UP English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Nous sommes Charlie" ?

+14
Florence M.
Mathieu Rose
Cecile ZURETTI
Marvin_Menou
Lu YUAN
Ingridb
Anastasia Garros
Lea METIFET
Emma Failly
Cadoret solene
Mathilde Vienne
MarineFoucat
Emmanuelle Darthout
Admin
18 posters
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Go down

"Nous sommes Charlie" ? Empty "Nous sommes Charlie" ?

Post by Admin Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:29 pm

Okay we'll start with a subject that you all must have an opinion on.

Are we all Charlie? What does it mean to you? What short term and long term effects do you think these events will have on France and the people of the world?
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

"Nous sommes Charlie" ? Empty Re: "Nous sommes Charlie" ?

Post by Emmanuelle Darthout Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:30 pm

I agree with the slogan "We are all Charlie" because Charlie represents the freedom of expression. Everyone has the right to express his opinion and makes its voice heard.
The weekly lampoons various topics (political, economic, religious), it's written by humorists who express THEIR opinions.Killing for drawings is not acceptable. If you do not agree with these satirical visions, there are other ways to be heard. This slogan reminds at everyone that this was only drawings and other means of expression should be preferred to express his views.

These acts have had and will have an impact. The global movement of solidarity in the tomorrows of the attacks are the proof.
For France , I think that new measures will be set up, surveillance and control of suspects will be larger and more advanced .
At the global level, I'm not sure that new laws will be make for the long term, attacks took place in France and other countries may feel less concerned or so their protection measures are already more important than ours.

But the consciences were awakened and that day will be remembered.

Emmanuelle Darthout

Back to top Go down

Post by MarineFoucat Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:30 pm

These terrible events of 2015 beginning get a huge emotional, social and political impact in France and worldwide.

First, because terrorists, by killing Charlie Hebdo staff, touched precious French values: free speech and freedom of expression. It seems foolish to kill for satiric drawings, even if they deal with religion (to recall, Charlie Hebdo enjoyed and still enjoys laughing about every religion and not only about Mahomet’s one). That’s why millions of French people (and many other nationalities) came out in the streets to state loud and clear: “Je suis Charlie”. This sentence is more than a simple slogan. It’s a rallying cry in favour of solidarity and unity. Not only for Charlie Hebdo’s journalists but for every person who dare to say out loud what people are thinking quietly.

But, is that really Charlie Hebdo’s spirit? Singing La Marseillaise during gatherings is the opposite of their codes, as well as the symbolism of those same gatherings - which could generate a satiric drawing from Cabu. The saddest thing about this tragic story is that everyone tried and will try to take advantage of it: Republic to reunite society, extreme right to ask death penalty (by encouraging amalgam by passing) and of course, commercial side... “Je suis Charlie” tee shirts, pins... What’s next? Underwear?? Pathetic!

But the funniest point in this drama was to see, during the republican walk, leaders from countries who sanction freedom of expression... To name a few, we could see in the procession, Amhet Davutoglu, Prime Minister of Turkey which holds in jail 70 journalists and intellectuals suspected about collusion with Kurdish rebels. Moreover, Jordan King and Queen, who ordered the closure of nearly 300 websites. But, the Palme d'Or of hypocrisy comes back to Saudi Arabia and his Foreign Affairs Minister, while walking in Paris streets, Raif Badawi, a blogger, was whipping for criticizing Islam and Saudi regime.

So, yes I think “we are all Charlie” because the horror of the events made us felt so deeply injured at first and then, raised and gathered us. However, from now, people have to be careful with amalgam, opposite speech and abuse... And after emotion, now France wants to see actions.

Furthermore, don’t forget other persons dead in these tragic attacks: policemen, service agent and Hyper casher’s customers...

MarineFoucat

Back to top Go down

Post by Mathilde Vienne Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:52 pm

"We are Charlie" is a fact, each of us was hurt, concerned, affected, offended ... Defending this message is to defend the values of our country and to fight for freedom of expression.

First, the tragedy has touched and shocked the whole of France but also worldwide. We live in a country where freedom of expression is a key value, and this is what makes our country strong. Affect these values, causes dramatic consequences. These events have an impact both at the political, social and human level and that's why they have become so important.

Killing for drawing is shocking, absurd, disgusting but especially in our time !!

That’s why France has been solidary, millions of people gathered around the cause, to defend freedom of expression, both strangers, celebrities and politicians. Each of us, walked to honor the many victims, and I think it was our duty to come together and support this cause, not to yield to terror, but to face it, and show our determination to defend our values. But, I also agree with what Marine says « the funniest point in this drama was to see, during the republican walk, leaders from countries who sanction freedom of expression... »
However, this gathering of millions of people has shown how France was also a victim of these tragedies, especially as we fight to keep our rights. We must continue to speak freely, and continue to do what Charb would have wanted.

Following these events, many amalgam appeared, but we must not confuse everything : The killers are primarily terrorists and no matter their religion !!
These events, in my opinion, will lead to long-term changes in the country's security measures, more frequent checks, more vigilance in generally. In all cases, they strengthened the spirit of solidarity and unity in the country.

The slogan "We Are Charlie" is more than just a slogan, it’s a strong message with many meanings, which in my opinion, affects everyone. "We are Charlie" means "I am for freedom of expression", "I am for Charlie Hebdo", "I'm French and I defend the values of my country", "I mourning for all victims," so yes, "we are Charlie."

A message that I hope will not stop there, and will continue to exist for a long time.

Mathilde Vienne

Back to top Go down

"Nous sommes Charlie" ? Empty " Je suis Charlie"

Post by Cadoret solene Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:58 pm

I agree with the slogan “We are all Charlie” too.

This slogan reflects freedom and solidarity. I think that it is important to remain united during these tragic events. The reaction of France was very good because it shows that when we are together we are stronger. These events seem to change things in France and in the world as well.

However, I find outrageous that celebrity or famous people use this kind of event to improve their notoriety and reputation.
I also find disrespectful when some people want to make money so that people still suffer.
Indeed, there are some people who were created an application. This application is used to indicate on a map where are people supporting “We are all Charlie”. Today, it is the third application the most downloaded.
I find pathetic people who think of themselves before thinking of the families of the killed and others.

Cadoret solene

Back to top Go down

"Nous sommes Charlie" ? Empty I am Charlie

Post by Emma Failly Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:01 pm

I think events like this shouldn’t happen. We are in a land where humans live isn’t it? So in fact, we are human, not robots, we feel things, and we live in affects.
I ask myself, how can we get there? We all feel some hate but how can derive so much and become so serious? In the end, some human are not as human as that. Crying or Very sad

Yes I feel concerned about it and I feel Charlie because I put myself in the place of these artists or families and then I 'm French, I feel French! But I am divided on some points.
Our society gives us the chance to express ourselves, so take this opportunity to express what we think without fear of reprisals. We all like to express our opinion. So we have to do or say what we want to prove what our country is!

So it is good that all people of France met for this cause unfortunately, but we have shown that we can be welded, supportive, loving and conscience.
However, I find that the government doesn’t protect us enough, on Charlie Weekly; their designs were sometimes provocative (which is often the goal of a caricature).
In fact they made for everyone, all religions, but we know that religion is a sensitive topic, it does not always make them laugh, and it affects people directly, I mean a person who are simply practicing and doesn’t cause for concern to anyone.

They too suffer from this situation, amalgams and prejudices. They are not terrorists, we must not mix everything, they just like god.
So I think the government knew that such a thing would happen one day, and he should establish rules, make a limit not to cross in order to limit any attack because what happens these people try to pass the act.

And it's not because I think that, it’s not means that I don’t show my support to this newspaper, France and its victims. I just wish that this country finds the serenity and it doesn’t deserve this. People around the world have been affected by this attack, it scored all minds!

Emma Failly

Back to top Go down

"Nous sommes Charlie" ? Empty #je suis citoyenne

Post by Emilie.T Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:48 pm

After and before the national march I’ve listened to different views of people for or against the phenomenon # Je suis Charlie.
Before and after
I still decided to march in Paris on January 11th. I walked from the Opéra to la place de la Republic feeling more united than ever with the citizens of my country. I have never seen in all my life so many different people gathered in one place. After living this one time experience and watching the news I knew that it was a turning point in history.
I understand that for some people the slogan #je suis Charlie meant that we defended the weekly newspaper and that we agreed with the content. I personally have never bought “Charlie Hebdo” and surely a lot of the people present that day had not either,but I knew that it was a satirical newspaper defending free speech.
The same day before going to the march, I read an interview of Luz a cartoonist who knew personally the victims saying that they would not approve of this attitude of symbolizing the news paper and stated that “Charlie fights against symbolism”. If I went this day it’s because I remembered that free speech is a right that people fought for us to have it.
In some countries this right doesn’t exist and I feel grateful that it does in France. I’m against putting limits to free speech because in this case where is the line and who will decide what can or can’t be said. Many times I’ve heard horrible speeches defending terrible causes I don’t agree with. But it’s not because we banned them or punished the people spreading the message that it will stop existing.
The best weapon against stupidity is by using our voices and showing that we care and fight for what we think is the right cause. I consider the march in France a willingness to engage in a debate about our society and be involved with what’s happening. And it means to stop hiding behind politicians blaming them for all the bad because the real people with power are the citizens, but it’s easier to tell ourselves that is not true.
I will finish with a quote of Edmund Burk “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good man to do nothing”

Emilie.T

Back to top Go down

"Nous sommes Charlie" ? Empty Je suis Charlie

Post by Lydie Gentric Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:46 pm

In my opinion, the slogan "je suis Charlie" is federative, gathering peoples for the freedom. A strong will to show our support and our indignation, to show that we do not accept the violence of this situation. The freedom of speech is an important pillar for our societies, it’s a human right. In a democratic country, the freedom of media allows journalists to denounce abuses to avoid the oppression of peoples, brings out some societal problems, helps to understand our environment, to reflect about all topics, sometimes delicate like religion or politics. That is why it's really crucial to protect it, so yes, i’m Charlie.

At the same time, this polemic about "je ne suis pas charlie" raise many question. Some are not Charlie because they don't accept the Charlie Hebdo's editorial line, because of their religious ideals or else. This satirical's hebdo dare what others don't. Can we laugh about everything? Where is the limit? And many others questions…There will always differences of opinion about this topic. But the violence is absolutely not the answer and this kind of journalists are really important for our societies, they are independent, they open the debate, they involve us to reflect, they raise awareness on societal issues which concern all of us.

I also was shocked to see this recuperation by some politicians, like Petro Porochenko, the ukrainian president, present during the Republican walk who don't care about freedom in their own countries. While they abuse of their power to oppress their own peoples, they dared to come at a walk for the freedom. And also some people on social media who said about the drama « well done » what kind of people are they? It's outrageous, they should be sentenced.

Politicians will develop sustainable measures to strengthening the fight against terrorism, but the surveillance musn't be abusive.
Politicians also have to develop actions to inform and to educate people against the ignorance which creates amalgams and confusions.
This drama also affected other countries because terrorism concerns all of us and reminds us bad memories like the twin towers's drama. They certainly will strengthen their security.

Lydie Gentric

Back to top Go down

Post by Lea METIFET Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:45 am

This is a very sensitive subject that affected everybody in this world. We could see that by numerous marks of affection of all continents. I think that we are all Charlie and we all have to compete in order to keep our expression right. Be Charlie means that we feel French, we want to express ourselves without feeling fear, and want to fight against terrorism! After Charlie Hebdo attack, France was united as never. On Sunday the 11th, during the Republican walk, there was millions of people in the street to support victims and say NO to terrorism. This meeting hasn’t been happened since many years.

There are other victims in this attack: Muslims. A lot of people don’t differentiate a Muslim from a terrorist. An Islamic is not an Islamist! That’s why, mosques were destroyed in France, and it can’t be acceptable. I saw some Muslims that were interviewed and they were saying that they decided to live in France because life conditions are better. More other, we have more rights in France. They were very affected by the caricature of The Prophet, but they understand that we have an expression right. They were shocked about the attack, and told that these “mans” (if we can call them like that) were not humans and by saying “Allah Akbar” they give a strong negative image of Muslims. In the Koran, Allah is not saying that we have to punish people for expression.

Governments should take strong measures for people who are doing the Djihad, in order to reduce attack risk. I hope that mind of French people will stay as they were these days: united.

To conclude my comment, I just want to say that Be Charlie means Be Free.

Lea METIFET

Back to top Go down

Post by Anastasia Garros Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:28 pm

2015 has started with such a horrendous and dreadful event.

Even if I disagree with Charlie Hebdo’s caricatures about religion, because I think religion is a sacred topic, we must respect everybody’s religion and avoid criticisms and caricatures, it’s not an excuse to kill these persons. Attacking Charlie Hebdo is attacking freedom of speech of each country, of each of us. We live in a Republic and not in a dictatorship, liberty is one of France’s pillars and we can’t and shouldn’t let evil-minded fellows sully it and muzzle us.

Journalists were killed as well as policemen and citizens like you and me. People were murdered because they express their opinion, they defended France and have another religious belief. But in what century are we all living?  Among so much savagery and intolerance I have the feeling we are making a great leap… backwards.

These kinds of tragic events trigger panic, fear and create amalgams. All this only feeds hatred and wrath. Politicians take advantage of the fact that the French people cries out for revenge and I think it’s such a regrettable, despicable and outrageous behaviour. While France is torn apart and weakened, politicians can’t stop their argument for a while (example: PS vs Front National). This event has even allowed Nicolas Sarkozy to make his comeback smoothly, now he is again on all channels, it is so pathetic.

To conclude, today, France is not the only victim, the whole world has been shaken. We are all Charlie. The world has been in turmoil and tensions are rising crescendo, it’s so worrying…

Anastasia Garros

Back to top Go down

Post by Ingridb Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:32 pm

(I already read the other comments so I am going to try not to say the same thing)

Charlie …   It is sad and pathetic to think that we needed a horrible event to feel united..

We passed from 6 till 7 January of a simple first name little used in France in a big gathering, an ideology, a symbol of freedom, of freedom of the press, of France, around this simple word : CHARLIE.

Maybe that I am wrong… but this slogan “Je suis Charlie”,  if I can call that this way, reminds me sadly this quotation « Ich bin ein Berliner »speech by U.S. President John F. Kennedy in West Berlin in 1963 for to give support to the Germans. At the time of the facts, the USA and the URSS were in Cold War. This quotation allowed to show the support of the country for the Berliners but it did not change the situation.
Today, We are evolved. However we see again more stupid and murderers behaviours . Some people are dangerous. They are perverting and distorting beliefs to justify their murderous ideology.
Besides being unjust and wrong, this attitude is extremely dangerous.  It’s our sense of justice, our humor, our humanity  who make us human, humble,understanding and generous. Without that,  we are only animals, or less.

Yes January 11 I participated to the National march to Support Charlie Hebdo Magazine in Angoulême I think organized walks is a good way of attracting attention.Yes, I was pleased to see many people and I can say that whatever religion, origin, age, sex … we were here. We were a strong and united country. A motley France but mobilized for a good reason.

But, although I’m saying all this, i can not tell really “Je suis Charlie” too loudly because i’m not like Charlie Hebdo.
I've not always the courage to dare to say out loud what people or me are thinking. I’m French. A French girl who don’t have any problems of racism or religion. But I’m afraid of confusion,  that my words are badly interpreted. I’m like majority of French people. We do not dare say what we think. We are creating ourselves this confusion between religion, terrorists, islam, foreigners … It has to stop. We have to say stop. Not mix everything.

“Je suis Charlie” if that means that I support the freedom of expression and more, satirical newspaper. I think it’s all a generation who will shocked by these events for its entiere life. We doesn’t forget the victims and the reasons of  their death.

Every terrorist attack has consequences and nobody can imagine the future. I hope that today,  tomorrow and the day after tomorrow … in 10 years, people will have always this pride, this sense of community like with the “Je suis Charlie” and not feelings of uncertainty and unsecurity like at the present time.
I’m not sure of what I say .. I dream maybe.  For the rest of our life, we should be all "Charlie".

Ingridb

Back to top Go down

"Nous sommes Charlie" ? Empty Je suis charlie, je suis aussi YUAN Lu

Post by Lu YUAN Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:15 pm

After this terrible event, “ je suis Charlie” became a symbol of the pursuit of freedom of expression. We don’t have a clear definition of freedom, each person has their own point of view: the magazine thinks that criticize others religion is freedom, the terrorists think the people who against their gods are evils, and so on. Of course, I can not absolutely clear that in this event who is right in the end, but I think that freedom of speech should be based on respect for others, and I strongly oppose the violence, oppose the hurt of innocent people. The people who devout Islam are innocent, they have their own beliefs, they didn’t hurt anyone, they shouldn’t be ironic; the people who were kidnapped and who were hurt in the event are innocent, they just live a ordinary life, and they didn’t slander others religious; in my opinion, in this event, the most commendable person are the polices who have been investigated the terrorists, they finally caught the vicious terrorists through unremitting efforts and give us a stability city.

In my opinion, when we pursuit the freedom, we must also know how to respect others, respect the life and the peace, and so on. There is no absolute freedom in this world and the harm of innocent people is absolutely forbidden. So, “Je suis charlie, je suis aussi YUAN Lu”. Only after I respect the others, other people will respect me, finally we all have a real freedom. “Je suis charlie”, because I am against violence, I have a responsibility to defend my freedom; “je suis YUAN Lu”, because I’m who I am, everyone is different, I have an obligation to respect the difference and respect the other.

After this event, the terrorists threatened that they will have more actions in other countries and regions; In France, the conflict between religious and ethnics are worsened. Since we all pursue the freedom and the peace, why not try we best to do our own things first, then love and understand the others ?

Lu YUAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Marvin_Menou Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:54 pm

« Je suis charlie ». Yes we are Charlie but what’s next?

This horrific event triggered something extraordinary all around our country. I couldn’t have imagined such a feeling of unity. I watched the walk in Paris on TV and was really proud to be French.
The event was broadcasted all over the world given the presence of world leaders. I also regret the presence of some of them who do not even protect freedom of expression and persecute journalists.
From this day, I will remember the moment when the French president comforts Patrick Pelloux. I felt the emotion of this man. He is a Charlie Hebdo columnist but also works as a doctor. He found his friends dead in the Charlie Hebdo premises. Later on, he was brave enough to talk on TV and his disarray affected everyone.
Charlie Hebdo journalists were aware of this continuous threat but they couldn’t believe that one day, 2 gunmen would enter in their premises shouting them, having the feeling of doing a “duty”. “We have killed Charlie Hebdo” they said. What happened the following days has shown the contrary, it was like a challenge and motivated the whole country.

Shortly after, decisions were taken by our government to show that the struggle against terrorism remains a priority.
A lot of work has to be done in our schools. Teachers will be trained in order to be able to talk about “laicité” so that every student could understand what this word represents. Unfortunately I’m a bit pessimistic since internet is faster than school. Some students believe more on what they see on the internet that what they heard at school. Back to August, I remember the story of a girl aged 16 arrested at an airport in Nice, ready to join Syria. Like other people of her age, she has been radicalized on the internet. That is one of the limits of such a tool. Where is the control? For example, I do believe that experts must intervene especially in the suburban areas to help people understand what “laicité” is.

Yesterday, when walking on the street, at a kiosk I saw this sentence “Continuons le combat!” (Carry on the fight!) on the front page of a weekly magazine. Here is what we all need to do.

Marvin_Menou

Back to top Go down

"Nous sommes Charlie" ? Empty Je suis Charlie

Post by Cecile ZURETTI Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:26 pm

We can all agree that 2015 knew a very bad beginning.

I think that whatever our religion is, we’ve all been hurt by what happened, even if we didn’t know personally Cabu, Wolinski, Tignous, Charb, and the other people who have been murdered. We can agree or disagree with them and like or dislike their drawings, but doing something so awful isn’t a solution.

This act of terrorism affected deeply a lot of people, French or not. Indeed, we can see for instance that a lot of profile pictures have been changed on Facebook, with the message “Je suis Charlie”. Everybody’s got his own way to show his compassion, some people walked in the streets, some others have observed a minute of silence, some bloggers stopped writing frivolous articles for a few days, some politicians came to France to show their support…

Actually, those terrorists didn’t kill Charlie Hebdo. Wanting to stop the freedom of expression, they made it stronger; moreover killing the messenger doesn’t change the message. Charlie Hebdo was already well-known, but the last newspaper released knew a success never seen before.

To conclude, I think that French people will need quite a moment to recover from these acts, and they’ll never forget about it. For me, “Je suis Charlie” means that we are not ready to let our freedom of expression go.

Cecile ZURETTI

Back to top Go down

Post by Mathieu Rose Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:52 pm

"I am Charlie" is how 2015 has begun. Sad news which chocked all France but the whole world too.

This barbaric act unforgivable and it is painful to see men “solve” their problems with violence. The attack hit the freedom of expression and caused numerous victims: journalists, civilians and cops.

However, I disagreed with people who run to buy the after attack "Charlie hebdo”. I am sure many of them didn’t know this newspaper before and felt the obligation to buy it just for the “buzz”.
In addition, mass media have made the event a fad; dealing with Charlie for an entire week then change topics like nothing was happened.

So my opinion remains mixed on the subject.

Mathieu Rose

Back to top Go down

"Nous sommes Charlie" ? Empty I am French, I am Freedom.

Post by Florence M. Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:23 pm

Don't get me wrong but "Je ne suis pas Charlie". I just want to say : I am French, I am Freedom, I am my country.

I won't do a huge comment because we talked enough about this topic.

Because I'm not Charlie doesn't mean I don't care about the recent events. Even if I disagreed with Charlie and their cartoons, I'm sad and mad of what happened on the 7th of January, they didn't deserve such an awful end because they're drawing pictures for a newspaper.

However, it's such a pity to wait for a tragedy and to see people together in order defend our liberty and our values.  
How many people say : I am a policeman ? When we know policemen are daily insulted by those same persons. How many people say: I am Muslim ? When we know Muslims are discriminated by those same persons who make amalgamations between Muslims and Terrorists.

How many people say: I am Charlie ? When we know many of them didn't know this newspaper one week before.

Yes, I understood "I am Charlie" means Freedom of expression. But why we don't just call it by his proper name ? FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION.

That's such an hypocrisy situation, especially when our French president and other presidents walked down in the streets, together, holding their hands. Many presidents from countries where freedom of expression doesn't exist.

I don't need to go down in the streets or put a "Je Suis Charlie" profile picture on Facebook to respect my country and to defend our Liberty in general. It should be a natural thing as a French citizen.

I just want to finish by : Liberté,Egalité,Fraternité

Florence M.

Back to top Go down

"Nous sommes Charlie" ? Empty Of course #wearecharlie but...

Post by Elodie Gautreau Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:47 pm

I think everybody should be Charlie. In France it's a chance, a precious right to can say, draw or sing what we think. But The freedom stop when someone is hurt. We have to be carefull to not injury somebody.
We should know that Charlie Hebdo had Financial problems and it's too sad to note we need this kind of tragically event to be generous and to be solidary. Google gave 250 000 € to develop the last newpaper. But the good think is to note that everybody realised that's an precious right, that ur Country is beautiful, that her system is good and that policemen are not working only to anoy us, they are here to protect us.
Of course we are Charlie because we can use the right of expression, but we have to be carefull, religion is a delicate subject.
If in France securalism is a principle; in others countries this could be an unknown subject where The religion is a way of life.

And if a would like to say that i think religion is ridiculous, i could be procecuted and judged ; hurting religion.
So we are charlie by the think, not only by money or sadness.

Elodie Gautreau

Back to top Go down

Post by Salma Elassali Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:27 am

I want to say, I'm against any act of terrorism or violence, we can’t kill somebody just because we don’t share the same idea. The drama that France lived after the attack of Charlie’s Hebdo is a tragedy, especially for the families of the victims, and nothing can justify this crime.

The satirical newspaper represents today for many people freedom of expression, a freedom that consists at making fun and ridiculing everything. Personally I'll never agree with the ideology of this newspaper because I think, laughing at misfortunes of the others, criticizing religions without knowing them and ridiculing deaths is just immoral. Don’t forget that our freedom stops when it encroaches on the others. Criticisms are important because they push us to reflect in condition provided that they bring and add some values for the community.

I think we cannot laugh at all, can you support to be ridiculed and criticized in front of all the planet to make the others laugh? Is that what you call freedom of expression? Isn't it a provocation in some extent?

The attack of Charlie Hebdo is simply a new massacre added to a long list of other massacres that the world knew before, but each one of us decided to give it a meaning that will make him feel better and in the same time it will protect his interests.

Thousands of civilians die every day on their own territories, because other governments decided to go there, make a new law, without asking for their agreements, not just that but also murdering some of them to free the way. And here we are asking why this people became violent! If this isn't terrorism, what can we call it then?
Today we collect the results of violence that the capitalist system cultivates for a long time with all the wars and violence used to gain power and to realize the ambitions of the supremacy.

So, I choose not to be Charlie because in my opinion freedom of expression means more than a simple slogan and more than a simple manipulation that our medias try to make.

Salma Elassali

Back to top Go down

"Nous sommes Charlie" ? Empty Tolerance above all

Post by Diana Leon Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:32 pm

In my opinion, the slaughter of journalists, policemen and other citizens in January 2015 is an act of terrorism and not a defence of religious thoughts.
I would really like to understand how much damage a caricature can cause to awake the desire to kill another human being. But I can’t.  For me, it’s something irrational that cannot be justified on behalf of a religion. This raid shows a fundamentalist concept: to spread fear and panic among those who don’t think like them (the attackers).
As a journalist I was touched by this news. I’m Peruvian and my country has already experienced this kind of horror. Nevertheless, I don’t sympathize with the editorial line of Charlie Hebdo, but I respect it. I think that you can criticize any subject with arguments and that you don’t need to be offensive.
Furthermore, I support freedom of speech and I believe that the phrase “I am Charlie” resumes an historical moment: when people went to the streets to say no to brutality and terrorism. To me, that phrase is beyond any endorsement with the satirical magazine.
To sum up, from my point of view you have to fight ideas with ideas, not with weapons.

Diana Leon

Back to top Go down

"Nous sommes Charlie" ? Empty Charlie

Post by Jérémy Elias Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:48 pm

I guess there are both positive and negative aspects in Charlie's events and national and international solidarity shows. I mean of course it feels quite good to see that people are still able to show some empathy and solidarity when something awfull happens. Numerous minutes of silence and commemorative marches and rassemblements were signs that people have really been affected by this dark even, just as millions social media réactions.

Moreover, it even inspired reactions and mobilisations from various celebrities and influencial personalities from all around the world. So on the one hand I am sure it deeply hurted some people but on the other hand, I feel like some other are not really regretting Charlie's events.
I explain, the first thing I don't feel comfortable with is the way of showing empathy. I mean, if you want to go to a commemorative meeting, to buy the special issue or to draw something satiric and to share it with your contacts then, I think it's fine, it looks like a good way to "show" your support.
On the opposite, I am not certain that all the persons that exposed their pain on social media (by posting " I am Charlie" for example) were truely affected by the event; especially influential personnalities that could have been showed up by the newspaper. But the worst thing for me is the commercial issue that the tragic event took some time, for example when it is re-used by another newspaper to make the most of the opportunity (in this case a tragedy) to increase their sale.

To conclude, I think that quite everything is buzz today, what I want to underlined is that it benefits some people and organisations to spread the information. So for me, even if it's a tragedy and quite a shame, it won't "make history" just as 11th September made it for instance. I truely think that the main effect will be more mistrust of muslim people ( not specially extremists), an increase of stereotypes and discrimination and rise of Front National.

Jérémy Elias

Back to top Go down

"Nous sommes Charlie" ? Empty " We are Charlie " of course but

Post by Mathilde Lehmann Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:41 pm

I agree with the ideas defended by the slogan " We are Charlie ", which has invades the media and which appeared on all the mouths after the events which tragically stood out this beginning of the year. We can compare it with famous "Ich bin ein Berliner" (I am a Berliner), because we are from this perspective of defenses of the liberties. Here with the slogan " We are Charlie ", in this particular case we speak about the freedom of the media and about the freedom of speech, which are fundamental rights in France and in the countries which advocate personal freedoms and equality.
Even if I find that the messages of support and the tributes are justifiable and normal (on the social networks and in the media) in this so particular situation. The media have had a big influence on the population, what caused an unpublished impulse of solidarity worldwide. But it seems to me that the media also gave too much importance at this events, by leaving free court with diverse theories silly as that of the plot or with interpretations more or less logical. What can give rise to stigmatization, feeling of fear and insecurity at numerous people, with the implementation of the "plan vigipirate" .
I think now the French people want of concrete and protection on behalf of the politicians.

Mathilde Lehmann

Back to top Go down

"Nous sommes Charlie" ? Empty #JESUISCHARLIE

Post by Flora Clement Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:16 pm

For me, the attack of Charlie Hebdo is similar to the attack of the 11th of September. How to sum up this event in one word? : “tragic”. It's sad to realize how us, as human, we can be welded, but only when a drama takes place. That in this conditions we are all equal, citizens, politicians and celebrities. I would just like to share my opinion in a few words on this barbaric act, shocking and violent.
Following the attack on Charlie Hebdo, I still do not understand how it is possible to kill for a simple caricature, for a drawing! Why they decided to act without warning? Communicate would it not have been better...? Human folly.

But why Charlie after he has this terrible attack decided to make a caricature of Mohammed? I call this act of irresponsible! They wished to say clearly that nothing will change, and that freedom of expression is primarily part of the ideology of our beloved France... However, for me, they would rather not answer.
Why? Result: The “front page” of Charlie Hebdo Mohammed representing the tears in his eyes and holding a sign "I'm Charlie" has caused many protests worldwide in Muslim countries since its publication on the 14th of January. "Down Charlie Hebdo!" "Death to France!" chanted on Friday on 23rd of January, thousands of demonstrators gathered once again in major cities of Pakistan, Afghanistan and Iran, or in Africa to protest against the last front page of Charlie Hebdo. It is their choice; I think we should respect it. We do not have the same humor... They do not understand the French cartoons and certainly evil is but I think Charlie should have acted more intelligently... Because for me, as a proverb dictates: “silence is the greatest contempt” I might add that we must not confuse religion and terrorism.

Moreover it is entirely revolting to see some people want to try to trademark "I am Charlie" to enjoy the situation to enrich themselves. You have to be inhuman to do that. But for me it was a too publicized event for my taste because we are a European country, and developed... But we tend to forget that evil is not only in France but also in countries and underdeveloped continent like Africa ; where an attack in Nigeria did 19 dead the 10th of January 2015, but no one took action to them !
Finally, today, freedom of expression is a truth... that I defined as fragile and mortal. I'm Charlie, but the respect of one and the other is for me above all the most important.

Flora Clement

Back to top Go down

Post by CINDYLEFEVRE Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:52 pm

I feel so sad and sorry about all the losses our country have known. It's terrible but this event was a way to realize that freedom is a very delicate thing. Freedom is a struggle of everyday, and it's such a pity that the country and in general the entire world realize this point only with this kind of dramas.
Being Charlie is defending the freedom of expressing himself, the power of laughting about everything even the religions and politics.
Fighting words and drawings with blood and weapons is such a shame ! and nothing can explain that !
Killing people in the name of god is a paradox. I don't understand why people can trust that they will be in heaven if they commit crimes ! It's insane !
To conclude, I think that now France understand the importance of being patriotic, and the country will apply some measures to better learn to people how to be a good Citizen and how to protect our freedom of expression. I hope that the government will reinforce the sanctions as in Portugal and Germany.
I'm proud of saying, yes "I am Charlie".

CINDYLEFEVRE

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down