UP English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The End of the world

+4
Lisa Garcia
carolinemaggi
Axelle Fardeau
Admin
8 posters

Go down

The End of the world Empty The End of the world

Post by Admin Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:17 am

Following on from our class session I was wondering what you'd do and how you think the world would react to the news that the earth will be destroyed in 5 years? and before you say 'I'd travel around the world ....." Do you think that there would be airlines to do this; would it be safe etc....

This also gives me the chance to post this video clip :

One of my all time favourite artists; who affected a generation in so many ways.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

The End of the world Empty Re: The End of the world

Post by Axelle Fardeau Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:28 pm

5 years? You're very kind, when you see what the world looks like at the beginning of the year 2020, it's not going to last long even if I hope so. No, let's not be defeatist, we must remain positive. In spite of everything we can see, especially the Chinese virus. I heard this morning that there were 3 cases of virus declared in France in Bordeaux and Paris, so it happened in France. This is very serious. Knowing that we don't know how to cure it and that it causes death. In fact, these are the first cases in Europe. I hope that we will find a solution quickly because it really looks like a thriller series where the end is not beautiful to see.

For the moment, when people talk to me about the end of the world, I see it like that at the moment. It's only January 25th, and there's a deadly virus spreading globally, Australia going up in flames, thousands of species of animals disappearing, strikes going on and on. Nothing is going right. And I thought, like everyone else, that in 2020 everything would be idyllic, flying cars, ecology above all, new healthy lifestyles... We are far from all these expectations and we go back to the basics of previous years. We are regressing. But I dare to hope that this is only a passage and that in 5 years time everything will be fine and that we will have found solutions to avoid the end of the world. We avoided it in 2012, why not now. Wouldn't it be silly to die of a virus when we've avoided a meteorite that destroys humanity?
Axelle Fardeau
Axelle Fardeau

Back to top Go down

Post by carolinemaggi Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:12 pm

I really enjoyed listen to David Bowie, thank you bc I didn't know this song.

Pff.... what an interesting and large topic! I don't know how to start. So I'll be brief Smile
First I think people won't really change. I mean, who believed the club of Rome? For many years people and scientists are telling to the world that our acts were killing the planet, with proofs, but the majority of people didn't change their behavior. So, will they change if the world will die in 5 y ?
carolinemaggi
carolinemaggi

Back to top Go down

Post by Lisa Garcia Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:49 am

I totally agree with Axelle, I remember thinking about 2020 when I was little and telling myself that there would be flying cars, that robots would be among us .. to tell the truth it scared me a little that the world was evolving in this direction .. and well in reality it scares me even more that the world evolves as it does today ..

The worst part is that we are aware that we are destroying our planet, that we are polluting, that we have practices that are not very ecological, but nothing stops us. As Jacques Chirac said it so well already in 2002 "Our house is burning and we are looking elsewhere". This is so true, we pretend to see nothing hoping that the disaster will stop by itself .. it would really take drastic rules to force people to make ecological gestures, even myself, I am one of those people who know that they do not really make ecological gestures but who does nothing to change that .. it's sad to say but I really think that I would react if someone imposed rules on me to be greener ..

In any case, these next years worry me, I wonder how we will be able to reverse the trend.
Lisa Garcia
Lisa Garcia

Back to top Go down

Post by Camille GENNESSON Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:16 pm

Wow ! 5 years ? Really ? So we would have spend our entire life at school... SO BAD. It's hard to become aware of it...

And, like Axelle said, maybe we don't really have so much time. This corona virus  scares me a lot because we don't really know what's happening in China... Maybe we're being kept in the dark about it.

And even if we survive to this virus, maybe a WW3 would beging soon? And if we survive to it too, there would be another virus, another war, another thing caused by our bad comportement with the environment...

Well, while I'm writing this commentary, I'm realizing that I'm a veryyyyyy pessimist person. Sorry guys ! Razz

Anyway, have a good day ! (think about the fact it may be one of your last Twisted Evil)
Camille GENNESSON
Camille GENNESSON

Back to top Go down

Post by Emma Vancostenoble Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:17 pm

I'm on your side Camille ! We can be pessimistic because it's gonna get harder.

How can we "force" the whole world to change its way of life so that the planet can survive ?
Already, in 2010, we were not so far-sighted and we would never have imagined that, 10 years later : the planet would be dying (ice melts and the permafrost contains millions of years old viruses, Australia almost entirely burned, etc...).
Moreover, world powers are managed by sadistic, irresponsible and politically immature leaders. France is angry about pensions, Iran and the United States are close to atomizing, and so on. It's almost impossible for things to take a less serious turn than this, on all aspects.

One of the not-so-bad thing is the fact that there is a certain convergence of struggles during manifestations, and people are becoming increasingly aware of the climate and ecological emergency. Then, we can hope that capitalism dies, if miracles exist....
Emma Vancostenoble
Emma Vancostenoble

Back to top Go down

Post by AdélaïdeSagnes Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:44 am

Hi
I think that no matter how many people say that the earth is going to collapse in a month, no one would believe it. Because hope is life (I love that phrase).
Humans act like children, think in the short term.
We don't react fast enough. Scientists have been saying there's an emergency for a long time, but no one's been listening to them. When Greta says there's a problem, they say, "She's a kid," so ask the scientists!
We're walking on our heads.
The problem is that by saying that there is no hope, some say, in any case we will kill the planet, so we might as well keep our habits.

AdélaïdeSagnes

Back to top Go down

Post by katia katy Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:02 pm

Hello guys,

I don't think that people will know when is the end of the word. we should stay positive and leave each day like it's the last one even if things are getting worse

So we should act as good citizens, think about our planet, about the environment and about the future of our children and the future generations... I know it's easy to say but difficult to apply and to react, I totally agree with Lisa when she said that we do a lot of unecological things and we don't do anything to change ourselves...

Hope things will get better...

See you.
katia katy
katia katy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down