UP English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Multiple intelligences

+5
Isaure Ayrault-Roy
Manon Saroul
Damaye Alexis
Admin
Amelie Trarieux
9 posters

Go down

Multiple intelligences Empty Multiple intelligences

Post by Amelie Trarieux Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:53 am

Hi Everyone,

This week I did my research on multiple intelligences. I remembered a class I had in first year talking about different bits of intelligence so it inspired me.
Multiple intelligences Multip11

For this first week I'll talk about something slightly different but it's mostly facts that I know or learned and thought could be interesting to introduce the subject.
It’s good to know that communication can be different. According to Albert Mehrabian, a psychologist teaching in LA.
He created a « 3V rule » based on two studies  from 1967 explains that
  -7% of communication is verbal (by the meaning of words)
  -38% of the communication is vocal (intonation and sound of the voice)
  -55% of communication is visual (facial expressions and body language).

This class had the purpose to helps us as future managers, to create a healthy workplace later in life and not to underestimate the way we communicate. Going back to emotional intelligence, some people say that it’s nature, other than it’s culture but most agree that it’s something you can always work on and improve. However, it’s not something that you can fake. It takes empathy and being your true self. This book I’m reading called Lynchpin: Are you indispensable from Seth Godin comes up to explaining how to cultivate your strengths and always work on your weaknesses. They explain that to become indispensable it mostly comes back to who you are. Deeply, really. You can’t fake your enthusiasm forever, neither can you fake to care. They explain that what you do that’s not in your job description must not be done because you think that you’ll make a better impression but because your core self makes you do it.

I would definitely recommend this book by the way. This topic is kind of a new direction for me and I’ll explain more on it next week, I think that it’s useful, maybe I’ll do research on different intelligences or something like that.  Don’t hesitate to give me your opinions and feedback on this subject or just drop in and do research on one of the intelligence Smile
Amelie Trarieux
Amelie Trarieux

Back to top Go down

Multiple intelligences Empty Re: Multiple intelligences

Post by Admin Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:35 am

It's an interesting topic. It also helps to explain why communication over the internet/SMS can often be misunderstood as so many indicators that we use to "understand" are not available. Doubly so if you are using a foreign language.

I think that my Logical/mathematical intelligence is the most developed, possibly followed by existential. My spatial is a total disaster.

I think there could be other intelligences not mentioned here. I see that there is an individual musical intelligence so shouldn't there be an intelligence for our other senses. I feel that I have an acute sense of smell that I could probably sub divide just like the musical intelligence has been and I'm pretty sure that's the same for all the senses. Maybe sensory intelligence could replace musical?
what do you think?
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Damaye Alexis Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:58 pm

In my psychology's studies I have seen a lot of theories about intelligence clown . As you said, it exists a lot of them. One pattern I remember is the Cattel's Pattern which says there is two kind of intelligence which are :

- the fluid intelligence which refers to the capacity to adapt yourself and to deal with new situations in a flexible way. This kind of intelligence is mostly linked to genetic factors of people. afro

- the crystallized intelligence which refers to the whole skills, strategies and knowledge which represent the cognitive development reached in the learning story of the person. Its mostly linked to the subject's previous experience in the cultural environment to which he belongs. sunny

And for our great friend Jean Piaget, intelligence is, to sum up, the capacity of adaptation of people. alien
Damaye Alexis
Damaye Alexis

Back to top Go down

Post by Manon Saroul Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:10 pm

Hi all !

Amélie, thanks a lot for this very interesting topic !

To begin, John, I totally agree with you for the fact that our "media" type of communication like SMS/messenger/phone... can carry on so much misunderstood. In the light of Amelie's post, it is not a surprise... In text, we cannot use the visual communication which is the largest part of our communication system. It could explain a lot of thing and remind us of the importance of a human conversation, in person.

This topic is particularly important to me. Indeed, I have always had great difficulty understanding that people can believe in one and the same intelligence. how many people have suffered damage as a result of this belief? how many people have been told that they are good-for-nothing and that they will miss their lives?

For me, the biggest problem of our educational system is this one. Because we maybe have not the "school" intelligence, we are stupid and we can do nothing? Sometimes, it is the message that we can perceive by professors or career counsellor. In this regard, someone very famous and consider as a genius said something so true : "... If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its life thinking he is stupid. » Albert Einstein.
This quote is so profound and covers so many things if you think about it. It could solve such a lot of problem to see intelligence as multiple and then to know how to get the best of each other. I really would like to say to certain people that they are not stupid because they are not made for studies and to others that they are not necessarily geniuses because they have succeeded in school.

You will have understood it, for me it is so important to remember that we all have an intelligence, maybe more or less developed, perhaps different that others. But the most important thing is not to still work on our weaknesses to became the best version of ourselves ?

Manon Saroul

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:16 pm

good post Manon
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelie Trarieux Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:25 am

Hi everyone,
So this week, I chose to focus on linguistic intelligence. I think that there is great power in being able to use properly a language. Being good in writing and speaking in your mother tongue is already one thing but being able to master it in another (or two or three other) languages is incredible. It’s definitely something I like to work on. So linguistic intelligence involves the ability to understand and use spoken and written language. This can include expressing yourself effectively through speech or the written word as well as showing a facility for learning foreign tongues. Writers, poets, lawyers, and speakers are among those that can be seen as having high linguistic intelligence.
Everyone has linguistic intelligence. And if you’d like to improve your inner Shakespeare, there are different ways that can help you develop linguistic intelligence. Idea
For example:
- Play word games
- Read to learn (different from reading for pleasure, this one is more about informative papers or nonfiction books)
- Keep a journal / write daily
- Learn a new word each day (to do so, I’ve just downloaded an app)
- Reading books, magazines, newspaper and jokes: can be a great way to learn new vocabulary and practice your reading skills
- Talking to yourself in your mother tongue or a foreign language can be great to practice your speaking skills. This way, when you don’t know, there is no fear because nobody is going to judge you and you can take your time and look online the words you are looking for.I love you

So I hope that you enjoyed this topic! Now we’re all ready to improve our linguistic skills alone or together, don’t hesitate to ask me what my word of the day is when you see me! Repetition can be key in learning something new Cool
Amelie Trarieux
Amelie Trarieux

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelie Trarieux Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:03 pm

Hi absolutely nobody,

This week, my autonomous work will be extended research on bodily-kinesthetic intelligence because I'm really lacking this one Rolling Eyes
I've actually found a test online that takes 5 minutes to find your percentage of each intelligence, it was very similar to the results I was expectingMultiple intelligences Captur17
:  
and here's the test if you're interested https://personalitymax.com/multiple-intelligences-test/

So bodily-kinesthetic intelligence is about a person's ability to use their body for expression and understanding. People who possess this intelligence are highly aware of their bodies, they are able to relate to things in their environment through their body. They tend to use their bodies to express themselves and understand things better when they are physically involved with something rather than simply reading about it or listening to it. Moreover, they can’t sit still and move often. The great part is that they are also aware of their internal movements. These include a high awareness of balance, position, momentum, and stationary presence.

So they will possess skills such as grace, agility, suppleness, and speed. (Everything I don’t have ahaha)
They enjoy creating things with their hands but also love physical activities and therefore are mostly interested in sports, dancing, and athletics; they also enjoy activities that make use of hands, like carpentry and sculpting.

Now you might be wondering how to improve these skills and stimulate your inner STAPS:
- Add more physical and sports activities in your daily routine and curriculum.
- Visit museums and go on field trips for a better learning experience.
- Create models and drawings of concepts that are being studied.
- Act outplays from literature or battles in history, and other classroom readings.
- Take frequent breaks to bring about a change in your state of mind and introduce more stimuli thus.
- Take up dance lessons and learn different styles of the same.

Bodily-kinesthetic intelligence allows a person to use their body maximally well in all that they undertake, the advantages of which are multiple ( Stronger connections between the body and the mind, ability to understand how to reduce stress from different parts in the body…). With the varied methods and steps provided above, it will be easier to improve!
Amelie Trarieux
Amelie Trarieux

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:06 pm

I did the test you recommended.

Logical, musical 17%
Linguistic 15%
naturalist 14%
intrapersonal 13%
kinesthetic 10%
visual 7%
interpersonal 7%

I guess the weakness of the test is that you decide what you think which doesn't really reflect the truth does it?

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Manon Saroul Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:00 pm

Hi Amélie,

Such an interesting test !

I have done it with a lot of pleasure event if I agree with John, it could be not really objective and often I was not really okay with the choice and I had bi doubt to choose.
Despite this, I was a little bit "WOW" when I saw the result... Very meaningful and representative. For my part, my personality type is ENFP :

Extraversion : 79%
Intuition : 58%
Feeling : 74%
Perceiving : 84%

I have done all the test so I have more results as my personal development, my learning style... I must confess that results are very long and that I will take time to read it all. But really, I like to discover more about my personality and this test seems to be very deep.

Thanks a lot for this discover !

Take care ! Smile

Manon Saroul

Back to top Go down

Post by Isaure Ayrault-Roy Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:08 pm

Yes John, I think you're right, I think we are not 100% "true" with ourselves...

I did the test too, and the result is exactly what I thought about myself aha:

Visual : 17%
Interpersonal : 14%
Intrapersonal : 13%
Kine : 12%
Musical : 11%
Naturalist : 11%
Linguistic : 11%
Logical : 10%

Isaure Ayrault-Roy
Isaure Ayrault-Roy

Back to top Go down

Post by Emeline Giffard Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:55 pm

Hellooooooooo ^^

Thank you for your post, Amélie ! I actually like to take tests about personnality so I decided to try yours, and the result were pretty interesting (but not really surprising haha)

Multiple intelligences Bleh10

So my three main intelligences are Musical, Naturalistic, and Intrapersonal (Linguistic being really close). I was kinda surprised to see Musical so high in the list (but ABSOLUTELY not surprised to see that my interpersonnal skills were soooooooo low haha).

According to the Myers-Briggs type indicators, I'm an INFP (Introvertion, Intuition, Feeling and Perception) so its kinda relevant I guess haha

Have a nice day ^^
Emeline Giffard
Emeline Giffard

Back to top Go down

Post by Victor Chevalier Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:16 pm

hi everyone !!!
the subject of multi-intelligence is very interesting, I realized the test and I not very surprised by the results, I have an intelligence Kinesthetic in first, then is visual and natural.
Victor Chevalier
Victor Chevalier

Back to top Go down

Post by Chloé Gailledrat Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:33 pm

Hello,
I did the test too so I share with you my results :
Multiple intelligences Intell10[/url]

I got an INTJ profile (Introversion, Intuition, Thinking and Judgement), I already knew it because I've made a MBTI test before to satisfy my curiosity and this other test confirmed that. I got the same profile as Abraham Lincoln, Walt Disney, Bill Gates or Bugs Bunny and Gandalf so I'm happy with that results. It means I'm a strategic and intellectual person with a high analysis skills but I don't know if I'm really introverted because I think I'm kinda extraverted too, maybe I'm just ambiverti ahah.
Chloé Gailledrat
Chloé Gailledrat

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:52 am

Chloé you are rather extroverted I think.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelie Trarieux Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:31 am

Hi everybody, thank you all so much for your participation! I believe that a part of this test just reflects who we think we are, that's probably why most of us are not surprised by the results.
Today I'm going to tell you more about naturalistic intelligence, as a few of you had it in their main results.
Naturalistic intelligence is for a person who has an interest in nature and related things. A naturalistic intelligent person may be interested in oceans, mountains, forests, weather, and animals and has real love and care for nature. These people have a strong affinity to nature for living and non-living. But this doesn’t require them to be outside all the time. This interest may be applied to academics.
They have the ability to identify things that happen in nature. They get refreshed and inspired by nature. People who have this type of intelligence love being outdoors. Also, they feel connected to nature. This interest and attachment to nature begin at an early age.
Nature smarts people can categorize different things by category. Such people recognized ideas and objects of nature. This, otherwise not easily recognized by other people.
They have the ability to rank people, things, and items. They rank things by significance or importance.
So how to improve your inner Darwin?
- Experience outdoors
- Keep a journal of what you see and how it makes you feel
- Do gardening
- Practice real-life observation
- Relax
- Find what excites you
Don't hesitate to share your opinion and what excites you!
Amelie Trarieux
Amelie Trarieux

Back to top Go down

Post by Manon Saroul Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:38 am

Hi Amélie,

I was surprise when I saw the little percentage of my naturalistic intelligence ! Because I do not feel often better than in nature, at the top of a mountain, breathing fresh, admire the landscape, and enjoy the silence. I really like hiking, I like the fact to make an effort to see something not easy to reach. I've been used to hiking since I was a child, I'm a country girl and I really think it's in my genes. I rarely feel worse than in Paris, for example, on public transport, in the middle of a stressed crowd.
I love natuuuuuuure and for me it is the most beautiful thing in the worldwide !

Manon Saroul

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelie Trarieux Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:08 am

Hi Manon,
Maybe your naturalistic intelligence is not as strong as you believed because others are too strong. (or maybe this test is stupid ahahaha)

Anyway, this week, I'll write about intra-personal intelligence.
I would relate interpersonal intelligence to people who enjoy/excel at knowing themselves, understanding how you feel. It’s not specially about skills to understand others but yourself, your motivation, being able to analyze how you feel and what you know.
Intra-personal people will enjoy philosophy, psychology, and theology. Journaling will be helpful because it helps them learn about themselves. They are able to predict the reactions of themselves and others.
They can help others, once they know themselves, by sharing tools or by sharing their stories and point of view. These people are self-aware and work well alone. I would say that their biggest skill would be, being able to explain how you feel in a way that others can understand.

I believe that for example, making the « for 10 years me » video, Interpersonal people might be more comfortable.

So, how to improve this intelligence?
- Spend time with yourself thinking —> being bored helps you to think differently, go deeper
- Try an activity that you think will help you allow for self-reflection and introspection. Yoga for example
- Record your thoughts, feelings, emotions, and dreams in a journal that you can reflect on later, and help understand yourself better.
- Spend some time meditating to connect with your inner-self.
- Ensure that you work to improve your self-esteem by positive thinking, daily affirmations, and focusing on your achievements.
Amelie Trarieux
Amelie Trarieux

Back to top Go down

Post by Diana Gashi 1 Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:01 pm

Hi Amélie Smile

Thank you to be here darling and being our personal psychologist hahhah and being a positive thinker Smile

I like the advice you said to improve this intelligence ! I agree with all of them !!! I would love to have some time to think about myself now but I don't have enough time ! Of course I could take some time if I really want to but I think it's not my priority Smile

With positive things Smile

Have a nice day

Diana Gashi 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Manon Saroul Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:20 pm

Hi Amélie,

I really like your post, especially because it fit totally my (and I know yours ahah) mood of the day (and more)!
Self-Reflection is not always an easy exercise. It ask to dare to question, accept our weaknesses, accept to have defects in order to be able to tame them and improve themselves. But isn't it important to evolve serenely?

Manon Saroul

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelie Trarieux Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:31 pm

Hello everybody,
As we saw last week, self-reflection can be hard and it takes time and motivation.
As my last subject was intra-personal intelligence, this week I'm going to dig into inter-personal intelligence! I just realized that last time I was talking about "intra" and wrote "inter" many times, I must have been really tired not to notice it...

I find this inter-intelligence really interesting and complicated because it not only deals with yourself but also other human beings. I used to believe that I was skilled at interpersonal intelligence but not anymore. This intelligence refers to how skillful an individual is in understanding and dealing with others. (and I've lost the will and patience to deal with others lately).
In more advanced forms, this intelligence allows a skilled adult to read the intentions and desires of others even when they have been hidden. So this intelligence might remind you of professions such as therapists, teachers, salesperson or diplomats.

As a way to enhance this intelligence when you're a student, recommendations I found were quite interesting:
-Peer to peer work (mentoring)
-Contributing to discussions in class
-Problem-solving with others
-Small and large group work

We already work daily in groups but establishing mentoring or problem-solving with others can be a nice way to practice. I know that some of you here already do some tutoring to each other which is a really good habit to develop.
In a society were we sometimes forget or struggle to find the right balance between our happiness and others, I believe that inter-personal intelligence is something that we should all work on.
That's my part for this week, still a couple of intelligences to work on!
Have a great day everyone! <3 rendeer
Amelie Trarieux
Amelie Trarieux

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelie Trarieux Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:55 pm

Existential intelligence!
This exercise really makes me realize that a lot of different bits of intelligence exist! This is great but so underrated in today’s society!

So this week, I’m doing my research on existential intelligence and it’s really related to philosophy, seeing the big picture, having a sensibility about things surrounding us, but don’t always seek a concrete answer.  So known people such as Socrate or Buddha are a good representation of this kind of intelligence. So for me, it’s the ability to be sensitive to, or have the capacity for conceptualizing larger questions about human existence. In my mind folks who have this intelligence are not afraid to tackle thinking about questions that are around such issues as the meaning of life, or why are we born, why do we die, what is consciousness, or how did we get here?

This intelligence is however very controversial because it was not included in the first 8th Intelligence!
But how to improve it?
* Give yourself time to daydream
* Meditate
* Keep a dream journal
* Develop your critical thinking skills
* Study ancient and modern philosophers
* Open discussions with friends and family about big-picture ideas
Amelie Trarieux
Amelie Trarieux

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelie Trarieux Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:39 am

Hellooooooo I’m back,

I know that you missed me John but the Christmas break was to intense for me and I kind of forgot to visit upenglish… OUPSY

Today I will tell you more about musical intelligence!
We all love music, nice sounds and quiet, our listening skill is really important! And yet, musical intelligence is not just about listening or playing music, it’s much more.
Musical intelligence is dedicated to how skillful an individual is performing, composing, and appreciating music and musical patterns.
It is, however, argued that this intelligence should be considered more as a talent, I understand both sides, but maybe one can be linked to the other.
From Mozart to Eminem, many famous people can be related to this intelligence, but not everybody having it is famous!
So if you feel like you’re good at music-related topics, here’s how you can cultivate this intelligence:
People with this intelligence also tend to look for patterns in life, just like they would do in music. They learn better when there are patterns set to events and information.
- Have a keen ear for all the sounds around you, in your environment and otherwise.
- Listen to a wide range of music and songs that stretch to include different styles and genres.
- Close your eyes and locate a sound in your background. Trace it back to its direction and its source.
- Play different styles of music for when you're studying or are inspired or stressed, and experiment to see which form of music works best for which mood.
- Study or learn something with a low tempo music playing in the background. Then play the same tune when trying to recall the same―it will happen much more efficiently. This practice, you will find, is a great way to learn and recall. Arrange all your lessons to music.

There are many more possibilities, these are just a few I could find! And you ? Outside of the test, which intelligence do you think is the most important for you and how do you cultivate/ improve it ?
Amelie Trarieux
Amelie Trarieux

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum