UP English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weekly Autonomous Work

+27
Clarance de Villiers
Malek.benslimane
Ravahiti
noemie_resclause
Caroline Richard
Pauline Maurisset
Marina Guillon
calberti
Isaure Ayrault-Roy
Léa Aupetit
Léa ABREU
Babis Papageorgiou
Chloé Gailledrat
iman ghouzi
Cédric Bourgeois
sophie_rys
Damaye Alexis
Manon Saroul
Amelie Trarieux
Diana Gashi 1
Emeline Giffard
Meghane Cren
Jordan Besson
ELISANGELA
Caroline Lemoigne
Clothilde Pluchart
Admin
31 posters

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Weekly Autonomous Work - Page 4 Empty Re: Weekly Autonomous Work

Post by Victor Chevalier Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:21 pm

Hi,
This week I continue my autonomous work about digital marketing, this week the subject is SEO (search engine optimization). In marketing digital, SEO is very important, is difficult to have an effective SEO and it's very important to choose keys words.
Victor Chevalier
Victor Chevalier

Back to top Go down

Post by sophie_rys Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:24 pm

Babis Papageorgiou wrote:Hi everyone!

This week I changed subject and I chose to learn things about a gender of music that I used to listen and I like ‘The Blues’ and its tradition-origin.

First of all, for those who like ‘sémiotique’ the name blues come from the colour blue who is related to melancholy or sadness. There is the expression also ‘Feeling Blue’ when we want to describe a sad feeling. The song ‘Blue Monday’ etc..

The definition that approaches and fits mostly in Blues is : an African-American song form, delivered from late nineteenth-century, with lyrics often emphasise subjective responses to love and loss.

Blues has become usually confused with the early history of jazz, ragtime and gospel
music.

The blues began as a way of entertainment of coloured people who lived in the southern states of America. Some would argue that the Mississippi delta was the birthplace of the blues.

Those areas had a big concentration of coloured people than any other part of the country due to an economy based on cotton farming.

The Church often became a focus point in poor rural communities. Church was a place and a midpoint of African-americans where they were listening to music and dancing, creating communities with a strong sense of identity.

The musical sources of the blues included religious songs, called spirituals, were songs on Christian themes.

That was it for this week. More infos are coming soon. Stay tuned! ahaha

Interesting post! Blues is magic Like a Star @ heaven
Big up on Taj Mahal, to have a nice blues moment : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjpIijRirUs
sophie_rys
sophie_rys

Back to top Go down

Post by Cédric Bourgeois Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:53 pm

Victor Chevalier wrote:Hi,
This week I continue my autonomous work about digital marketing, this week the subject is SEO (search engine optimization). In marketing digital, SEO is very important, is difficult to have an effective SEO and it's very important to choose keys words.

I agree SEO is really important in marketing nowadays, it's too bad that we don't have this course in CEPE Sad
Cédric Bourgeois
Cédric Bourgeois

Birthday : 1995-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Clothilde Pluchart Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:04 pm

Hi everyone,

My subject this week is: Why we love repetition in music ?
How many times does the chorus repeat in your favorite song ? And, take a moment to think, how many times have you listened to it? Chances are you've heard that chorus repeated dozens, if not hundreds, of times, and it's not just popular songs in the West that repeat a lot. Repetition is a feature that music from cultures around the world tends to share.

So, why does music relyso heavily on repetition? One part of the answer come from what psychologists call the mere-exposure effect. In short, people tend to prefer things they've been exposed to before. For example, a song comes on the radio that we don't particularly like, but then we hear the song at the grocery store, at the movie theater and again on the street corner. Soon, we are tapping to the beat, singing the words, even downloading the track.

So, what makes repetition so uniquely prevalent in music?
To investigate, psychologists asked people to listen to musical compositions that avoided exact repetition. They heard excerpts from these pieces in either their original form, or in a version that had been digitally altered to include repetition. Although the original versions had been composed by some of the most respected 20th century composers, and the repetitive versions had been assembled by brute force audio editing, people rated the repetitive versions as more enjoyable, more interesting and more likely to have been composed by a human artist. Musical repetition is deeply compelling.

Repetition connects each bit of music irresistibly to the next bit of music that follows it. So when you hear a few notes, you're already imagining what's coming next. Your mind is unconsciously singing along, and without noticing, you might start humming out loud.

Recent studies have shown that when people hear a segment of music repeated, they are more likely to move or tap along to it.

Repetition invites us into music as imagined participants, rather than as passive listeners.

Repetition in music isn't just a feature of Western pop songs, either; it's a global phenomenon.

I hope you understood the sense of the repetition in music.

Good bye everyone. Very Happy
Clothilde Pluchart
Clothilde Pluchart

Back to top Go down

Post by Léanne Imare Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:23 pm

Hi John
I see that there's already 4 pages on this topin and I still didn't start my autonomus work... I'm sorry John but I changes 3 times andd I can't manage to get interested. Even the article about the oceans is boring I rather watch some documentaries on Arte. Don't you have something else that I could do my autonomous work on to propose me ?
Léanne Imare
Léanne Imare

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:58 pm

Léanne Imare wrote:Hi John
I see that there's already 4 pages on this topin and I  still didn't start my autonomus work... I'm sorry John but I changes 3 times andd I can't manage to get interested. Even the article about the oceans is boring I rather watch some documentaries on Arte. Don't you have something else that I could do my autonomous work on to propose me ?

Well why don't you find some documentaries online that interest you, watch them and then introduce them as topics on here for anyone who wants to discuss them, possibly link that to relevant online articles.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Post by sophie_rys Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:19 pm

Hi everyone !

Today I came back on my « Modern Building Design » course.

What I learnt in brief :
- Modern building is becoming more complicated : requires more equipment, needs to fulfil multiple functions while maintaining comfort levels and reducing carbon emissions.
- Thermal modelling is a tool that can provide a better understanding of building performance highlighting issues for data lighting, glare, ventilations strategies… all the information allow the designers to understand how the design will respond and thereby make improvements.
- Buildings are modelled with weather data : in the UK, there are few sites where there are observations for this kind of variables : temperature, wind speed, solar radiation…
- With the climate change, it’s not just the temperatures that will change but also intensity of rainfall, wind shear, driving rain penetration… and it all will affect building designs.

I finished the first part of the course but I’m stopping here cause it’s kind of boring 🙇🏽‍�. Tomorrow is coming a new course on FutureLearn : Fashion & Sustainability 👠, so I’m going to study this one from now.

Have a good rainy sunday ! ☔
sophie_rys
sophie_rys

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarance de Villiers Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:56 pm

sophie_rys wrote:Hi everyone !

Today I came back on my « Modern Building Design » course.

What I learnt in brief :
- Modern building is becoming more complicated : requires more equipment, needs to fulfil multiple functions while maintaining comfort levels and reducing carbon emissions.
- Thermal modelling is a tool that can provide a better understanding of building performance highlighting issues for data lighting, glare, ventilations strategies… all the information allow the designers to understand how the design will respond and thereby make improvements.
- Buildings are modelled with weather data : in the UK, there are few sites where there are observations for this kind of variables : temperature, wind speed, solar radiation…
- With the climate change, it’s not just the temperatures that will change but also intensity of rainfall, wind shear, driving rain penetration… and it all will affect building designs.

I finished the first part of the course but I’m stopping here cause it’s kind of boring 🙇🏽‍�. Tomorrow is coming a new course on FutureLearn : Fashion & Sustainability 👠, so I’m going to study this one from now.

Have a good rainy sunday ! ☔

Great new subject Sophie! I've chosen this topic for John's class and we'll discuss this on thursday with group A. I hope we'll exchange about it together too Very Happy
Clarance de Villiers
Clarance de Villiers

Back to top Go down

Post by Emeline Giffard Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:23 pm

Like a Star @ heavenLike a Star @ heavenLesson today : Our Neighbourhood Like a Star @ heavenLike a Star @ heaven

(We all learned that when we were little, but here's a quick reminder because i need to write something why not)

So, basically, in our good Solar Neighbourhood, we have good old Sun watching o'er us, eight planets dancing around it, with satellites and ring sytems and minor bodies (such as dwarf planets, asteroids and comets) completing this pretty picture.

All the planets dance around the Sun in the same fashion : anticlockwise (which means, in the opposite direction to the rotation of the hands of a clock), if you look at them from the North Pole.

Most planets spin on their own axes, and they do it anticlockwisely too (except for Venus and Uranus, little rebels that they are : the former spins backwards and the latter is just tipped on its side).

The lesson then went on describing the different planets' size, and i found it funny because, as a way for us to truly picture the planets' sizes and compare them in our mind, they compared them to fruits. So here's the list of each planets and their fruit counterpart, if you want to have a rough idea of the differences in size between the planets :

Mercury --> redcurrant
Venus --> cherry tomato
Earth --> cherry tomato
Mars -- > blueberry
Jupiter --> water melon
Saturn --> pumpkin
Uranus --> orange
Neptune --> orange

(great way to revise your fruits btw hihi).

Basically, this means that Jupiter is the biggest planet of them all, while Mercury is the smallest.

Planets are divided into two groups : those that are closest to the Sun (called the Terrestrial planets, so Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars) all have rocky surface, while the other four (so Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune, the Gas Giants), have deep dense atmospheres.

Ah, but what about Pluto, the forgotten ex-planet ? Well, you see, Pluto is part of what we call "dwarf planets", minor bodies that are large enough to have their own shapes determined by their gravity. Among these dwarf planets, you have the largest asteroid Ceres, for example. So, Pluto (officially called 134430) is no longer a planet, and it is so since 2006 (sometimes, in some books that were edited before 2006, Pluto is still classified as a Planet though. I know that some Americans were pissed off by the reclassification of Pluto as a dwarf planet, because they were the ones who discovered it, and I think there is an association that wants Pluto to be reclassified as the ninth planet in our system but I am not entirely sure so, back to the lesson)

But let's talk a bit about the Shining Star of our Sytem, the Sun. Because yes, the Sun is a star, even though we might find this weird, as the Sun in big and bright, unlike the little points that we see in the nighsky. But all is a matter of distance : the Sun is bigger than the other stars because it is closer than the others.

Although it is quite an ordinary star, the Sun is dominating our neighbourhood : it is ten times larger than Jupiter and more than a hundred times larger than the Earth. It weighs three hundred thousand times more than our dear home. Because it is bigger, the Sun's gravitational forces litteraly controls the way all bodies in the system move. The temperatures and pressures neart the center of the Sun are enough to sustain the nuclear reactions that powers it, which creates the ouputs of energy in the form of electromagnetic radiation that we can observe as relflected or absorbed and re-emitted sunlight.

Fascinating isn't it ?

Well the lesson is over, see ya !
Emeline Giffard
Emeline Giffard

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:11 am

Emeline Giffard wrote:Like a Star @ heavenLike a Star @ heavenLesson today : Our Neighbourhood Like a Star @ heavenLike a Star @ heaven

(We all learned that when we were little, but here's a quick reminder because i need to write something why not)

So, basically, in our good Solar Neighbourhood, we have good old Sun watching o'er us, eight planets dancing around it, with satellites and ring sytems and minor bodies (such as dwarf planets, asteroids and comets) completing this pretty picture.

All the planets dance around the Sun in the same fashion : anticlockwise (which means, in the opposite direction to the rotation of the hands of a clock), if you look at them from the North Pole.

Most planets spin on their own axes, and they do it anticlockwisely too (except for Venus and Uranus, little rebels that they are : the former spins backwards and the latter is just tipped on its side).

The lesson then went on describing the different planets' size, and i found it funny because, as a way for us to truly picture the planets' sizes and compare them in our mind, they compared them to fruits. So here's the list of each planets and their fruit counterpart, if you want to have a rough idea of the differences in size between the planets :

Mercury --> redcurrant
Venus --> cherry tomato
Earth --> cherry tomato
Mars -- > blueberry
Jupiter --> water melon
Saturn --> pumpkin
Uranus --> orange
Neptune --> orange

(great way to revise your fruits btw hihi).

Basically, this means that Jupiter is the biggest planet of them all, while Mercury is the smallest.

Planets are divided into two groups : those that are closest to the Sun (called the Terrestrial planets, so Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars) all have rocky surface, while the other four (so Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune, the Gas Giants), have deep dense atmospheres.

Ah, but what about Pluto, the forgotten ex-planet ? Well, you see, Pluto is part of what we call "dwarf planets", minor bodies that are large enough to have their own shapes determined by their gravity. Among these dwarf planets, you have the largest asteroid Ceres, for example. So, Pluto (officially called 134430) is no longer a planet, and it is so since 2006 (sometimes, in some books that were edited before 2006, Pluto is still classified as a Planet though. I know that some Americans were pissed off by the reclassification of Pluto as a dwarf planet, because they were the ones who discovered it, and I think there is an association that wants Pluto to be reclassified as the ninth planet in our system but I am not entirely sure so, back to the lesson)

But let's talk a bit about the Shining Star of our Sytem, the Sun. Because yes, the Sun is a star, even though we might find this weird, as the Sun in big and bright, unlike the little points that we see in the nighsky. But all is a matter of distance : the Sun is bigger than the other stars because it is closer than the others.

Although it is quite an ordinary star, the Sun is dominating our neighbourhood : it is ten times larger than Jupiter and more than a hundred times larger than the Earth. It weighs three hundred thousand times more than our dear home. Because it is bigger, the Sun's gravitational forces litteraly controls the way all bodies in the system move. The temperatures and pressures neart the center of the Sun are enough to sustain the nuclear reactions that powers it, which creates the ouputs of energy in the form of electromagnetic radiation that we can observe as relflected or absorbed and re-emitted sunlight.

Fascinating isn't it ?

Well the lesson is over, see ya !

what beautiful English. and the facts were interesting too.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Damaye Alexis Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:25 pm

Identity's gender of children are highly stereotyped as you know. Even today, even if the mentality's people is changing we still have "blue is for boy and pink is for girl" like in the toy's market. But these ways of thinking lead to have predictions about the future of the children, based on the knowledge we have about their gender. So, all boys are going to like football and video games when they will grow up?  scratch

For children, it's important to understand what they are : boy or girl. It's a huge part of their identity construction. But society have been too far. Because these categories are too inflexible, some children can be lost. What about a boy who is growing up and realizing he prefers to play with dolls than Action-Man or something like that. To not understand why his friends don't like the same things he likes (maybe i'm telling you Jordan's childhood idk...) cyclops

Children are using social and cultural characteristics to construct what they are going to be. About 5 yo, children understand their gender and other's gender identity remain the same across time and contexts. Before this age, they can't. For example, if a girl sees her father dresses like a woman, she will think now he is a woman. So, from this age, they understand gender's identities are more flexible and in the world there are multiple gender identities, rather than just one masculine identity and one feminine identity. And it's also the product of the society's changes. tongue

To return to my main subject, gender identity is not timeless and not enough to explain what a person is. Nowadays, a person can be born as boy and become a woman, or the contrary. And even without this kind of surgery, there are a lot of different masculinities and feminities.  bounce
Damaye Alexis
Damaye Alexis

Back to top Go down

Post by Clothilde Pluchart Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:22 pm

Thinking about starting a business? Ask these 4 questions first

Some people who launch companies end up being wildly successful, but there’s an unpleasant truth: Many fail.

The traits of successful entrepreneurs haven’t changed much in the digital age: You need more builders than branders, and it’s key to have a technologist as part of — or near — the founding team.

So, I’ve come up with 4 essential questions that you should ask yourself if you’re seriously considering going out on your own:

Question 1: Can you sign the front, and not the back, of checks?

Most people can’t wrap their heads around the notion of working without getting paid — and 99+ percent will never risk their own capital for the sheer pleasure of … working.

Question 2: Are you comfortable with public failure?

Most failures are private: you decide law school isn’t for you : you decide to spend more time with your kids (you were fired).

However, there’s no hiding your own business failure. It’s you, and if you’re so awesome, your business must succeed … right? Wrong. And when it doesn’t, it will feel like elementary school, where the marketplace is a 6th grader laughing at you because you’ve wet your pants … multiplied by 100.

Question 3: Do you like to sell?

The word “entrepreneur” is a synonym for “salesperson.” Selling people to join your firm, selling them to stay at your firm, selling investors, and, oh yeah, selling customers. It doesn’t matter if you’re running the corner store or Pinterest — you’d better be darn good at selling if you plan to start a business.

Question 4: How risk aggressive are you?

I hope this subject is interesting for you if you have desire to launch your business. Very Happy
Clothilde Pluchart
Clothilde Pluchart

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelie Trarieux Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:16 am

Clothilde I looove this subjet! These are really interesting questions to ask yourself when launching a business. If I ever had to launch a business, I think that the hardest feeling would be a public failure. Indeed, I'm very comfortable selling, being risk aggressive and giving money to my employee before me (that would be hoping I can move back to my parents to do so ahahha).
How about you, what would be the hardest part of launching your own business?
Amelie Trarieux
Amelie Trarieux

Back to top Go down

Post by Diana Gashi 1 Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:35 pm

Clothilde Pluchart wrote:Hi everyone,

My subject this week is: Why we love repetition in music ?
How many times does the chorus repeat in your favorite song ? And, take a moment to think, how many times have you listened to it? Chances are you've heard that chorus repeated dozens, if not hundreds, of times, and it's not just popular songs in the West that repeat a lot. Repetition is a feature that music from cultures around the world tends to share.

So, why does music relyso heavily on repetition? One part of the answer come from what psychologists call the mere-exposure effect. In short, people tend to prefer things they've been exposed to before. For example, a song comes on the radio that we don't particularly like, but then we hear the song at the grocery store, at the movie theater and again on the street corner. Soon, we are tapping to the beat, singing the words, even downloading the track.

So, what makes repetition so uniquely prevalent in music?
To investigate, psychologists asked people to listen to musical compositions that avoided exact repetition. They heard excerpts from these pieces in either their original form, or in a version that had been digitally altered to include repetition. Although the original versions had been composed by some of the most respected 20th century composers, and the repetitive versions had been assembled by brute force audio editing, people rated the repetitive versions as more enjoyable, more interesting and more likely to have been composed by a human artist. Musical repetition is deeply compelling.

Repetition connects each bit of music irresistibly to the next bit of music that follows it. So when you hear a few notes, you're already imagining what's coming next. Your mind is unconsciously singing along, and without noticing, you might start humming out loud.

Recent studies have shown that when people hear a segment of music repeated, they are more likely to move or tap along to it.

Repetition invites us into music as imagined participants, rather than as passive listeners.

Repetition in music isn't just a feature of Western pop songs, either; it's a global phenomenon.

I hope you understood the sense of the repetition in music.

Good bye everyone. Very Happy

Hi Clo !!

This subject fits you so goood hahhaha !! The Queen of lyrics songs !!

But Waow your post is really interesting !!!

Diana Gashi 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Lemoigne Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:27 pm

Hi,

So i finished my course named Marketing in the 21st century (6hours study). The subject remained very global, so there were many points that I had already studied.

The course was organised as follow:
Introduction
1. What is marketing (which i had introduce last time)
2. Marketing and ethics
3. Brand
4. International Marketing
Little conclusion

So i tried to summarize the different points of this course.

2. Summary of marketing and ethics

So it was about the differents ethical theories:
- utilitarianism: it's about the consequences of the decision. The decision have to benefit to the greatest number of stakeholders.
- deontology: good ethical decisions are made on the basis of essential ethical principles such as honesty, sincerity, respect for the rights of others, justice, etc.
- virtue ethics: the moral integrity of the individual (which guide our choises and actions) is involved in making the decision. Moral virtues include honesty, courage, friendship, mercy, loyalty and patience.

3. Then it was about brands

The origin of the brands: existed already a long time ago in the form of drawings (in the prehistorical caves) then with the seals. The Industrial Revolution is the turning point: we observe the emergence of a multitude of brands to differentiate products from each other.
So there is an evolution in the role and use of brands.

The usefulness of brands: distinguish, communicate, retain, build and characterize the company (strategy, activities, competitive advantage ..), shape the company culture, attract employers, provides legal protection (trademarks, patents ...)
The example given is Disney, which stands out from its competitors and has a strong position in the market (storytelling, its universe, the desire to work for some, the park experience, loyalty, the products offered etc).

The relevance of brands to consumers:
- easier identification: you know the brand, its quality of product etc
- Brands as individual expression: we consume this brand because it corresponds to our values ​​/ preferences
- Brands as social expression: to belong to a group by buying the same products/brands

The importance of brand equity:
Related to its name or symbol because it's the first identification aspects of a brand.

4. The last point was about international marketing

Organisations have to take into account the environmental factors that may affect them so it's about the PESTEL analysis that we all know (Politic, Economic, Social, Technical, Environmental and Legal)

Opening at the end of the course on China.
As we all know, this country offers several trade opportunities: many manufactures, costs, etc. But there are also problems, specific to certain business areas such as: to find the best partner (which understand your requierements, know the local market...), logitics issues, certifications, cultural differences (the different management styles, the Chinese don't ask questions if they didn't understand in order to not "loosing face"), the relationships (not always face to face meeting)
China is still a market opportunity for European (and foreign) companies because of its large population but also the increase of the middle class (which is interested in European products). The main problems remain the cultural differences, the protection of the products / creations and the "contre-façon" but the government tries to improve all that to open the Chinese market to the rest of the world

Thanks for reading

Caroline Lemoigne

Back to top Go down

Post by Léa ABREU Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:15 pm

Thanks to my loving Alexis, I am now on my second lecture of criminology ! And I have to say that this is really interesting !! I am learning soooo much about humans begins in their worst part (which makes me understand more certain people everydays behaviors...)

Nathan is saying that I am crazy liking those type of subject and he is afraid I can be a psychopath too (maybe he's right? who knows?)

(Thank you again Alexis)
Léa ABREU
Léa ABREU

Back to top Go down

Post by Emeline Giffard Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:53 pm

Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven The Sun and stars  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven

We are all familiar with good old Sun, that we see pretty much everyday (or not, depending where you live). The part that we normally see (the big yellow circle) is what we call the photosphere (which means "sphere of light". Poetic right ?). This photosphere is not solid, unlike the surface of our planet. It is a thin layer of hot gas, 500 kilometres deep. And it is very hot (like you) : 5500°C.

Over its surface, the Sun has what scientists call sunspots : small, dark patches that appear all around the photosphere. These little moles survive for just a week, or not even for a week, or sometimes for many weeks. These spots, which can be photographed, are used to investigate the rate at which the Sun rotates : as the number of spots changes over time, it increases to its maximum every eleven years, then decreases to its minimum (which means no sunspots). this cycle is linked to changes in the Sun's magnetic field.

Usually, astronomers study the Sun with special equipment ; but a special phenomenom, called a total eclipse, represents an opportunity for the science community to gather more insights of the nature of the Sun. A total eclipse happens when the Moon passes right in front of the Sun, and blocks out the bright light from the photosphere (BEWARE : you shouldn't look directly at the Sun without any special equipment, you might go blind).

While the Moon eclipses the photosphere, it is possible to see a narrow, pink-coloured ring that appears to encircle the Sun : this is the chromoshpere ("sphere of colour"), which is the lower, or inner, part of the Sun's atmosphere. It is also made of gas, and sits on top of the photosphere. The lower parts of the chromosphere are cooler than the photosphere however, while the higher part are way more hotter. But as the chromospheric is really thin, it emits a really little light, which means that you can't normally see it (now imagine a world with a pink Sun hahaha).

A third part of the Sun can also be seen during a total eclipse, the Corona (meaning the Crown). It is extremely thin, and its overall appearance changes from eclipse to eclipse. It is very hot, but it is so thin that its pearly white light is very faint, especially in comparison to the photosphere. Which is why we never see it.

(fun fact, but do you know why the sky is blue ? It is because the Sun's photosphere is scattered by the Earth's atmosphere, which gives its blue colour to the sky !)

That's all for this week, envoy our little break from CEPE guys - and Happy Halloween ! What a Face

Last edited by Emeline Giffard on Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Emeline Giffard
Emeline Giffard

Back to top Go down

Post by Babis Papageorgiou Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:03 pm

Hi folks,
I continued with ‘the blues’ subject and I am writing it right now cause there wasn’t a lot of free time during the past week.

So, in the beginning there were different kinds of Blues, such us delta blues, country, down-home, urban, harmonica etc. They were separated concerning the sound, the instruments but mostly the region which they came from.

The early blues as I said in my previous post had begun in African American communities, mostly poor.
The recordings of those songs were difficult, because except for the loss of money and the connexion with the music industry, it was a taboo and racial stereotype if a coloured person wanted to make a career in every job, not only as musician.
These people weren’t capable to right down using any kind of musical notation because they were musically uneducated. As a result the only method for keeping the blues alive was the ‘oral or aural tradition’.
This kind of tradition was the transformation of songs, from one musician to another by listening and learning by ear. (Oral meaning by mouth and aural by ear).
These traditions are often called ‘folk music stories’ because they are related to a single community affirm and connected with a specific culture and identity.

To sum up, even when some singers started to record some songs, the people from communities couldn’t afford to buying some the disks or they hadn’t everyone access in radios.

That brought some misunderstandings in the music industry in some popular songs as catfish blues which has been recorded a little bit differently from several artists as Muddy Waters.
It was something as the today’s covers but some times with some differences in lyrics.

Sophie you inspired me when you posted it a 'blues' song, so here you are, from all of you, one from me too, from a modern blues' singer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_ZeDn-hHGE
Babis Papageorgiou
Babis Papageorgiou

Back to top Go down

Post by Pauline Maurisset Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:13 pm

Hi all!

I've just started a course called "The secret power of brands" and it's very interesting.
The fact is that we are overwhelmed by brands but in an unconscious way.
We all talk about Mc Donalds or Nike every day but have we ever wondered why these brands are so powerfull?

The course makes us go behind the scenes of a brand.
If you are curious, I really recommend you take a look at it.

By the way, enjoy your holidays Wink

Pauline Maurisset

Back to top Go down

Post by Malek.benslimane Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:31 am

Pauline Maurisset wrote:Hi all!

I've just started a course called "The secret power of brands" and it's very interesting.
The fact is that we are overwhelmed by brands but in an unconscious way.
We all talk about Mc Donalds or Nike every day but have we ever wondered why these brands are so powerfull?

The course makes us go behind the scenes of a brand.
If you are curious, I really recommend you take a look at it.

By the way, enjoy your holidays Wink

Really interesting. I'll join in very soon !
Malek.benslimane
Malek.benslimane

Back to top Go down

Post by Malek.benslimane Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:43 am

Hello every on !
The course that I chose to follow now is about the British Imperialism. Since I’m very interested in history, I wanted to learn about this topic to confirm or to infirm many ideas I had. I can say that I really learnt a lot and I discovered facets I never thought it existed before.
The British imperialism started with Elizabethans in northern America and was motivated by trade, money and adventure.
After the empire lost most of its territories in North America, it turned its attention to the east. One territory was very important to the eyes of the British imperialism: India. India was important in three ways: strategically economically and militarily. Britain was dealing with India as an extension of its own territory and massively invested in infrastructure. Great Britain just wanted to recreate India in its own image by modernizing it and westernizing it. But it became no longer the case after 1857 rebellion which shifted the British quest for improvement to a concern for the law and order. India was called the jewel of the British imperial crown in the Victorian period.
Africa was one of the most important territories of the empire. We could through the war of South Africa, which lead the British Empire to take over the Afrikaner territories after big discoveries of gold and diamond mines, embrace the British propaganda to convince the British public of the importance of the latter. Also the war in South Africa really marked the British psyche regarding the many human losses and injured and disabled soldiers brought back to England..
According to John Hobson a journalist (Imperialism: A study; 1902) what mainly drove imperialism is no doubt money. In which way? After the industrial revolution, capitalism needed endless resources. A few very powerful industrial capitalists who drove imperialist expansion in order to obtain raw materials for their growing industries. Even the South African war was drove by Cecile Rhodes a mine owner who wanted to expand his business and who had influence on the government. The ruling elite had a big influence on the British government at that time.
Another facet of British imperialism was its relationship with Ireland. Great Britain was a key and a chain for Ireland who was a colony and who participated to the colonisation as well. But the religious conflicts and the Irish nationalism feeling took over the government effort to include Irish protestant elite in the high economical political and military sphere.
The British Empire reached its apogee at the beginning of the 20th century. But after the two world wars and the increase of the nationalism worldwide, Great Britain started to lose it colonies one after another to end up with only Hong Kong which was finally given back to China in 1997.
Malek.benslimane
Malek.benslimane

Back to top Go down

Post by Victor Chevalier Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:27 pm

hi, i hope your holiday is going well ?! I finished my courses about digital marketing. it was very interesting, the last lesson was about email marketing. all parts of digital marketing SEO, Pay per Click, email marketing and the banner advertisement, all are connected and all use the personals data. I think digital marketing will can change with the General Data Protection Regulation. because GDPR changes a lot of things about the personals data, the consumer win lot of right. It's will interesting to look the change of digital marketing with the GDPR.
Victor Chevalier
Victor Chevalier

Back to top Go down

Post by Marina Guillon Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:37 pm

Hi everyone!  Very Happy

In the last three weeks, I have continued the lecture on the platform! Even if I don't always find it interesting, at least it allows me to read texts in addition to watching videos, it changes me from series! But series are much better… Twisted Evil

So first, I finished the lecture on my first subject "Innovation in the fashion industry". They talk about the production line in fashion, from the idea to the massive production. Moreover, the lecture approaches the creation of a recyclable product.

After this lecture, I begin another one: "Fashion and Sustainability: Understanding Luxury Fashion in a Changing World". I know you think: what? Fashion again? …and yes again! Laughing  Because I think it's an interesting subject so I have more chances to finish the lecture even if it's boring.

So during these last two weeks, I worked on sustainability in fashion, why it is important now? Simply because fashion is a huge field which makes a lot of money but which create also huge problems like slavery, a lake of transparency and traceability for example… And to change that, the company who create this lecture give four agendas to manage a new idea: social, economic, ecological, cultural … very close to the concept of sustainable development, so not very innovative! silent

The second lecture (I don't finish it yet.) complete the concept of four agendas with the eight critical issues for fashion sustainability, created by the Centre for Sustainable Fashion: wellbeing, modern-day slavery, consumption & waste, diminishing resources, water stress, climate change, land use & biodiversity loss, pollution & hazardous chemical… It represents a lot of issues to fix … a little depressing … Crying or Very sad

I'll continue next week.

Have a good day! I love you

Marina Guillon

Back to top Go down

Post by Isaure Ayrault-Roy Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:15 pm

Hello every one !

I have some difficulties to really stay focused on the different exercises on future learn of free courses, I quickly get distracted. But to force me to maintain my English, I downloaded Ted application and I listen videos. There is sooo different subject on Ted it’s just incredible. Recently, I have find a new topic, called “feed your curiosity”, with small video (about 3 or 4 minutes). So I will explain two videos. I picked those I find the most interesting.

Are the Illuminati real?

First, I thought that illuminati was just a big legend. But, thanks to this video I learned that they had already existed (Am I the only one??). This secret society was created in 1776, in Bavaria (the south of Germany) with different new idea about rationalism, religious freedom and universal human rights. They expanded their numbers and they become an open secret. Illuminati members begun to secure important positions in local governments and universities. In 1784, a new decree banned all secrets society, and it worked. The forced into exile. The illuminati would become more notorious in their afterlife. But a decade after, during the French revolution, conservative claimed that the Illuminati had survived. But today, there’s no evidence that they survived.

Why do people join cults?

Today, they are thousands of cults around the world. There are not all religious, and not all new religions are what we’re referring to as cults. Majority of them claims to provide answers to life’s biggest questions about death, love, happiness, work, success… With the recipe of change, that shapes a new members into true believer. They uses different systems of influence to keep them obedient. Members are skilled at knowing whom to target often focusing on those new to an area or who are recently undergone some loss, with a real desire of meaning. More than two-thirds members re recruited y a friend, family member or co-worker. Once in the cults, they are subjected to multiple forms of indoctrination. In many case, the desire to belong change to attain he promised rewards. Only the people close to a member can convince him to leave it

Enjoy the end of your holidays !
Isaure Ayrault-Roy
Isaure Ayrault-Roy

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:40 am

I've thought about starting my own cult. I think I have the egoism for it but maybe not the charm.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next