UP English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

20/10 Class session

+12
Larbre
Simon Martinet
TISNE Floriane
florian
Anais Quéré
Antoine Delval
gbillaud
Théo DANGOUMAU
Pauline Lachevre
Flavien P
Rgnicolas
Admin
16 posters

Go down

20/10 Class session Empty 20/10 Class session

Post by Admin Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:00 pm

Today you have a few minutes in the classroom with me for your oral expression "controle". For the rest of the time you can do the Video comprehensions that you haven't finished and you also have to read this long text:

https://www.france24.com/en/20201013-policing-without-consent-why-french-police-are-ill-equipped-to-reconquer-paris-suburbs

After you have read it you need to give your views in this thread. Finish it for your homework before the 10/11/2020. I'd expect 250-300 words. affraid

I'll leave you to organise your own order for entry to the oral expression. Please always have someone ready to enter the classroom when the previous student leaves (approx every 3 minutes).

Last edited by Admin on Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

20/10 Class session Empty Re: 20/10 Class session

Post by Rgnicolas Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:31 pm

Damn... What an article. A true rollercoaster of emotions from the beginning until the very end. I'm not gonna lie, I'm not a big fan on controversial topics like that. I don't even like debates. So, I'm gonna be pretty straight forward in this post, and I'll manage to reach the 300 words by turning around the topic. Sorry, but I really don't want to give my views on this kind of topic.
First of all, this kind of situations are always extremely complex. So many people that talks about it, that are apart of the story, but who all have a different point of view. So much that the story totally change, depending on who you're listening. That's why it's really hard to have a point of view. YES, police sometimes cause troubles, sometimes lack psychology or social skills, and got some members that have NOTHING to do in this place. And YES, it's pathetic that some innocent policeman are getting attacked by people full of hate. Sometimes, I feel like shooting them in the head would be the best way to end this. And sometimes, I think that peace, talking and sharing would help more. But one thing I almost always agree with, is that I don't want anything to do with that as long as I can. If I can avoid to give this any impact on my life, I'll be happier. So yes, we need to do something. No, there is no perfect solution. Yes, any solution will cause more troubles, because some people won't be happy with it, won't understand that we are trying our best, and some are just searching for a reason to riot. No I don't know what we should do. Yes, I'd like to be kept out of that as long as I can.
Thanks for coming to my TED talk. See ya friends !

Rgnicolas

Back to top Go down

Post by Flavien P Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:14 pm

Heyyyy, so this time we are going to talk about the "war" between cops and suburban kids. What must be understood in this confrontation is that young people do not want to eradicate the police, but above all they want to make it clear that the police are taking the liberty of hurting young people in the suburbs, police violence is increasingly present and when young people want to report it, nothing is done. That's why more and more young people want to fight this, and they do it through attacks on police officers, or the degradation of police buildings. It is the ACAB (all cops are bastards) movement which comes from the US and is taken up by young people.
It is understandable for these young people to want equal and correct justice for everyone, but unfortunately this is not the case. However, many police officers complain about the lack of respect for the rules of the youth justice system and want to be better prepared to deal with them.
It's a real problem in France, but there's nothing we can do about it. Moreover, the media will always put the blame on suburban youths because they are considered "badly educated", and then there would never be any criticism of a lack of education in the police. Of course, policing is a complicated job, but you have to respect everyone no matter what you do.

Flavien P

Back to top Go down

Post by Pauline Lachevre Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:47 pm

Here the work requested was to give his opinion on the article we just read. First of all the subject of the article is the attack of a group of young people from the suburbs who attacked a police station in Champigny, a suburb of the Paris region. The attack was made with the help of "fireworks" and so the metal bars that the young people threw on the post. Luckily no one was hurt. I think that, as stated in the article, the police work more in the interest of serving the republic and the country than in the interest of the public, which for me would be more important and whose riots would certainly be avoided.
Moreover, in my opinion I also think that suburban youth do not lack education but rather that the police underestimate them too much as they come from the suburbs and thus create a disagreement, a conflict between the two. Young people just want to show that this is their territory and do not accept the unnecessary intervention of police in their suburbs.
Since the police are always there to intervene in conflicts and demonstrations, many French people trust them. For me this is a good thing because if people could not trust the police, many people will rebel against it to show its discontent out it is not the case (except for some groups) and it allows, in part, order to prevail among all the French. Despite this, the police hierarchy must nevertheless be able to challenge itself when necessary, when faced with a problem.

Pauline Lachevre

Back to top Go down

Post by Théo DANGOUMAU Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:29 pm

In this paper, the problem presented is the difference between the French police and the police in other countries such as Germany due to a difference in values.
But also we can see the conflicts between the society that rebels against the state and the police that is there to protect the people and to show the values of peace and equality.
The French state has completely forgotten the values of "liberty, equality and fraternity".
In France today, there is a malaise due to the legal system and the French authorities.
Indeed, the state uses the police to keep an eye on the people, but above all to keep them in order because inequalities keep growing and the state is afraid of a rebellion by the most deprived people.
The police no longer play a role of protection against crime but just a role of fighting against those who dare to rise up against the government.
It is a daily struggle that the police wage against poor people who mainly come from the suburbs, so the police are insecure because the control of some suburbs has already been lost for several years.
It is necessary to review the bases to protect its state officials who risk their lives in an endless struggle.
The state uses the police as a shield against riots, especially in demonstrations, the ideas put forward are not taken into account by the government but unfortunately, some people who are known as "rioters" eliminate the basic messages and ideas that the people want to put across.
There is a problem caused by a system that has too many loopholes, which creates injustices among the poorest people.

Théo DANGOUMAU

Back to top Go down

Post by gbillaud Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:46 pm

This article reflects the state of "war" between suburban youth and the police that has been going on for years. Suburban youths are demonstrating against the relentlessness of the police, against the physical and verbal violence they receive. In fact, they respond in the same way with hatred and this is reflected in the degradation of police buildings, attacks, vandalism and the destruction of service vehicles, as we saw during the yellow vests demonstration.
During this demonstration, numerous complaints were filed against police officers who were accused of having wrongly and violently poured their anger on, for example, supposedly innocent suburban youths. However, the latter did not win their case because the negative consideration of suburban youth (uneducated, without principle or value, outside the law) did not work in their favor in the eyes of justice.
I think that it is a war of misunderstanding in which the two sides no longer try to understand each other, but both sides are wrong. Well reported by the media, this violence, this misunderstanding has been built up over time, in these same suburbs (Parisian or Marseille suburbs most often) where altercations, the same repeated interventions have taken place and the hatred has never stopped growing between these men who wish to make THEIR own law in a country where the law is normally dispensed and controlled by the forces of law and order of the French state.
Thus, it would seem that by continuing to retaliate with violence and acts that do not conform to the established laws of our country, these individuals who consider themselves "kings of the suburbs" will not be able to gain respect and support from the state's law enforcement agencies since their actions do not respect the true laws of this country that are respectable by all in respect of each and every one.
On the other hand, the disrespectful actions of the intervening police officers on these interventions who act with zeal, violence and with the power of their uniform should not take place. It goes without saying that a person with this responsibility to represent the values of our country, namely "Liberty, equality, fraternity", should only act with common sense and respect.
Today, we don’t have solution to solve this "war" and neither the heads of state, nor the media help to defend and reduce the bad reasons for these inadequate exchanges on both sides...what solutions for a better future?

gbillaud

Back to top Go down

Post by Antoine Delval Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:45 am

The article deals with the supposed war beetween disadvantaged neighbourhoods and the French police. After reading the article, i find it is abnormal to have such behaviour towards the police. I think yes in some areas, precariousness is important, but i think in France, no one live in cans like in Brazil for example. Nobody was abused and was not considered. Certainly, sometimes the police can have limited behaviour with certain types of people, but we must not forget that they are there to serve France and to protect citizens.
Yes, young people in the city can be victims of injustices but this can be probable for everybody and not for a type of personn in particular. Howewer, I don't think the best way to express themselves is violence beacuse after doing damage, the repair costs are not the same.The problem with this kind of intervention on the part of disadventage young people, which they attack in the republic, in the country, which has nothing to do with the police officer realising an injustice. Moreover, they attack the French, who have nothing to do with this kind of history. Yes, I am certainely exaggerating, but with such behaviour if it spreads and worsens, it could turn into a regulator, provocating civil war, when at the bottom, we shouldn't get there.
Moreover , after doing such a thing, they can't be surprised to be biased afterwards.I think that in France every being is respectable and respected at its fair value, whether we come from affluent neighbourhoods or not, and everyone must be judged at their fair value as human rights advocate it. (It was the little philosophical sentence of the end)

Antoine Delval

Back to top Go down

Post by Anais Quéré Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:14 pm

Today we are going to talk about the confrontations between the young people from the suburbs and the cops. Several attacks manifested themselves; like the Champigny police station which was attacked by young people with fireworks.
This spectacular assault the police officers but anyone wasn’t hurt.
Ministers and all state leaders characterize this attack as “Savage attack”. The article tells us that there are more an more confrontations and more and more officers killed or injured and assaults on cops continued to rise since 2019.The hardest thing for cops is to keep a stable mental : in fact, a lot of “deaths by suicide among officers have risen steadily in recent years”. More, cops complain of a equipment lack to take action and reclaim the Parisan suburbs. We need a state solution. In the article, be policeman was dream for some, when they were young but today, we ask ourselves : Who would want to become cops? Indeed, with all these riots and the difficulty to act with a population underline the change of way of life.

If I have to give my opinion on this article, I would say it's 50/50. We can never solve this problem because there is always a presence of discrimination, injustice, racism, homophobia ... all these things that shouldn’t exist. The widened gulf between the French police and the young people of the suburbs will never disappear because the Ego, the power and the money take over the situation. Indeed, becoming a cop isn’t easy, exercising the functions of this profession either, but some people abuse their notoriety to act. But they are formed that way ... So the reason is education?

Anais Quéré

Birthday : 2001-11-12

Anais Quéré likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by florian Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:14 pm

Hey john, This article speaks at the beginning of a new police station, which is located in Champigny in the Paris region. This new police station was installed and reinforced in terms of the workforce to deal with gangs and drug traffickers. Indeed, when this police station was built, they thought of the literally armored facade because these are sensitive areas where the "war" between police and thugs is raging. Even with these measures, the delinquents of the neighborhoods around attacked two police officers with fireworks, stones, iron bars ... also sold the cars and the premises of the police station. The senior officers spoke of scenes of wars and that it was indeed an act of organized crime because not one of 40 individuals participated in this act. According to the news, this gesture was one of the last in a long list including simple assault to the murder of a police officer shot dead with his service weapon. This kind of fact has been on the rise since 2018 when many police officers have lodged complaints for the number of assaults they are subjected to and which continues to skyrocket. In addition, this increase in violence on police officers is accompanied by an increase in police suicide due to too many violence, terrorism that has grown since 2015, overwork ... Many young people in the suburbs say that this violence is deserved. because for too long the police have been racist, have abused young people and have committed acts of sexual or gratuitous violence. Personally by reading this article I find it annoying to harm the police services because if we are dealing with them it is generally that we have something to be ashamed of. They are just doing their job. And since they are unfortunately human it happens that they make mistakes. I never assaulted the seller of the macdo because she had forgotten my frits. For the police it's the same. Especially since for my leave, my dad is a policeman, it worries me to tell myself that just because he verbalizes a drunk person, he can get stabbed the next day just because this idiot is not happy to have been punished for having been caught not respecting the highway code ...

florian

Back to top Go down

Post by TISNE Floriane Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:51 pm

This article has been talked about for a while in France now. In my opinion, it is divided.
On the one hand, I find that the police are not being respected in the poor suburbs of Paris. What happened in Champigny is unacceptable, I confess. The yellow vests also seriously disrespected the police and broke laws. I think that for the yellow vests, the government did not help the police and they did lack equipment. I think that at that moment the State could have moved and given a hand to the police to help them in the struggle. I also think that experienced police officers should go to poor suburbs rather than junior officers. And of course, I find that in France there is a lack of respect and the police are on the front line.
On the other hand, I find that police officers are increasingly violent. As we have seen this year in America and France, cases of violence have occurred when they had no place to be. I think police officers are allowed things they shouldn’t have. To me, police officers have a very special view of their profession and they think they can do anything just because they carry a gun.
I think this article summarizes what is happening in France and I think that the Anglo-Saxon method works more on psychology and sociology compared to France. I also think that since the police are not very much helped by the state, they allow themselves to do things that are normally prohibited.

TISNE Floriane

Back to top Go down

Post by Simon Martinet Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:50 pm

In this article, we can notice that there is a confrontation between police officers and people from the suburbs and this for several years. The forces of law and order are called to protect, to serve as a shield for the state. Why is there a confrontation?

Because the people of the suburbs are mostly protesting against the hatred, the hold, the relentlessness that certain police officers and certain media can have against them. So if we don't respect them, they won't respect the police in return, which is why they react in a violent way, which is not at all justifiable, for example by degrading police structures or physically attacking them...

Quite simply, there is an image of suburban youth and this image globalizes all suburban youth, even though they are only a minority, but since no one wants to hear anything from either side, be it the police officer or the suburban youth, they prefer to make their own rules, their own laws, and this is why this leads to altercations. It would be necessary that each party discusses to start again from 0 and put everything in order and stop this relentlessness on both sides which is moreover amplified by certain media...

It's a daily fight that the police forces wage in order to enforce rules that these young people no longer want to apply because of a lack of communication. The police must redouble their efforts because there are shortages of personnel and on top of that some suburbs are left abandoned.

There is therefore a problem at the level of society which creates too much injustice and which by lack of communication and lack of answers and help leads to violence .

Simon Martinet

Back to top Go down

Post by Larbre Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:41 am

Today I am going to tell you about an article that talks about the entry of a new police station, which is located in the Paris region. This police station was built and staffed up to deal with gangs and drug traffickers.
During the construction of this police station, the architects thought of shielding the facade because these are sensitive areas where the "war" between police officers and thugs is raging. Nevertheless, even with the measures put in place by the police, delinquents from the surrounding neighborhoods attacked two policemen with fireworks, stones, iron bars, etc.
The most experienced officers speak of war scenes and that it was a crime. However, this act was neither the first nor the last crime caused by the offenders. These crimes (whether small or huge) have continued to increase since 2018. In addition, this increase in violence against police officers is accompanied by an increase in police suicides due to too much violence, terrorism which has intensified since 2015.
Furthermore, this article wants us to understand that there is a so-called war between the police and the children of the suburbs. What is interesting in this confrontation is that the aim of the young people is not to do violence on the police, but they want to make it clear that the police allow themselves to harm young people in the suburbs, police violence is more and more present and when young people want to report it, nothing is done. This is why more and more young people want to fight against it, and they do it by attacking the police officers or by degrading the police buildings.
It is understandable that these young people want equal and fair justice for all, but unfortunately this is not the case. However, many police officers complain about the lack of respect for the rules of the youth justice system and want to be better prepared to deal with it.
It's a real problem in France, but there is nothing we can do about it. In addition, the media will always blame young people in the suburbs because they are seen as "poorly educated", and then there will never be any criticism of a lack of education in the police. Many young people in the suburbs explain that this violence towards the police is well deserved, because for many years the police considered their young people to be less than nothing. Indeed, the police were racist, abused young people and committed acts of sexual or gratuitous violence.
Of course, the job of a police officer is a complicated job, because you have to know how to act in good times as in bad times, but in my opinion, respect must be applied in both directions. Indeed, if the police respect and understand people from the suburbs more then maybe it will be the same idea on the other side.
However, the French motto would it not be "liberty, equality, fraternity", so why the state does not want to hear the people. They probably tell themselves that their ideologies are the best and that of the people suck and that they have no say in it. So the state will use the police (they don't have a say they act a bit like dogs, they only obey orders from above) as a shield against riots, especially in demonstrations , the ideas put forward are not taken into account by the government but unfortunately some people who are called "rioters" eliminate the basic messages and ideas that the people want to convey. Indeed, the State uses the police to keep an eye on the populations, but especially to keep them in order because the inequalities do not cease growing and the State is afraid of a rebellion of the most deprived.
The police no longer play a role of protection against crime but just a role of fighting against those who dare to rise up against the government.

Larbre

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jardin victoire Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:58 pm

In the requested work we will talk about the clashes that persevere between young people from the suburbs and the police. In fact, the article tells us about an attack with fireworks, stones or iron bars on a police station that has been renovated and reinforced in personnel to face the gangs and drug traffickers.
The most experienced police officers speak about this event, talking about real war scenes and say that it is a crime. Unfortunately this act was neither the first nor the last crime committed by the offenders.
The increasing peak of violence against police officers is interacting with the increase in suicides of police officers due to the relentless physical and psychic violence.
In summary, today we are facing a war between the police authority and the youth of the suburbs. The origin of this war is due to a desperate call for help from the youth of the suburbs, who denounce the continuous and heavy violence of the police during their interventions. The attacks and degradations are in fact a struggle against this violence.
Both sides would like equal and fair justice for all but communication is not so simple .

I think that the problem is based on the same principle as "the snake that eats its own tail", that is to say that the most important thing is not to know who was violent first but just to stop all forms of violence. Young people are violent with the police because the police are violent with them, but the police are violent for the same reason, so it goes around in circles.
The media systematically accuses suburban youths because they are considered "uneducated" but there will never be any criticism of police misconduct and police blunders, they are well known to be buried in media silence.
Many suburban youth explain that this violence towards the police is well deserved, because for many years, the police considered their youth as less than nothing (racism, sexual violence, gratuitous violence...). Defending the police is a complicated job, with all the stress and responsibilities that comes with it. The solution would then be for both sides to have more respect and, above all, more communication on both sides.
If it were that easy...

Jardin victoire

Back to top Go down

Post by ecolde01 Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:43 am

Since time immemorial and in all parts of the world there have been wars, settlings of scores, for stories of religion, political ideas or even social class.
Here we are going to talk about altercations between policemen and suburbanites. The inhabitants of suburbs often find themselves in the suburbs because the houses are cheaper there than in the city centre, it is not a choice but a kind of obligation, the problem is that often the policemen have a bad image with young people, so they can't establish a relationship of trust or mutual respect at the very least. Because when a suburbanite behaves well, a policeman will take advantage of it to behave badly, and vice versa. For me, the problem that will override all of this is the fact that if a suburbanite behaves badly, sanctions are imposed, whereas if it's a police officer, either the sanctions are not visible, or they are reduced, or forgotten, which is a pity.

ecolde01

Back to top Go down

Post by tom renoulleau Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:38 pm

First of all I forgave my lateness for this work, I had not seen that it was to be done.
This article tells us about the problem that there is in the disadvantaged suburbs and the police in France, it evokes several problems encountered between these two parties. First of all, I think that there is a real problem coming from the police, the French police officers are cruelly lacking in training, and I find that becoming a police officer today is far too easy, access to training is within the reach of almost everyone, the problem is that after the police officers in the field are not sufficiently prepared, I think that there should be psychological training but also training in negotiation in order to resolve conflicts and not increase them. Also, the police are at the service of politics and not at the service of the people, they are used to monitor the people and not to help and serve them, which creates tensions. I also think that it would be good to reintegrate the community police in order to re-create a link between the police and the people.
Afterwards, there is also a real problem of delinquency in the suburbs, and that is a very difficult problem to solve, but I think that it is mainly due to the discrimination that these neighborhoods suffer, by the lack of means, the lack of schooling, training and jobs. But this conflict is very difficult to solve, and I think it will continue for a while.

tom renoulleau

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubert Clément Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:17 pm

Today, I will present to you an article on the arrival of a new police station in the Paris region. This police station was built and staffed to deal with gangs and drug dealers. For its structure, the architect considered closing the facade, because these areas are sensitive areas where tensions between police and crowds are raging. However, despite the measures taken by the police, criminals attacked two policemen with fireworks, stones and iron bars. The most experienced speak of the war scene as a crime. However, this behavior is neither the first crime nor the last crime of these thugs. Since 2018, these crimes have not stopped. In addition, the increase in violence against police officers has been accompanied by an increase in police suicides. We can say that today we are faced with a war between the police and the suburbs. A message tries to be passed by this population regarding the fact that the interventions are too violent. Attacks and depravity are in fact a struggle against this type of violence. Both sides hope for fair and just justice, but communication is not easy. Finally, there is therefore a problem at the social level which has been too much injustice and violence due to lack of communication, lack of responses and lack of help.

Hubert Clément

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:24 pm

Hubert Clément wrote:Today, I will present to you an article on the arrival of a new police station in the Paris region. This police station was built and staffed to deal with gangs and drug dealers. For its structure, the architect considered closing the facade, because these areas are sensitive areas where tensions between police and crowds are raging. However, despite the measures taken by the police, criminals attacked two policemen with fireworks, stones and iron bars. The most experienced speak of the war scene as a crime. However, this behavior is neither the first crime nor the last crime of these thugs. Since 2018, these crimes have not stopped. In addition, the increase in violence against police officers has been accompanied by an increase in police suicides. We can say that today we are faced with a war between the police and the suburbs. A message tries to be passed by this population regarding the fact that the interventions are too violent. Attacks and depravity are in fact a struggle against this type of violence. Both sides hope for fair and just justice, but communication is not easy. Finally, there is therefore a problem at the social level which has been too much injustice and violence due to lack of communication, lack of responses and lack of help.

Only about 1 month late Rolling Eyes
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum