UP English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weekly Autonomous Work

+27
Clarance de Villiers
Malek.benslimane
Ravahiti
noemie_resclause
Caroline Richard
Pauline Maurisset
Marina Guillon
calberti
Isaure Ayrault-Roy
Léa Aupetit
Léa ABREU
Babis Papageorgiou
Chloé Gailledrat
iman ghouzi
Cédric Bourgeois
sophie_rys
Damaye Alexis
Manon Saroul
Amelie Trarieux
Diana Gashi 1
Emeline Giffard
Meghane Cren
Jordan Besson
ELISANGELA
Caroline Lemoigne
Clothilde Pluchart
Admin
31 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Weekly Autonomous Work - Page 3 Empty Re: Weekly Autonomous Work

Post by Ravahiti Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:35 pm

Hello everybody!

I choose a subject of « Innovation: the food industry university of Leeds ».
The first problematic of the subject is to know what is the greatest food innovation.
Indeed, it’s a food for the future with the food industry because she seems to be faster to prepare and the people have less time for meal preparation.

From another point of view, it's so sad because cooking with family is a fun activity that tightens family ties.

In this article, the cold chain is very important with the company M&S. Do not forget to take into account certain variables in the choice of industry foods. For example, the impact of sustainability and health issues, the development of new sciences and the changing tasts and preferences of consumers.

It’s all for me thank you Smile

Ravahiti

Birthday : 1996-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Malek.benslimane Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:57 pm

Who would have thought it that the "Bloody Mary" cocktail was named after the queen Mary of the Tudors ? Or that Shakespeare was a true businessman who had as an ambition to make money out of his writings by entering the Tudors court of sovereign? I did ! After starting a course about the Tudors dynasty two weeks ago (way before subscribing to the forum  ).
I really learned a lot from this course. Now I know, for example, that the modern Great Britain take roots in the era of the Tudors, who had made very important decisions then, like broking from the Vatican and founding the Church of England which symbolised the national identity and the sovereignty. Also, the Tudors were the founders of the future state administration, the secret services and the parliament. During the Tudors era, the actual borders of GB were already drawn. The empire started since then exploring the world and making trade relationships thank to Henry VIII, the founder of the English navy and which led to the future British colonial empire. Adding to this, the British cultural renaissance, that was initiated by the Tudors and which continues to have influences on the English modern society and even on the whole world. What Great dynasty that was !
I really appreciated learning about the Tudors through this course. Especially because I have a lot of interest in history. Now, if you are not big fans of reading you still can watch one of the many movies or tv shows made on this topic which will make a funniest way to discover it.
You all had chosen great topics by the way Smile Well done guys !
Malek.benslimane
Malek.benslimane

Back to top Go down

Post by Babis Papageorgiou Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:50 pm

Hello everyone! I’m back again!

Although the loss of interest that all of you showed (including the cynic reaction of John), guess what? I’m not going to change subject!
Well I changed site but not theme, so this week I’m going to speak about the Big Bang theory, in order to put some philosophic interest inside this useless forum, ahah. Twisted Evil
Not the American series you all smart out there. About the theory that change everything in Science and in Universe as we know it.

First of all, Big Bang is the cosmologic theory about the creation of the Universe before 13,8 billion years, through a big explosion in extremely hot and compact circumstances (a very high-density and high-temperature state).

Knowing that the universe expand and the galaxies are more and more eliminated between them, the most acceptable theory about the creation of Cosmos in the scientific community is based on the first atom.
The total mass of the universe was inside this atom, before timespace existed. From the Big Bang this atom exploded and from his matter the galaxies and stars were born.

In the scientific centre ‘Cern’ they were trying for years to create the perfect circumstances, in which the first atom existed. This atom also called ‘particle of God’.

Big Bang has become one of the liveliest areas in the discourse between science and religion. What do you believe about the creation of everything ?

P.S. I’ve tried to simplify the terms and to explain in a language that is readable and comprehensable.

Feel free to answer my question. We don't judge people here. Only the religious Twisted Evil
Babis Papageorgiou
Babis Papageorgiou

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:12 pm

Babis, I wasn't cynical, I was showing interest.

So in regard the above did God create the big bang? Razz
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Babis Papageorgiou Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:32 pm

I know John, I just wanted to do some humor!
Well, anyone can choose his opinion, in which he/she has/hasn't the need to believe in/somewhere. There is no right and wrong! Ι love being chatty. ahah
It's not as astrology and astronomy in which already we have answers, ahah.
We don't know yet if God create Big Bang, I hope no, ahah, so I choose the justification and the path of science. And I prefer it from 'the first day God created matter, then the sky and the earth'.
Babis Papageorgiou
Babis Papageorgiou

Back to top Go down

Post by Cédric Bourgeois Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:56 pm

Hi everyone, this week I choose to spend my English time in oral comprehension. So it was English series with English subtitles Smile
I don’t know if you know the series « The Purge », it’s a series in the same universe of the movie « American Nightmare » about one night by years in USA of everything is authorized (including murder).
This series is interesting because you follow 3 stories in the same series :
- One guy who search his sister
- A woman who works in a building
- A couple who are in a party in a secured house.

I really advise you to see this series if you liked « American Nightmare »

I choose this because I have some difficulties to understand English when some people speak so I prefer to works my comprehension. In the future, I would like to delete the subtitles but for the moment it’s really not possible Mad .
Cédric Bourgeois
Cédric Bourgeois

Birthday : 1995-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Damaye Alexis Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:40 am

Pavé César  What a Face

So I finished my course about crimonology so I just began a new course called "Identity in question". pirat

So what is identity?

The question "who am I" is not enough : it's just bringing answer about personality, not identity. We all share personality traits with other people. But the identity involves "some active engagement on our part", we choose to identify with a particular identity or group. Personalty describes individuals qualities we have like be shy, so internal characteristics we have. But in the identity, there is a part of choice.

There is an example of a football game. The example's guy go to the match because he likes to see beautiful football game, enjoying to be surrounded by a crowd in madness : it's his personality. But he also go to the game because he wants to identify with that particular team, wear his jersey, etc.

What is important to retain here is what make us have the same identity as one group of people and different one from others. What we have in common? What make us different from them?

So what are the informations we use to know people are the same as us? In the last example, what was important was a symbol, like the jersey or the scarf of the team. It can be many other things, like the langage we speak (like when you're abroad, and you heard someone speaks with your language), our clothing styles... (I'm not speaking about some socks affraid)

Identities are the product of the society where we're living and our relationships with others. Identity creates links between people and the world where they live. Identity brings together how you see yourself and how others see you. It's a social position recognized by others, not just you. But, how you see yourself and how others see you may not go together. Its now a question of perception. Stories of conflicting identities can appear when there are tensions between the different identities of someone like to be a student, a son and an employee at the same time for example. Its why we can say people have multiple identities.

There a lot of notions like what you want to be, influences, pressures or available opportunities which influence the link between you and the others, not only the way you see you and the way the others see you. Sometimes some material, social and physical constraints prevent us to have successful identity positions. This constrains are often linked with the perceptions of the others about us.

We can't still have the identity we want. Still a question of constraints. In the case of poverty and economic constraints it's difficult to have the identity of a successful and rich man. Neutral

Sorry if maybe it's not totally clear, it's a vast and confused subject scratch

Last edited by Damaye Alexis on Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Damaye Alexis
Damaye Alexis

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:21 pm

It was well explained alexis, and very interesting.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Emeline Giffard Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:16 pm

Hello Hello !

The lesson today was about Orbits and gravity.

Understanding orbital motion is a fundamental aspect of designing space missions. It is also important for astronomers, as they can deduce the existence of other planets with ohter stars.

When you set an object in motion, it will usually move in a straight line, unless it encounters something or if it is disrupted by something else. If you want a object to keep moving in a circle for example, you need to nudge it sideways, or else it will keep a straight trajectory. You need to apply some force directed towards the center (the technical name for the force directed towards the center is a centripetal force, centripetal meaning 'centre-seeking'. The more you know).  

Why does the Moon doesn't fall on Earth for example ? Basically, its because the force of gravity acting between the Earth and the Moon keeps the Moon moving in its nearly circular path. If gravity stopped, the Moon would probably drift off into space, because nothing would be keeping her in place.

But why does the Moon has such motion ? Astronomers think that the Moon is made of material that were ejected from the Earth after a giant impact. The swirling motion that resulted from that later become the Moon's orbital motion. And as we said, as long as nothing comes in its way, the Moon will most likely keep its trajectory.

That's it for today ! For now, it is really basic stuff, I think the next lesson will be about the Solar Sytsem. See ya !
Emeline Giffard
Emeline Giffard

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:50 am

All these years I thought it was centripedal force - and I was wrong. Thanks Emeline.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarance de Villiers Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:44 pm

Hello everybody,
As some of you already know, I’ve started a food rebalancing program when I arrived here in Angoulême. That’s why I’ve chosen a course named “Nutrition and Wellbeing”. As I’ve already started to inform myself on nutrition two years ago, I’ve noticed that people often have misconceptions about food and especially about weigh loss. I want to be able to provide you with some useful tools. Maybe it’ll help you maybe not. We’ll see Very Happy

So, I’ve started Week 1 last week, and the first step was quite disappointing although the title seemed interesting: “How diets have changed from the age of the cavemen to current day?”. In my opinion, the professor has missed the point by just showing a bunch of skulls without explaining how they have evolved and why.

Then, generalities have been enunciated about how food provides energy to our body.
An Eatwell Guide has been designed to help us a varied healthy diet (you certainly remember this famous picture of a plate divided into different categories from fruit and vegetables to carbohydrates and fish and meat). It was interesting to see that provided recommendations have evolved over time. Dairy alternatives such as soya milk are now included. They also recommend to limit the consumption of fruit juices and smoothies as they are often high in sugar.

Then, the course proposes to calculate our own BMI (Body Mass Index) but I think everybody knows how to do so I won’t talk about it. More interesting calculations will be discussed later so stay tuned Wink
Clarance de Villiers
Clarance de Villiers

Back to top Go down

Post by Clothilde Pluchart Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:12 pm

We have the solution the desalination, it's true John. But the problem it is very expensive. Crying or Very sad
Clothilde Pluchart
Clothilde Pluchart

Back to top Go down

Post by Clothilde Pluchart Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:15 pm

Hi everyone,

How Stress affects your body?

The stress is a good thing because it that allow to give the better of you. However, the stress is good if it's on the short time. When the stress stay on the long time, it give several problems about our body.

Your primitve fight or flight stress reponse not only changes your brain but also damages many of the other organs and cells throughout your body.
Stress hormones, cortisol, epinephrine, adrenaline. This hormones travel in your blood.
Adrealine causes your heart to beat faster and raises your blood preasure over time causing hypertension.
Cortisol can also cause the endothelium, or inner lining of blood vessels, to not function normally (atherosclerosis or cholestorol plaque build up in your arteries). Cortisol can increase your appetite, extra calories.

When you brain senses stress it active your automatic nervous system. Through this network of nerve connection, your big brain communicates stress to your enteric or instestinal nervous system.
Via the gut's nervous system, stress can also change the composition and function of your gut bacteria, which may affect your digestive and overall health.

Chronic stress has even more ways it can sabotage your health, including acne, hair loss, sexual dysfunction, headaches, muscle tension, difficulty concentrating, fatigue, and irritability.

To fight the stress you can control and master the situations stressing. I think it's not a real solution.

I hope the subject enjoy you.

Clothilde Very Happy
Clothilde Pluchart
Clothilde Pluchart

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:24 pm

Clothilde Pluchart wrote:We have the solution the desalination, it's true John. But the problem it is very expensive. Crying or Very sad

It's not so expensive and if we concentrated on it we could reduce the costs further. Saudi Arabia have some great desalination plants.

Too long to read thoroughly but for those interested worth skimming:

https://www.advisian.com/en-gb/global-perspectives/the-cost-of-desalination#

improved water membranes could reduce the price a lot:

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/532891/how-can-desalination-become-cheaper/

Clothilde - I hope that you enjoy the subject
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelie Trarieux Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:26 am

Hi Joooohn, (I would say hi everyone but not sure anyone will be reading this)

I wish that spending the weekend with my Erasmus BFF would be considered as my English Homework but I guess that it would be too much to ask Rolling Eyes How about texting in English with Alex, Diana and Manon? cyclops
So I kind of stopped going to the class website but I've been reading a few articles on self-improvement (mostly work-related). I haven't saved all of them but here is one about self-leading before being able to be a good leader: https://ideas.ted.com/to-be-a-great-leader-you-need-to-start-by-leading-yourself/

Hope you're good,
Amelie Trarieux
Amelie Trarieux

Back to top Go down

Post by iman ghouzi Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:50 am

Hi guys 

So I have finished the course,i started some days ago about  The value of coffee. 
I found it interesting because it talks about different aspects of coffe like the economic and cultural value of coffee for both producers (farmers) and consumers.

Of course it's not the kind of course that interests all people, but it could be interesting for personal knowledge .

I would reccomend it if you are a coffee lover, so that you see what is hidden behind your cup of coffee Smile
iman ghouzi
iman ghouzi

Back to top Go down

Post by Léa ABREU Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:03 am

Damaye Alexis wrote:Please make some efforts Diana please. Evil or Very Mad

So I chose the course "An introduction to crime and criminology" because I always found interesting to understand how the brain of the murderers work and I am fascinating about it. (Maybe you already noticed it when you have seen about which series I talked last year...) and I know it's the same for a lot of people (in psychology studies at least ^^). So i want to improve my knowledge in this domain.

In the beginning of this article, it's trying to ask a question : how people can be fascinating by this kind of violence such crime? By the way, anywhere in the entertainment, the place of the world of crime is consequent. How many books, movies or series do you know where it holds a central position?

It seems to be two sides about the crime stories and crime in general : those who are fascinating and those who are afraid. But in fact, these two feelings are ambivalents and can go together very well.

Then, according to the article, we can understand a majority of us are criminals. Not murderers of course but, common criminal. Did you know for example that keep money found in the street is a crime ? Or something like stole a glass in a bar because it was pretty cool. (i'm sure i'm not the only one who did it  drunken). Even be drunk on a public way. It's nothing but make us "criminal" (in the UK at least).

To resume : a crime is just an act which breaks the law.

But under circumstances, some crimes become a non-crime thing. We can think about the graffiti. When it's made on his own property, wall, etc it doesn't break the law but when it's on the public property or the someone else' property it's different, and it's become illegal.  

Next episode soon Shocked

Hi Alexis,

This lecture was really interesting, I have done it last week ! Thank you for your sharing !! pig

Alongside, I watch Mind Hunter (that John recommended me last year) !
Léa ABREU
Léa ABREU

Back to top Go down

Post by farah ayedi Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:12 am

Hello guys,
I have been studying a course about "Intercultural Communication".
I choosed this subject because It can be interesting for me as I'm studying abroad and maybe I will be engaged in business across borders or cultural regions, meeting other people through international travel, working in a diverse, global organisation. So I can benefit from a better understanding of intercultural communication.
This course focused on some important concepts and allowed me to:
- more understand cross-cultural complexity
-cultivate my awareness of my own and others cultural identities

I advise you to try this course, it will help you adjust to the new cultural practices that come into your life, whether via the media or through interpersonal interactions Wink

farah ayedi
farah ayedi

Birthday : 1995-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by iman ghouzi Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:17 am

Hi guys,

i hope this time you can see my message (John why sometimes i write messages and they disappear ????
So in those weeks i was following the course , The value of coffee, which i found very interesting. It examined the economic and cultural value of coffee for both producers (farmers) and consumers. I have learnt that the price of a cup of coffee is shaped by number of factors and processes which influence the distribution of value between coffee-producing and coffee-consuming regions in the world. 
Of course i am not telling that it is the best course to follow (lol) but it could be interesting if you want to know what it is hidden behind your cup of coffee.

So i would recommend it for every coffee lovers Smile

For the next weeks i think  will start the course "emotions and emotional disorders" Smile
iman ghouzi
iman ghouzi

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:50 am

Iman, your first post is 3 above your repeat.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Damaye Alexis Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:34 pm

So, who are we?   Shocked

A passport is a good start to see what an identity can be, because it illustrates the link between the personal and the social. It gives informations about the name, some physical descriptions... And most importantly it places us : to which nation, group we belong.  Exclamation

However, a passport own a lot of limits. Firstly, our physical description can change every day. We all already seen the picture on our ID card and saw how much we changed since the moment we took the picture (it's often a laugh moment when friends find them, isn't it Blong?  Mad ).

There was an example about a british man who have 3 passports : one as school teacher with a lot of hair, one as photograph with less hair and a last one where he is bald Crying or Very sad . So which one is the real him ?

The personal identity of someone includes his experience and life story. Continuity is important to understand who we are but changes impose identities are not fixed and timeless. 🐉

Okay, passports offer a lot of informations but say anything about a lof of other interesting informations. Like, how we occupy these positions or what they mean to us. A piece of paper does not include feelings. Arrow

Like, in the last example the guy is British. But he is ashamed to be one of them. Because of the colonialism, etc. He would prefer to be an European citizen. And it's what is really important : what people feel, what people want. This piece of paper has a big importance here : it writes what we don't are. Like this british guy is a british guy and not a french or chinese guy. Sleep

This kind of administration's papers are a big part of our identity construction nowadays. They offer rights of citizenship and illustrate the ways of which identities are institutionally constructed, through legislation, etc. Like I said before these papers are making some identities possible and others impossible. 🐮

Finally, about birth : if one day you have a child, his existence is not real until you declare it to the administration. bounce
Damaye Alexis
Damaye Alexis

Back to top Go down

Post by sophie_rys Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:12 pm

Hi everyone 👋🏼,

This week-end I was in London, it was soooo awesome. What a great city! 🇬🇧 (You can imagine that I’m not really happy about my trip back to the city of ANGOULÊME). The 'good thing' is that the Eurostar is proposing some courses with Linkedin Learning so I enjoyed and I made my weekly autonomous work with the course called « Persuading others » presented by Dorie Clark, professor at Duke University’s Fuqua School of Business and author of ‘Reinventing You And Stand Out’.

In this course, D. Clark is explaining us how can we be more persuasive by being more credible.

Some people think that persuasion is manipulation. But it’s not about tricking anyone, persuasion is learning skills and techniques to communicate more effectively in order to make people understand and really take in.

The course is built in different parts :

I - How to get someone to like you right away :
The answer is : to find something you have in common with them. Having some connexions does give you basis on which you can build some relationship.

To find this commonality, you can :
- Research people in advance like per example on LinkedIn, Google… and find possible line of inquiry
- Discover how their time is spent outside of work and discover a number of commonalities : hobbies, kids of the same age…

Even if you don’t have any commonality, you can :
- read the newspaper regularly to improve your general culture and your natural curiosity in the order to have rich discussions
- Ask good questions…

II - How to be viewed as immediately credible :
2 things you can do to gain credibility :
-  Build your credentials (external sources that can underline your expertise). They don’t always have to be formal or academic.
- Promote your credentials to make sure that people know about them.

Other ways to gain credibility :
- send an email before an initial meeting
- corporate some text into your email signature (it’s more serious and so credible)…

III - Overcome a bad first impression :
It’s not alway easy to built a good first impression and it’s not always easy neither to change a first impression. But it’s not impossible : get people to take a second look at you by :
1. Spending more time with the person you’ve alienated  
2. Overcompensating to change a person’s view of you.
3. Being patient - give the person time to know you.

IV - Identify the person you need to persuade :
1. Consider your organisation’s gain of command
2. Determine who your boss needs to persuade
3. Decide who has indirect power in your organisation and understand their motivations, know them.
4. Spend time with key decision makers and influencers.

That’s where I finished the course. Sorry for this big post but I didn't really know how I could summarise it even more. It’s not a subject I thought it could be really interesting but Dorie Clark has a good pedagogy in her video, I like it!

Here is the link if you want to : https://www.linkedin.com/learning/persuading-others?trk=seo_pp_d_cymbii_m015%3Aa001_learning&originalSubdomain=fr
sophie_rys
sophie_rys

Back to top Go down

Post by Babis Papageorgiou Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:04 am

Hi everyone!

This week I changed subject and I chose to learn things about a gender of music that I used to listen and I like ‘The Blues’ and its tradition-origin.

First of all, for those who like ‘sémiotique’ the name blues come from the colour blue who is related to melancholy or sadness. There is the expression also ‘Feeling Blue’ when we want to describe a sad feeling. The song ‘Blue Monday’ etc..

The definition that approaches and fits mostly in Blues is : an African-American song form, delivered from late nineteenth-century, with lyrics often emphasise subjective responses to love and loss.

Blues has become usually confused with the early history of jazz, ragtime and gospel
music.

The blues began as a way of entertainment of coloured people who lived in the southern states of America. Some would argue that the Mississippi delta was the birthplace of the blues.

Those areas had a big concentration of coloured people than any other part of the country due to an economy based on cotton farming.

The Church often became a focus point in poor rural communities. Church was a place and a midpoint of African-americans where they were listening to music and dancing, creating communities with a strong sense of identity.

The musical sources of the blues included religious songs, called spirituals, were songs on Christian themes.

That was it for this week. More infos are coming soon. Stay tuned! ahaha
Babis Papageorgiou
Babis Papageorgiou

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordan Besson Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:59 pm

Hello everyone, it's a perfect day to speak on this forum. I know, I have not been unable since 1 week but I am back to speak about children and internet. It's a subject dear for my heart because it's my research paper subject's. We all know that all children have access to internet thanks to different way such as tablet, computer, mobile... Internet can be a great work tool but as Sonia Livingstone ( a social psychologist) said it's important to regulate and support children in Internet development.
The purpose of my post is not to bored you so I put the video and we can discuss about this asap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyjbDUP1o0g

It's difficult to express a personal point of view here because Internet is always changing including digital platforms and services but we can all participate at this big debate with different ideas.
Love U kiss U
Jordan Besson
Jordan Besson

Birthday : 1997-06-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Léa Aupetit Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:16 pm

this week I returned to the first course I studied which was "Innovation : the fashion industry" in order to finish it before they pushed me out of the course.
This time it was about discovering how a product is made from the beginning with the birth of the idea until the moment it's massively produce for the different shop.
It explain a product's manager work in the fashion industry, which is part of what I did during my internship last year.

They explained how they created their iconic suit, made to be timeless in terms of trend but also materials : a product that reflect how they picture the future for the clothing sector. They used sustainable, biological raw material, organic fibres... they try to reduce water dyeing.

One of the main project was to create an easy-recyclable product. What is difficult now to recycle product is removing all the added details such as bottons, fly... but also sewing thread . they developped a new technic in which you put the cloth to recycle in a type of oven which disintegrate the sewing thread. Finally it's easier because you gain time and money. The fabric is not damaged and can be re-used.

Léa Aupetit

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next