

If you like the Martin series perhaps try Erikson's Malazan books (10 of them) which are similar though perhaps a little more hardcore.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Damaye Alexis Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:35 pm

I read the whole Martin books and they are incredible. I did not see the time passing. And there are so many characters who don't exist in the series, and also so many new plots. But I think the series is also very good until the season 4 or 5 i don't remember.

About the lord of the rings books... I read them when I was like 14/15 and I found them so boring. Many best moments of the movies don't even exist in the books. I was so disappointed. And so many moments absolutely uninteresting in the books, like all the moments with Tom Bombadil. It don't bring a lot to the story. I even could say nothing at all.

Maybe my point of view is biased that because I was young when I read it and maybe I have to read it again now, I don't know. Shocked
Damaye Alexis
Damaye Alexis

Back to top Go down

Post by Emeline Giffard Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:43 pm

Admin wrote:Emeline, I read the Martin books as they came out before the series and I tried to watch the series but was unable. The books are truly fantastic but sadly we haven't reached the end in the books and I guess they will now be "polluted" by the TV series.

Lord of the Rings is even better but perhaps you should read the Hobbit first - it's short but maybe more for children but still very good.

If you like the Martin series perhaps try Erikson's Malazan books (10 of them) which are similar though perhaps a little more hardcore.

Well i do hope it won't be the case...I do expect the book to more or less follow the same direction as the show, but in a more detailed and constructed way.

Well, I do intend to read the Hobbit too, but as I already bought the LOTR books, I think I will start with them. I will also read the Silmarillion because I really LOVE everything that is related to lore haha.

Thank you for the recommandation, I will add it to my list ! But what do you mean by "hardcore" ? x)

Damaye Alexis wrote:I read the whole Martin books and they are incredible. I did not see the time passing. And there are so many characters who don't exist in the series, and also so many new plots. But I think the series is also very good until the season 4 or 5 i don't remember.

About the lord of the rings books... I read them when I was like 14/15 and I found them so boring. Many best moments of the movies don't even exist in the books. I was so disappointed. And so many moments absolutely uninteresting in the books, like all the moments with Tom Bombadil. It don't bring a lot to the story. I even could say nothing at all.

Maybe my point of view is biased that because I was young when I read it and maybe I have to read it again now, I don't know. Shocked

I did hear that the movies added some moments just to make it more "epic" haha. I'm also scared to be influenced by the movies, as I grew up with them and I am really attached to them haha. Same reason why I still haven't read the Harry Potter saga haha
Emeline Giffard
Emeline Giffard

Back to top Go down

Post by SALMA FARES Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:56 pm

Hi Chloé,

I've read the first book of Hunger Games , even if i've watched the film 2000000 times i wanted to see if the book and the film where the same , bt i've found that some parts where cut off and other changed Mad .;; i will read the others books as well so i can find the difference lolllll.

Enjoyyyyyyyyyy
SALMA FARES
SALMA FARES

Back to top Go down

Post by Emeline Giffard Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:15 pm

Hello hello !

Well its been a while since somebody posted here, but I figured it would be the right place to share this haha

I don't know if somebody shared this before, or if any of you book lovers already knew about it, but I recently discovered a wonderful website called the Projet Gutenberg.

What is it, you may ask ?

Well, it is a giant online library (with more than 60,000 books in it) that you can read online (using your web browser) or with a reading app if you happen to own a tablet. And you know what ? It's FREE.

Yup, free. And legal too ! Why ? Because the library is gathering older works, for which copyrights has expired. So, if you are like me, which means someone who is a little weak in the classic litterature department, then this website is a gold mine.

And its even better because its in English, which means free learning material (books are also in French, which is a good option too because old English is sometimes hard to decypher ohoho)

I'll leave the link here for those of you who might be interested : http://www.gutenberg.org/

Enjoy the rest of your weekend folks ;D
Emeline Giffard
Emeline Giffard

Back to top Go down

Post by Chloé Gailledrat Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:49 pm

Hello,
Thank you Emeline ! Do you think they have some English classic littérature too ? Because I want to read more books in that kind like "Little Woman", "The Great Gatsby", "Gone with the Wind" or "Pride and Prejudice" Smile
Chloé Gailledrat
Chloé Gailledrat

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelie Trarieux Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:00 am

Emeline, thank you so much for sharing this website with us! I'm super excited about starting to dig in and read something newww (or old actually) Razz

If you have any recommendation, I would be happy to read about it!
Amelie Trarieux
Amelie Trarieux

Back to top Go down

Post by Marina Di Cocco Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:00 am

Hello Chloé ! Thank you for this topic because last week I found someone who sold her books (in english of course) for only 1 euro and i would try to read a book in english.

Also your books looks very interesting, and i will read it, because i love disney's stories and the idea of alternatives ends is very interesting !

Thanks for you share Smile Smile
Marina Di Cocco
Marina Di Cocco

Back to top Go down

Post by FLEGEAU PAULINE Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:19 am

Hi Everyone !! I just saw this topic nowwwww ! So desapointed !!
Then I have book with this kind of alternative tales, bought at FIBD 2 years ago.
I can share it with you if you want, I couldn't remember the name but it's about Snow White ! Wink
FLEGEAU PAULINE
FLEGEAU PAULINE

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down