UP English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Final discussion topic

+13
Kellia Cassagnau
Emeline Texier
Emma Vancostenoble
carolinemaggi
Lisa Garcia
Jessica Mauricio
Camille GENNESSON
AdélaïdeSagnes
Adrien Roucairol
Paul Pasquier
Laura Berthier
Lauralee Spadat
Admin
17 posters

Go down

Final discussion topic Empty Final discussion topic

Post by Admin Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:20 am

Surprise, surprise it's linked to Covid 19.

I'd like you to share your thoughts on the implications of the virus and the government/global reactions to the next few months and future changes to our world.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Final discussion topic Empty Re: Final discussion topic

Post by Lauralee Spadat Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:39 am

Hi !
Indeed it isn't a surprise! But it's interesting to talk about it to know everyone's opinion.

Personally I think it was time for the French government to take radical measures to finally make French people understand that the situation is serious.

There are many things that bother me in everyone's behavior since we learned about this virus. We see the real face of people, we understand that individuality and selfishness are more present than ever for some people.
When we see that food stores are robbed when we keep telling us that they aren't likely to be in shortage ... it really makes me angry with these people.
It's the same for Parisians, but not only them, who, when their announcement to be careful not to group in shops, they gather outside. Wtf?
I find it increasingly difficult to understand human beings, I think I must be another species in fact! Rolling Eyes

As for our future, I think that confining ourselves will only be good for the environment : less pollution, the animals in the wild are quiet for a little while, etc, and families support each other ... But the global economic situation will experience a real moment of crisis, and we will pay it … But what to do ? Health before all.

I hope all of you and your family are well !
Lauralee Spadat
Lauralee Spadat

Back to top Go down

Post by Laura Berthier Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:40 am

It's hard to think of anything else...

First of all, I would like to say that Covid-19 helps to develop the imagination of some people with conspiracy theories, it's too much fun to listen but it's it's very tiring and aberrant...
Some people on facebook think they are smart to say to withdraw their money as soon as possible from the bank, but I think they have a pea in the place of the brain, it's the best way to create a global crisis,...

People are so selfish and only think about themselves. When you see the behouvior in the supermarket, in the pharmacy.... Fortunately we are not in a time of war because society would be really very very badly off if people behaved with the Covid-19.

The government is asking people to stay home but people feel invulnerable... When I hear some people around me talking like it's nothing at all, it drives me crazy, but what's the point of getting tired... I let them talk and go out and then that's it, but I don't let these people come near my house under any circumstances because they will a kick from me.

Whatever we can say, the government is making good choices to protect us, maybe it's too late or maybe the government is doing too much but we can't be too judgmental because this virus is unknown si one could know...
On the one hand we are forbidden to go out but on the other hand people continue to work, it's paradoxical, but it's true that we can stop everything at one... there's no good solution I think...

Good day to everyone, protect yourself and your loved ones...
Laura Berthier
Laura Berthier

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Pasquier Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:44 pm

This situation is special and we maybe will live this on time in our lives. So, we have to respect orders from the government and wait until they said we can go outside. They react on time, the president decided to close schools to keep children safes and don't let them spread the virus because most of the time we have it without symptoms. But, friday night many people don't listen the warnings and wanted to drink a beer or eat in a restaurant so they decided to close all stores not essential. And finally saturday and sunday were two beautiful days, french people are a bit stubborn and they want for a walk in parks. So the government doesn't have any options, they had to confine people in their house except for food, jogging or to go at hospital.
If people respect the warnings on the first day, we might be able to go outside (respecting the rules to don't contaminate people) a bit more but i think whatever we've done we will be confine because we don't know this virus and he's very special and kill many people. I hope we won't be in the Italy's situation (around 2500 deads, it's 1/3 of the virus' deads in the world)

Have a nice day, i'm waiting to drink a beer watching the sunshine with friends in one month
Paul Pasquier
Paul Pasquier

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrien Roucairol Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:24 pm

Good morning, sir,

I think the French did not realize the extent of the epidemic at the very beginning.

We are now in a completely unbelievable situation, never before seen, and I think that this could perhaps have been avoided.

It is difficult to determine the seriousness, because we are only at the beginning, but I think it is necessary to respect the various measures imposed by the government.

I hope that researchers will find a solution to stop the epidemic.
I also hope that this will allow people to realize that we must mobilize, show solidarity and that this is the only solution to defeat this virus.
Adrien Roucairol
Adrien Roucairol

Back to top Go down

Post by AdélaïdeSagnes Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:15 pm

Hello!

I don't know what to think about this virus.

Indeed, during this time nature is "preserved", the water in the canals of Venice is clear, there is less pollution... Maybe this episode will allow us to realize the impact we have on our environment. Maybe this will be the trigger we needed. Let's hope something positive comes out of it.

Compared to supermarkets, it is indeed very funny and despairing to see them empty, especially in the toilet paper section.

I think that the measures taken are useful to avoid the spread of the virus and the overload of patients in hospitals. The measures had to be radical, because it is true that as French people, we are not used to respecting the rules.
In short, I think that we must of course respect the rules, but also not watch too much news on television because it is very anxiety-provoking. We already think about this all day long and the media does not help us to relax.

Try to stay calm, and I wish you good luck for the coming weeks!

AdélaïdeSagnes

Back to top Go down

Post by Camille GENNESSON Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:22 pm

Hi !

Because I'm a very pessimistic person, from the moment we knew what happened in China, I thought about this situation... By the way, this situation is even better than in my thoughts Laughing

We don't know how long it will take to fight Covid-19 and I'm afraid it will take longer than it shoud have because of the stupidity of some people... How could you be stupid enough to go out and meet a lot of people when you know the impact of this act if you're sick ? Some people really don't think about the effect of their actions and deep down, I hope they'll regret Evil or Very Mad

And I still don't understand people who "don't believe in Covid-19" ??? How could you just "don't believe" in a disease ?? Oh yes, Macron just want us to keep our mouths shut, I understand better scratch

Hope all of you are ok, and good luck for this period of containment ! Laughing
Camille GENNESSON
Camille GENNESSON

Back to top Go down

Post by Jessica Mauricio Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:04 pm

Hi everyone ! At last John, you changed your mind and now you do want to talk about it. I understand, I think must of us, including me, started realising the real dimension of what's going on pretty recently.

Personally I have some opinions about the Covid-19 virus and how the government reacted. Clearly, and we can all agree, the government took way too long to react against this huge threat. When it started in China, we should have closed all our borders. It's true that it's hard to believe that something this serious can happen, the worse scenarios are only for movies isn't it ? But here we are now, all closed and locked in our homes, waiting for more instructions from the government, more answers about the virus and what it has done, and also we hope that all of this is coming to an end very soon. Even if the government could not guess, it's their job to guess and prevent those thing from happening.

Morever, we often heard the government saying that after covid-19 we have to learn from our past mistakes. Oh really ? I think it's pretty obvious that we should have never cut health budget as we have done it those last years. My mother who is working at the hospital, have been telling me for years now that sometimes they don't even have pencils to work with. In my opinion, Health and education are two sectors that should never be cut off. Furthermore, these 20 last years or more we have been investing in China and exporting abroad ....we forgot that it's important to invest in our own countries.

Sorry, I needed to express myself about this complicated situation ....

Good luck y'all and keep safe Smile
Jessica Mauricio
Jessica Mauricio

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:14 pm

Final discussion topic Cca
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lisa Garcia Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:48 pm

Hello from the bed which I haven't moved a day!

For my part I find that we are super badly informed, whether on the situation, the circumstances, the consequences, ect ..
In fact it is quite paradoxical, because of the lack of information, some people panic and are robbing stores, and other people are also badly informed about the danger of the virus and do not respect the measures who are taken.

And then there is also a lot of fake news circulating, for example the mother of my girlfriend saw a video and was convinced that the virus was created by man then by doing research I found that the patent of which was talking about the video was actually a patent filed for a vaccine for SARS in 2003.

On the other hand, there is an action that has been put in place on social networks, every evening at 8 p.m. people applaud on their balconies to congratulate the nursing staff, and my cousin who is a maternal assistant and who looks after the children of the hospital staff and my aunt who works in hospital in Lyon sent me this evening a video of their apartment where the whole neighborhood applauded, they were touched by this gesture of solidarity, even if it is not much, they appreciate the support .

Lisa Garcia
Lisa Garcia

Back to top Go down

Post by carolinemaggi Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:58 pm

Hi everyone,

Let's start with the negatives thoughts! I don't understand why people are still going out ??? wtf? like nothing is happening! By going out I mean those who are not working, those who are going out just to chill with some friends and take the sun.... what the hell ?! It's not because it's your friend you won't be contaminated! And those who make stocks for 3 months... how can we tell them that, it is by these stupid and individualistic behaviours that we reach a shortage (in the short term)? The state won't let us die of hunger so stay at home !
It's crazy that people cannot do a simple thing like stay at home.

Anyway, stay positive. So I'll move on more positives thoughts.
First, to my mind I think the government reacted well, it's a unique case and it's an emergency so I think we should relativize before make any judgement.
I also think that the universities have been reactive by offering online courses from Monday (I'm not talking about us Smile) and by providing an answer (which is difficult to give given the situation) on internships.

Personally, except the work we have to do, I'm glad to be confined (I mean I'm glad to stay at home, not of the virus!!) because it allows me to finally do the hundreds of things I want to do, but I don't usually have the time. So during these 15 days (if it's not more) I'll clean, tidy, sort, colour, draw, read, sleep, eat... enjoy being with my family and my sweeeeeties cats.

Finally, I think that confinement can be a good thing, to refocus ourselves on us (take care of yourself, read, do personal development, think, write...)

see you in September, if the virus doesn't kill us first. xx
carolinemaggi
carolinemaggi

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:22 pm

From what I've been told this evening the situation is a lot more serious than the government are saying. Expect the lockdown to last months not 2 weeks. There are deaths everywhere in France and we'll soon move into a much more military situation.

Be careful, stay away from people, wear gloves , wash your hands and err on the side of caution.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Emma Vancostenoble Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:46 pm

Surprise, surprise, it makes me soooo angry. I hate selfish (more like selfrench Laughing) people.

I completely agree with Caroline : are they enough stupid to not understand simple words : STAY AT HOME, h*ly shit ! On social media we can see a lot of viral videos of people enjoying sun in parks, in streets, etc. We've not informations about how people get it but I'm pretty sure it's because of collective unconsciousness. Even boomers continue to go out buying bread, shopping... While it's dangerous, they're part of more than 90 percent of deaths by the virus...

However, we know that it will last at least one or two months. Scientists are demonstrating this very well, and we cannot go against that.

I echo all of your words and we need to take advantage of this moment to work, do a lot of things, call our friends and family, watch all the Shreks Razz, educate ourselves on feminism (Laughing)...

*Empathy time* This period is difficult for sensitive people (depressed, anxious, agoraphobic, etc.) and it's necessary to be emphatic and understanding. As Jessica, people who have family members working in the medical field realize how difficult and dangerous it is and we have to thank them for their work.

We’re all gonna get out of this, better, and we’re gonna be very happy with what life has to offer ! I love you
Emma Vancostenoble
Emma Vancostenoble

Back to top Go down

Post by Emma Vancostenoble Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:49 pm

Final discussion topic Images10
Emma Vancostenoble
Emma Vancostenoble

Back to top Go down

Post by Emeline Texier Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:21 am

Hello guys !

What can I say after you!
I think that the COVID19 wasn't taken seriously soon enough and the government reacted well overall but a little late for my taste. But I know it's easy to criticize but hard to make decisions for an entire nation.
Then, it's time for french people to understand and to understand and apply barrier gestures against the virus. I don't understand how some idiots get out of their homes during lockdown. They endanger themselves (which is their choice) but also others. For me, it's incomprehensible to think so much about oneself.
But fortunately, there is an impulse of solidarity. Indeed, on social networks, some entertain others by challenging others, making videos and others on a daily basis help the most vulnerable people by doing their shopping, going to the pharmacy for them.
Personnally, I take this virus very seriously, that's why I'm shopping for my grandparents, that's why I respect the containment. People have no idea how vital respect for containment is to bury this VIDOC19.
Anyway, I hope that this period will awaken a certain French solidarity and that people will not turn in on themselves and be selfish.

Finally, let's take this confinement in the right direction and get busy reading, drawing and taking care of ourselves!

Take care of yourself and see you soon to celebrate the end of the corona ! Wink I love you
Emeline Texier
Emeline Texier

Back to top Go down

Post by Kellia Cassagnau Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:19 pm

Hi everyone,

I hope you're all well !! Smile

To begin, I would say that we are experiencing a totally unprecedented situation, and that is difficult to say if the Government has acted well or badly, because we don't have enough hindsight to know.

It makes me smile when I hear French people complaining about the Government's late reaction, but they are the same people who, a few days ago, said "but it's nothing, it's just a flu". Very few people had realized the danger and the health crisis we are facing today.

I think quarantine is a very good thing! Of course, some people don't understand why some people are still working. But it's impossible to stop the activity of all, that would involve no medical staff, no security forces. It's therefore necessary for most of them to stay at home to prevent the spread, but for some of them to be able to maintain the country.

As my classmates have said, this situation will certainly awaken a surge of solidarity and awareness. We already see it every evening at 8 p.m with the applause of the medical staff. I also heard that my grandmother sewed masks for my aunt who is a nurse, I think this initiative is great ! And I will do the same if my aunt asks me to do it for her co-workers.

Like Caroline, I enjoy staying at home with my family and my cats. I take the opportunity to do a lot of things that I wouldn't have been able to do without this confinement. I still have a lot of projects, so I don't know about you, but I won't be bored !!! Laughing

Take care of yourself I love you

See you sunny
Kellia Cassagnau
Kellia Cassagnau

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Foll Camille Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:30 pm

Hi,
I think that only 1 month ago nobody imagined the extent of the consequences on virus. Just like Emeline says, I think we were watching the evolution of the virus from a distance with a bit of carelessness because we didn't really feel concerned in France. Unfortunately the virus arrived faster than expected in France.

I think the French government handled the virus as best they could. However, people don't understand that this is a national crisis and that everyone has a role to play in fighting the spread of the virus. People don't take quarantine seriously, and I find that appalling. People are only being asked to stay home.
Everyone is showing solidarity and leaving home without a valid reason is a completely selfish gesture for me. I find it normal that this kind of person gets tickets because it is well deserved.

Nevertheless, France started testing for the virus too late. In South Korea, for example, they started to carry out tests as soon as the virus arrived in their country. By carrying out tests they can thus control the spread of the virus because they know where the infected person has been. There are 3 times fewer people infected in South Korea than in France and 10 times fewer than in Italy.

I agree with you Kellia, for the moment we still have projects to make so it keeps us busy but I'm afraid that once it's over I'm getting bored.
The last time I spent so much time like this at my parents' house I think it was when I was in high school. I'm having a little trouble readjusting to community life. I like my independence and I already miss my apartment.
Nevertheless, living at my parents' house has its advantages, it allows me not to spend my days alone. To keep ourselves busy we try to do activities together such as cooking or playing board games. The cupboard is full of games, we have something to keep us busy for a while. ^^
We are lucky to have a garden, but it's true that despite the good weather (yes it must be nice in Brittany !!), I didn't take the time to get some fresh air.

Last edited by Le Foll Camille on Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Le Foll Camille
Le Foll Camille

Back to top Go down

Post by Axelle Fardeau Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:20 pm

At first I didn't take the virus seriously, I thought it was like a flu, but now with the magnitude of it, it's causing panic. I think we just need to listen to the government and stay home and wait for the doctors to treat it and for the researchers to find a cure. we can't do anything but wait. of course I'm devastated for the economy of our country and the economy of the world because it's going to have an impact for sure. But on the other hand, we are already seeing the positive results on nature since our confinement and our human activity which is reducing the number of animals living, the fauna and flora continues to develop. Wouldn't that be a bad for a good?

Waiting for good confinement and don't forget to wash your hands Wink
Axelle Fardeau
Axelle Fardeau

Back to top Go down

Post by katia katy Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:45 pm

Hello everybody,

I hope you have a good confinement and that you are not too bored

I think the measures taken by the government are very judicious, I think that staying at home is the best way to overcome the virus quickly.

But for some people it is not the case, they go out for a walk in groups, have picnics in the gardens I don't understand how they can be so oblivious.
Personally, I try to keep myself busy as I can, I cook, I play sports, I watch series, I do my shopping once a week, and I go for a footing 20 minutes in a place not far from my home

What amazes me most is to see the selfishness of people doing shopping in an abusive way
when the state has declared that supermarkets will remain open.

So we have to stay at home and get as far away from people as possible.
Any way, hope things will get better.

Take care of you ^^

katia katy
katia katy

Back to top Go down

Post by katia katy Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:47 pm

Final discussion topic L-humo10
katia katy
katia katy

Back to top Go down

Post by Saradl Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:37 pm

Hello !

i hope that everyone are doing okey.
Covid-19 was the best solution for the planet to restore, for animals to live in their natural habitat peacfully !
I think that this is karma, we deserve this horrible situation !
If China did aware us about this virus non of this would happen ! is it a strategy from them to gain more money by selling masks ? maybe !
I don't know why but all the gouvernments in the world didn't take the right solution from the begining !
As an international student in france , i think that they are trying to take the right solutions and the good thing that it's a country who has enough ressources to figh the COVID-19.
But if i talk about my country, the gouverment are trying to take the right solutions, but Tunisia is not a rich country so the situation of our hospitals is critical ! we don't have enough materials for doctors and nurses to protect their selves from the virus ! it's sad but tunisians are doing their best and factory are volunteering to product the materials needed !
I hope that we will overcome this crisis.

Saradl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum