UP English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Week 7 subject - Stereotypes article

+15
Marine Corbasson
Axel POUZAUD
SCHINDLER Woumi
Laura28
LASTERE Romane
Mat Poujade
Corentin Chotard
GaiaBenoist
Peplaw Eva
CHAGNEAUD Rémi
Sylvain_Mansier
Idier Sarah
Marina Sedrue
FORESTIER TOM
Admin
19 posters

Go down

Week 7 subject - Stereotypes article Empty Week 7 subject - Stereotypes article

Post by Admin Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:36 pm

Read this long (long) article and then write your views, comments, thoughts  and feelings. You have until 10/11/20 to do this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/swimming/54342301

Last edited by Admin on Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Week 7 subject - Stereotypes article Empty Re: Week 7 subject - Stereotypes article

Post by FORESTIER TOM Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:19 pm

First of all, I find that this article is extremely interesting and unfortunately represents our current world. For me, Michael Gunning was not lucky to get to this point, he only fought like the others and his skin color or sexuality should not be in any way a cause of discrimination or anything else. Michael Gunning is a fighting man who was also lucky because he could have died in the Manchester bombings. Moreover, it is someone who has potential and many goals in the head who shows us all his determination. For me, Michael Gunning's story is beautiful but this should never happen in our world. Gunning's involvement in the Black Lives Matter movement and also in his plan to play a role in transforming his sport to allow many young people of different skin colors to do sports at the same level as the others young people. I also believe that sex between men should not be punishable by imprisonment and that same-sex marriage is legal because it's a choice. We must therefore stop at all these stereotypes and speak openly and be ourselves without fear of judgment or repercussions. So I think the example of Michael Gunning is a great example in terms of struggle, hard work, involvement but this kind of comportment in our world is unacceptable and these people should be punished or they should suffer the same thing to understand the violence they can do to people who are no different from others. Mad Crying or Very sad

FORESTIER TOM

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Week 7 subject - Stereotypes article Empty Re: Week 7 subject - Stereotypes article

Post by Marina Sedrue Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:13 pm

After reading this article, I must have taken a moment to breathe. Indeed, I was mixed between a feeling of admiration and disgust. Indeed, I admire all these black people who are subjected to violence and harassment constantly. But I also feel disgust with humans capable of doing that sort of thing. I really don't understand integrating it for denigrating someone and destroying them by rotting their life.
I find the story of Michael Gunning very touching. And unfortunately, this is not the only story of this kind. I think it's great that the tongues are loosening, and that popular black people are talking more and more on social media. Indeed, it may allow some people to stop believing that the skin color changes something in the individual.
Then, I do not understand that one can reduce a person to his sexual orientation. For example hearing people say "oh yes, but he / she is gay, right?" touch me. Indeed, I think I am more than a person with a sexual orientation. But hey, I know that there is still a lot of mentality to change on this.
Finally, I think that mentalities must change, but thanks to social networks, people are starting to realize what is happening.

Marina Sedrue

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Idier Sarah Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:30 pm

Firstly, racism.
I don't know if I hate these people or if, on the contrary, they make me pitis ...
Indeed I hate these people who think they are superior to others and allow themselves to denigrate people who would be inferior to them.
But I find it a sad life to always judge others and compare yourself to them.
Second, homophobia.
Gunning is gay, others are straight or lesbian, whatever.
The main is to be happy. It's ridiculous to discriminate against someone for he is gay.
I do not use the term "different" because for me it is not different.
I'm glad that a black and gay person is famous because a lot of people can't find a role model and Michael Gunning is a model.

Idier Sarah

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sylvain_Mansier Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:01 pm

To talk about discriminations (globally), I don’t understand that many people can think (still today) that exist some differences, between persons, of skin colour or sexuality that can justify their words and acts. I already find it unacceptable in everyday life but on my opinion it’s even worse in sport, because for me sport has always been a form of personal and collective expression without barrier of language, origin, colour, age, sex or sexuality.
I disagree with Gunning when he speak about “chance”. I don't think that anyone could have reacted as "well" in front of the different discriminatory acts he suffered, and I also don't think that anyone can reach his swimming level. He showed a lot of courage and strength to make a name for himself in a discipline so different from him (in fact, swimming is predominantly a female discipline with a majority of white athletes). What he did and especially the way he did it is amazing and I hope he knows it.

Sylvain_Mansier

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CHAGNEAUD Rémi Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:52 pm

I never understood why racism was so present in the world. I think that racism is something that is not new in this world, and that there has always been more or less racism but that it has amplified with the emergence of certain countries and certain causes. . As far as Michael Gunning is concerned, I find that he has a very good mentality and that his "fight", by swimming, is a fight won because he managed to be accepted "despite" his differences. At one point, he said "It's vital too that we celebrate black successes and share positive stories" and I find that this sentence partly reflects what is currently happening in relation to racism against black populations: these people, who are like us , want to share good vibes and a part of the Eurasian population rejects them for no real reason. To conclude, we can say that the gunning fight is a very good fight and that sport can be a means of defending a cause.

CHAGNEAUD Rémi

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Peplaw Eva Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:11 am

I just finished reading the article and all I want to say is people dislike me. Do you realize that we can no longer live the way we want? It's horrible to read this kind of testimony, to read that people who are victims of this kind of discirmination live in fear all the time. Every second of their life they are afraid because their difference bothers some. If they certain people have different skin colors or different sexuality, it is because it is registered in the human race. For so long there have been "standards", "rules" that now the slightest difference makes FEAR. Yes because homophobia and racism are fears, fear of difference, and when we are afraid we do stupid things, so for me all people who are racist or homophobic are stupid and very little forgetful of mind. These people only see the tip of their nose and are blind to the rest of the world. We may be the only living being in the universe but looking at it, we already come to hate this between us. BLM & LGBTQ +, "PEACE AND LOVE!!!"

Peplaw Eva

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GaiaBenoist Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:10 pm

I think this article should be read by a lot of people as it unfortunately represents the world we live in now. I find it unacceptable that racism and homophobia have existed since the dawn of time, and that they still persist today. This article shows us the example of the black and gay athlete, Michael Gunning who from his testimony makes us understand that he has suffered verbal violence several times but also physical violence. Michael Gunning says he is lucky to compete in the sport he loves today. Me, I do not find it to be lucky, he has his place like any other athlete in sport. He fought to get there and deserves a recognition. He would like to shatter the stereotypes that persist in our world today and I find that beautiful and courageous of him. Personally I don't understand how stories like Michael Gunning's can exist, I don't understand why people pick on other people because they are deemed "different". I find these people stupid and not open-minded because we are all different and it is not a skin color or a sexuality that will define if yes or not we are different from others. Each person must be free to be as they are, as they want to be and for what they do. These stereotypes must disappear!

GaiaBenoist

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Corentin Chotard Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:32 pm

This article is very touching, it allows me to feel many emotions, I am divided between enthusiasm and disgust towards some people or facts. Michael Gunning’s story is really poignant. First of all I would like to talk about the mentality of people, that’s what disgusts me more in what I could read. How can you be so closed-minded! Why not support black people, racism is a plague in this world, there are always people with hatred towards people of black colors. This racism is very violent how Michael Gunning explained it, and in addition it affects a lot of people, I don't understand how one can be racist towards people just because they have a different skin color but yet it is a current fact and that persists. There is also homophobia at the heart of its history which is another fact just as violent as racism...But everything Mr.Gunning remains positive throughout his life, he has recovered in hand despite racism, homophy, the attack, he managed to move forward and in turn he tries to change things. He is committed to the cause of racial segregation of blacks people, he is committed to the improvement of this world! He remains positive despite all the negatives around us. He wants to help young people of black colour to get involved in swimming. He is a remarkable man with incredible strength and willpower. He is a model to follow! It gives hope to the world through its journey which is far from over!

Corentin Chotard

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Week 7 subject - Stereotypes article Empty The lack of open-mindedness of a world defeated by one man's hope

Post by Mat Poujade Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:49 pm

I'm at the end of this reading, in total admiration of this guy... I'm really impressed by his goals and his will. He wants to beat racism, to beat stereotypes, and all the negatives things about different sex lives. Yep, it's a black gay swimmer, maybe the first, the story won't tell us this detail but he has the rage to conquer.
Literally, thus guy impressed me. I think I overreacting because it was in a certain white sport, but his objectives are awesome. Turned out to be in the Nationale Jamaican team while he was gay its something, beat some records and prouve to the rest of the world, a certain black gay swimmer can do that, are impressive too.
I really want to the entire world change his mindset about racism and Homophobia. Maybe he can do that with his friends to beat this stereotype in Tokyo next year. Moreover what left me the most stunned its his engagement since school in his sport. No social activity, no drink, no girls (or boys) no date before 23... It was really a way to win and to reach his dreams. I'm glad to have some people like him in our world, especially if he can change the world, and I please guilty but I'm even glad it's someone of color, at least it will be able to make the youngest want to do like him, to surpass oneself or discover yourself. I hope the ewiil be always some good person in art culture or sport to inspire another people, it's very important!
I even think that the simple reading of this article made me want to surpass myself again and also to swim again! Let's goo!

Mat Poujade

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Week 7 subject - Stereotypes article Empty Michael Gunning

Post by LASTERE Romane Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:40 am

Having finished reading this article, I can say that I am very proud that there are such strong people in this world. They have faced extremely complicated situations everyday, already practicing a sport in which the majority of athletes are white and also in which there are stereotypes about black people. Michael Gunning is an example because im knew how to get out of the mockery of his comrades in his childhood, to assume his sexuality especially in a country that is resistant to it, he lived through a terrorist attack and despite that he smiled all along the interview. In addition, he supports his community in both the LGBT movement and the BLM movement. However he says that it is questioned many times because of all this, but he remained himself without changing for the others. Now in his discipline he gets very good results. As for Simone Manuel who experienced the same racism, she is also a strong female figure in this sport, the fact that she wants more black people to break stereotypes and come swimming and the fact that she believes in them is really important. I think those stereotypes should be gone a long time ago, and now it’s up to us to follow the lead of these great people.

LASTERE Romane

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Laura28 Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:35 pm

For me, this article is unfortunately a reflection of our world and our mentality today. I find Michael Gunning a remarkable man. I think a lot of people should follow their example instead of continuing to have such an underdeveloped mindset. I find it appalling that people can reject human beings and even be able to accept being violent towards them just because they do not fit in these people's boxes. For me, these people who have a kind of mentality should review certain things. Every person, whether black or gay, remains a human being with feelings. These people because of the insults, the violence they endure every day live in fear when it should not. For me, we should take an example from these people who never let go, who fight to the end, they have unwavering courage and it's magnificent. Every difference makes this world more beautiful.

Laura28

Back to top Go down

Post by SCHINDLER Woumi Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:20 pm

These peoples "alone versus everybody" are amazing. This type of people with large smile who you know (I speak globally) he have most suffered than you and you never smile fascinates me. It is a proof of great courage and as well as great strength which in my opinion should be more valued. I don't understand in 2020 how people become so devaluing towards others. If you don't like gay or black etc ok, it's the taste and the colors but if you yell it all over and that you want to change the opinion of other people, it's here the real probleme.What does it make a difference to your life that this person is gay? Shocked if you are not happy, it is like that and make your life without worrying about others. My mother teaching me since ever a great lesson in life "la liberté des uns s'arrete la où commence celle des autres" and how it's possible to get to creat trauma to others because of harassment. The human being is for me a darn stupid mystery and people like Michael Gunning are wonderful.

SCHINDLER Woumi

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Axel POUZAUD Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:08 pm

After I read this really long article I can take the feeling on the article. This is a really hard interview.

Michael Gunning has endure lots of violence, innequalities or racisms actions.

In my mind Michael is a stronger athlete because he lived some many sadness experiences. He has survive at many attacks terrorists. He must to reborn after the shocks. He is a role model for all blacks people around the world.

Swimming has get out Michael of his bad luck and problems. He is a survivor.

For me Michael Gunning is little compared to Michael Phelps because the second Michael is the best swimmer around the world, but before that he work extremely hard to take the top rankings. But same as many athletes Michael fall in darks moments. He fall in alcohol and drugs.

And the first Michael has lived a really sadness youth and same today. He work really hard to create his life. His black homosexual Jamaican life. And more, he work to swim at the top ranking!

So for me all of people fight for various reasons and goals. But what matters is what you become what you do in your life. Michael Gunning is a role model for all people. He is fight in his life to get his head out of the water and criticizes. He manifest with the movement "Black Lives Matter”.
To finish for me the persons are strongest on the world! Like a Star @ heaven

Axel POUZAUD

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Marine Corbasson Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:40 am

I find that these testimonies are very strong and show something importantThese people who are discriminated for their gender style etc. for full of possible criteria live constantly in fear and she suffer enormously For me there may be a difference between each human being but this difference must not become a fear of itBelow should never be said the man of black color or a different sexuality should not feel different it is like everyone else "To be honest, though, I don't know whether it was because I'm black or because of my sexuality."

Marine Corbasson

Admin and Marine Corbasson like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Fany Parlange Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:47 pm

Being a swimmer, gay and black may not be easy for him every day. We live in a society that judges and very stereotypical but that is changing little by little so in the meantime we have to fight. As a child he was racist along with his classmates and other people and to the point of getting acid in his face it is despicable. He shows the courage to tell his story which ultimately resembles that of many people. The mentality of people towards someone gay is unfair there is so much different sexuality now and it does not affect the person or their ability to be like everyone else he is different in his own way but he remains Michael Gunning . Swimming I think allowed him to hold on and bring justice because sport should not be discriminatory. I do not know if we can say that it is thanks or because of his events that he was able to find his way, but he is alive and with new goals whether in swimming with the Olympics, the opening of repressed sexuality in Jamaica and swimming. I think he's been through a lot for his young age and is a person who will make a difference in his own way.

Fany Parlange

Back to top Go down

Post by Lou-Ann Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:30 pm

Michael Gunning is incredible, his goal is to fight racism, it is true that in this world racism ( on all scales) is still too present. It is also gay, something that is still not accepted in the whole world.I think that as a gay and black swimmer actually life does not have to be easy every day, but precisely he wants to revolutionize this so that mentalities change and that the differences of each are accepted.Michael is an example for our future world because it can’t stay that way, it’s an unbearable world for blacks and gays. Instead of complaining all the time or criticizing the differences of others we should unite!

Lou-Ann

Back to top Go down

Post by Denimal Albin Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:26 am

The two main reassuring themes of this long document are "Racism" and "Homophobia". Michael Gunning is an example to everyone, he is black on the one hand and gay on the other.
Today, in this world and with all that is happening, we cannot feel superior to others and discriminate against them.
People whether black or gay will not change what is normal for others. I think that the people who judge must question this nowadays that this is unacceptable.

Denimal Albin

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Gradinac Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:49 pm

This article really touched me, when you write this article you must be attached with Michael Gunning and on this history. It's very good to speak about this causes. Today more and more sportsmen take part of causes like "black lived matters" or like Michael "LGBTQ+" and lot's of more...
He got also another fight because he was vicim of racism in his sport.
On this article there are lot's of other black American athletes from all sports, like George Floyd, who Michael was assigned in same fight.
Today, there is so sad to speak again of racism and discrimination when you look a man. In we society there are again when you are gay or when you are black or white it's weird. Just because I'm black i can't work on this job, or I can't study here.

Paul Gradinac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down