UP English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our Planet : a Netflix Documentary

5 posters

Go down

Our Planet : a Netflix Documentary  Empty Our Planet : a Netflix Documentary

Post by Léanne Imare Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:06 am

Hi everybody ^^
For my autonomous work I decided to watch a documentary on Netflix which is called “ Our Planet”.
The first episode is about introducing how beautiful our planet is and how the planet changed in a human life-time. The worldwide population has declined from 60% and for the first time the stability of nature can not be granted.
In this episode we follow different kind of species to understand in which way the climatic change is impacting their environment and their life.
It is really impressive to see how the Cormorant birds sink into the ocean to chase anchovies. It look a lot like kamikaze during the war.

Thanks to this episode I learned that 2 millions of dust are rejected into the sky, and a quarter of them fall into the ocean. This is shocking.
Those dust are attracting some species of fish.
It is impressive to see how dolphins and birds cooperate” to eat fish. The dolphins are bringing fishes near the surface and when the birds attack fish try to go deeper into the ocean which bring them near the dolphins which can easily feed themselves. Dolphins under , Birds on the top fishes are totally trap.

In the second part in this episode we’re getting interested into the life of pink flamingo.
It’s really sad to see all the deserts which were creating by drought and how some animals are wandering alone looking for some water to survive. This is the case of pink flamingo who need to run for sometimes more than 50 km to find water after their birth.
I really like the fact that this episode shows how everything is linked in the nature and it’s so wonderful. It also shows how one problem can provoke catastrophes for other species too.
For example : the stability of polar is a need for all lives of our planet. But it is the part that warmed the most fast.
The ice see and the ice land are Reflecting social radiation and protecting the earth from overwarming but everyday ice is melting away into the ocean.
I ‘m looking forward to watch the next episode.
Léanne Imare
Léanne Imare

Back to top Go down

Our Planet : a Netflix Documentary  Empty Re: Our Planet : a Netflix Documentary

Post by SALMA FARES Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:39 am

Hi Leanne,

Thank you for sharing with us this documentary , i was looking for something to watch on netflix and now i know what to watch thank youuuuuuu I love you I love you I love you
SALMA FARES
SALMA FARES

Back to top Go down

Our Planet : a Netflix Documentary  Empty Re: Our Planet : a Netflix Documentary

Post by Caroline Lemoigne Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:44 pm

Hi,

I also watched the first episode of this documentary serie, this weekend on Netflix.
It takes many years to realize a documentary but the images are always beautiful from the beginning to the end. I read that this documentary took 4 years of work to be realized and it was filmed on all continents (and in 50 different countries). So this serie shows us the variety of landscapes and species and also the impact of human activities on fauna and flora.
The passage with the dolphins was pretty and it looked like a ballet of dancers, impressive image!
But the one with the baby pink Flamingo was sad, because he couldn't follow the group (searching for water) because of the salt sticking on his legs.
I'm also going to watch the next episode to discover other beautiful pictures, learn things/data/vocabulary. Moreover the serie is very understandable in English!

See you

Caroline Lemoigne

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarance de Villiers Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:40 pm

I want to watch this show but I'm afraid it'll depress me...
Please girls, share your global opinion at the end Smile
Clarance de Villiers
Clarance de Villiers

Back to top Go down

Post by Malek.benslimane Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:46 pm

Caroline Lemoigne wrote:Hi,

I also watched the first episode of this documentary serie, this weekend on Netflix.
It takes many years to realize a documentary but the images are always beautiful from the beginning to the end. I read that this documentary took 4 years of work to be realized and it was filmed on all continents (and in 50 different countries). So this serie shows us the variety of landscapes and species and also the impact of human activities on fauna and flora.
The passage with the dolphins was pretty and it looked like a ballet of dancers, impressive image!
But the one with the baby pink Flamingo was sad, because he couldn't follow the group (searching for water) because of the salt sticking on his legs.
I'm also going to watch the next episode to discover other beautiful pictures, learn things/data/vocabulary. Moreover the serie is very understandable in English!

See you

Well, all these feed backs really encourage me to watch this documentary. I know it will go against my wish to add more positivity in my life and avoid depressing stuff but I'll do it anyway. I'll balance this with chocolate Smile
Malek.benslimane
Malek.benslimane

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Lemoigne Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:48 pm

Malek.benslimane wrote:
Caroline Lemoigne wrote:Hi,

See you

Well, all these feed backs really encourage me to watch this documentary. I know it will go against my wish to add more positivity in my life and  avoid depressing stuff but I'll do it anyway. I'll balance this with chocolate Smile

Hi Malek,
I invite you to watch this series if you have time. It is true that some passages are sad and "nous interpellent" but it is also the goal of the series, which is well done and with beautiful camera pictures by the way ! And yes chocolate will comfort you for some passages Smile

Caroline Lemoigne

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Lemoigne Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:52 pm

Hi for those who read this topic,

So this series is part of my autonomous work. Today i will write about the second, third and fourth episodes.

So, fifty years ago, we went to the moon. Since then, the population has more than doubled. We do not just affect the pole but the whole planet.
This is how the episode begins.

This second episode focuses on the frozen worlds.
It first talks about Antarctica: the coldest place on earth and frozen for 30 million years. The winter is so cold that 19 million square kilometers of ocean freeze. In summer, life returns: plankton attract humpback whales, penguins and albatross. Penguins attract orcas. Then we go to South Georgia, where many species live: albatrosses, penguins, seals, elephant seals. Then in Arctic: a vast hunting ground for polar bears because there is only ice. Bears have no place to hide on this white flat surface, so they try to attack seals by surprise, but often fail. If the sea ice disappears, the polar bears too. We continue the trip to Canada artic, where we can see beautiful images of narwhal. This very fearful animal is extremely difficult to film. In this passage, we see a group of narwhals going into an ice crack in order to hunt in new areas. Artic warms up twice as fast as any other part of the planet. By 2040, the ice of its ocean will have almost disappeared during the summer months. The disappearance of the ice will have a devastating effect on all the species that depend on it.
We end this episode in the far north-east of Russia. This place is a home to the largest group of walruses on the planet (more than 100 000). They are here by despair and not by choice. Their natural habitat is ice, but it has disappeared. They therefore took refuge on a beach, the only place where they can rest near their feeding areas. This passage is very sad because it shows us that seals are piled on each other, to pass they walk on others, so some die crushed. Others climb cliffs, while they are not made for that. By trying to come back to the sea they fall from the cliff, from the heights they were not supposed to reach ...

This episode shows us that many species suffer from the consequences of global warming because their life depends on the ice (bears, seals, walrus ...).
At the end, the episode takes us back to the WWF website to learn how to preserve polar environments (and also for the other episodes).

What I learned:
- Penguins lost their ability to fly
- krill = plancton
- Half of the population of orcas patrol the Antarctic because there are many penguins. Their cruel hunting techniques are a means of transmitting them to other generations.
- albatrosses have wings of 3 meters
- Male elephant seals can weigh up to 4 tons.
- Narwhals are at the origin of the myth of the unicorn. They are so called unicorn of the seas. Their defense is 3m long.
- The sea ice is one of the shields against global warming: a white surface reflects sunlight in space and helps maintain the temperature of the earth's surface. While a dark surface absorbs 90% of solar energy and contributes to global warming.
- Walrus = morse

Last edited by Caroline Lemoigne on Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:07 pm; edited 3 times in total

Caroline Lemoigne

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Lemoigne Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:53 pm

The third episode focuses on tropical forests.

They have a vital role in the balance of our planet. This episode takes us to the Congo forest, which has the largest concentration of large animals (gorillas and forest elephants) involved in seed dispersal. We then fly to the Jungles of Borneo, in Southern America which are the oldest on our planet. More than half of the Borneo’s forests have disappeared. We observe insects, pitcher plants, mushrooms, eagles, etc. Then we go to the Amazon rainforest, it contains salt pools, vital for animals because they contain essential minerals. There are more than 1,000 different species of frogs, they are the indicator of the good health of the forest.

The biodiversity of the world's tropical rainforests is declining because of us because we have replaced more than 27 million hectares of virgin forests with one single species: oil palm exploitation (one of the most profitable in the world). This has led to the extinction of many animal species and especially orangutan.
The episode ends by saying that "Tropical forests capture and store carbon, cool our planet, provide us with food and medicine and we destroy them at our own risk." A sad truth.

What I learned:
- tropical forests are the richest habitat on earth. They cover 7% of the globe.
- Clouded leopard = panthère nébuleuse
- The gorilla population has dropped by half due to poaching. The species is in danger of instinct.
- Poaching = braconnage
- The 3rd largest tropical forest in the world is in Guiana.
- Birds of paradise = oiseaux de paradis
- Pitcher plants = plantes carnivores
- The Amazon rainforest stretches over 3,000km
- The jaguar is the biggest predator of Amazonia.
- The Amazon region is the home of more than 2 million species of insects: the main one is the leafcutter (= fourmis coupe feuilles). A colony can contain several million individuals and they can strip a tree in 24 hours. The leaves are used to grow mushrooms that will feed the larvae.
- Puppeteer = marionnettiste
- Human activity kills 100 orangutans every week

Caroline Lemoigne

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Lemoigne Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:58 pm

Episode n°4: Coastal waters.

The episode takes place underwater and offers a magnificent aquatic show. The coastal waters are fishing areas, considered as the "garde manger" of the planet.

So we see South Florida with the Everglades National Park, in which a grassland covers the sea: there is a wide variety of animal species: string rays, crabs, etc. This area is the hunting ground of the bottlenose dolphin. To feed, he uses echolocation: his natural sonar. Then, the French Polynesia, where we observe the sharks hunt in the dark because their senses give them the advantage. Sharks are very sensitive to movements, so the fish stop moving to stay alive.

The warming of the oceans affects the reefs: the coral becomes white, a sign that it dies. Without corals the fauna and flora of the reefs also die. We then go to Coast California, where we find sea otters (sooo cute): their furs protect them from the cold and they like to eat sea urchins. Then, in Alaska, where the herrings join the coast to reproduce. Sea lions, humpback whales and eagles come to eat them.
Jellyfish have no nutritional value for other animals or for humans. Their invasion indicates an unbalance in coastal waters. We must therefore adopt a sustainable fishery, otherwise our waters will be composed only of jellyfish (so nice). The islands of Raja Ampat in Southeast Asia is a marine sanctuary since 2004, allowing this space to regenerate. It is one of the few places on earth where biodiversity is increasing, thanks to the protection of the whole space.

What I learned:
- stingrays = raies
- bottlenose dolphin = le grand dauphin
- Shallow seas play a key role against global warming as a seagrass sucks 35 times more carbon dioxide than a tropical forest of the same size. This helps reduce ocean warming.
- Mangroves: the only tree able to adapt to the salinity of coastal waters. They protect the coast from storms, deal with carbon dioxide, its submerged roots are a nursery for fish.
- Coral reefs cover 1% of the ocean surface.
- the shark contributes to the good health of the reef by regulating the fish population.
- Sea lions like to surf waves Laughing .
- sea otter = loutres de mer
- sea urchins = oursins
- Sea otters regulate the number of sea urchins.
- herrings = harrengs
- humpback whale = baleine à bosse
- Ocean manta ray = raie manta. Their fins have a wingspan of 7m.
- fins = nageoirs
- wingspan = envergure

Thank you for reading! study
Bye

Caroline Lemoigne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down