UP English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Let's talk about end of year evaluations

+11
Tess
Emmannuelle
Titouan
Bastien
célie verdois
leaguilloteau01
Alix
Gwenola
coline
Elsa
Admin
15 posters

Go down

Let's talk about end of year evaluations Empty Let's talk about end of year evaluations

Post by Admin Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:13 am

It's been a strange year this year so with just 4 sessions to go I'd like to give you the opportunity to suggest how you want to be evaluated for this semester.

I already have the team presentation you did earlier in the year and I have your weekly work. In previous years I've finished the semester with an individual "How to" video and a TOEIC test but this year the TOEIC test is not possible so what are your thoughts on how you want to be evaluated?

Do you want another oral comprehension? Would you like a 5 minute job interview? How about a random subject unprepared 5 minute 1 to 1 with me? Or maybe you would like to create a video CV or suggest to me a personal project (which involves research/writing and speaking) that you could do over 2 or 3 weeks?

Here's your chance to influence my decision. Give me your thoughts here.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Let's talk about end of year evaluations Empty Re: Let's talk about end of year evaluations

Post by Elsa Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:36 pm

Hello John! Very Happy

Personally I will prefer a 5 minutes job interview or a random subject unprepared because it's important to practice. We already do written expression, written comprehension and oral comprehension. I know that we discuss every week in group but I think it is very important to keep the speaking and to do an oral on it, as if we were having a simple discussion.

We have several files to return on top of that, so it would be more interesting to do something that doesn't require a lot of preparation (the video CV takes time).

But, this is only my opinion!

Elsa

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Let's talk about end of year evaluations Empty Re: Let's talk about end of year evaluations

Post by coline Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:32 pm

Hello John!
I agree with Elsa, it is important to practice, so a job interview or a random subject it is better because we can’t prepare the subject. In a real situation, we don’t have time to prepare something to say (in a job interview where we would not have been warned). The video CV is too long to prepare and we can help with translation site.

coline

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwenola Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:29 pm

Hello John !

I also agree with my classmates for all the reasons mentioned above. But if I have to choose between a job interview or a random subject I would prefer the job interview because I remember when I had to do an interview for an international company this year I was very stressed at the idea that they could talk to me in English during the interview because we never really prepared for this. I think it can be a good experience in any case.

Gwenola

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Alix Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:53 pm

Hello John or Good Morning !

I’m agree with my class mates. Personally, I prefer an interview on an unprepared subjet. I don’t really like job interview, I find them too conventional. While speaking on a random subjet, I find it cool especially on a subjet where we can echange.

Alix

Back to top Go down

Post by leaguilloteau01 Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:14 pm

Hello John,

I find really important oral expressions, more than writing as we always can have a look online to find a word for example. It may not be possible but I would like to have professional discussion, such as the job interview that you had suggested. Also 5 minutes will it be enough time ?

I have a question, do you know when are we going to have our resume and cover letter feedback ? Smile  If I may, do you have our mistakes writing up ? I think it would be interesting for us to know what we don't do correctly as we may no realize it. Rolling Eyes
leaguilloteau01
leaguilloteau01

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:20 am

leaguilloteau01 wrote:Hello John,

I find really important oral expressions, more than writing as we always can have a look online to find a word for example. It may not be possible but I would like to have professional discussion, such as the job interview that you had suggested. Also 5 minutes will it be enough time ?

I have a question, do you know when are we going to have our resume and cover letter feedback ? Smile  If I may, do you have our mistakes writing up ? I think it would be interesting for us to know what we don't do correctly as we may no realize it. Rolling Eyes

Hi Lea,

I'm working my way through the CVs at the moment. Some of the group have had theirs but I must admit I'm swamped with work this semester due to the increased load for both new creation and marking and the evaluations for STAPS too. I'll do your CV next (it takes me about 40 minutes to go through a CV!) and I'll try to get it to you this afternoon.
Admin
Admin
Admin

leaguilloteau01 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by célie verdois Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:56 am

Thank you, John, to ask our opinion about exam! Personally, I hate TOEIC!
I think video CV can be a good idea, I've never done it, so why not try something new?
I think that seeing us speak is a good means of assessing this course.
We can make unprepared subject 5 minutes 1 to 1 so I think it’s necessary to have ten minutes to reflect about the topic to have some interesting things to say otherwise I say I don’t know… This system It's like what we do in class every week. I think it's interresent to speack so if we have an interessant topic it's a good idea.

célie verdois

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Let's talk about end of year evaluations Empty Let's talk about end of year evaluations

Post by Bastien Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:33 pm

Hello John

For me the work we did in the first semester was good. We had to choose a film or series that we liked. I think it would be nice if we could talk about something else we liked to do in our free time for example?
As it's a subject we like, we won't have to spend hours working on it. Not that I'm not a worker, but I'm still looking for an internship, we also have group files to work on. It's true that for the video CV it can be very long.
So that everyone agrees, we could each do something different?
The students who want to do an interview in 5min and the others who want to present something they like for 5min.
It allows you to alternate and not have the same thing each time.

Bastien

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Titouan Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:43 pm

Hello JoHN,

I agree with ELSA TOO, the oral with a random subject during 5 minutes look a good idea. It's important to don't have a prepared text and just talk.

If we have have an other idea we'll contact you I think.

Thanks John to ask.

tito

Titouan

Back to top Go down

Post by Emmannuelle Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:50 pm

Hello John,

I will only repeat what my classmates have said, but I too prefer to have an oral and especially an interview or even just a professional conversation. On the other hand, I must admit that I don't have any vocabulary that has never had this type of exercise to do but it can only be beneficial for us.

Thank you in any case for asking our opinion,
Hoping that this will help you!

Emmannuelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Tess Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:24 pm

Good evening John,
For the final exam, I had enjoyed working on a series last semester, I think we could keep this idea for this semester.
Talking about a subject that fascinates us and makes us feel alive seems very good to me. It allows us to practice while talking about a subject that we like.

Please forget about the job interview, it's already horrible enough in French, so help me in English.

Tess

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:18 pm

So why do I only have 10 replies to this thread that has been up for 2 weeks? (Maybe I should be happy as that is nearly twice as many as group A)

Have my students stopped working in English? Have they even read all the articles that they should be preparing for Thursday morning? Am I getting worried?

You may think that this thread is pointless but I don't believe in an education system that doesn't educate the "whole" person. I believe that the student should have an integral part in the course that they have chosen to follow. I dislike the idea of putting a number next to a name to show "learning". Are we trying to educate people for life, to help a person be a productive and happy part of a community, to help them grow into their potential or are we trying to rank people on certain defined and undefined skills? Are we characters in a video game (Grammar 6, Structures 4, oral comprehension 8, oral expression 12 ....)or complex interactive human systems? bah! Why should I continue only 10 people will look and respond anyway :-) (copy and pasted from the other group changing the 6 to a higher number).
Admin
Admin
Admin

Tess and leaguilloteau01 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CaroleMikhail Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:49 pm

Hi John,

Sorry for this late reply. I also prefer the oral expression about an unprepared subject, I think that we all have got the hang of written expressions and this will put us in a more realistic situation considering that we don’t get to prepare every time before being in situations where we have to speak English, so I think this will be a good way to practice.

Theoretically, educating is about making people more productive and happy but unfortunately, in reality, we’ve spent so much time getting ranked that we have forgotten what education is supposed to be about. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to express ourselves about what we want and take part in this course’s process.

CaroleMikhail

Back to top Go down

Post by Marion R Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:24 pm

Hello John,

I didn't answer you because I would only be repeating what others say.
The video CV idea is a good one but it takes time. I like the idea of an oral discussion. I know that an unprepared discussion would be ideal but personally it makes me anxious just thinking about it. So, Bastien's idea is good, each person tells you what they want (interview, prepared or unprepared topic), so everyone is happy.

Marion R

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:06 pm

Marion R wrote:Hello John,

I didn't answer you because I would only be repeating what others say.
The video CV idea is a good one but it takes time. I like the idea of an oral discussion. I know that an unprepared discussion would be ideal but personally it makes me anxious just thinking about it. So, Bastien's idea is good, each person tells you what they want (interview, prepared or unprepared topic), so everyone is happy.  

Marion which answer should I give you:

1. You should've been first to reply then you wouldn't have repeated what anyone said.
2. Maybe I'm just waiting for your reply because that's what matter to me most.
3. If a law maker asked the people about abolishing slavery or improving the rights of LGBTQ+... would they be better swayed by 2 people answering and the rest saying nothing or the repetition of the same answer by the whole population?

Sad
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Auriane Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:16 pm

hi John,
I have already taken a TOEIC test and it was not fabulous. I can say the same about speaking, so... shall we have 1/2 minutes to think about it? Or maybe a question to get into the subject? I hope my kindness will raise my English grade.
Auriane
Auriane

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by auxane Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:51 pm

Hi,

I prefer to be rated on something prepared please john like CV becaus others propoitions have already worked on it.

auxane

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum