UP English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2nd discussion topic - Cultural differences

+21
Camille Ayrault
Lauriane BELLOY
BERTHO Manon
Leo Bruand
Luis Ferreira
LAURINE BRUN
Mathilde David
Barbier Victor
DELAITE Carine
Laura Croegaert
Celia Butel
boyadzhieva.yoana
Fanny CLAVAUD
Pauline Avril
Maimouna Barry
Lucas De Conti
Aleksandra Blaszczak
Maxime Calogine
ANIL Yeliz
Viktor Beekman
Admin
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

2nd discussion topic - Cultural differences Empty 2nd discussion topic - Cultural differences

Post by Admin Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:26 pm

As suggested by the ladies who visited China. A discussion on cultural differences that you have noticed or a denouncement of false differences you've heard. Are cultural differences beneficial to a country and population? Are they dangerous? How should France handle the cultural differences of its people? Do you agree with Sarkozy's "Gaul" idea? or whatever....

Where are you Axel?
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

2nd discussion topic - Cultural differences Empty Re: 2nd discussion topic - Cultural differences

Post by Viktor Beekman Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:32 pm

Good evening ladies and gentlemen,

For this subject I will be talking about the cultural differences between the Netherlands and France, because I spend quite some time in both of these countries.

Even though the Netherlands and France are both European countries and therefore the differences are a lot smaller than between China and France for example, I still found quite some differences between these two countries. Before I start about that I would like to denounce some of the Dutch stereotypes about French people.

In the Netherlands we joke a lot about our neighboring countries; Germany, Belgium and France of course! In general, the Dutch people dislike the French, but I never really understood why? (perhaps that they only visit Paris or touristic places where the people are stressed?) So the stereotypes about the French aren’t very nice. The main stereotype would be that the French mistake their perfume for a shower or that they smell like their cheeses. I found out that this isn’t true of course with only a few exceptions (I'm looking at you Julie Laughing ), however they really do love their wine!

When I first came to France is when I noticed best the differences between us. Life in this country is a lot less fast paced and stressful in my opinion. In Holland for example we don’t have a lunch break as long as they do in France, therefore we just eat a sandwich instead of a warm meal. We also used to eat dinner a lot earlier for this reason (at 17:30). I also noticed that the French people are a lot more open than the Dutch people, who tend to be more distant at first. There are plenty of other differences but I don’t want to write a book here.

Finally, if I would have to choose between France and The Netherlands I would pick France. I really prefer the weather, the food and the people there.

Till next time,

Viktor Beekman
Viktor Beekman
Viktor Beekman

Back to top Go down

2nd discussion topic - Cultural differences Empty Re: 2nd discussion topic - Cultural differences

Post by ANIL Yeliz Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:27 pm

Good afternoon my friends !!!!!!!!

As you know, I have turkish origins, so, I want to speak about the cultural differences between France and Turkey...

France is an European country while Turkey is a country which straddles two regions : Europe and Asia. First, there is a religion difference between these countries : in Turkey, the vast majority of the population is nominally Muslim while Catholic Christianity is the largest religion in France. Cause of this, it can be a mentality difference. In France, the people is more modern and in Turkey, if I can say that, a significant portion of the population is conservative.

In Turkey, there are many traditions and customs : the respect of persons more older than we is very important. For example, when you meet your father, you must do a kiss on his hand. It's a sign of respect towards him.

We will continue with the differences in everyday life...
Evening, Turkish people make brunch and not breakfast. Then, in Turkey the persons are more hearty ; in France the persons are "cold". In Turkey, even if you don't cognize the person, you can say uncle or auntie.

Personally, I can't make a choice between these two cultures because both are part of me !!! flower
ANIL Yeliz
ANIL Yeliz

Back to top Go down

Post by Maxime Calogine Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:43 am

Hello economists,

For this debate, I’m not very inspired, so my speech will be brief.

All around the world, we observe numerous cultures. We can see these differences at the scale of a continent, a country or else between regions.
As for me, I’m going to put facing each other France and Japan. Japan not really appeals to me because there are too many disparities, that’s why I choose this country.

First of all, Japanese writing is based on 2 different alphabets ; Hiragana and Katakana. In parallel, they use symbols to communicate whereas in France we use letters, characters.

Then, I’m talking about foods. Japanese people are crazy about several flat including seafood (sushi…), raw fishes, noodles... Indeed, in Japan, it’s so easy to buy fresh ingredient. Their cooking is atypical and it's more and more in export.

Mangas and video games are omnipresent in Japanese way of life. These 2 symbols invaded the western world and many teenagers love these hobbies. Moreover, Every year in Paris, we organize the Japan exhibition to appreciate Japanese popular culture.. We can also add the J POP music, Origami and martial art.

To finish, their religion is entirely different that in France. In fact, Shintoism and the Buddhism are based on the ancestors cult. When you think about japanese religion, lot of persons speak of wisdom and respect.

All these aspects make that the Japanese culture (generally Asian culture) differ that France and the Western world.
Maxime Calogine
Maxime Calogine

Back to top Go down

Post by Aleksandra Blaszczak Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:05 am

Hi, Guys, how's it going?
I think the most striking cultural feature would be pessimism or optimism, I was told that the French tend to think negatively at most times, and unfortunately I observe it in Poles, too. Stereotypically thinking, this leads the both nations to a behaviour called "uncertainty avoidance" which is basically going out of your way to escape situations which are new and you don't know what could happen. For the Polish people it may be true, but is it for the French? I have yet to see. Very excited.
On going to China two years ago, I thought that I would meet young adults just like me. Maybe what mislead me was the globalized spreading of mass culture, mainly based on the American input to the world, as we know it. So yes, the young Chinese would listen to black rap from California, and others to Taylor Swift, they would know TV series from all across the globe, but didn't seem to be happy to let themselves go and entirely blend with the foreign society I was a member of at that time. The Chinese would mostly be Chinese, what can I say, they kept to themselves. I was kind of annoyed but now I'm conscious that direct mingling with different cultures is just not their style. They're a collectivist society, just not when they're with you. You go be your individualist self for most of the stay, as a surviving technique.
A striking move of theirs would be to say that they'd do something I had asked for and never do it. A classical example of agreeing, without agreement, not loosing face in the process. They're a very kind people, though, I must say. Don't forget to bring your gift, otherwise, you never know Very Happy
I love to compare cultures when it comes to the quantity of polite expressions and movements they employ. Let's look at this example: the French will kiss your cheeks at the first encounter (yeah, I tried to shake a guy's hand instead and he froze for a sec). But this Russian friend of mine, she never needs to use too many words or body movements to make others confortable or welcome. The Russians don't bother to be warm as they see it as overbearing and too much. All that said, they don't mean to be rude.
As potential business people, we should know the culture of our prospective partners because that may completely change the way we understand our needs and how we communicate. There are many fascinating, even though stereotyping theories about cultural dimensions, the most known of them being Hofstede's study on IBM's employees located in different parts of the globe. One of his dimensions is "indulgence vs. restraint". Example? How indulgent are the French people who take 1-2 hours lunch break in comparison with Americans or Poles who tend to eat their lunch in ten minutes at their desk? Incredible. But now our task is to know how to manage that in an international oriented company.

Aleksandra Blaszczak

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucas De Conti Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:54 am

Hello economists,
For this debate, I want speak about richness cultural of our country : France.
For me, France is beautiful by this differents cultures. In France, we have differents origins, differents religions, differents way of life.
Today, with the election, differents politics want to divide us for obtain vote. In France, we sigmatised a person who is differents. Some peoples hide in differents quotatien like that of « De Gaulle » for convey a racist message (Morano). But France has changed, with differents waves of immigration, who helped to build our country. I love my country because he’s supposed be open for all the culture and put in the same starting line these resident.
I’m sad to see also that we have debate for Burkini while unemployment increase...And differents persons work in difficult conditions (nurses, policeman, farmer..).
The freedom of expression and the liberty of dress must stay intact in France. I like the human being because we have differents personnality and differents cultures that we want share between us.
Let us love one another !
Lucas 
Lucas De Conti
Lucas De Conti

Birthday : 1996-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Maimouna Barry Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:03 pm

Hello
I am of Guinean culture and now I live in France.
there is a great difference between these two cultures. In Guinea, for example, religion is the Muslim religion but there is a small minority who practice Christianity, other Catholicism also do practice any.In France the dominant religion is Christianity, there is a minority of Muslim also . it is forbidden to marry one person of the same sex in Guinea unlike France. Furthermore they can get married to four women in Guinea which is not at all possible in France. In guinea even in children when major are forced to live in the parental home unlike France pushing children to take their own apartment as soon as they are major. Parents also have the right to correct their children while giving them small strokes which is not allowed in France.
I personally think that there is a big difference between these two cultures and people living in France can hardly fit the Guinean culture. in Guinea there are several ethnic groups and each with its own realities Fulani for example have their own dance, food, and also their own different stories from other ethnic groups.
Guinean culture is very different from the French

Maimouna Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pauline Avril Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:32 pm

Hello everyone,

I don't really know what to speak about in this topic because I think it's very close to the previous one. But anyway...

I am not going to speak about two countries because I don't know enough about another country than France. So I will focus on the benefits of cultural differences (personal opinion of course). I have some friends who have a double nationality, like Yeliz or Luis, and some friends who have a complete different nationality, my Erasmus friends.
The thing I can say is that they are obviously some cultural differences... Try to listen some musics with Yeliz. This is a fact, there is plenty things you do in a different way according to your origin.
In my opinion these differences are an amazing thing.
But I am not learning you anything telling you that not everybody think like that. I really don't get the point of creating some blocks, separate from each other, according to a nationality, a religion, ... How can you learn or open you mind with somebody who think exactly the same than you, there is no debate, no point. An uni-cultural country is for me the most boring scenario ever, and it's weirdly look like some science fiction movie where all the people are dress the same and just numbers. I don't want to say that you cannot be proud of your country or your culture, you can and it's a good thing, but it doesn't mean your culture is the best and the only way to understand the world.
I learn so much meeting people from others countries, other religions, other politic opinions, ... I am not agree with everyone, but listen an other point view allows me to forge mine.

So sorry people who want an uni-cultural country but I really it will NEVER NEVER NEVER happen !
See ya.
Pauline Avril
Pauline Avril

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:17 am

Pauline Avril wrote:Hello everyone,

I don't really know what to speak about in this topic because I think it's very close to the previous one. But anyway...

I am not going to speak about two countries because I don't know enough about another country than France. So I will focus on the benefits of cultural differences (personal opinion of course). I have some friends who have a double nationality, like Yeliz or Luis, and some friends who have a complete different nationality, my Erasmus friends.
The thing I can say is that they are obviously some cultural differences... Try to listen some musics with Yeliz. This is a fact, there is plenty things you do in a different way according to your origin.  
But I am not learning you anything telling you that not everybody think like that. I really don't get the point of creating some blocks, separate from each other, according to a nationality, a religion, ... How can you learn or open you mind with somebody who think exactly the same than you, there is no debate, no point. An uni-cultural country is for me the most boring scenario ever, and it's weirdly look like some science fiction movie where all the people are dress the same and just numbers.  I don't want to say that you cannot be proud of your country or your culture, you can and it's a good thing, but it doesn't mean your culture is the best and the only way to understand the world.
I learn so much meeting people from others countries, other religions, other politic opinions, ... I am not agree with everyone, but listen an other point view allows me to forge mine.

So sorry people who want an uni-cultural country but I really it will NEVER NEVER NEVER happen !
See ya.

So what about "Gender Theory"? Shouldn't we be celebrating our differencies rather than ignoring them or trying to remove them? Yes, I heard the Pope say something that is possibly relevant today.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pauline Avril Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:49 am

Admin wrote:
Pauline Avril wrote:Hello everyone,

But I am not learning you anything telling you that not everybody think like that. I really don't get the point of creating some blocks, separate from each other, according to a nationality, a religion, ... How can you learn or open you mind with somebody who think exactly the same than you, there is no debate, no point. An uni-cultural country is for me the most boring scenario ever, and it's weirdly look like some science fiction movie where all the people are dress the same and just numbers.  I don't want to say that you cannot be proud of your country or your culture, you can and it's a good thing, but it doesn't mean your culture is the best and the only way to understand the world.

See ya.

So what about "Gender Theory"? Shouldn't we be celebrating our differencies rather than ignoring them or trying to remove them? Yes, I heard the Pope say something that is possibly relevant today.

Mhm... that's a more controversial subject ! I am not really sure that I have a well determinate opinion on it.
Actually I am more in favor of Gender theory, but how can I know.. I am not in this situation and I didn't meet people in this situation during my short life. I think I am soft defender.. really soft. And not really a defender of this theory, I am more a defender of people who don't find their place in some blocks.
I really think that people who don't feel matching with their sexe don't feel like this by choice. For me it's not a question of smashing all the sexe differences (I am allergic to extreme ) but a question of empathie and tolerance.
But I read a couple of articles on it (by the way it's the subject of my favorite magazine this month : Neon ) I am really questioning myself on it. I am open to all the arguments, seems like they all make a bit sense. Like the separation is a social construction, where some people don't recognize themselves.. but it's not the all story of course men and women haven't the same sensibility and the same ability for things...
you put me in front of a real puzzle !
Pauline Avril
Pauline Avril

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanny CLAVAUD Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:52 pm

Hi everyone!
I remember when I was in US, how many cultures there are! I take it more like strength than a weakness. When I see a country like US or our own country with all these people (not all of us hopefully, I’m thinking about Le Pen and Trump), who want to get out some of us because they have different cultures and origins. I think it’s not fair. Everybody should have the choice to live where they want to live. Plus, we are not 500 years ago, we must accept the social progress and accept each other. I call that: respect.
I think the best thing when you meet someone who has a different culture, it’s to learn about the country, the habits, the food, the art like music, cinema…
And sometimes you think “this is so cool”!

So, yes. Maybe we, French people, see most of the time the bad side of things, we’re not very optimistic. The mean problem is the stereotypes. I think people who have 2 or more cultures are lucky!

Fanny CLAVAUD

Back to top Go down

Post by boyadzhieva.yoana Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:24 pm

Hi everyone,

I will share with you some of my views on the cultural differences between France and Bulgaria.

A lot of Bulgarian people are suspicious of fun – some were born like that, poor souls, others consider their job as the most important thing in the world and fun is at the bottom of their list of importance, and others just don’t have the means to have fun. The “credit” for all that goes to the Socialist regime that lasted from the end of WWII to 1989. Maybe you have heard of the “Percentages agreement” between Stalin and Churchill about the division of European countries after WWII. According to that agreement Russia should have 75% of influence over Bulgaria and the UK – 25%. However, I think no one perceived any Western influence whatsoever. We had a dictatorship of a Communist party which to a great extent was the reason for shaping general narrow-mindedness in people. Luckily this period has been over for 26 years now and young people are much more open-minded and the serious sulky faces are less and less common.

France is a totally different country and that’s why I like it so much. French people know how to enjoy life much better than we do. The fact that you have an expression for it (la joie de vivre) is indicative enough of your view about life. Nevertheless, I have heard some teachers here mention that French people are very pessimistic, but for the time being I don’t have such an impression or maybe Bulgarians are much more pessimistic and there is no adjective to describe that level of pessimism.  

However, there is one thing we have in common: terrible public administration. Almost every time I had to deal with a public institution, here or in Bulgaria, I was very much disappointed by the lack of organization. So I felt quite home when I arrived in Poitiers. Luckily, there are exceptions, such as the person in charge of international students at the Faculty of Economy Smile

boyadzhieva.yoana

Back to top Go down

Post by Celia Butel Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:04 pm

Hello everybody,

For the topic of this week, I would like to talk to you about the cultural differences in France. Because in our country there are many people from very different origins. And these differences can create fear and bad ideas to those who don’t understand them. Especially in bad economical conjuncture. That’s why I will talk about the consequences of this fear in the world of politics.
First thing that I can see is the radicalization of the political ideas all around the world. For example, Trump in the USA but also Marine Le Pen in France and the increase of the success of the AfD in Germany. To me, those ideas are worse nowadays because of the recession in Europe. Indeed, when the unemployment rates increase the first who are accused are the foreigners and those who are from a different culture and origins even if they are actually French.
In France, the government have made several politics to ingrate all the cultures into each other. For example, several politics of integration with French language and culture courses and antidiscrimination campaign. But I think that’s not enough. Because the minority is still in the same areas in the city : places with big public housing units. Furthermore, I think that the population who have the biggest trouble integrating are the people who aren’t European. Because in Europe the culture and the global way of life are similar but very different as the way of life in Africa or Asia.
To me the most important thing is to understand other culture, that’s the key to a safer world. Indeed, difference is not dangerous but it will be when we don’t try to understand each other.
Hugs and Kisses,
Celia
Celia Butel
Celia Butel

Back to top Go down

Post by Laura Croegaert Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:45 pm

Obviously, in this post I will focus me on China, particularly on the cultural differences between France and China. Thanks to my Chinese friends, I have managed to understand their way of life which is completely different of ours.

I will begin to speak about fashion in China. In China, I could see several ladies who held a parasol. It’s fashion to have a light skin tone. Because having tanned skin, means that you probably work in the fields, and that you are poor. However, in France having a pale skin, might mean that you are ill. Regarding trendy clothes, Chinese people really like colour that represent joy, happiness, whereas in France, fashion is fairly based on understated colour. At the moment, Chinese fashion Europeanizes more and more. Europe and especially France, is a dream for the Chinese people, who have imitated the west since many years! Laughing Also, perfume is a luxury item for Chinese people.
In France, all people say: “All of the Chinese people look alike”. Chinese people think the same thing. Shocked

In china, people aren’t used to say “how are you?” they don’t ask that question. Instead sometimes, they say “have you eaten?”. If you have eaten, you are fine. When somebody offers you a present, it’s rude to open the present in front of the people who offered…

The most of Chinese cultural habits are opposite of France.

Laura Croegaert

Back to top Go down

Post by DELAITE Carine Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:28 pm

Good evening everybody !

Visiting Barcelona or London, I have noted cultural differences regarding the food or the mealtimes with France. In fact, for example in Barcelona, people eat later than us: for the lunch they eat around 15:00 pm and for the dinner they eat at around 23:00 pm.
As regards London or England in general, it's their breakfast.. It's really strange for French people.The fried egg.. why not but the meat in the morning Shocked ... I really wonder how they do. But, I know this breakfast it's known as the greatest regarding daily requirements Wink. I think, my stomack would explode if I ate as much in the morning ahah.

I apologize but I haven't traveled enough to notice cultural differences and I think it's more interesting when we can "faced" with cultural differences otherwise everybody can talk about the Inuit's, Aboriginal's way of life  Surprised

Thank's, bye !
DELAITE Carine
DELAITE Carine

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbier Victor Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:20 pm

Hi everyone,
As I have no experience personal with another culture that French culture, I can't make comparisons with other countries. However, I can say that cultural difference is a subject at the heart of current societies.
With globalization, immigration has evolved and multiculturalism has grown in many countries. It's the case of France. But many French are against this multiculturalism. They think they lose their national identity in contact with different cultures. I think they are wrong and that it's precisely what makes the wealth of this country.

Barbier Victor

Back to top Go down

Post by Mathilde David Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:29 pm

Hello everyone,
Concerning this new topic, i’m not very inspired… Because i have not lived in two countries, as Victor, or yeliz. But, i can give you my opinion about the cultural differences.

If we were all the sam, we would be robots ! That’s why, the difference is important in everyday life.
When I go to eat to « Asia » (a restaurant), I thank the Chinese for their know-how. Their recipes are very diferent that our french traditional dish, like the TARTIFLETTE
It’s an advatage of the cultural differences, because it allows us, to discover news flavors. Looking at on the web if the chinese really eat dog, i fell on this crazy picture admin !! it is a crazy culinary difference, your dog on a pot.

My inspiration is so low that i prefer speak about the importance of the cultural differences within the marketing strategies of companies, more particulary for the installation of their products overseas.

As i’m an economic students, when i think cultural difference, i think about the international strategie of the company. We can take the exemple of Mcdonald’s.
Last year we saw the difference between two strategies, customisation vs standardisation.
With the globalisation, and the diffusion of the american culture around the world, this company of fast-food, had to adapt its strategy. Because, to develop in India, it was not recomanded to sell a big mac with beef, while in this country, the cow is sacred.
Then, concerning the Asian continent, more turned towards the fishfood , as you say Maxime, we can cite the Ebi-Filet O, with a shrimp wafer
Yeliz, do you know the mc turquo?

2nd discussion topic - Cultural differences Chien-11
Mathilde David
Mathilde David

Back to top Go down

Post by LAURINE BRUN Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:02 pm

Hi everybody,

I'm not really inspired by this topic but I'm going to try to give you my opinion about it.

Since I was child, my father is the most open minded person about differences in general, I never see. I think he represents for my brothers and I, an inspiration to consider lots of subjets with reflexion before having our own opinion.
So, before seeing cultural differences between the people, I see inhabitants of this world.

The political figures who focus their political program on cultural differences are using the politics of fear to increase a feeling of mistrust between cultures. I think it is really dangerous because we have to accept the "other" for living in community with peace into each country.

Every people have origins, more or less faraway, but we have in commun that we descend from the monkey, so keep this in mind guys ! Wink
Whatever where do you come from, what is your religion, your convictions or your skin color, you're human and that's the most important. So, loving your neighbour ! Amen (just kidding).
LAURINE BRUN
LAURINE BRUN

Back to top Go down

Post by Luis Ferreira Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:58 am

Hello Guys,

This is my first post, John be gentle please. I found the cultural differences quite interesting for a country, that makes it richer. Imagine a world where we all would be the same, we all speak the same langage... that would be so insipid as we have Nothing to exchange with each other.

Current policy and medias (these are worst than politicians) is'nt doing it right, they want us to fight each other and they keep us in doubt, mainstreaming events such as riots at " la jugle" at calais like back to back when there's topics than in my opinion deserve more attention. I ai'nt saying than they don't deserve some attention cos' of course they need, still we should think more about how to receive them as they can be beneficial for France and french culture.

In my humble opinion, the problem is that countrys want to promote their own culture and set it worldwide as the "good-one". To illustrate my words, i will quote the 6 God also know as Drake, there's what he says :
"Now I got a house in LA, now I got a bigger pool than Ye
And look man, Ye’s pool is nice, mine's just bigger's what I’m saying"

Let's pretend that French culture is Ye's pool and american culture is drake's pool. There's a permanent rivalry as each one want to have a "bigger one" than the other. Same deal for culture, instead of promoting it and making cultural minorities relevant, we don't care about as we think that our culture is better.

These are my feelings, take it or leave it. Take care guys
Luis Ferreira
Luis Ferreira

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:50 pm

Drake is like the Dalai Lama, man.

We have a largely materialistic lifestyle characterized by a materialistic culture. However, this only provides us with temporary, sensory satisfaction, whereas long-term satisfaction is based not on the senses but on the mind. That’s where real tranquility is to be found. And peace of mind turns out to be a significant factor in our physical health too.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Leo Bruand Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:28 pm

[quote="Luis Ferreira"]

"Now I got a house in LA, now I got a bigger pool than Ye
And look man, Ye’s pool is nice, mine's just bigger's what I’m saying"

Big up Drake!

You totaly right man, one of the most important problem about culture in France is to forget our past as a superpower. Nowadays France need to leave out her pride. Our country need to learn about the others. Globalization enable to consume American Music, Indian food, English soccers in TV (Leicester vs Southampton : 0-0 what a boring match) etc. We tend towards standardization of the culture. We musnt be scared about "grand remplacement" theory or invasion of another countries. We need to face up to the multiculturalism. In my opinion its the best things in our era.
Leo Bruand
Leo Bruand

Back to top Go down

Post by BERTHO Manon Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:36 pm

hi !
I think that we have the chance to be in a student city where there are many different culutures. It's important to meet various inhabitants of several countries, that open us spirit. Since I live in poitiers I was able to meet people coming from various countries, and it's interesting and funny to compare our cultures.
We compare the food. Senegalese friends and Mauritian invited us to have dinner at their home with friends, we were able to taste dishes of their countries. And it was very spicy.
They tell us their traditions, their religions, I find that that allows to lower some barriers.

BERTHO Manon

Back to top Go down

Post by Lauriane BELLOY Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:25 pm

Hello everybody !

I think that cultural differences within a country is a very important asset to live together.
Cultural differences can be placed at different spatial scales, these differences can be international but also regional. At international level we have different cultures because we don't have the same lifestyle, not the same approach of the life, a different language and different habits but there are also regional differences that can be as language differences and different customs between two regions of a country. Politics has often tried to overlook these differences to try to create a united people as with "l'ordonnance de Villers-Cotterêts" in 1539 when the French became the national language. There are also cultural differences from family to another as Pierre Bourdieu with different "cultural capital" from one person to another, which can lead to inequalites especially in school. The policy role should be to ensure that it didn't the inequality between people of different culture. Culture differences in a country is a force, trying to unify the people of a country by trying to impose on culture is not effective because it would not make that to oppose more and more people to each other.

Lauriane BELLOY

Back to top Go down

Post by Camille Ayrault Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:37 pm

Hi !
I talk about my experience with the people of Birmingham. People didn't stress. When the bus is lat, for exemple, nobody shouts. In France, when the train is late, everybody excited. In London, to come back to Birmingham, the bus was one hour to lare, but everybody say "ok, we return to sit".
Birmingham is a cosmopolitan city. I think the people of Birmingham is less racist. African, Indian, English, everybody leave together. I thing, the seen on the muslim, for example, is not the same that is France. In United Kingdom, church build front of the mosque. I link this !

Camille Ayrault

Back to top Go down

2nd discussion topic - Cultural differences Empty Cultural differences

Post by Margot Baudoin Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:15 pm

Hi everybody,

I don't know what to say because I haven't had the chance yet to face another culture ....
But I think that in France we are very pessimistic. We are always complaining about our little problems of the everyday life but I think we aren't the most unlucky in the World. And, for me we are criticizing too much : teachers, boss, colleagues, people in the street, parents, “friends “ ...
Then, we are'nt welcoming with other people.
In fact we can see at college, they are on the one hand the Erasmus Student and on the other hand the local students. Other example, in the campaign, many international people buy farms because French don't succeed in manage theses lands, and they say that “ they come to steal our farms” and they don't welcome them, while they have very interesting things to learn us.

So I think we have to be more relaxed, and some people may be look around him, because we will all die one day, so much up to discover things as it's possible Smile

Margot Baudoin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next