UP English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Week 6 - Christmas

+14
Adrien Roucairol
Lauralee Spadat
Kellia Cassagnau
carolinemaggi
AdélaïdeSagnes
Jessica Mauricio
Emeline Texier
Laura Berthier
Emma Vancostenoble
Lisa Garcia
Axelle Fardeau
Camille GENNESSON
katia katy
Admin
18 posters

Go down

Week 6 - Christmas Empty Week 6 - Christmas

Post by Admin Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:40 am

Ho! Ho! Ho!
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Week 6 - Christmas Empty Re: Week 6 - Christmas

Post by katia katy Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:57 pm

hey,
yeyyyy, finally my favortite topic "Chrismas" Very Happy hah, im kidding
to be frank with you, i never celebrate Chrismas, because of my religion and culture so i can't really talk about the magic of chrismas, the decoration that i'll put on my chrismas tree or the gifts that i want...any way
there are thing that i like during the chrismas period for example there is a special atmosphere, the streets are beautifully decorated with coloured lights...
i also like the chrismas market, i really enjoy walking there, buy Churros and roasted chestnut miam, miam.
I also go there to ride the ferris wheel and see all the chrismas market it's wonderful
Smile See you, take care
katia katy
katia katy

Back to top Go down

Post by Camille GENNESSON Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:17 am

Hi ! santa

Just this once, i'm among the first to answer...

I love Christmas time ! But i'm the only one in my family... They laugh at me when I buy the first gifts in October. But I'm organized, that's all ! cyclops

We're a foster family, so I have 2 "little sisters" who still believe in Santa Claus, I think that's why Christmas spirit is still present in my home. Plus, I love to see them opening their presents on Christmas morning.

As Katia said, the atmosphere is special on Christmas time. Have you ever been to Alsace on this period ? My parents have, two years ago, and they made me want to go there. Apparently, markets are beautiful there.

See you rendeer
Camille GENNESSON
Camille GENNESSON

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:29 am

I did go to Rovaniemi and Lapland and took my children to see Father Christmas in the artic circle when they were small.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Axelle Fardeau Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:19 pm

Hi John ! santa rendeer

I love Christmas, I like the atmosphere, hot chocolate days, fireplace and plaid. Also, family meals that have 3 starters, 3 courses, 2 desserts and a digestive (endless but it’s so greedy), and especially the gifts. When I was a kid, I loved opening my gifts but now I prefer to offer them it is more satisfying. Anyway considering my age I don’t have so many magical gifts but it doesn't matter cause Christmas is magic !! Smile
Axelle Fardeau
Axelle Fardeau

Back to top Go down

Post by Lisa Garcia Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:02 pm

Hello everyone, bounce

Well, I like the spirit of Christmas but I hate when it's cold, so I like Christmas under a plaid in front of the fireplace, like an old person!
No, to be true, when I was younger, I liked Christmas because I could ask for all the bullshit that I wanted during the year and my parents didn't want to offer me because I had no good reason. What a Face
However a few years ago, I had to be operated and I spent Christmas in the hospital, even though my parents came to see me during the day, I spent the eve alone ... Crying or Very sad So that's when I realized that the gifts didn't really matter to me that much and I especially want to spend time with those I love because it's hard to find moments for everyone to get together, and above all what matters to me is to see them happy.
So, as Axelle says, now I prefer to offer gifts too rather than receiving them, even though as a student I don't have the budget to make big gifts, I always thought that one day when I would have the means I would do a Christmas where I would offer really important gifts to my loved ones and give them the best Christmas they've ever had ! I love you

I hope everyone will spend a good Christmas this year and enjoy your loved ones! santa
Lisa Garcia
Lisa Garcia

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:08 pm

Lisa, Is that a rabbit or a mutated guinea pig?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Emma Vancostenoble Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:19 pm

Hi little Christmas' elves !

I'll be maybe too grumpy... Even if I love everything about the imaginary world, Christmas did not makes me feel something special. I just enjoy eating fat things, chocolates, seeing my family in order to share a good moment. But that's all.

I can't bear the song of Mariah Carrey anymore ! And all those films really simple, in which a poor girl met a beautiful man in the snow... and they'll be happy and they'll have a lot of children... bla bla bla...

But since I have wages I really take pleasure to offer some gifts to people I love, even if it's sometimes really expensive and complex to find goods gifts.
It's the occasion to enjoy family members you can't see during the year, cook good plates and take a break after a hard semester...

By the way some of us had the idea of a "secret Santa Claus" so we'll buy something (5/10€) and the person doesn't know who it could be. I think we'll be surprised !

Have a good (long) week-end everybody Wink
Emma Vancostenoble
Emma Vancostenoble

Back to top Go down

Post by Laura Berthier Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:17 pm

HO HO HO (you can imagine the Santa Claus voice)

Chrismas in 3 words: eat, gift, family. The dream. With the snow on the mountain, it's amazing. I love walking at night with the Christmas lights under the snow. It's very quiet and beautiful, i love the sound of the snow under my feet when i walk.

chhhuuutttt Emma, it's soooo cool Christmas films and songs... During winter holiday, I watch every day, the two Christmas movies that are playing on TF1 with my mother.

But the best is the Christmas dinner with the whole family ! It's such a rare moement, you have to take care of it and enjoy every moment...
Laura Berthier
Laura Berthier

Back to top Go down

Post by Emeline Texier Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:27 pm

Hi everybody!

I like christmas period but what I really like it's to give presents to my family and have a good time with them. Obviously, I like christmas food, hot chocolate and the atmosphere, with christmas decoration in the streets and also in the shops.
What I really like it's more the winter season than christmas in particular.
Moreover, I hate christmas movies, there are so fake, with a boring story and always the same story !
I'm sorry, I'm not very inspired for this theme Very Happy

Good bye! Have a great weekend santa
Emeline Texier
Emeline Texier

Back to top Go down

Post by Jessica Mauricio Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:00 pm

Christmas is my favourite time of the year ! (This sentence is just to annoy John ahah Very Happy )

For me Christmas has always been associated to Portugal because I always have been there during this special time of the year. In Portugal things are not so different. Of course, the food changes. We don't eat "la bûche de noel" but we have our own special desserts (click below):

sonhos

arroz doce

Pudim de ovos

If we wanna talk about Christmas in a more serious way, I think today we are luckier than our grand parents. Most of us gets a lot of gifts but at their time it was different. In my opinion, Christmas is for children in the sens that it's for them essentially that we try to preserve Christmas spirit and in general they receive more gifts than adults which is normal i think.
Jessica Mauricio
Jessica Mauricio

Back to top Go down

Post by AdélaïdeSagnes Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:59 am

Hello, in my opinion, Christmas it’s the unique celebration who make winter period interesting. I do appreciate winter for this celebration! As Katia said, the spirit of Christmas, the lights, the music in the street, add gaiety and warmth.
I remember when I was young, each year I made ice skating in a square from my city with my sister and cousin. It’s good memories.
Regarding to the presents, I used to looking for presents the 24 of December. And with my family we share a meal on the 24 night!!!
During this party, my uncle and his daughter fight quarrel with each other (but don't worry, it's very funny quarrel), and we watch concert or sometimes horror movies!!! Great Christmas spirit! But we have fun! The 25 it's more classic day, classic meal with all the food we know! Very Happy

AdélaïdeSagnes

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:59 pm

It's not that I don't like Christmas. It's just that I think November is too early to be thinking about Christmas. Just in case some of you think like me here's an advertising angle you could discuss instead:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50392008
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by carolinemaggi Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:45 pm

Hi John,

Now, I'm sure you hate me because I've chosen the best topic ever. Anyway...
I wanted to talk about Christmas because is (generally) a topic which inspire good things (as food, gift, spirit of Christmas, snow, blabla...)
However, I don't enjoy Christmas since forever! Actually I hated it when I was a teenager (of course teenager are stupid!). But now I'm an adorable adult, I love it. Mainly because I know that I'll eat a lot of amazing food and also because I love make gifts. For instance, this year I'll give to my sister 24 gifts... I adore to search special gifts to surprise my family. (it's also an excuse to me to ask for expensive things that I cannot afford myself, strategic!  Twisted Evil )

P.S: I impatient to open my Advent calendar!!

See u soon santa
carolinemaggi
carolinemaggi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kellia Cassagnau Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:26 pm

Hi John santa

It isn't very original but I love Christmas time !

I like all about Xmas, the magic, the family spirit, Christmas decorations, hot chocolate, gingerbread, and thank you Laura, movies !! Very Happy

The past Christmas and for the first time, I was far to my home, so my parents came to see me. I was a little bit sad because I had to pass Xmas without my brother. But he made me the surprise to come in England to be with us. He called me with FaceTime and he said "hey, do you recognize this place ?", actually he was on the car park facing my flat. It is the best gift I never had.

Christmas is perfect to celebrate love, that's why it is so magical. santa
Kellia Cassagnau
Kellia Cassagnau

Back to top Go down

Post by Lauralee Spadat Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:55 pm

Hi there,

Personally over time I give less and less importance to this party. I really enjoy being with my family around a good meal, but almost every year a person is missing, so I'm not as looking forward to it as I used to. Now there is no ancestor, so it is true that the tradition becomes quite heavy.
However, having a large family we are lucky to have new births also every year, so it is important to keep this tradition and pass them on, even if some are missing. But I have a hard time getting used to the idea because this is the first Christmas I will spend without any of my grandparents. Fortunately, the laughter of the little ones always allows us to see the positive side of things.

Otherwise, to talk about something more cheerful, we have culinary traditions in my Italian family too.
Every year for this holiday season, we gather on a day with my grandmother, sister, aunts and cousins (just girls) to make little Italian sweets. In particular calabrian turdilli (<= click). These are small Italian doughnuts that are covered with Sicilian honey, or dark chocolate. It's just a treat. After we distribute to each of our families is small basket of these delicacies. It's really my favorite tradition! Razz
Lauralee Spadat
Lauralee Spadat

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrien Roucairol Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:32 am

Hi,

Christmas? When i was kid, it was my favorite period, but now, it has changed.
I was born on the end of november, so i receive all my gifts at the same moment , and some people forget this sometimes Smile

More seriously, Christmas is great, but over the years it become less and less magic. In particular during the family dinner, it's the moment where i realize that people are no longer there, and it's difficult.

Otherwise, i take a lot of pleasure to offer gifts to my parents, my brother, and my cousins, because i like to see them happy. Overtime, i think that offering makes me happier than receiving.

Good Week
Adrien Roucairol
Adrien Roucairol

Back to top Go down

Post by Célie Moutot Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:38 pm

Hi John ! rendeer

I think Christmas is my favorite celebration, because this is the time when we can get together as a family. I love to eat !, the christmas dinner is the best, we have: foie gras, turkey and Yule log !. And this is the time to receive gifts and offer them.
Christmas is to the period to be in a good mood with the lightings in the streets and the Christmas songs.

I like to listen "Last christmas" by Wham! ahah, this the first song that comes to mind when I think of Christmas and i love watch "Love Actually" too during the Christmas time, there is lot of my favorite actors in this movie, Colin Firth, Keira Knightley, Alan Rickman... Normally I don't really like Christmas movies but this one I like, because it shows that everyone lives Christmas differently, it features very different characters.
Looking forward to Christmas! santa

See you John !
Célie Moutot
Célie Moutot

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Foll Camille Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:48 pm

I love Christmas (like many people of course), although my wallet isn't quite the same. Like everyone else, I would say that being a student is not easy.
Every year it's also a headache and a marathon to find the gifts we're going to offer in time, but in general I'm doing pretty well, it's all about organization. Wink

At Christmas, I particularly like lights and garlands of all colours. Every year I like to visit several cities in order to see as much discoloration and Christmas lighting as possible.
I don't really believe in "Christmas magic" but I appreciate this moment of celebration and conviviality.

Like you John I don't like Christmas movies, I find them useless and boring but I like Christmas cartoons and Christmas songs (because we are all big kids at this time of year).

John, have you finished your Christmas gift list ? rendeer
Le Foll Camille
Le Foll Camille

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:33 pm

Le Foll Camille wrote:I love Christmas (like many people of course), although my wallet isn't quite the same. Like everyone else, I would say that being a student is not easy.
Every year it's also a headache and a marathon to find the gifts we're going to offer in time, but in general I'm doing pretty well, it's all about organization. Wink

At Christmas, I particularly like lights and garlands of all colours. Every year I like to visit several cities in order to see as much discoloration and Christmas lighting as possible.
I don't really believe in "Christmas magic" but I appreciate this moment of celebration and conviviality.

Like you John I don't like Christmas movies, I find them useless and boring but I like Christmas cartoons and Christmas songs (because we are all big kids at this time of year).

John, have you finished your Christmas gift list ? rendeer

why? do you want to know if you are on it? pale
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Foll Camille Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:52 am

Oh no, but with a month to go before the festivities, everyone's making a list.
Le Foll Camille
Le Foll Camille

Back to top Go down

Post by earnau06 Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:35 pm

Hi John !

Like most, Christmas was important to me as a child, but less so today. Despite everything, I never had a family very "family" (I don’t know if it’s in English)... There was a time when I ate, at lunch on December 25, mash and steak. Great. Great memory. Or I once celebrated Christmas in Costa Rica with my parents, on December 24th at night it smelled like barbecue in the streets and we went to a restaurant in flip-flops ! It was very funny.

When I was a child, Christmas was for me synonymous with gifts, teenager it was the opportunity to get me all dressed up and to spend 4 hours preparing me and make up with my cousin (I planned my makeup 1 month before)...
Today is really synonymous with eating well. I love oysters, foie gras (even if it’s not ethical), good meat, dauphine potato... My God...
Christmas lost her magic to me from the moment he missed a person at the table with us. Unfortunately, these things happen.

Otherwise I’m happy to be at Christmas ! It’s a great opportunity.

Bye Very Happy

earnau06

Birthday : 1999-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post by RedaOumouloud Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:22 pm

Hi John !
Well I do not have a lot of culture about Christmas due to the fact that it's not in my religion so that's why I do not know how is it going but I like the decoration of the cities and some houses all over the world I would say that it has a special atmosphere .

See you  santa
RedaOumouloud
RedaOumouloud

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down